Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Reel in the fish, watch it jump off the line

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-09, 08:51 PM
Sailguy
Bring It!

Bikes: Torelli - Trek 520 - GT - and some old Schwinn Thing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not sure how it is for all of you, but for me, whenever I see another cyclist off in the distance, it motivates me to pick up the pace a bit. Over time, sometimes 1/2 mile, sometimes several miles, I slowly reel in the gap. What often seems to happen however, is right before I can make the pass to make the extra effort feel a bit better is, the other rider turns off my course. Ugh! I'm curious if this type of thing happens to you?

I like to pass because I was working hard to make the pass and because once I pass, I have to work even harder so I don't look like a tool. It gives me a better workout than the rides where I'm totally solo. When the other rider turns the corner, the satisfaction of closing the gap gets lost entirely.
Old 08-15-09, 08:55 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
doesn't happen to me when I'm commuting because I don't like to sweat
Old 08-15-09, 08:58 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Happens to me a lot, too; I set my sights on a rider up, and they turn off before I get within 100 feet, at least. I just shake my head and go on.

Now, yesterday, I had one -- he was a good minute up on me when I saw him; took a couple miles, cuz he had a good cadence going, but I passed him and quietly dropped him.

To my 'embarrassment', he was about a decade older than me (I'm middle-aged, myself); to his advantage, he was on a singlespeed that was about 8+ pounds lighter than my rig.

I last saw him about 2 miles later, an equal distance behind me; I looked back to check out this fine female jogger, and she had to dodge him.
Old 08-15-09, 09:05 PM
pityr

Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Happens all the time to me too. No dismay cause I know I could have caught them had they kept going straight.
Old 08-15-09, 09:12 PM
one_beatnik

Bikes: Waterford 1200, Raleigh Record converted to a single speed, Citizen folding bike, Surly LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I saw another bike while I'm commuting, I would probably fall off of my bike. Just doesn't happen out here in rural Iowa!
Old 08-15-09, 09:29 PM
coldfeet

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Usually it's the other way, I see them in my mirror and hold them off 'till I change direction.
Old 08-15-09, 09:31 PM
Sailguy
Bring It!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coldfeet.. *YOU'RE* that guy!! At least now I know who it is.
Old 08-16-09, 04:56 AM
gear

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I find the opposite to be true, a rider will work hard to catch me pass me and then turn down some side road. I have a feeling they are sitting on the side of the road trying to catch their breath.
Old 08-16-09, 06:38 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I don't really feel the need to race. What does bother me is when I'm moving along at my pace, and I overtake some guy going way slower than I am, and then he pumps like hell to catch up and pass me, then can't maintain the pace. I usually slow down because I don't want to bother passing him, but eventually I'm down to several MPH slower than I want to be going.

This has only happened to me twice, because I rarely see other cyclists on the road (maybe 2 or 3 times a year will I see someone going the same way as I am).

There's no race to be had for me, because I'm no speed demon but I do ride daily, and the other people on the road are either fat-tire noodlers going 12 MPH or guys on the U of M team going 10 faster than me.
Old 08-16-09, 08:12 AM
eshvanu
Bicycle n00B

Bikes: None yet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't feel any need to race. I'm a commuter. Getting exercise, spending less on auto insurance, and enjoying the ride are far more important to me.
Old 08-16-09, 08:21 AM
Hot Potato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DX-MAN
To my 'embarrassment', he was about a decade older than me (I'm middle-aged, myself); to his advantage, he was on a singlespeed that was about 8+ pounds lighter than my rig.
Which has been my experience with every cyclist I have chased down. Once I catch them I have no bragging rights, just embarrassment that it took me so long to reel in a geezer.
Old 08-16-09, 09:56 AM
huie

Bikes: Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I'm on my bike or running I need to be in front of anyone who is going in the same direction of me. Most of the time I won't bother increasing my pace, however, since like you I'm mostly passing old geezers, or soccer moms in the case of running.
Old 08-16-09, 05:24 PM
bmclaughlin807
Crankenstein

Bikes: Novara Randonee (TankerBelle)

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I don't know about no bragging rights when chasing down old geezers. I know a few older gentlemen that can ride circles around me. While juggling bike tools. And eating a banana float. Yeah, they're THAT fast. I'm pretty sure they're not quite human.
"There is no greater wonder than the way the face and character of a woman fit so perfectly in a man's mind, and stay there, and he could never tell you why. It just seems it was the thing he most wanted." Robert Louis Stevenson
Old 08-16-09, 05:29 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sailguy
I like to pass because I was working hard to make the pass and because once I pass, I have to work even harder so I don't look like a tool.
Too late
Old 08-16-09, 05:33 PM
Sailguy
Bring It!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
Too late
Probably. lol.
Old 08-16-09, 05:50 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
I'm curious if this type of thing happens to you?
I have a couple of videos dedicated to that.

This one I lose: Just A Little Too Slow

This one I win: NOLA Geek Hunt

Yeah. It happens sometimes on my commute, but more often when I take the long way to work on the weekends along the Lakefront. How can you see someone on a bike up ahead and not want to pass them? Ask any motorist!
Old 08-16-09, 06:35 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
What often seems to happen however, is right before I can make the pass to make the extra effort feel a bit better is, the other rider turns off my course. Ugh!
Not a problem. Forget your previous destination, make the turn, follow your dream and pass your competition just before the imaginary finish line.
Old 08-16-09, 07:06 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
I don't really feel the need to race. What does bother me is when I'm moving along at my pace, and I overtake some guy going way slower than I am, and then he pumps like hell to catch up and pass me, then can't maintain the pace. I usually slow down because I don't want to bother passing him, but eventually I'm down to several MPH slower than I want to be going.

This has only happened to me twice, because I rarely see other cyclists on the road (maybe 2 or 3 times a year will I see someone going the same way as I am).

There's no race to be had for me, because I'm no speed demon but I do ride daily, and the other people on the road are either fat-tire noodlers going 12 MPH or guys on the U of M team going 10 faster than me.
Ditto. Have had it happen on the local MUP (SCT for the locals) a couple times. I am not a "Fast" rider but I do like to try to maintain a pace/ cadence around 18-20mph/ 80-85rpm on the flat. I'm a little pudgy at 210lb. I commute almost every day and I try to do 20-40 mile ride a couple times a month so I'm no Lance but I do ok. Seems like every once in a while I will pick up a weekend roadie and exactly the same thing happens as you.

Last one I passed (near Rambo for the locals I dropped in at Sailors) and about a mile later he is busting his butt to pass me. Carbon fiber bike, top of the line gear, lean and obviously hitting the gym regularly (too bad he isn't doing more cardio). I'm on a CL find $75 C-Dale 1989 SR 600 with performance shorts and MTB jersey, Mtb SPDs and Forte' Campus peddles.

Guy gets in front and keeps about the pace I was working so I figured he wanted to do some drafting and I tucked in waiting for him to drop off and let me lead. He never let go of the lead. Hit grade and he would slow some I would try to pass and he would speed up. So about 18 miles out from where I started, about 7 miles from where I passed him the first time, I wore him down on a hill (going up Brushy) and finally got past him. He stopped for a rest shortly after that (at the tunnel). I went another 6 miles (to Rockmart) and didn't see him again. I figure he started at the beginning of the trail and where he stopped is a common for a nice Metric. I figured the way he was outfitted that is what he had done.

On the way back I find him at a trail head (Drummond) about 5 miles from where I started looking like he was going to die (and it is mostly down hill from the point he stopped). Asked him if he was OK and trying to figure out if he had got himself dehydrated. He said he was fine and was drinking plenty of water. He had a good sweat going and seemed to be getting his breathing under control. Asked him how far to where he was parked to see if he needed me to stick with him. This is where he parked and not far from where I passed him the first time. He just made it back and I had done 10-12 more then him in the same time. He asked how much farther I had gone and how far till I was done. He kind of got quite after I told him. I didn't tell him I was a heart patient and have three stents.
Old 08-17-09, 06:31 AM
vtjim
Belt drive!

Bikes: 2011 Trek Soho DLX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coldfeet
Usually it's the other way, I see them in my mirror and hold them off 'till I change direction.
Me too.
Old 08-17-09, 07:14 AM
duckbill

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When reeling in another cyclist, just before passing, I push hard in the large chain ring so I can coast by and then hope I don't blow up keeping up the pace.
Old 08-17-09, 07:21 AM
Hot Potato

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grim
Ditto. Last one I passed (near Rambo for the locals I dropped in at Sailors) and about a mile later he is busting his butt to pass me. Carbon fiber bike, top of the line gear, lean and obviously hitting the gym regularly (too bad he isn't doing more cardio). I'm on a CL find $75 C-Dale 1989 SR 600 with performance shorts and MTB jersey, Mtb SPDs and Forte' Campus peddles.
Using the above quote as an example only and not being personal about it, can someone explain the equipment fixation this sport seems to have? I don't get how what a bike is made of, what its components are, what you wear, or how fast and far you ride relates to anything.
Old 08-17-09, 07:27 AM
DataJunkie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quite a few riders seem to have equipment envy. As in the showers at the gym don't look at other dudes equipment.

For the most part it is the motor.
Anyhow, I love rabbits unless I am on a recovery ride.
Old 08-17-09, 07:46 AM
norskagent
car dodger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts
I ride most of my commutes at time trial pace - its fun and a workout. The greenway section is especially challenging at speed, with its curves and bridges. When I see a cyclist ahead it's "target acquired", but 99% of them are just toodling along. I always take note of what they are riding, if it's a nice bike they get a "nice bike!" from me.
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Old 08-17-09, 08:06 AM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Hot Potato
Using the above quote as an example only and not being personal about it, can someone explain the equipment fixation this sport seems to have? I don't get how what a bike is made of, what its components are, what you wear, or how fast and far you ride relates to anything.
Nope... but it's fantastic for trolling for responses on internet forums though
Old 08-17-09, 09:09 AM
larue

Bikes: Surly Pacer/Cutter/Viking

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only worry about myself on my commutes. I get to work as efficiently as possible without showing up drenched in sweat. Those people you are passing by on your route have no idea they are being raced against and are probably not going all out to begin with so bravo to you for catching up to someone who is oblivious to your intentions. You should feel real proud when you pass me on my way to work when cadence is more important to me than mashing the pedals. Yes the other rider turns off. It's their friggin' commute. They don't care about you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.