Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Difficult release from SPD pedals

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-21-20, 07:46 PM
400E

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts

I've been using Shimano SPD pedals for about a year. I have the springs set to the loosest tension settings but it still seems hard to release my feet. I haven't fallen off for a while but always afraid that I won't release in time. Wondering if I should lube the pedal mechanism? Or any other tips?
Thanks!
Steve
Old 05-21-20, 07:52 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Maybe you can swap the cleat in the shoe. there’s one that releases easier than others. also it might be a brand compatibility issue where some brands work better or worse depending on the brand of the pedal
Old 05-21-20, 08:05 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
Is the release tension bothering you at all? Like causing knee issues? If not, I think it's better to be a little tight then sloppy-loose. If the latter, you risk accidentally unclipping at a bad time (like sprinting).

On my new SPD-SL pedals, I did actually smear some grease on the back of the cleat because the release was bothering my knees. I wiped the grease mostly off after applying so there's barely anything there... I don't want a pile of dirt collecting on the clear or pedal.
Old 05-21-20, 08:06 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
It's unclear to me which type of SPD pedals he's talking about.
Old 05-21-20, 08:58 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I gave up on SPD pedals for this very reason. Too many times I couldn't disengage my foot in time to prevent a fall after a sudden panic stop when the crank was at the 12 o'clock position.

Cheers
Old 05-21-20, 09:33 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
Which SPD cleats are you using? The SH-56 cleats will release a little easier than the SH-51 variety.
Likes For adamhenry:
Old 05-22-20, 04:39 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
I had a terrible time getting acclimated to using lipless pedals. It seemed to me that the harder I worked to get them to release, the more tightly they grabbed onto my shoes. When I changed to the multi release shoe cleats (with the "M" stamped on them, it was like night and day how easily I found it to release.

If I stand normally, my feet point outward at about a 45 degree angle. I gave up trying to ski because it was so hard to keep my skies pointed in a straight line. My theory is that my angled feet cause the regular SPD cleats to bind and make them hard to release. I've been seeking out the multi release cleats for almost 25 years now and have been quite pleased using them.
Old 05-22-20, 05:12 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Try new cleats, old cleats get harder to release/click in
Old 05-22-20, 07:28 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by 400E
I've been using Shimano SPD pedals for about a year. I have the springs set to the loosest tension settings but it still seems hard to release my feet. I haven't fallen off for a while but always afraid that I won't release in time. Wondering if I should lube the pedal mechanism? Or any other tips?
Thanks!
Steve
Have you tried cleaning and putting a light coat of oil on the springs? You can also try brushing around the edges of the cleat with a wire brush to remove any crud or rust on the cleat. If that doesn't work, get new cleats.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 05-22-20, 07:45 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
When my pedals get difficult to get out of it's usually becuase they are dirty, so I hose them down with regular WD-40, wipe them off and they work much better.
You also have to remember to twist your foot to get out of them, it quickly becomes the normal way of moving your foot off the pedal.
YMMV
Old 05-22-20, 07:50 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
If those are the SPD-SL (kinda like the Look Delta, but a little better for walking) the softer grippy rubber bits can be a bit grabby.

Just rub some wax on the friction points. Candle wax works fine, especially leftover wax from a scented candle -- the wax is soft and easy to use. Rub it on the plastic surfaces of the pedal and cleats, about once a month or more often if needed. Really helps smooth out clipping and unclipping.

But if it's SPD mountain bike type pedals/cleats, I dunno, never used 'em.
Old 05-22-20, 07:55 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I would really like to know whether he's talking about regular SPD's or the SPD-SL's. But OP is MIA, and people are falling all over each other to try to help. Soon the arguments between the various helpers will start. An all-too-common occurrence at BF these days.

My pet theory is that the mods start these threads about really basic subjects, in order to increase site traffic, but hopefully I'm wrong about that.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-22-20, 07:59 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
With SPDs (not SPD-SLs), I've noticed that shoes make a huge difference as well. Some of my shoes only contacted the pedal on the metal contact surfaces for an almost sloppy connection, while others contacted the pedal in multiple areas with the rubber treads which made for a more stable platform but harder release. You can't really blame Shimano for the fact that shoe manufacturers will do whatever they want... and sometimes do things that don't make sense.
Old 05-22-20, 06:41 PM
400E

Hello -- OP here --
Didn't mean to be MIA but work and lack of automated notices of your replies conspired against me. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Updates: I'm using Shimano SPD M540 pedals with about 1000 miles on them and the original (one-way release) cleats.

Based on the great info you gave me, I'll start with cleaning and lubing the pedals and if that doesn't work will replace cleats-- didn't know that wear on the cleats make 'em harder to release. Might try the multi-release variety as suggested.

Great info - thanks everyone -- I know how frustrating it is to take the time to help someone only to have the OP disappear. I vow not to do that --
Likes For 400E:
Old 05-22-20, 06:47 PM
400E

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I would really like to know whether he's talking about regular SPD's or the SPD-SL's. But OP is MIA, and people are falling all over each other to try to help. Soon the arguments between the various helpers will start. An all-too-common occurrence at BF these days.

My pet theory is that the mods start these threads about really basic subjects, in order to increase site traffic, but hopefully I'm wrong about that.
I checked and I'm subscribed to this thread, and no email notices came through -- none in junk folder either. Wonder if the site is having a problem with notifying people about new replies?
Old 05-22-20, 06:52 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Those "shouldn't" be hard to exit. I think it might be your shoes interfering with the exit. See if there is some rubber getting in the way on the treads on your shoes. If so, you might be able to carefully shave some off.
Old 05-22-20, 06:54 PM
400E

Several votes on looking at shoes-- will take a look at that possibility -- thanks -- wouldn't have thought of that--
Old 05-22-20, 07:21 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by PoorInRichfield
With SPDs, I've noticed that shoes make a huge difference as well. Some of my shoes only contacted the pedal on the metal contact surfaces for an almost sloppy connection, while others contacted the pedal in multiple areas with the rubber treads which made for a more stable platform but harder release.
I think this might be it. When I used road-type shoes with SPD, they always released easily. With mountain-type shoes, they sometimes snag on the rubber cleats.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-23-20, 05:19 PM
RockiesDad

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
Yup, sometimes the cleats are buried too deep in the shoe therefore the bottom of the shoe makes contact with the pedal and creates too tight of a fit. IIRC my shoes came with a spacer so that the cleats could be mounted a little bit higher than the bottom of the shoe sole. Might want to check and see that your cleats are a bit above your shoe sole as mentioned above.
Old 05-23-20, 08:35 PM
400E

Great tips on looking at the shoes! I have Shimano shoes and the cleats are set in to a well in the shoe that makes them flush or maybe a little below flush with the sole.

Time to add some washers or other spacer.

Thanks!
Old 05-27-20, 05:30 AM
400E

To follow up, I put on a pair of Shimano multi-directional release cleats over the weekend and went out for a ride last night. Made a huge difference -- much easier release.

Thanks to all who responded--I learned a lot and good to have options.
Old 05-27-20, 06:26 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I used Shimano SPDs to transition from toe clips. I was having a hard time unclipping. I have 4 different SPD pedals. Noticed that at about the mid way point on the tension adjustment screw, some of them have a sort of detent that takes a little more effort to adjust past. So what I'm saying is make certain that you have the adjustment screw at the lightest setting because on some of mine I think i'm at the lightest setting but actually have about 4 more clicks to go. So for me I thought I had them on the lightest setting but in fact had them at about the mid way point.
Old 05-27-20, 07:19 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2111 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by 400E
To follow up, I put on a pair of Shimano multi-directional release cleats over the weekend and went out for a ride last night. Made a huge difference -- much easier release.

Thanks to all who responded--I learned a lot and good to have options.
Just a quick note. Did you ever have trouble clipping *into* your SPD’s from time to time, in addition to clipping *out* of your SPD’s?

You may have had loose cleats, which coincidently got fixed when you switched to the multi-directional release cleats. (Especially if the problem returns in a few days or weeks, double check for loose cleats.)

(And p.s. Please don’t put washers under the cleats. The shoes are compatible with the cleats, and many SPD shoes have recessed cleats so that you can more easily walk in them off the bike. Washers under the cleats are the wrong cure, and will likely make things worse. If there are spacers that came WITH your shoes, read the install guide for when/if to use them.)

-mr. bill
Old 05-27-20, 12:15 PM
taco2ewsday

Bikes: 2021 Canyon Endurace SL8, 2019 Cannondale Topstone Sora, 2002 Giant Yukon

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by adamhenry
Which SPD cleats are you using? The SH-56 cleats will release a little easier than the SH-51 variety.
That's odd, on the loosest setting my shimano PD-A530 with an SH-56 cleat will pop out if I pull up to hard, check to see which cleat you have assuming you can still read it, something is up
Old 05-28-20, 10:27 AM
deadlocked

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think new cleats/pedals would help

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.