Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Northeast Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-17, 06:39 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I've always skipped Harlem because of its crashy reputation. That said, it is really weird seeing their prereg so low this year.
Old 06-16-17, 07:25 AM
Harlan
Tyrannosaurus Rexitis

Bikes: Scott Addict 6870

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
on another, more positive note, what's the good word with giro de cielo? it's a dead weekend in new england, thinking of heading down to nj for that.
We did it last year. I laid too much out during the TT and was sucking wind for the crit which equalled getting squeezed every.single.lap on the uphill. The RR isn't super challenging. Overall a well run event and a fun weekend. We are signed up again this year.
Old 06-16-17, 10:42 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
thanks for the info harlan!

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
I've always skipped Harlem because of its crashy reputation. That said, it is really weird seeing their prereg so low this year.
i'm not saying this is the reason harlem has low pre reg numbers but i am saying it might be a contributing factor...

Why I'm Not Racing Harlem Skyscraper This Sunday ? Pretty Damned Fast
Old 06-16-17, 10:53 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I had no idea that was going on!
Old 06-16-17, 11:14 AM
ShutUpLegs

Bikes: CAAD10 & Slice RS Black Inc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If anyone is looking for some good races this weekend, you can come to Lancaster, PA and race both Grandview Grand Prix (Saturday) and Race Avenue Crit (Sunday). Both great races.
Old 06-16-17, 11:17 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Harlem got 144 by pre-reg close. 42 in P12, 45 in 3/4, 20 in 5, 23 in 35+, 14 in W123. Still that can't cover more than 20% of their costs so either they have lots of sponsor money or they're losing money.
Old 06-16-17, 11:18 AM
Matt2.8NJ
una carrera contrarreloj

Bikes: Venge, Tarmac, Cervelo P2

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i'm not saying this is the reason harlem has low pre reg numbers but i am saying it might be a contributing factor...

Why I'm Not Racing Harlem Skyscraper This Sunday ? Pretty Damned Fast

I can appreciate her moral outrage, but the economic realities of bike racing promotion dictate that giving massive prize money to tiny fields has little return to a cash strapped event.
Old 06-16-17, 11:20 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
@mike868y, Cielo:

TT is tough and doing well requires willingness to descend on the sticks. Also you need to balance burying yourself vs saving something for the crit the same afternoon.

I've done the crit course so many times I could tell you where every crack in the pavement is. It's a fast fun course, but not at all technical, arguably more of a short circuit race than a crit. There are only 2 corners, and the 2nd one goes immediately into a fairly steep 8-10 second hill, which is about 40 seconds from the finish.

The road race is generally flat and boring with only three turns per lap. There is a 1-minute? hill at the start of each lap where stuff happens sometimes. The finish is a 1-2 minute fast downhill into about a 10 second uphill sprint.

The main appeal of the event is that it's very low-key. The club that runs it is friendly and mellow.
Old 06-16-17, 11:21 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
On Facebook, Elspeth Huyett has written a response to the woman who is boycotting Harlem. There are several big names that have commented on her post. I don't know how to link directly to a FB post, or else I would.
Old 06-16-17, 11:35 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by topflightpro
On Facebook, Elspeth Huyett has written a response to the woman who is boycotting Harlem. There are several big names that have commented on her post. I don't know how to link directly to a FB post, or else I would.

https://www.facebook.com/elspeth.huye...09416033505911
Old 06-16-17, 11:54 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Thank you.
Old 06-16-17, 12:06 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Matt2.8NJ
I can appreciate her moral outrage, but the economic realities of bike racing promotion dictate that giving massive prize money to tiny fields has little return to a cash strapped event.
it's not that hard:
1) decide how much money you can afford/are willing to give away as prizes
2) divide equally between genders
3) done.

prize money has never been and shouldn't be about giving the most back to the largest field, otherwise at most races the cat 4/5 would have the largest payouts.
Old 06-16-17, 01:23 PM
FFJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Equality aside, it takes chutzpah to complain about a $2500 purse for a field of 14 AMATEUR bicycle racers. Total entry fees of $560.

Also, if the ask is for equality, why not also point out that this guy is charging men P/1/2s a $10 higher entry fee than women.
Old 06-16-17, 02:07 PM
Matt2.8NJ
una carrera contrarreloj

Bikes: Venge, Tarmac, Cervelo P2

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FFJ
Equality aside, it takes chutzpah to complain about a $2500 purse for a field of 14 AMATEUR bicycle racers. Total entry fees of $560.

Also, if the ask is for equality, why not also point out that this guy is charging men P/1/2s a $10 higher entry fee than women.

Thanks for expressing that better than I did above. This /\ /\ is what I was trying to get across, Mike. More to do with revenue per field leading to more prize money per field. Unless someone could well and truly make a business case that attracting elite racers leads to more entries into the rest of the fields you typically find at an event.
Old 06-16-17, 02:45 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt2.8NJ
Thanks for expressing that better than I did above. This /\ /\ is what I was trying to get across, Mike. More to do with revenue per field leading to more prize money per field. Unless someone could well and truly make a business case that attracting elite racers leads to more entries into the rest of the fields you typically find at an event.
It kinda does. To a point.

Most of the "big races" are big races because of the field sizes and turnouts, and the "eliteness" of the event.

Especially in cross, where the northeast UCI races are a pretty big deal, but also think: Red Hook, GMSR, Killington, the old Battenkill... they all have big pro turnouts.

But who can say which is he chicken and which is the egg? Pros make elite, or elite draws pros? I'd guess, barring some well known organizer with a big promotion push or big name, they have to evolve together. And these days the big names are all investing in Fondo$.
Old 06-16-17, 04:00 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FFJ

it's not the money, it's the principle.

last year when payout was the same, reg fee was also the same.

https://www.bikereg.com/31099

Last edited by mike868y; 06-16-17 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-16-17, 07:25 PM
FFJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's not the money, it's the principle.

last year when payout was the same, reg fee was also the same.

https://www.bikereg.com/31099
But businesses survive on profits not principles. If races have to take a loss to host women's races, they are going to just stop offering those races.
Old 06-17-17, 08:00 AM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's no that simple though and I would argue that at least in new england (or more specifically the boston crowd) the market forces overwhelmingly support equal payout. you're fooling yourself if you think the prize money debate hasn't hurt nutmegs numbers the past few years or if moving to equal payout hasn't helped quabbin the past few years. maybe not all racing scenes are like this, but I certainly think having equal payouts helps races turnouts in all fields. and i certainly don't think lowering the men's payouts to pay the women more HURTS turnouts.
Old 06-19-17, 06:03 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by FFJ
But businesses survive on profits not principles. If races have to take a loss to host women's races, they are going to just stop offering those races.
Good.

LOLing at earlier comments that I must think equal payouts are easy because I don't care about bike racing and haven't thought it through. Yeah. That must be it. It's not like there are zillions of examples of races that do the right thing and haven't gone under instantly.

This is still nothing but excuses. Putting on a bike race without losing money is hard, but it has literally nothing to do with whether or not your prizes are equal. Offer a smaller prize purse if you have to - I promise you, if your event is well-run, people will still show up and give you their money.

Stop with the mealy-mouthed excuses about how you can't afford it. You can. You're not running the Tour de France, here. Stop with the crap about how you have a better idea to help women's racing than what the thunderous chorus of active women racers are telling you, which is to treat them with fairness, respect and equality.

Doing the right thing is actually really easy, but it means you have to put aside all your "yes, buts" and DO IT. Believe me, the time when unequal payouts were acceptable has passed. People *will* start leaving your events for the ones that treat everyone better. Not just the women, but the men as well. Better to get on board now.
Old 06-19-17, 06:18 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by grolby
Good.
errr greg i think by "those races" he meant the women's races in particular not the event as a whole.
Old 06-19-17, 06:20 PM
FFJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
Stop with the crap about how you have a better idea to help women's racing than what the thunderous chorus of active women racers are telling you, which is to treat them with fairness, respect and equality.
Did you read Elspeth's post and the replies to it from women racers? I'm not sure how you can interpret that as a "thunderous chorus" advocating for equal payouts across the board. The issue is more nuanced than you want to give it credit.

Also, payouts for amateur racers are stupid and should go away.
Old 06-20-17, 02:07 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
FYI, not sure how well publicized this is yet, but NEBC has worked to apparently reopen a velodrome up in NH, some details here https://www.bikereg.com/northeast-velodrome-membership
Old 06-20-17, 02:50 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Do you guys really believe it's "the right thing" to hand out thousands in charity simply based on gender? I mean, if someone wants to hand out cash, whatever. But to actually believe it's somehow deserved? Take out the desire to force things to be equal based on political-correctness, and how would one argue for $5000 to a 14 person field of ANY gender?

I bet hell will freeze over before one of you opens your wallet and hands someone 5 grand simply because she is a woman. This has absolutely nothing to do with gender inequality - I'd bet good money the same thing would happen to the men's purse if the fields were that low.

Of course I have this crazy philosophy where I don't think people "deserve" anyone else's resources.

*Edited to remove some steam from my post.

Last edited by aaronmcd; 06-20-17 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-20-17, 02:54 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
I think you've gone off the deep end there.
Old 06-20-17, 03:00 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
I think you've gone off the deep end there.
Maybe it could be considered a tad "P&R" I guess (though I think it's more of an underlying philosophy thing), but I'm not the one bashing someone for NOT giving handouts to minuscule fields.

Really I shouldn't have dared venture into this thread in the first place lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.