Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

SOFTWARE UPDATE: New photo gallery, photo uploader, and mobile skin, April 24, 2018!

Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

SOFTWARE UPDATE: New photo gallery, photo uploader, and mobile skin, April 24, 2018!

Old 11-21-18, 05:18 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
But you are mistaking multiple posts to be undesirable when perhaps addressing individuals separately is more clear. You won't be flogged by the Posting Gods necessarily for that.
FWIW, I don’t necessarily expect that my problem will be solved, and I may well be the only BF subscriber who nests quotes. Nonetheless, I will continue.

A basic premise of my style is that usually I am replying to a topic, not necessarily to an individual, and to explore that topic I incorporate the posts of (several) other subscribers. For example I just finished this post about cycling in England (link).

Even when replying to an individual subscriber, I will use nested quotes, as in this example from yesterday (link).
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
… I also occasionally engage in entre nous conversations, if you will, of a few posts in length on some public threads, when a particular subscriber and I have some interest in common to both of us…
I’m not interested in post counts per se, though they are hard to accumulate when writing long posts, but I have over 6000 in ten years on Bike Forums, with numerous quotes.
I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972; self-described year-round commuter, occasional centurian (in-training during the nice weather), and former cycle tourist, including a cross-country ride”…

I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF [include]:…

• the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise….
Old 11-21-18, 05:59 AM
Jim from Boston

...Even when replying to an individual subscriber, I will use nested quotes......

I’m not interested in post counts per se, though they are hard to accumulate when writing long posts, but I have over 6000 in ten years on Bike Forums, with numerous quotes.
… I also occasionally engage in entre nous conversations, if you will, of a few posts in length on some public threads, when a particular subscriber and I have some interest in common to both of us…
As an aside to the topic of Forum communication via Mentions and Quotes, in 2014 I posted:
...Slightly off topic to this [other] thread, I have wondered how frequently subscribers post PM exchanges? I know PM’s are supposed to remain private, as well as the involved individuals, but I am curious about general experiences…

Myself, I have corresponded with nine of the subscribers mentioned in this [other] thread, as well as many other individuals. My exchanges have ranged from perfunctory, and often unrequited notes, to brief exchanges of information, occasional friendly chit-chats, to engaging conversations.

Since 2008, I have sent 2735 PM’s and received 1785 replies.
Just wonderin’

PS: Feel free to move to another, more appropriate Forum, e.g. General Cycling Discussion (if a new thread, with an appropriate title...e.g. Private Messaging...

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 11-21-18 at 06:30 AM. Reason: added PS
Old 11-21-18, 12:13 PM
IBThomas
Banned.

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the reply. Basically, when I try to nest a series of quotes in a continuously connected manner, the indiviual quote boxes get split up:The rest of my post were linked quotes by various subscribers, including myself about the utility / value of quotes to further the topic of a thread, especially,See what I mean?
This isn't really how quotes are meant to be used, and I don't think it's supported by the code. If you'd like me to tell you how to multiquote, I can do that for you.
Old 11-21-18, 01:55 PM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by IBThomas
This isn't really how quotes are meant to be used, and I don't think it's supported by the code. If you'd like me to tell you how to multiquote, I can do that for you.
Thanks again for your reply. Anyways, I have been able to nest quotes, but not as easily as in the (long ago) past as far as I can remember

I hope you recognize that I have been an avid and mostly satisfied subscriber for over ten years. Maybe I should try a trial of Premium membership.

I have seen the multiquote tab, but I didn't know what it did, and I would like to learn.
Old 11-21-18, 03:03 PM
IBThomas
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks again for your reply. Anyways, I have been able to nest quotes, but not as easily as in the (long ago) past as far as I can remember

I hope you recognize that I have been an avid and mostly satisfied subscriber for over ten years. Maybe I should try a trial of Premium membership.

I have seen the multiquote tab, but I didn't know what it did, and I would like to learn.
You can multiquote by selecting the buttons I've circled in red. Once selected, the button will change in appearance to signify that the multiquote has been activated.

Once you have selected or marked all the quotes you'd like to respond to, click on "Post Reply" (ciircled in red) This will open up a text post where all the quotes will appear.

Old 11-22-18, 05:18 AM
Jim from Boston

You can multiquote by selecting the buttons I've circled in red. Once selected, the button will change in appearance to signify that the multiquote has been activated.

Once you have selected or marked all the quotes you'd like to respond to, click on "Post Reply" (ciircled in red) This will open up a text post where all the quotes will appear.

The threads on my display screen have no Post Reply button.
Old 11-25-18, 07:59 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
What browser/device are you using?
Old 11-25-18, 08:08 PM
Jim from Boston

What browser/device are you using?
Internet Explorer, HP... not sure of model..
Old 11-26-18, 11:06 AM
IBThomas
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you post a screenshot of what you see where Post Reply should be appearing?
Old 11-27-18, 12:18 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Did you get the Steven Wright signature model? How did you post?

Old 12-15-18, 05:56 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
I haven’t been around for quite a while but I noticed there still aren’t any breadcrumbs at the bottom of the page after the last post. Sadface.
Old 12-15-18, 05:32 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

They sweep.

Just return to the top and navigate to the level you want, To return to the home page click the banner, otherwise you may in a subdirectory.

It does have links for the previous and next thread at the bottom.

I really don['t know what a breadcrumb is, and I've been using forums sites for 21 years.

Edit: If you mean something like a list of 'similar threads', that's not really all that useful.

Last edited by Rollfast; 12-15-18 at 05:39 PM.
Old 12-17-18, 12:59 PM
IBThomas
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by the sci guy
I haven’t been around for quite a while but I noticed there still aren’t any breadcrumbs at the bottom of the page after the last post. Sadface.
Talking with our Tech to see if we can get Breadcrumbs back.
Old 12-18-18, 05:29 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

They sweep.

Just return to the top and navigate to the level you want, To return to the home page click the banner, otherwise you may in a subdirectory.

It does have links for the previous and next thread at the bottom.

I really don['t know what a breadcrumb is, and I've been using forums sites for 21 years.

Edit: If you mean something like a list of 'similar threads', that's not really all that useful.
It's this, like at the top of a page.

Except its beneath the last post at the bottom of the page, and above the quick reply box. So when you reach the last post you just click the link that's right there to go back to the main forum list. It's an extra step to scroll all the way back to the top, and the forum nav drop menu on the bottom right is cumbersome.
This is especially useful when browsing the foums as a regular webpage on a mobile device and not using tapatalk or a mobile skin (both of which i hate).
We had it on the previous version of the board after I suggested it then too, but it got lost in the update.
Old 12-19-18, 05:51 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
It's this, like at the top of a page.

Except its beneath the last post at the bottom of the page, and above the quick reply box. So when you reach the last post you just click the link that's right there to go back to the main forum list. It's an extra step to scroll all the way back to the top, and the forum nav drop menu on the bottom right is cumbersome.
This is especially useful when browsing the foums as a regular webpage on a mobile device and not using tapatalk or a mobile skin (both of which i hate).
We had it on the previous version of the board after I suggested it then too, but it got lost in the update.
Except there's no need to scroll 'all the way back to the top'. Here's a snapshot of what was (yours) the last post. See the 'breadcrumbs' nav just above your post?
Old 12-19-18, 11:30 AM
IBThomas
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Except there's no need to scroll 'all the way back to the top'. Here's a snapshot of what was (yours) the last post. See the 'breadcrumbs' nav just above your post?
A slight mix up. Those breadcrumbs in the post are a screenshot.
Old 12-19-18, 12:20 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

A slight mix up. Those breadcrumbs in the post are a screenshot.
Sorry? Who's mixed up? I know SciGuys snip of the breadcrumbs is a photo inserted above his written text. My snapshot is of the overall screen.. Here's a fuller one. Actually getting the top menu (with 'breadcrumbs' as we're calling it) shows up at any post or point within a thread, with a quick twitch scroll up.

Old 12-19-18, 12:26 PM
IBThomas
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sorry? Who's mixed up? I know SciGuys snip of the breadcrumbs is a photo inserted above his written text. My snapshot is of the overall screen.. Here's a fuller one. Actually getting the top menu (with 'breadcrumbs' as we're calling it) shows up at any post or point within a thread, with a quick twitch scroll up.

I believe they're asking for the same feature to be posted at the bottom of the thread for easier navigation. It cuts out the step of having to scroll back up.
Old 12-19-18, 12:44 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I believe they're asking for the same feature to be posted at the bottom of the thread for easier navigation. It cuts out the step of having to scroll back up.
I read that the issue was having to scroll 'all the way' back up.. ie. to the first post. A simple 1" scroll brings up that nav menu at the top of the page.
I'd still prioritize getting original thread creation dates to show in each forum's thread list. :-)
Old 12-19-18, 01:53 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

A TOP button does the same thing. So does placing an up arrow link at the right side about 2/3 way down the page view.

Last edited by Rollfast; 12-19-18 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-19-18, 01:55 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

I think I remember that being one of the first things I deactivated after the upgrade. I don't like auto-hide functions or fixed headers that follow you down a page and take up browsing space especially on limited screen sizes.
The point is to not have to scroll/twitch/pinch/flick/etc at all. The link is right there for your finger, or your mouse.
Old 12-19-18, 01:57 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

A TOP button does the same thing.
that's still 2 clicks. 1 to top, 1 on the breadcrumb link.

Old 12-19-18, 02:06 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

You must be calculating the jump to light speed with the Wookiee. And I've used the internet and forums sites since 1997 and an IBM Aptiva-centric computer site using an early Jelsoft platform back then that finally died this year using IPB.

I've seen more sites and newsgroups trolled and taken over than Pirates of the Caribbean.

Seriously, that's instant coffee that makes itself.

Last edited by Rollfast; 12-19-18 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-19-18, 02:09 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

I think I remember that being one of the first things I deactivated after the upgrade. I don't like auto-hide functions or fixed headers that follow you down a page and take up browsing space especially on limited screen sizes.
The point is to not have to scroll/twitch/pinch/flick/etc at all. The link is right there for your finger, or your mouse.
Except they don't follow you as you scroll down a page; as you scroll down, that's when they auto-hide and give you back your real estate. Your point was lost as it wasn't clear you had deactivated features of the site that, if left enabled, would have meant that all this time you wouldn't have to scroll all the way to the top of pages of posts.

Either way, wherever you need to click to go wherever, you still have to move left and right. Maybe I'm just used to a trackpad -- moving a point all the way across a screen take less than 2/10 of a second and physically about 1" of distance on the the pad.
Old 12-19-18, 02:26 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
I think he was saying he was using the full site on a mobile device (and I do too when on mobile because the mobile version is not what I would call pleasant) and that makes things a bit trickier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.