Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Full kit for hybrid riders?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Full kit for hybrid riders?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-15, 10:41 AM
Maverick 13330

Bikes: 2005 GIANT STP2, 2015 ROAM3, 1993 Trek 7900 Multitrack, Critical Single Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by practical
Where do you live? Sounds like you need a bike advocacy group in your region.
i live in Joplin,MO.. We have nice trail here(just 1 actually). Since its our lone trail, its well pack of people anytime of the day. I still have to go to Southeast Kansas area for a nice farm roads for gravel biking. Before i reach Kansas, i still need to traverse about 5miles of the city road(no bike/shoulder lane) where i surely encounter butthole drivers.
Biking far from your home really requires a full kit/full battle gears of biking..sometimes i even have my camelbak(i need them for my boiled sweet potatoes and bananas) and a spare tire.i know i look ridiculous BUT hell biking alone on Kansas requires me to have those and i needed to be comfortable as possible for a LONG ride.
Old 09-10-15, 10:45 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. I guess you need to start an advocacy group. Is Joplin typical of the whole state?
Old 09-10-15, 02:49 PM
Ajh800

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp Disc '14, Spec' Crosstrail Sport Disc (customed), Ellsworth Epiphany

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My latest acquisitions (cheap from China) - definitely fit the MAMIL category

Still some warm Autumn days ahead, and when it gets cooler

Should go ok with the Sirrus

Middle Aged Man In Lycra
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3.jpg (103.3 KB, 162 views)
Old 09-10-15, 05:04 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by jbchybridrider
I've seen a few "pro" hybrid riders around, it's no crime but I personally prefer less logo's even riding my road bike.

I wear black cycling tights!
Old 09-10-15, 05:04 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajh800

Middle Aged Man In Lycra
Sweet!!
Old 09-10-15, 09:15 PM
funbikerchick

Bikes: Liv Avail Advanced Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wear cycling shorts because I need the padding. I wear gloves because otherwise my hands hurt or go numb. I don't have a cycling shirt. I haven't found one I like yet. I do wear a wicking shirt that I bought for kayaking. I wish it had back pockets like bike shirts so I could keep my chapstick handy. Need something for cooler weather. Those pants look good.
Old 09-10-15, 11:48 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by funbikerchick
I wear cycling shorts because I need the padding. I wear gloves because otherwise my hands hurt or go numb. I don't have a cycling shirt. I haven't found one I like yet. I do wear a wicking shirt that I bought for kayaking. I wish it had back pockets like bike shirts so I could keep my chapstick handy. Need something for cooler weather. Those pants look good.
Gloves are safety equipment; they protect your hands from road rash and soak up sweat and prevent hands slipping. Any technical shirt will be great for wicking sweat and keeping you dry. I recommend getting a "bento box" pack that straps onto the top bar. It's conveniently located and will hold quite a bit of stuff without getting contents all sweated up.
Old 09-11-15, 06:33 AM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Maverick 13330
i live in Joplin,MO.. We have nice trail here(just 1 actually). Since its our lone trail, its well pack of people anytime of the day. I still have to go to Southeast Kansas area for a nice farm roads for gravel biking. Before i reach Kansas, i still need to traverse about 5miles of the city road(no bike/shoulder lane) where i surely encounter butthole drivers.
Biking far from your home really requires a full kit/full battle gears of biking..sometimes i even have my camelbak(i need them for my boiled sweet potatoes and bananas) and a spare tire.i know i look ridiculous BUT hell biking alone on Kansas requires me to have those and i needed to be comfortable as possible for a LONG ride.
Wow, completely different attitude in Northwest Arkansas. Just 40-70 miles away. Have only had one teen say anything since I started riding again a year ago. No issues with drivers, and have even had a driver stop to ask if I needed a ride once when I stopped for a short breather before heading up a steep hill. Biggest problem locally, is oblivious walkers/runners, and roadies that treat the MUP's like a race course built for them.

QT
Old 09-11-15, 06:44 AM
GTIMKIV

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I normally just wear a pair of cargo shorts, compression shorts underneath and one the many free 5k, 10k, and marathon shirts I have accumulated over the years. I'm not into the boy racer look, plus it would group me in with the "lets ride in a pack, 4 across, disobeying every signal, but still get pissed and yell at cars that have the right of way" crowd.

Last edited by GTIMKIV; 09-11-15 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-11-15, 06:44 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Over the years, Ive worn everything from full lycra (no logos, please) to full civies and everything in between (civvies over lycra)

The hotter it is and further the ride, the more beneficial full lycra is.

Im about 140 lbs at 5-10 and still feel like a sausage in full lycra

+1 on the "please dont wear yellow, polka dots, or rainbow stripes unless youve earned it"
Old 09-11-15, 11:26 AM
Maverick 13330

Bikes: 2005 GIANT STP2, 2015 ROAM3, 1993 Trek 7900 Multitrack, Critical Single Speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by quicktrigger
Wow, completely different attitude in Northwest Arkansas. Just 40-70 miles away. Have only had one teen say anything since I started riding again a year ago. No issues with drivers, and have even had a driver stop to ask if I needed a ride once when I stopped for a short breather before heading up a steep hill. Biggest problem locally, is oblivious walkers/runners, and roadies that treat the MUP's like a race course built for them.

QT
I can only speak for my experiences on the road and NOT for all the bikers in the area..

The worst BULLY that i encountered were joyriding teenagers using their daddy's car.they tried to evade my lane for no reason and forced me to steer towards enbankment(good thing i never lose control and hurt myself) and when they passed me those IDIOTS were laughing and cheering.Few hours had passed,i saw those kids again along my route(swimming on one of the creek),called a police and report about the incident.I gave them the scare of their own,the police wanted me to file a complaint but i refused to do so. Funny the police asked for a drivers license and registration of the driver and to the surprise of the officer and on my delight,the driver has an standing DUI arrest/violation just of months ago. The police smiled at me and told to go on.he already have enough reason to give justice to what that the guy did and also told me the driver might become one of those people who'll ride a bike cos they cant drive cars anymore..

scary experience i think but at the same a relief that butthole drivers dont go away unpunished.
Old 09-30-15, 01:34 AM
Ajh800

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Carbon Comp Disc '14, Spec' Crosstrail Sport Disc (customed), Ellsworth Epiphany

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Made me laugh The shame of being married to a MAMIL, a Middle Aged Man In Lycra | Daily Mail Online
Old 09-30-15, 02:48 AM
MMLC
Lanterne Rogue

Bikes: '02 Bianchi Strada, '01 Specialized Rockhopper, '02 Specialized Sirrus A1 Pro, 70's Fuji road bike, '15 Diamondback Apex Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Over the years, Ive worn everything from full lycra (no logos, please) to full civies and everything in between (civvies over lycra)
Me too! Now I usually wear MTB shorts and wicking t-shirts like these Performance Tech Short Sleeve Tee
Old 09-30-15, 07:28 PM
Walter Denton

Bikes: Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MMLC
Me too! Now I usually wear MTB shorts and wicking t-shirts like these Performance Tech Short Sleeve Tee
I generally wear MTB shorts and a wickng t-shirt also. I've actually found some pretty good inexpensive stuff at Kohl's. Since I don't really want to wear tights what do you recommend I wear instead of shorts in colder weather.
Old 10-01-15, 03:54 AM
MMLC
Lanterne Rogue

Bikes: '02 Bianchi Strada, '01 Specialized Rockhopper, '02 Specialized Sirrus A1 Pro, 70's Fuji road bike, '15 Diamondback Apex Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter Denton
I generally wear MTB shorts and a wickng t-shirt also. I've actually found some pretty good inexpensive stuff at Kohl's. Since I don't really want to wear tights what do you recommend I wear instead of shorts in colder weather.
Just wear the tights under the shorts or use leg warmers.
Old 10-01-15, 05:14 PM
avidone1

Bikes: 2016 Specialized crosstrail comp disc

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTIMKIV
I normally just wear a pair of cargo shorts, compression shorts underneath and one the many free 5k, 10k, and marathon shirts I have accumulated over the years. I'm not into the boy racer look, plus it would group me in with the "lets ride in a pack, 4 across, disobeying every signal, but still get pissed and yell at cars that have the right of way" crowd.
I think your compression shorts may be a bit tight
Old 10-02-15, 04:23 AM
Lt Stonez

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Comp Carbon Disc '14

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Middle Aged Man In Lycra
Wow i like it a lot how is the sizeing in the castelli kit? Am 6.0' with a beer stomach and the original castelli XXL bib short did not fit me lovly bike by the way
Old 10-02-15, 02:08 PM
Ajh800

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Still waiting for the castelli gear. Guess it's got 'lost' somewhere. China having a week off at the moment, but no doubt will arrive. Other sidi kit arrived, for $28 can't go wrong. I used their size guide and added one size. DHGate, check it out.
Old 10-02-15, 06:52 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I've seen a few "pro" hybrid riders around, it's no crime but I personally prefer less logo's even riding my road bike.

I'm breaking all the Hybrid rules. lol
In my own mind I'm a Pro. It's not my fault, blame the city I live in, hahaha
Old 10-03-15, 03:27 AM
Ajh800

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
If it makes you go quicker, feel faster, want to ride more often, why not

I like the reactions from the staff in cafes when having a break, some horror, bewilderment, humour - every type of reaction. Solidified salt from evaporated sweat & smell of ammonia adds to it, ha, ha. I generally sit outside where the water bowls for dog walkers are placed.
Old 10-03-15, 03:56 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
Still waiting for the castelli gear. Guess it's got 'lost' somewhere. China having a week off at the moment, but no doubt will arrive. Other sidi kit arrived, for $28 can't go wrong. I used their size guide and added one size. DHGate, check it out.
I wear Castelli bibs (posted from the UK), it's top quality gear and only wear it on my road bike wearing slightly more casual lycra shorts on the hybrid. I've bought a few things from DH gate also without any issues.

Last edited by jbchybridrider; 10-03-15 at 04:06 AM. Reason: Woho that image was big
Old 10-03-15, 04:00 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 390 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
Looks about as loud as what I wear on the hybrid. I'm going to be a proud logo wearer on the road bike though, had 4 custom Alfa Romeo tops made through a Alfa forum. There exclusively for riding the Olympia
Old 10-03-15, 05:58 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

.... I generally sit outside where the water bowls for dog walkers are placed.
Hahaha, don't we all . We can admire our bikes better from there too.
Old 10-03-15, 06:01 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

...exclusively for riding the Olympia
Mmmmmm, Oooolymmmmpia.
Old 10-04-15, 10:27 PM
WDH74

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic, Trek FX 7.3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I typically wear some bike shorts, under a pair of lightweight cargo shorts I got at Target or something - I forget where and don't remember what brand they are either. I'm not fond of the swimsuit look. For shirts I usually wear a t-shirt of some kind, because I find jerseys to be uncomfortable - too tight under the arms and around the neck, and if I upsize enough to be comfortable they're as loose as a t-shirt I'd wear otherwise. I can live without the pocket on the back! I also wear a helmet, some fingerless gloves, and I recently got some Shimano bike shoes (haven't gone clipless yet but I have the option of adding cleats to these shoes)

Cold weather is where I stumble a bit. I usually wear a pair of warmup pants over cycling shorts because they're lightweight and still kind of warm. As it gets colder I add a base layer and heavy socks. The problem is the pants are kind of baggy near the ankles and rub against the chain and flap around a bit - I've not found more form-fitting warm pants that aren't skintight. Up top it's a base layer and maybe a thermal sweater or fleece (or both). I have a nice hat I can fit easily under my helmet, and several pair of gloves.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.