Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ever test ride at a bike shop and crash?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-24-16, 09:49 AM
topslop1

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

I'm curious if anyone has ever asked to test ride a bicycle from a bike shop and crashed the bike by accident.

Supposing you weren't interested in the bicycle and this happened.. what would protocol be? How would the shop deal with this?
Old 03-24-16, 09:50 AM
dbf73
TFO

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL7 eTap, Felt AR-B, Colnago Master Mapei

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
my lovely spouse did that once 5+ years ago, fell in the parking lot and broke her wrist, later requiring plate, screws etc. Nothing was ever said about the bike
Old 03-24-16, 10:00 AM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
I never crashed but, the seat tube on a carbon bike I was test riding broke at very bottom of the insertion point of the seat post. It broke in about in a perfect straight line about ¾ away around the seat tube. The LBS only asked if I was ok.
Old 03-24-16, 10:19 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
I would contact my retained attorney and sue the shop, city, and salesperson
Old 03-24-16, 10:26 AM
Ratzinger
Buddy

Bikes: 80s Gardin. Green fixed-gear. POS mountain bike.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wonder if stores would have insurance to cover this. At least here, stores apparently have insurance to cover stuff that gets broken by customers by accident.
Old 03-24-16, 10:30 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,491 Times in 2,844 Posts
I was testing a used car a long time ago.
Cruising down a fairly busy 2-lane road at 45mph...the hood popped open.
So there I am driving blind, trying to brake hard, and guess where my lane is while I get it stopped.
The wind did some damage to the hood & hinges.
Closed it, then drove slowly back to the dealer.
Old 03-24-16, 10:35 AM
dcsix

Bikes: 2011 Specialized Roubaix Comp SRAM Rival, 2008 LeMond Victoire Dura Ace, 1994 Santana Sovereign Tandem, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Shimano Deore, 1975 Raleigh Super Course Mark II

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ratzinger
I wonder if stores would have insurance to cover this. At least here, stores apparently have insurance to cover stuff that gets broken by customers by accident.
I have to believe that a shop's business insurance would cover damage, and probably more. That's not to say a shop wouldn't suggest to you that you are liable, since they'd rather just collect from you than hassle with insurance, but that attitude would be the exception, I think (I hope!). Our retail business insurance provider understands what we do and what our risks as a business are, that's why they're in the insurance business-not to worry.
Old 03-24-16, 11:07 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo
I was testing a used car a long time ago.
Off subject but I could not resist. A few weeks ago, my neighbor called me while I was at work. He was taking his new Jag in for its first service. He was waiting at the red light to turn left into a dealership. A lady was test driving a new Land Rover with a sales person and was stopped behind him. A box truck crashed into the Land Rover, which crashed into my neighbors Jag. All three vehicles were totaled but nobody was hurt. The diver of truck was an illegal immigrant with no license and no insurance. According to my friend, he did apologize though.
My poor neighbor had to drive home in one of my company vans that day.
And thanks for putting the jinx on the rest of us for the next time with test out a bike.
Old 03-24-16, 11:10 AM
topslop1

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
No problem. I was thinking about test riding a bicycle that I know I couldn't afford without giving up a liver. Wondered how bad of a situation it would be if I perchance went down on it by accident.

Mostly I'm personally interested in trying DI2 just as a knowledge point.
Old 03-24-16, 11:10 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Yes. Happened to me many many years ago. I was told to go ride around a parking lot, turned a corner and hit sand and the bike slid out from under me.

I was doing the test ride during my lunch break. I tore my work clothes up pretty good and ripped most of the skin off my hand. The bike suffered a scuff to the saddle and shift lever and one of the wheels was supposedly knocked out of true. Things got pretty contentious very quickly.

I was fairly young then, and ended up consulting with a lawyer, a friend of my father, who informed me that I was not liable for any of the damage, the shop was as part of its regular course of business. He also said that the shop should have had insurance to cover it, and that if I wanted, I was actually in position to sue the shop for my injuries and damages to my clothes... He also said I could sue the owner of the parking lot. The lawyer was also shocked that the shop did not require me to wear a helmet during the test ride.

I didn't want to sue. I ended up offering to pay the shop what I determined to be the difference between what they could get for the scratched parts versus what replacement parts would cost.
Old 03-24-16, 11:35 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I went to an electric bike expo a couple weeks ago where there were over 100 different electric bikes to try.
They constructed a track around the parking lot that had ramps and jumps, which is not a good combo for newbies.
I was only there about 20 minutes and personally witnessed three accidents. No one seemed to care.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 03-24-16, 11:50 AM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by topslop1
No problem. I was thinking about test riding a bicycle that I know I couldn't afford without giving up a liver. Wondered how bad of a situation it would be if I perchance went down on it by accident.
Are you hoping they will then sell it to you a discount since it had been in an accident..?
Old 03-24-16, 11:52 AM
CNC2204
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Protocol would be u just bought a bike ...

Ive raced & mechanic-ed motorcycles/bikes for decades.

We had a little old lady at a dealership pull out in front of a mechanic test riding a motocross bike.

Not only was he hurt and had medical bills but the owner took his paychecks to pay for the damage.

Legal, no but it was done.

I test rode one of these last summer at my dealership, nice bike electric shift 10K but i actually prefer my TARMAC.

If i wrecked the bike i would prolly had to get a loan to pay for it.

Last edited by CNC2204; 03-24-16 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-24-16, 12:01 PM
NILS14

Bikes: Specialized Secteur Sport 2015, Vitus Zenium VRS 2014

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last summer, the manager of this shop I go to often insisted I try his Nibali S-Works Tarmac. Everything went well but I almost crashed when I came back. What happened is I declipped my left foot while slowing down, then started falling on my right side with the bike.

Thankfully, I was able to declip my right foot just in time!
Old 03-24-16, 12:06 PM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 2,170 Times in 1,462 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro

I was fairly young then, and ended up consulting with a lawyer, a friend of my father, who informed me that I was not liable for any of the damage, the shop was as part of its regular course of business. He also said that the shop should have had insurance to cover it, and that if I wanted, I was actually in position to sue the shop for my injuries and damages to my clothes... He also said I could sue the owner of the parking lot. The lawyer was also shocked that the shop did not require me to wear a helmet during the test ride.
And this is why I despise those ambulance chasing lawyer types and those people in our society that want to sue over anything and everything. Of course the lawyer would say that - he's probably thinking what a nice cut he could get out of the settlement.
Old 03-24-16, 12:14 PM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Hmm, the only experience I have is we had a demo carbon mountain bike at our shop that the head mechanic was riding, but they also rented it out. Some guy rented it, took it to the mountains, and while it was on the back of his truck backed up into a tree. I'm fairly certain we charged him for a new frame (which, of course was discounted to the actual cost) and we moved all of the old parts onto the new frame.
Old 03-24-16, 12:20 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Years ago I was in Austin and passed by a Harley Davidson shop. The belt-drive Low Rider had just come out and they had one on display.

When I expressed interest in the bike the sales guy tossed the keys and said, "take her out and see what you think!" Didn't ask for a license, insurance, or even if I knew how to ride a motorcycle!

Fortunately I did not crash but I've always wondered what would have happened if I had...,
Old 03-24-16, 01:09 PM
topslop1

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Are you hoping they will then sell it to you a discount since it had been in an accident..?
No, that's pretty ****ty.. but after looking at top flight's story I might make out with cash money instead of a discounted bike!!!
Old 03-24-16, 01:35 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
You could ask the dealer before riding the bike.
Old 03-25-16, 06:16 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by topslop1

Mostly I'm personally interested in trying DI2 just as a knowledge point.
You break it, you bought it.

BTW...a good salesperson will, with questions, prequalify you before you get on the bike. It is usually pretty easy to tell if you are serious versus a tire kicker.
Old 03-25-16, 06:25 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Yes. Happened to me many many years ago. I was told to go ride around a parking lot, turned a corner and hit sand and the bike slid out from under me.

I was doing the test ride during my lunch break. I tore my work clothes up pretty good and ripped most of the skin off my hand. The bike suffered a scuff to the saddle and shift lever and one of the wheels was supposedly knocked out of true. Things got pretty contentious very quickly.

I didn't want to sue. I ended up offering to pay the shop what I determined to be the difference between what they could get for the scratched parts versus what replacement parts would cost.
That paragraph is exactly why we don't let anyone test ride a bike outside of our test ride area. But if one peruses this forum, you will read that they want 50 mile rides, but afterward don't want to be held responsible, nor do they want to buy the bike they test rode. It's a used bike...blah...blah...

As far as a helmet, indeed we make people wear one. More knashing of teeth.

Retail...it is a blast, especially these days in the entitlement world.

BTW...we have signs on the top bike racks, "Do not take a bike off the top rack. Get a salesperson for assistance." Guy decides to take a Madone off the rack, drops the bike on to the rack and snaps the seat stay. Frame is toast. And the guy is trying to get out of the store as fast as he can.
Old 03-25-16, 06:51 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
What a silly discussion! OP, why don't you ask the shop where you want to test ride the bike? Duh!

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 03-25-16, 08:40 AM
jsjcat

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone 4.5, 2013 Trek Domane 4.3, 2009 Trek FX 7.6

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What did the dealer say?
Old 03-25-16, 12:34 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
The shop would be liable for your injuries. Even if you were an idiot rider.

Liability insurance is part of the coat of doing business-- which is factored into the mark-up.
Old 03-25-16, 12:35 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Cost, not coat. Lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.