Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Continental GatorHardshell tire for audax bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-16, 02:42 AM
Ride-Fly

Bikes: Colnago Mix, Dean El Diente Ti S&S, Lynskey Cooper CX Disc Ti S&S, Mondonico Futura Legerro, DeRosa Primato, Tommaisini Tecno, Ciöcc Mokva80, Colnago Classic, Brompton M6L, Bob Jackson Audax End-E

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Continental GatorHardshell tire for audax bike?

I'm about to get an audax frame and would like to know if the experts here can recommend the GatorHardshell.

This will be my first audax/rando bike- most of my bikes are road race inspired rides, and I usually ride Vreds Fortezza Tricomps in 23s, or Conti GP4000s or 4Seasons in 25s. I really like both of these brands- they have good ride qualities and durability. So for the audax frame, I am wanting to run 28s or 32s. Should I stick with brands I know, or should I try a brand like Compass, or Panaracer Paselas- a more tradional touring/rando tire?

Thanks.
Old 09-29-16, 03:19 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
GP4000s come in 28. That would be my choice.
Old 09-29-16, 07:22 AM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I've used vittoria open corsa in 28mm this season, got about 5000km on them, they are pretty nice. I had a few punctures but I think the increase in speed and comfort was worth it. I also like the compass stampede pass in 32mm they are very comfortable but I don't have a lot of klicks on them yet. If you like the GP4000 you might just wanna stick with what you like.
Old 09-29-16, 03:31 PM
vwchad

Bikes: 2013 Focus Izalco Pro, Soma Grand Randonneur

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Gator Hard Shell is a very tough tire, but the ride like they are filled with concrete, IMO. I'm a big fan of the Compass tires, FWIW.
Old 09-29-16, 03:39 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
You should ride enough to wear out a bunch of tires and pick the one you like the best. (I'm still looking!)

I suspect the ride of, say, a 32 Gator at 80 psi will be smoother than the Contis you've been riding in 25 at 100 psi. If you want to smooth out a rough ride some more, try the Paselas. If you're flatting too much try the Gators (although they seem similar, IME, to the Conti 4 Seasons).
Old 09-29-16, 04:14 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
It's like . . . how many miles do you average between flats? A 400 is only 250 miles and if I flat once on a 400, it's a nice break. Of course I usually don't flat that frequently - maybe 1000 miles between flats. I carry 4 tubes anyway. So while I don't totally ignore durability, I put more emphasis on easy rolling. I hate it when my tires are working against me instead of for me. I run the same wheels, tires, and pressures randoing that I use on fast group rides. And the same bike, for that matter. That's what most of the rando folks I ride with do. Looking at the fastest randonneurs here, they're usually on something like the pros would use on Paris-Roubaix, except clinchers instead of tubulars.

I used to run 23mm Tricomps, use 4000IIs now, but I'm not sure that's an improvement. They do seem more durable though.

Google "PBP bike" - Images. The old style custom steel rando bike with big bar bag, decaleur, etc., is not so much in evidence, except for Heine. More seatpost racks now.

Just a few random thoughts.
Old 09-29-16, 04:22 PM
Shimagnolo

Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,513 Times in 2,856 Posts
I ran 28mm Gatorskins on one bike for years.
I recently switched to 28mm Schwalbe Ones because I was unhappy with the poor traction of the Gatorskin in the wet.
The Schwalbe One has great traction in the wet, and as a happy side benefit, a softer ride at the same PSI.
On the first ride I kept stopping to pinch the rear tire because I thought I was losing pressure.

Last edited by Shimagnolo; 09-30-16 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-29-16, 10:35 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride-Fly
I'm about to get an audax frame and would like to know if the experts here can recommend the GatorHardshell.

This will be my first audax/rando bike- most of my bikes are road race inspired rides, and I usually ride Vreds Fortezza Tricomps in 23s, or Conti GP4000s or 4Seasons in 25s. I really like both of these brands- they have good ride qualities and durability. So for the audax frame, I am wanting to run 28s or 32s. Should I stick with brands I know, or should I try a brand like Compass, or Panaracer Paselas- a more tradional touring/rando tire?

Thanks.
I've never tried Gatorskins (in any form), but my take on puncture-resistant tires is this -- do you currently have a lot of punctures on long rides, or have difficulty fixing them? I figure that you should get the tires you need to cut down flats to a reasonably low level.

Some of my riding friends swear by Gatorskins, and there are lots of Schwalbe Marathon fans here on BF, but I'm happy enough with the ride of my current tires (Panaracer Paselas on most bikes, but slowly switching over to higher-performance versions like Pacenti and Compass) to change the occasional flat. Sometimes I wonder if people I know were psychologically scarred by their first flat, and are overreacting in an attempt to make sure it never happens again. Changing tubes isn't *that* bad.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 09-30-16 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-29-16, 11:31 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
People should not be confusing Gatorskins with Gator Hardshells. Hardshells are a whole different animal. They have terrible rolling resistance, and do indeed feel almost like they're solid rubber... but they are nearly impossible to flat, and they last forever. I got 4,500 miles out of my rear Hardshell. The front went almost 6,000 miles, and when it was finally replaced in favor of different tires, it still hadn't gotten near the bottom of the wear indicators. I think I probably could have gotten 10,000 miles out of the front tire.

Total number of flats over those miles: Zero. And I was constantly picking debris out of them-- glass, wire, staples, goatheads, thorns, you name it. Nothing can make it through that kevlar belt. I had a 2" length of a rivet go through the tire sideways. Didn't flat. But just as some tires trade everything for speed/handling, the Hardshells trade everything for longevity and puncture resistance. I've happily moved on to tires that abuse my body less, and still offer good puncture resistance.
Old 09-30-16, 07:33 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
The Gatorskin Hardskin is a two trick pony. It's two tricks are durability and flat resistance. Continental sacrificed ride quality, traction and low rolling resistance to build a tough and durable tire. Other tires are also tough and durable without the harsh ride, poor traction and higher level of rolling resistance.

Michelin Endurance tire provides a moderately supple ride and reduced rolling resistance while providing substantial flat resistant. See: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance....urance-v2-2015

On sale here: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/u...1b3ad5a0c78ada
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-30-16 at 08:25 AM.
Old 10-04-16, 03:15 PM
Ride-Fly

Bikes: Colnago Mix, Dean El Diente Ti S&S, Lynskey Cooper CX Disc Ti S&S, Mondonico Futura Legerro, DeRosa Primato, Tommaisini Tecno, Ciöcc Mokva80, Colnago Classic, Brompton M6L, Bob Jackson Audax End-E

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts fellas! I now know I don't want Gator Hardshells. I still may consider Gatorskins in 32s and also GP 4 Seasons in 28. I love the GP 4 Seasons in the 25s I run on my travel bike.
Old 10-04-16, 05:01 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I have been happy with gatorskins. In recent years, I have been using the Bontrager high thread count models, and they work just fine. I think I might switch to Compass next year, contingent on the bike I use
Old 10-04-16, 09:02 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I've been using Gatorskins in 32mm and just recently started using the GP in 25 and 28. I DID run a piece of metal through the sidewall of one of those 28's, pretty thin on the side, but haven't had a big flat problem otherwise. I'd go with the brands you know, and if you're having too many flats, then look at something different.
Old 10-04-16, 09:18 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Ride-Fly
Thanks for your thoughts fellas! I now know I don't want Gator Hardshells. I still may consider Gatorskins in 32s and also GP 4 Seasons in 28. I love the GP 4 Seasons in the 25s I run on my travel bike.
If you like the 4Seasons, you might like the Vittoria Rubino Pro Tech III tires even better. Lower resistance, better cut resistance IME. We run the 28mm version of that tire on our tandem in the winter and like it very much for that service.