Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Best Puncture Resistant Tires?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best Puncture Resistant Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 01:10 PM
jonboehm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 Specialized Armadillos
Old 03-02-20, 01:12 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by mjac
Well, people kept coming back at me with, " Flats are inevitable, you can not stop 100% of all flats." The attitude was why even try just bear with it and do repairs. They were willing to be exposed to higher vulnerability of flats for better performance in whatever terms you want to use, rolling resistance, handling, traction...and I respect that. But my position is, and it is my position not pushing it on anyone else, I wanted a tire system that eliminated as many flats as possible,no compromises, with at least descent, just descent, ride ability.Puncture Resistance was on the top of my list for a number of reasons which there is no use going into here. But it was important to me. Jokingly aside, what tire has the highest rolling resistance? A Flat one.
That's what everyone wants...no one is trying to say it's a bad thing to want...we're saying everyone has tried to find it over and over and no one's found the unicorn.

Todays tires are actually much much more flat resistant than tires were 20 years ago. I went from 2-3 flats/year, to no flats caused by a puncture for like 3 years.

​​​​​​We've watched years of new products coming out and posters cheerleading them here on the forum, only to inevitably get a flat on them anyways. Tubeless + Slime was the last one. Tubeless "never gets flats" people said here. Well, I sat staring at my flat tubeless tire marking the spot of the flat with green slime gushing out of it in the arizona desert.

You can go airless but the ride is poor and there's additional risk the airless tube will roll off the rim.

The most flat resistant air filled tire is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

But being that nothing is completely flat proof, a lot of people just ride a regular flat resistant tire. gp400's are popular. I prefer a Specialized tire with a cushier ride.

Everyone wants what you describe. If it existed you wouldn't be here asking about it. You would have simply bought it at your local shop as the only tire they sell to non-racers and not even thought twice about it.

Last edited by PaulRivers; 03-02-20 at 01:29 PM.
Likes For PaulRivers:
Old 03-02-20, 01:32 PM
myklane

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Continental 4 season

I've been riding these for years zero flats. I'm 6.4 240lbs so they are tested heavily 😁

In a previous thread I asked what was the best self sealing 700 X 25 tube there is and was shot down on all fronts. The factory self sealing tubes don't work. Injecting tubeless mountain bike sealant into your tube doesn't work with narrow high pressure tires and the puncture resistant strips not only don't work and but can actually cause flats.

So I am going to try a different tack since I want to avoid flats at all costs. Without any regard to weight, what is the best puncture resistant tire on the market? I have heard of Continental's Gator Skins...Thanks,mjac
Old 03-02-20, 02:10 PM
Bnystrom

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sealant works just fine in road tires and I've been using it for close to 15 years in 25mm clinchers and even narrower tubulars. Granted, I never run more than 90psi these days, but it works fine and I often go multiple seasons without getting a flat.
Old 03-02-20, 02:36 PM
mud711

Bikes: Fuji Professional 2.0, Specialized Robaix SL4 Expert

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Best Tires

I have followed this thread in its entirety. Personally I use Specialized road tires, 700 25/28. Have used Gatorskins in the past with good success. But I must say in regards to this thread, I'm glad no one asked which is the best chain lube!
Old 03-02-20, 05:03 PM
mjac

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by myklane
I've been riding these for years zero flats. I'm 6.4 240lbs so they are tested heavily 😁
What type of flat protection system do they have? Do they have a Aramid Band? I would assume they roll a little better then Gator Skins by the same Company. I will look into them...Thanks,mjac
Old 03-02-20, 05:05 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I've been riding the 4-Seasons for 2 years. Beyond being flat resistant, they roll fast and grip really
good when the pavement is wet.
Old 03-02-20, 05:23 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Just got a brand new Specialized E5 Comp, with the Specialized factory tires. They are 700c/35mm and I don't have a
lot of faith in tires. I've never had Schwalbe tires before, but I'm going to order the Schwalbe Marathon
Plus tires before the Midwest riding season starts.

Last edited by altondavis2; 03-02-20 at 05:55 PM. Reason: grammar update
Old 03-02-20, 06:01 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
That's what everyone wants...no one is trying to say it's a bad thing to want...we're saying everyone has tried to find it over and over and no one's found the unicorn.

Todays tires are actually much much more flat resistant than tires were 20 years ago. I went from 2-3 flats/year, to no flats caused by a puncture for like 3 years.

​​​​​​We've watched years of new products coming out and posters cheerleading them here on the forum, only to inevitably get a flat on them anyways. Tubeless + Slime was the last one. Tubeless "never gets flats" people said here. Well, I sat staring at my flat tubeless tire marking the spot of the flat with green slime gushing out of it in the arizona desert.

You can go airless but the ride is poor and there's additional risk the airless tube will roll off the rim.

The most flat resistant air filled tire is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

But being that nothing is completely flat proof, a lot of people just ride a regular flat resistant tire. gp400's are popular. I prefer a Specialized tire with a cushier ride.

Everyone wants what you describe. If it existed you wouldn't be here asking about it. You would have simply bought it at your local shop as the only tire they sell to non-racers and not even thought twice about it.
I am not getting my point across. I am not looking for perfection. Given the technology toda, I want the best puncture resistant system that is available today that at least provides a descent ride. Whatever level of protection that is, I will accept it. But I want the system that provides that level that is available. To me flat protection is more important then rolling resistance.
Old 03-02-20, 06:04 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by WinterCommuter
i’ve had very good luck with conti gator skins. I’ve also had good luck with spec armadillos. Of course, the watching the road diligently is the most important thing.
Hard Case or Foldable? Where you satisfied with the quality of the ride? The people here have just trashed their ride. Passable or not?
Old 03-02-20, 06:51 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I am not getting my point across. I am not looking for perfection. Given the technology toda, I want the best puncture resistant system that is available today that at least provides a descent ride. Whatever level of protection that is, I will accept it. But I want the system that provides that level that is available. To me flat protection is more important then rolling resistance.
That's the thing. You can't have both maximum flat protection and a "decent" ride. Ask as many times as you want, it's not possible. You have to decide what is most important and go from there.

Maybe it would be helpful for this thread if you shared what kind of tires you're using now, what size, and how many flats you've had with them. What caused the flats?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-02-20, 09:13 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Then you should get Schwalbe Marathon Plus's, end of story kinda.
Old 03-02-20, 09:25 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
That's the thing. You can't have both maximum flat protection and a "decent" ride. Ask as many times as you want, it's not possible. You have to decide what is most important and go from there.

Maybe it would be helpful for this thread if you shared what kind of tires you're using now, what size, and how many flats you've had with them. What caused the flats?
Perhaps your experience surpasses mine and I defer to that. But the understanding that you can not achieve a just a descent ride from the highly puncture resistant tires is hard to imagine. There are several people on this thread who have stated their hard case Gator Skins which they have ridden for 8 years or more offers them an acceptable ride on their commutes where getting in on time without flat delays is important and Gator Skins are the worst of the lot in ride ability. But I will compromise with you on this point, I will look for the highest puncture resistant tire that still gives a descently good ride even if you lose a little puncture resistance.

The tires that are going to end up on the bike right now are a 700X23 hard case Bontreger triple flat protection in the front and a 700X28 Bontreger with an Aramid Band in the rear. I don't get many flats outside of Presti Valves splitting at the base and in the past flats caused by casing deterioration in some tires I bought used. But I want to avoid as many flats as possible to prevent getting into a situation that is going to be trouble.
Old 03-02-20, 09:40 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by PaulRivers
Then you should get Schwalbe Marathon Plus's, end of story kinda.
I hear that and many,many people have mentioned Schalbe Marathon Plus and right when you are set to decide people come along and say Hard Case Gator Skins roll better then Marathons and Gator Skins are said to be one of the worst for ride.Boom. Back to square one.
Old 03-02-20, 10:25 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
The tires that are going to end up on the bike right now are a 700X23 hard case Bontreger triple flat protection in the front and a 700X28 Bontreger with an Aramid Band in the rear. I don't get many flats outside of Presti Valves splitting at the base and in the past flats caused by casing deterioration in some tires I bought used. But I want to avoid as many flats as possible to prevent getting into a situation that is going to be trouble.
I'm curious why you are so reluctant to share any information about the flats you've had. (Still nothing on brand, model, size...) Seems like it would be really helpful in addressing them, instead of just starting threads about tires and tubes.

Tubes splitting at the base sounds like user error, like maybe you're screwing the nut on too tight (I don't use them at all.)
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-03-20, 03:28 AM
SDkid605

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Had to look that up, "goatheads"

Where I'm from, they are called "cockleburrs, or sandburrs" I think.

My elementary school's playground had many of them; we still played there and laughed off getting stuck with them.

My dog's coat would always collect them as well; felt sorry for him and had to keep picking them out as best I could.

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
For my money? Schwalbe Marathon Plus.

No tire is perfect (and Gatorskins are good). Sharp metal object will puncture even the most 'bulletproof' tire, but for glass, goatheads, etc., then the Marathon+ is great.

FWIW, I think tire liners causing flats is a grossly exaggerated problem, and at most, you might have to sand smooth the edges of a liner to a nice taper (I have been running tire liners in my streetbikes, mtn bikes, and now recumbent and velomobile for over 20 years, and never had a flat caused by the liner.

Since most of my riding is commuting (although I do ride a lot for fun, I don't have separate machines for that), I go with what is the most flat proof. I'd rather be a little slower, but be able to get to work without worrying about flats.

Currently: Velomobile - Marathon+ (2 x 20" front) 26" rear with Mr. Tuffy liners. The fronts also have Flat Attack sealant in them (the rear doesn't currently). My recumbent is running Schwalbe Kojaks, which are a little faster, but I also have liners in them.

I check my tires ~weekly. Last sunday, after a 30 mile ride, I checked my tires, and pulled a total of 3 mostly intact goatheads, and 8-9 broken thorns from goatheads out of my tires. No flats.
Old 03-03-20, 08:26 AM
mjac

Originally Posted by SDkid605

Where I'm from, they are called "cockleburrs, or sandburrs" I think.

My elementary school's playground had many of them; we still played there and laughed off getting stuck with them.

My dog's coat would always collect them as well; felt sorry for him and had to keep picking them out as best I could.
Was new to me too.
Old 03-03-20, 01:54 PM
WinterCommuter

Bikes: 2014 Trek Farley, 1993 Gary Fisher Paragon

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Hard Case or Foldable? Where you satisfied with the quality of the ride? The people here have just trashed their ride. Passable or not?
folding
Old 03-03-20, 02:33 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by WinterCommuter
folding
Was the ride acceptable?
Old 03-03-20, 07:13 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
For me, Continental RIDE Tour (formerly Tour RIDE). I have them on 4 bikes (two 26" and two 700c), and one set is from 2015. Never had a flat. Just a note, online info says the 700c ones are 80psi but the sidewall says 102psi max. Best thing is that they can be found online for ~$25.00.
Old 03-03-20, 07:18 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Was the ride acceptable?
You ask if the ride quality of Gatorskin tires is acceptable when you propose to degrade their well know poorish ride quality by installing tire liners. Every layer of puncture protection you add will degrade ride quality
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 03-03-20, 07:21 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
There is no best. There are dozens of brands and models within brands that are great. For normal or typical road conditions in California, I have always used different models of Bontrager/Trek hard-case lite clincher tires.
Old 03-03-20, 07:28 PM
mjac

Originally Posted by alcjphil
You ask if the ride quality of Gatorskin tires is acceptable when you propose to degrade their well know poorish ride quality by installing tire liners. Every layer of puncture protection you add will degrade ride quality
Like I have stated a dozen times puncture resistance is more important to me then ride quality as long as the ride quality is at least descent. I want to push puncture resistance right up to the point the ride degrades just a little too much. Whatever point that is. Ride quality is not paramount but would like it to be reasonable. If a liner pushes gator skins beyond that point we will have to look somewhere else. Won't know what combination will work unless you ask.

The tire with the most rolling resistance is a flat one.
Old 03-03-20, 07:38 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Won't know what combination will work unless you ask.

The tire with the most rolling resistance is a flat one.
Why the heck do I have to ask? There is a point where this whole thread is useless. You are so fixated on puncture protection that you are not looking at other causes of flat tires, none of which can possibly be addressed by puncture protection. Punctures are not the only reason for bicycle tire flats. If your previous flat tires were always caused by something on the road that punctured the inner tube of your tire, you are in the minority, my previous 6 flats were only once caused by a puncture from road debris

" The tire with the most rolling resistance is a flat one."
You continue to post this. I will say: Unless you figure out why you had a flat tire you will continue to have them

Last edited by alcjphil; 03-03-20 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-03-20, 07:50 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
mjac: Sometimes you just have to belly up to the bar and ask that fair maiden out. Try a few different brands and see what suits you best. There are numerous possibilities that will work for you.
Likes For CAT7RDR:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.