Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help, what size chainring bolts?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-20, 01:58 PM
Champ340

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Hi unfortunately locked down so can't go to LBS for help and I snapped a chainring bolt. Hoping I can get some sent from overseas. Question what size chainring bolt do I need for these chainrings?

Many thanks as always.
Old 03-26-20, 02:23 PM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
Easiest way to match it is to remove another one and get accurate measurements.
The are a limited number of options, it will only take a few minutes to check.
I have a few available once you get the measurements.
rusty
Old 03-26-20, 05:02 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
I just had to replace a busted small chainring,and hunt down the correct bolts. As I was recently told by our best local shop, the bolt diameters tend to be standardized, but the lengths can vary. My set-up is the same as yours, 2 chainrings, 110 BCD, and I just got this set of these 8.5mm Truvativ steel bolts, and they fit like a glove.
And, I ordered last Saturday afternoon, and they made it across the country to my mailbox in Georgia less than 48 hours later (and for a mere $3 shipping) !
Here's a link.......
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/truvativ-steel-chainring-bolts?adl=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpfHzBRCiARIsAHHzyZqVWVvi_nrPETGY2CqZZ5vLf60fTd35o2Fq0
2S3jH0C8N1EAWmNaTkaAnoIEALw_wcB

PS, another positive side of these are that both sides are tightened with an Allen (hex) wrench (a 5 and a 6mm). Many of them seem to have an Allen on one side, and something kinda like a flathead screw slot on the other, that I believe is actually made for some proprietary tool, though I'm told a jumbo screwdriver will work.

Last edited by Brocephus; 03-26-20 at 07:53 PM.