Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Stretching into a big bike or cramming onto a small on

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 05-12-20, 10:13 PM
runhardturnleft

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been looking buy a new hardtail bike and am debating an L vs XL frame. L are a bit too small and an XL is a bit big. I currently have an XL and it fits okay but am thinking on maybe trying a L. My Question for you is it easier and more comfortable to stretch out an L or try an shrink an XL. I think my body type doesn't do me any justice because I am 6'0 with the limbs of someone who is 6'3". Thanks and I would appreciate any input.
Old 05-13-20, 06:28 AM
100bikes
Industry guy

Bikes: To many to name - I ride a custom built steel frame.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 48 Posts
IMO, the smaller bicycles is the better bet. Your torso length, which matters in the choice top tube length will be the dictating factor.
Especially for technical riding.

Easy to put a longer stem and seat post to match your specific needs( stems can be found up to 140mm in production models)
Cranks are available to 175mm lengths in most models and 180mm in some.

Female specific frames( if you can find them in taller sizes) might be an option.,
It is common for women to carry their height in the legs with shorter torso's.

You are a good candidate for a professional bicycle fit.
Have a discussion with a fitter prior to purchase and you may/will get more accurate advice.

rusty

Last edited by 100bikes; 05-13-20 at 06:33 AM.
Old 05-13-20, 09:09 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I’m 6’3 and just went through your exact dilemma. I stared at geometry charts for days, and when it comes down to it, you just need to ride em and see for yourself. If your inseam is ‘normal’ for 6-6’1, then you’re most likely an L in most brands. (For what it’s worth, I just bought a large Salsa hardtail)

General guide:
smaller=more maneuverable (some call this ‘fun’)
bigger= more stable

but I have a feeling you’re an L.
Old 05-14-20, 12:48 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
which bike are you looking at?
Stack height on a larger frame may not allow you drop down the bars sufficiently and you'll be riding more upright
Now with dropper seat posts you'll want more top tube clearance. Make sure the XL can accommodate a 125mm dropper or greater.
Old 05-15-20, 06:35 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by runhardturnleft
I have been looking buy a new hardtail bike and am debating an L vs XL frame. L are a bit too small and an XL is a bit big. I currently have an XL and it fits okay but am thinking on maybe trying a L. My Question for you is it easier and more comfortable to stretch out an L or try an shrink an XL. I think my body type doesn't do me any justice because I am 6'0 with the limbs of someone who is 6'3". Thanks and I would appreciate any input.
Are you talking about a specific bike model? And how do you know you are too big for a L and roo small for an XL? Did you try them?

And what about your current ride makes you think you might want to go smaller?
Old 05-15-20, 09:34 PM
runhardturnleft

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. I Have rode my brothers L Stache 7 a few times and had problems with my knees hitting the bars on corners. My biggest issue with riding a XL frame is I problems with upper body fatigue. Im in pretty good biking shape but my arms and shoulders fatigue long before I get winded or my legs tire. I think that I am leaning so for to the bars that I dont get the rest. I am leaning toward an L frame just and stretching it out a bit just to see if that will help some.
Old 05-16-20, 06:37 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by runhardturnleft
Thanks for the input. I Have rode my brothers L Stache 7 a few times and had problems with my knees hitting the bars on corners. My biggest issue with riding a XL frame is I problems with upper body fatigue. Im in pretty good biking shape but my arms and shoulders fatigue long before I get winded or my legs tire. I think that I am leaning so for to the bars that I dont get the rest. I am leaning toward an L frame just and stretching it out a bit just to see if that will help some.
Are you talking about a L Stache vs XL Stache?

It is a bit pointless to be agonizing over the size before you know what bike you are looking at. They don’t all fit the same. You may fit an L in one model but an XL in another.

Modern (as in last couple years) MTBs have gone with very steep sear tubes, which weights your bars more. Maybe the issue is that you want a slacker seat angle? Hard to tell over the internet.
Old 05-16-20, 06:49 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by 100bikes
Easy to put a longer stem and seat post to match your specific needs( stems can be found up to 140mm in production models)
Just to be clear, we are talking mountain bikes. Its been two decades since mtbs came stock with a 140mm stem. You would be hard pressed to find an mtb that comes stock with anything over 90mm now (and that is considered long) The L and XL Stache comes stock with a 60mm stem.

Originally Posted by 100bikes
You are a good candidate for a professional bicycle fit.
Have a discussion with a fitter prior to purchase and you may/will get more accurate advice.
Agree 100%

Last edited by Kapusta; 05-16-20 at 07:11 AM.