Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Trek 2020 Domane as an all purpose ride?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 03-30-20, 08:11 PM
pattrick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

I am looking for a comfortable ride for the back roads and an occasional rail trail,which are fairly decent, well packed clay, and or crushed limestone. Reading reviews it seems to be a decent ride by most opinions. The only downside according to many is the weight which I can live with. I would like to run this with a 46x 36 set up. One poster here had an issue going to a 46 ring yet the SL7 is standard with a 46 Sram. A quick call to Trek said it should be no problem with Shimano ? My other concern is the frame itself. Being a bit old and old school I am pondering the viability of carbon fiber and it's durability for this purpose. Is carbon that susceptible to nicks and dings from the occasional stone? I have always shied away from carbon for this reason, but maybe it's time for a change of thought. Besides I just really like the looks, and if it rides half as well , why not. Currently with this virus issue getting to check these out in person or test ride one will be a while but still would like to be a little more informed . Guess I am just looking for that little push.
Old 03-30-20, 08:33 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I think the frame will be fine. The gearing you describe sounds too high, if it is 1X with a 46T chainring. I have a 46/30T 2X crank with an 11-36T SRAM cassette on my off-road wheelset, and I frequently need that lowest gear. The advantage of the 2020 Domane is they finally made it capable of taking wider tires, which is a major advantage for riding off-road (and on, in my case).
Old 03-31-20, 03:02 PM
pattrick

I am looking at the 105 version with a double chain ring. Hoping to run a 46 x 36 up front or possibly 46 x 34, with an 11-32 casette. It should give me enough to run the hills of western P.a..
Old 03-31-20, 03:47 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
A road bike isn't a gravel bike no matter what modifications you make to it. That doesn't mean with modification it will not be adequate but one will never equally replace the other.
Old 04-05-20, 09:09 AM
CORB52

Bikes: Trek Checkpoint SL6

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I test rode Domane and Checkpoint SL6

I'm in Western PA and wanted a top notch bike for all the great rail trails here. The Domane is faster but the Checkpoint is made for trails, with its tires and places to add more equipment etc. I put over 1500 miles on my Checkpoint SL6 last year and love the bike. I would recommend Trek bikes in Robinson (where I test rode and bought mine).
Old 04-07-20, 12:29 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat
A road bike isn't a gravel bike no matter what modifications you make to it. That doesn't mean with modification it will not be adequate but one will never equally replace the other.
On the other hand, a Trek Domane needs zero modifications to be an all-purpose bike that can provide a comfortable ride for the back roads and an occasional rail trail,which are fairly decent, well packed clay, and or crushed limestone.
The stock 32mm tires should handle those surfaces just fine, and the bike will still be plenty fast on-road. The frame can accommodate up to 38mm tires so there's loads of options if the OP wants something with more tread.

I wouldn't go out and race Dirty Kanza on one, but for this situation it seems like a great choice.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 04-07-20, 06:23 PM
pattrick

Originally Posted by BengalCat
Not looking for a heavy duty gravel bike. The trails I would use are probably smoother and in better condition than many roads. I have ridden them many times with 32's and have seen others with much smaller tires having no issues. As msu2001la stated I am just looking for a comfortable ride, 32's are probably as big as I will go. This will be used as a road bike for all intentions. Recently the road has just started to become a little rougher for me, old age, road conditions, who knows. This bike just caught my eye and everything I can find on reviews seem to be quite positive ,especially the smooth ride quality . Lynskey Ti was my only other consideration, I have a 2000 Tuscany with Campy that I really enjoyed but it just sits collecting dust. The roads and needs have changed I have thought about trying something new like the Sportive. Have always feared carbon fiber as delicate and it still worries me but maybe it's time for me to take a leap of faith. This bike, the Domane, just seems to have so much to offer for my needs. CORB52 thanks for the heads up on the dealer. Went to a local dealer and it was a bit sad. Treks were being touted as merely adequate but the Specialized Diverge was being pushed six ways to Sunday by them. They seemed to be clueless on the 2020 Domane changes. Was not impressed. May have to take the wife to Ikea for a shopping trip
Likes For pattrick:
Old 04-07-20, 07:14 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,043 Times in 1,169 Posts
Originally Posted by pattrick
. CORB52 thanks for the heads up on the dealer. Went to a local dealer and it was a bit sad. Treks were being touted as merely adequate but the Specialized Diverge was being pushed six ways to Sunday by them. They seemed to be clueless on the 2020 Domane changes. Was not impressed. May have to take the wife to Ikea for a shopping trip
It seems like you have a pretty good grasp of what bike you want. I as well knew in one case I wanted a Specialized Chisel hard tail mt.bike, I went to the LBS, told them I had done the research, knew I wanted that bike, so please order one and what size do you think I need. Done. Repeated that a year later when I purchased a Cannondale Topstone. The LBS only briefly mentioned other options, but they knew that I knew what would work for me and what the best options were going to be.

You are in the same position. The Domane is a good choice for what you have described as intended use, so I would have the shop work out correct sizing and order one.
Old 04-10-20, 11:36 AM
Emilio700

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 20 Posts
No issues whatsoever with rugged offroad use. Keep in mind the frameset was promoted for the pros to use in Paris Roubaix 7 years ago. Hitting those sectors at 32mph is probably more abuse than any of us will ever dish out.
My build 2020 Domane SLR specifically for gravel racing.
https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...vel-build.html
Likes For Emilio700:
Old 04-10-20, 05:37 PM
pattrick

That post was trouble!

That post pretty much pushed me over the edge. You certainly seem to be making the most of the new ride. Such a beautiful bike ! I had contacted Trek after reading your post and they said there should be no problems with a 46 ring with 105? If there is I may just have to follow suit with your build. I will either thank you or curse you but either way I truly enjoyed your post.
Likes For pattrick:
Old 04-10-20, 06:46 PM
Emilio700

Liked 42 Times in 20 Posts
The vertical adjustment slot in the braze on mount for the front derailleur is sized for a 50T at minimum. Probably a 54T on the other end. I found a round file that was the exact same size as the slot and lengthened that slot downward about 1 mm to get the correct derailleur height for my 46.
Likes For Emilio700:
Old 04-13-20, 05:00 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I wish I hadn't clicked that link, but maybe as a Coronavirus Pandemic survival present.
Old 04-17-20, 09:29 PM
gravelslider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
If you have any doubts or want to learn about other options and live in W PA you should go to SweetWater bikes in Ambridge, near Sewickley. They specialize in just gravel and have something like 20 different models of gravel bikes there on the floor, and also sell used ones. Some big brands and lots of high-end specialized gravel brands too. They have monthly shop gravel road rides I have been on. (I think suspended right now due to Coronavirus though). They even sell Open and Bombtrack brands which are hard to find in the area. My wife got her Jamis Renegade there and loves the place as they are really helpful and are gravel fanatics. They have dozens of gravel routes all over W PA if you ask them... It is unbelievable how much gravel they have mapped out within an hour of Pittsburgh. If you want to get into gravel in W PA they are definitely a shop to check out.

Last edited by gravelslider; 04-17-20 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-18-20, 06:24 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Can't the 2020 Domane now take 40mm tires? Most people at gravel grinders tend to use 38mm tires.
Old 04-19-20, 03:22 PM
Longfellow02

Bikes: Diamondback Cross Campus (1993), Trek Domane 2.3 (2016), Cannondale Topstone 105 AL (2020)

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've read that 40 mm tires on a 2020 Domane are a 'squeeze'.....Probably depends on the tire, as many are not true to size.

Does anyone know why the 2020 Domane is not offered in aluminum (other than with Sora and lower end group sets) ?
In previous years, the Domane's were offered in aluminum at the higher component levels.
Old 04-19-20, 06:53 PM
pattrick

Memories

Originally Posted by gravelslider
If you have any doubts or want to learn about other options and live in W PA you should go to SweetWater bikes in Ambridge, near Sewickley. They specialize in just gravel and have something like 20 different models of gravel bikes there on the floor, and also sell used ones. Some big brands and lots of high-end specialized gravel brands too. They have monthly shop gravel road rides I have been on. (I think suspended right now due to Coronavirus though). They even sell Open and Bombtrack brands which are hard to find in the area. My wife got her Jamis Renegade there and loves the place as they are really helpful and are gravel fanatics. They have dozens of gravel routes all over W PA if you ask them... It is unbelievable how much gravel they have mapped out within an hour of Pittsburgh. If you want to get into gravel in W PA they are definitely a shop to check out.
I have actually spent more time and money there than I am willing to admit. That was when Larry owned the shop. Such a gentleman to work with. Anything I could want he was able to obtain at decent prices. High end bikes? He either had them or sold / knew enough people that he could locate an example for me. If for some reason I can not get along with the Domane I may very well have to venture down that way again. I had heard the place slipped a bit after Larry retired, glad to here it is doing well. Unfortunately that was always a hike for me. For a reference I am twenty five miles from AGH hospital .
Old 04-20-20, 12:26 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Longfellow02
I've read that 40 mm tires on a 2020 Domane are a 'squeeze'.....Probably depends on the tire, as many are not true to size.

Does anyone know why the 2020 Domane is not offered in aluminum (other than with Sora and lower end group sets) ?
In previous years, the Domane's were offered in aluminum at the higher component levels.
Too much cross over with the Checkpoint would be my guess...In other news, because of this and a few other threads, I just ordered a Domane SL6. It will be here Wednesday...
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 04-20-20, 04:37 PM
gravelslider

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pattrick
I have actually spent more time and money there than I am willing to admit. That was when Larry owned the shop. Such a gentleman to work with. Anything I could want he was able to obtain at decent prices. High end bikes? He either had them or sold / knew enough people that he could locate an example for me. If for some reason I can not get along with the Domane I may very well have to venture down that way again. I had heard the place slipped a bit after Larry retired, glad to here it is doing well. Unfortunately that was always a hike for me. For a reference I am twenty five miles from AGH hospital .
The new folks running it are absolutely fantastic. They invest in all of their main mechanics by sending them out to Colorado to Barnett's for professional training, and are super helpful. I do not know any oter shops in the area that pay for their mechanics to go to Colorado for a week of training..

They kept the best parts about how Larry ran it and made other parts much better actually. (They cleaned the place up quite a bit too!) They will do anything for you and still will turn around something in a day if you really need it fast. They specialize in gravel now and do have just about everything you would want or will get it for you. They let my wife take a Renegade out for an overnight test ride before she bought it, and they even offer free beer and whiskey at the shop if you are so inclined (they run the Whiskey Rebellion Gravel 200k ride). My wife and I spend a lot of time there and they have a huge library of gravel routes around Pittsburgh that they have developed. I never knew there was so much gravel within an hour drive of the city. I just hope they come out okay after this COVID-19 quarantine thing that has just about all retail shut down in the prime biking season.
Old 04-28-20, 09:52 AM
jimjim58

Bikes: '18 Trek Domane SL6

Liked 30 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by yarbrough462
Too much cross over with the Checkpoint would be my guess...In other news, because of this and a few other threads, I just ordered a Domane SL6. It will be here Wednesday...
I ride a 2018 Domane SL6 (on road) with rim brakes, added a set of Aeolus XXX carbon wheels and love it. Just ordered a 2021 Checkpoint ALR 5 to kick around on off the beaten path.
Old 04-29-20, 08:58 AM
rafazx10

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Dont know how helpful this is, I recently got a 2020 Domane, my other bike is a Cannondale Slate.
Can i go on unpaved bike paths with the Domane? Yes. Is it as good as my gravel bike? No

The domane is capable, but the ride is bumpy and the smaller tires track roots

With the split of road/dirt you mentioned the Domane should be just fine, especially if you put some larger tires.
Old 04-29-20, 11:47 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by rafazx10
Dont know how helpful this is, I recently got a 2020 Domane, my other bike is a Cannondale Slate.
Can i go on unpaved bike paths with the Domane? Yes. Is it as good as my gravel bike? No

The domane is capable, but the ride is bumpy and the smaller tires track roots

With the split of road/dirt you mentioned the Domane should be just fine, especially if you put some larger tires.
What size tire do you run on the Slate and what did you run on the Domane for unpaved rides?
Old 04-29-20, 06:00 PM
Stash95

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was also considering this
Old 05-01-20, 09:21 AM
rafazx10

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
What size tire do you run on the Slate and what did you run on the Domane for unpaved rides?
Running 38 G-One on the slate
Stock tires on the Domane.
Old 05-01-20, 09:55 AM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by rafazx10
Running 38 G-One on the slate
Stock tires on the Domane.
Does the Slate have a suspension fork?
Old 05-13-20, 10:03 AM
rafazx10

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wsteve464
Does the Slate have a suspension fork?
No, my Slate is the rigid fork version.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.