Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need rear shock for 90s Gary Fisher

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-19, 01:02 AM
ChrisAlbertson

Bikes: 70's frame, newer parts

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts

I just got a free 1998 vintage full suspension bike. It's a Gary Fisher Joshua X. It looks to be in nice shape with original tires with little wear. The bike has Shimano Deore XT shifter, derailers and brakes I think it has been in storage for 20 years it looks like new

One catch. There is no rear shock. OK, there was a rear shock included in the deal but it does not seem to fit the frame. It's an old Strada Shock Pro that does not fit. It has too much bulk in the front.

The obvious question is what to get. It does not make sense to spend $500 on a 1990s bike. Just so I could ride it around on the sidewalk I drilled two 8mm holes in a 6" steel bar. This locks the rear suspension up stiff but is not the solution I want. I want to use this bike for trail riding. Most of my riding is on my road bike but every few weeks I want to ride on dirt. I will likely never be a skilled MTB rider as I mostly ride my road bike. Is there a decent low-end line of shocks?

I found some on-line photos of this bike that show it with a rear shock installed. Mine looks like the top photo with all the yellow parts and has the yellow forks from the lower photo.

EDIT: I added the following just in case anyone else wants to know. (PM me and I'll explain in more detail how to modify a DNM shock)

Thanks for all the suggestions and information: I finally put a new shock on the old bike. Here is what I did: I bought a DNM "Damping 2" shock on Amazon for $45. It is a 750-pound/inch coil shock with adjustment for preload and rebound only. It is "basic" but comes with a lifetime warranty. Before I bought it I email the factory in Taiwan (not China!) and they told me that if I pressed out the bushings the machined aluminum strut would be 14mm wide with a 14mm hole. Same on each end. They supply standard with bushings for modern bikes. But these can be removed with drift and mallet or a press. This does not void the warranty.

I removed the factory bushings that were made of engineering-grade plastic and aluminum then I machined the parts to be 15mm and 21mm long using a small metal lathe. The parts were then pressed back in place. Using a lathe makes it look like it came from the factory this way but the job could be done with a hack saw and a file. (This is a 23-year-old bike, not a rocket.)

I tested the suspension for sag and lucky it was dead on with the factory setting with about 20% of travel with my weight in the saddle. This is a $5 shock, not a $450 shock so you can't expect much. But even so, to rebound can be adjusted such that the suspension does not rebound much. I think this is 75% as good for 10% of the cost.

Now the next annoying thing to correct is the lack of adjustable seat post. I don't want to have to carry a wrench in my pocket. So to track down a 35.5mm q/r clamp...

I do like the 26" wheels as I have short legs, bigger would be just too big.

Last edited by ChrisAlbertson; 01-12-20 at 09:51 PM.
Old 12-29-19, 10:56 AM
'02 nrs

Bikes: 1938 claud butler,1983 Basso,teledyne titan,teocali super,nrs,1993 stumpjumper fsr,Paramountain,Paramount Buell(sold),4 banger,Zaskar LE,Colnago Master Ibex MTB,1987ish,.etc....

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 2,962 Times in 1,492 Posts
this the one?

tried installing the shock either direction?
Old 12-29-19, 12:42 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Yes. Very much like that photo. Some parts are different but the shape and kind of frame as the same.

Yes, I did try flipping the shock. But the shock has a wide (40mm ?) bushing at on end and a narrow (25mm ?) on the other and the rear mounting point on the frame will not accommodate the wide mount on the shock. For frame's from mount is wider then the rear

The shock "almost" fits. If I remove bushings from the shock so it rattles in the mount it fits but is jameed in there and contacts the frame (and chips the paint) at the extremes of motion. And that is only if I remove bushing for a sloppy fit. With proper busing, it can not even be mounted to the frame.

Today I will ride the bike for a few minutes with a steel bar in place of the shock to see if the frame geometry is reasonable for me. I think it will be OK. I'l post pictures after Bike Forum removes the bloxk they apply to new users.

Last edited by ChrisAlbertson; 12-29-19 at 12:50 PM.
Old 12-29-19, 02:50 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 436 Posts
If you have a local Trek dealer, check and see if they can advise the correct shock for the bike-they may even be able to get one for you. If really lucky, maybe they might have one laying around in the shop.
Old 12-31-19, 04:59 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Regarding the shock that came with it, have you tried it flipped in 4 possible configurations to see if it fits?

I believe the shock size for that should be 6.5' x 1.5". That is, the center to center distance between the two mounts should be 6.5", and the total travel of the piston should be 1.5".

You could look for a used fox float or something like that, but then you need to make sure the mounting hardware is the same, and replace if not.
Old 12-31-19, 10:08 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Some more information:

Yes, the shock size is 6.5 x 1.5. I have a steel bar in place of the shock that has 8mm holes drilled 6.25 inches apart and it makes the bike into an overly complex hardtail.

Each end of the shock mounts between a pair of tangs that are welded to the frame. The end of the shock must be narrow enough to fit between the tangs. The internal space between the tangs is; Front - 15.5mm, Rear 21.5 mm

There are many 6.5 inch shocks but that 15.5mm measurement means that all I've seen so far don't fit.

As for flipping the existing shock. the 21.5 mm end will not fit between the 14.5 mm tangs.
Old 01-01-20, 02:31 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Should be able to find something on amazon
Old 01-01-20, 03:03 PM
ChrisAlbertson

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Should be able to find something on amazon
One would think so but the ends are too wide.
I'm about to buy a $50 shock there with 8x24 ends and put it on my milling machine and take 5 mm off each side to make it fit the frame. (I assume this would void the warranty)

See the photo below, most current shocks are like this. But to fit the old Gary Fisher bike that 24mm dimension needs to be reduced to 15mm on one end and 20 mm on the other end. Milling it risks damage but the Amazon shock is only $50.

Last edited by ChrisAlbertson; 01-01-20 at 06:32 PM.
Old 01-01-20, 04:27 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
Are the bushings/mounting spacers replaceable? I would go the “searching for new mounting hardware” route first.

Last edited by frankenmike; 01-02-20 at 02:46 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
Old 01-02-20, 04:31 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by frankenmike
Are the bushings replaceable? I would go the “searching for new bushings” route first.
I think the bushings inserts themselves are just one size, but the mounting hardware (bolt, sleeve, spacers) is usually available to fit different frame mounts (different spacing and bolt size)
Old 01-02-20, 02:39 PM
frankenmike 
mechanically sound

Bikes: Indy Fab steel deluxe, Aventon cordoba, S-works stumpy fsr, Masi vincere, Dahon mu uno, Outcast 29 commuter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 53 Posts
https://www.tftuned.com/tech-help/71...or-rear-shocks
See if these guys can supply the proper mounting kit.
Old 01-02-20, 03:25 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
I see
Old 01-06-20, 09:49 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Try your bike store first, they might have some leads.