Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVII

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVII

Old 03-24-20, 10:29 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
We also have a guy in our cycling circle who got really sick in Nov and it took him six weeks to get better. The doctors “never figured out what it was” just that it was “viral”.

He has therefore concluded that he had coronavirus back in Nov, it’s been in SoCal since then and nothing bad has happened. Ergo, coronavirus is not a problem and we’re overreacting.

He now just states when commenting on other’s posts that he had coronavirus back in Nov. And I’ve had mutual friends say things like, “Did you see Stoopid’s post about how he was sick over the winter, and it was actually coronavirus?”

We are doomed.
Old 03-24-20, 10:36 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8194 Post(s)
Liked 8,870 Times in 4,402 Posts
I don't get the minimizing thing. Experts pop up all over and deny the whole pandemic.
Old 03-24-20, 10:42 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
On a cheerier note: when I walk the dogs, I walk right past a Christmas tree farm/lot. The guy who works there has a super soft spot for Puppy Love.

Today there was high excitement when Puppy Love spotted a rabbit, which bolted under the fence and into the Christmas tree lot, then under the hut they use as an office. Puppy Love squeezed between an opening in the gate, got to the end of her leash and was barking at the rabbit. Our friend came out of the office with some dog biscuits to say hi.

I recently learned the Christmas tree farm is owned by the same folks who own the landscape nursery that planted our birch tree for us. It’s where I was thinking I’d go to discuss which type of fruit tree to get for the front yard. Since I had the guy right there across the fence, I decided to pick his brain.

He thought definitely citrus because it grows so perfectly where we live. Blood orange was his top pick. He advised against limes, they’re a little fussy in our area.

He tells me he he has a beautiful large blood orange tree actually in the Christmas tree lot, and there’s some smaller ones at the retail lot. Amazingly they’re open because they’re farmers.

​​​seedsbelize I think I will go pick myself a nice Moro Blood Orange tree this week, and stimulate the local economy some.
Likes For Heathpack:
Old 03-25-20, 01:56 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 1,932 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Jadesfire
I had to go to Wally World today (and was dreading every minute of it). Luckily, there were not too many people there, but the ones that were, were not social-distancing. I almost went full-Karen on the store manager because they had one woman- who looked to be in her late seventies- walking around in her street clothes, only wearing a pair of nitrile gloves, wiping down the electronic equipment with a wash cloth she occasionally dipped into a bucket of liquid in her cart. I asked her which disinfectant she was using. It turned out to be their normal cleaner than they use on everything all the time, the main ingredient being 6.5% ammonium hydroxide, which I sincerely hope I am wrong in thinking that it has not been found effective against covid.
"Well, I have to use what they give me. It's what we use all the time and there's really nothing better out there. Anyway, what does it matter? They haven't found anything that will kill the virus, have they?" She said to me. And came back to me, a little defensive like I was attacking her. I wasn't, I fully understood that she had to do what her employer said.
"Um, 10% bleach works just fine. That has been shown to work multiple times. Good luck to you, ma'am." I hope that got her to start questioning some things, but I doubt she's in a position to do so.
I just in that moment could not comprehend a way I could have a coherent conversation with the store manager without ending up on the news or part of a viral video. Still feel guilty about it, though, I probably should have tried to say something to someone higher up.
not to late to do so
Old 03-25-20, 04:32 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
I don't get the minimizing thing. Experts pop up all over and deny the whole pandemic.
All questions, no matter how objective, expert, or obvious the answers, are now political.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 03-25-20, 05:28 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by kissTheApex
her litter mate seems to find the food bowl all on her own
She probably wants to be petted while she eats. My sister's cat did that.
Old 03-25-20, 05:34 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Guess who just got a push reel mower?

Mowing of the lawns is now a zone 2 activity.

We got the Scotts one for the lawn here and it works really well if the grass is dry and not exceptionally tall, though it often requires multiple passes to be fully effective. The funny thing is, my watch auto-detects it as cycling.
Old 03-25-20, 05:44 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22516 Post(s)
Liked 8,845 Times in 4,115 Posts
Going downstairs to do fake miles. Tooth still hurts a little but maybe a little better, certainly no worse. I am hoping I can dodge a dental bullet, but still will ask my quasi-cousin to look at it after my ride. He is a cyclist too, although I don’t think he is a serious cyclist.
Old 03-25-20, 06:12 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 1,932 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Going downstairs to do fake miles. Tooth still hurts a little but maybe a little better, certainly no worse. I am hoping I can dodge a dental bullet, but still will ask my quasi-cousin to look at it after my ride. He is a cyclist too, although I don’t think he is a serious cyclist.
Try flossing? I have a couple of teeth that will hord items like sesame seeds or a piece of gristle, the next day I want to pull the tooth myself. Same feeling hurts below the gum line. Temps not a problem pressure is.
Old 03-25-20, 06:28 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by datlas
Good idea. You really don't want it to develop into something excruciating after it gets more difficult to get seen and treated.
Old 03-25-20, 06:47 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Well, IT tells me my PIV is blocked. The fix? Go physically to the card station and get it unblocked. **** that for a game of soldiers!
Old 03-25-20, 06:59 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I saw something very exciting last night - street sweepers, the first of the year! There's so much leftover sand and debris on the roads that it effectively makes the roads much narrower and increases the odds of punctures. If they're going to starts sweeping, I might be able to pop on the new tires soon.

But, of course, it's slated to start raining soon, on one of my ride days. Booo. Should still be able to squeeze in a short ride, I think.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-25-20, 07:02 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3332 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,228 Posts
I don't know if I have ever seen a street sweeper in IL.
Old 03-25-20, 07:26 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10894 Post(s)
Liked 4,560 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
I don't know if I have ever seen a street sweeper in IL.
Wut? I have to dodge them routinely.

Old 03-25-20, 07:27 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Good news: Our passport renewals are supposed to be here Friday
Bad news; Nowhere to go

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 03-25-20, 07:34 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

In other distancing news, my little subdivision has been looking like a walker racetrack since our SIP edict. I'm not much of a walker but since I didn't feel like riding yesterday, agreed to do a mile or so with my wife. We were soon joined by a new chatty neighbor who kept crowding us individually despite our attempts to move away. After our walk, we agreed that we should have been adamant about him staying 6' away and try not to be rude about it.

Old 03-25-20, 07:37 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
On a cheerier note: when I walk the dogs, I walk right past a Christmas tree farm/lot. The guy who works there has a super soft spot for Puppy Love.

Today there was high excitement when Puppy Love spotted a rabbit, which bolted under the fence and into the Christmas tree lot, then under the hut they use as an office. Puppy Love squeezed between an opening in the gate, got to the end of her leash and was barking at the rabbit. Our friend came out of the office with some dog biscuits to say hi.

I recently learned the Christmas tree farm is owned by the same folks who own the landscape nursery that planted our birch tree for us. It’s where I was thinking I’d go to discuss which type of fruit tree to get for the front yard. Since I had the guy right there across the fence, I decided to pick his brain.

He thought definitely citrus because it grows so perfectly where we live. Blood orange was his top pick. He advised against limes, they’re a little fussy in our area.

He tells me he he has a beautiful large blood orange tree actually in the Christmas tree lot, and there’s some smaller ones at the retail lot. Amazingly they’re open because they’re farmers.

​​​seedsbelize I think I will go pick myself a nice Moro Blood Orange tree this week, and stimulate the local economy some.

Old 03-25-20, 07:41 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 03-25-20, 07:41 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I'm going to tell you a bit about life in upstate NY in the late 1940s. You may know it as the close of the bronze age. At that time a few farmers were still using horses to work their fields. Archie, one of those farmers was a real character alright. I knew that even then as a boy of 10 years or so. I spent a lot of time at his farm, a mile away through the woods, as he had a handful of boys and, in addition to the draught horses, two for riding. One was a beautiful white pony with a black heart. He once ran away with me at a full gallup right into the barn. I thought I was going to die.

The other horse was a young gelding with a gentile disposition. I don't remember if I was about to go for a ride or had just returned from one. I do remember sitting on an old cavalry saddle that had a slot down the middle and was very uncomfortable. Perversely, in a quirk of the universe, my current bike saddle has a slot also but is very comfortable. Suddenly, Archie whipped off his hat, a railroad engineer type that was then sold at Agway, and slapped the gelding on the rump. The horse bolted, I did a cartoon type flip and landed on my tailbone. Archie, of course, thought this was hilarious while I had to suffer rough country humor and a sore tailbone.

One thing to be said about Archie, he enjoyed having kids around no matter what he was doing. Once he was working in a field pitchforking hay onto a horse drawn wagon. As usual, his boys, myself and maybe a another neighborhood boy or two, were riding atop the hay. Loose hay does not make a compact load like baled hay. It is more like a ship rolling at sea swaying left to right. I could see that on the hill we were crossing, on reaching the end of the field, Archie would have to turn the wagon just as the hillside got steeper. The scene I could clearly see in my young mind was of the wagon tipping over, capsizing so to speak, the horses would bolt and race away at a gallop, dragging the wagon behind, probably all the way to the barn. Anticipating this scene of destruction, I had my escape plan in place. As the wagon and hay went over I would jump clear and roll down hill to keep clear.

Sure enough, a minute later, just as imagined, the wagon tipped over, I jumped as planned and the horses just stopped amid a tangle of harness. It is a good thing draught horses, for all their size generally mild mannered creatures. The same cannot be said for Archie. I could hear him hollering which provided us boys the opportunity to expand out vocabulary. To this day my boyhood assesment of 70 years ago still holds. That Archie was a character alright.
Likes For berner:
Old 03-25-20, 07:49 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3332 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,228 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Wut? I have to dodge them routinely.
I am kind of out in the sticks and don't spend much time in the city.

When my wife and I moved in together at our condo in Boone County, she remarked that she was literally moving out to "the boonies".

Eyes were rolled.
Old 03-25-20, 08:44 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28451 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
<==Was walking before walking became cool

In other distancing news, my little subdivision has been looking like a walker racetrack since our SIP edict. I'm not much of a walker but since I didn't feel like riding yesterday, agreed to do a mile or so with my wife. We were soon joined by a new chatty neighbor who kept crowding us individually despite our attempts to move away. After our walk, we agreed that we should have been adamant about him staying 6' away and try not to be rude about it.
Old 03-25-20, 08:50 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Quoted: 11896 Post(s)
Liked 6,493 Times in 3,418 Posts
What's the high end of the A1C standard range again please, is it 6?

EDIT: never mind, looked it up. Duh!
Old 03-25-20, 09:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18327 Post(s)
Liked 15,308 Times in 7,235 Posts
I know what you mean. I went for a walk yesterday morning to simulate my usual walk to work. I saw several group of people jogging in pairs. Shoulder to shoulder. On one MUP I walked in the mud/grass to get a wide berth when it was clear people coming towards me were not going to move right.

Then I stopped by Whole Foods. Most people were not trying to steer clear of others At the fish counter they have marked out boxes with yellow tape where you are supposed to stand. One person per box. A couple of us were complying, but one woman was walking back and forth close behind us checking out the selection. I wanted to say something to her.
Old 03-25-20, 09:23 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by LAJ
Smudgepot drivers can't read anything, unless it has the word Bud, or Miller High Life in it...

It's weird.
Something displayed in camouflage motif gets their attention, too.
Old 03-25-20, 09:27 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jadesfire
I just in that moment could not comprehend a way I could have a coherent conversation with the store manager without ending up on the news or part of a viral video. Still feel guilty about it, though, I probably should have tried to say something to someone higher up.
Many times it's not worth battling windmills, despite the magnitude of the issue. Your mileage may vary.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.