Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.
View Poll Results: What kind of gravel do you ride MOST?
Multi-use or bike paths
3.28%
"All road" mix of paved road and civilized dirt / gravel
37.70%
Maintained, "civilized" dirt and gravel roads perhaps with stream crossings mixed in.
26.23%
Mix of "civilized" and rough near-MTB type trails and roads
22.95%
Rocky, rough near-MTB type trails and roads
3.28%
Broken, deteriorated, and/or really rough pavement
1.64%
Other
4.92%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

What is "gravel" to you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-19, 09:18 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
Hey Brent, once you lay your.bike on the ground and start drinking bloody Mary's it's called a "grovel" bike...
Oops!
I thought it was "carbo-loading!"
Brent
Old 04-16-19, 11:07 AM
Cyclist_987

Bikes: 2005 Trek 520, a few old cannondales, and my 98 720 multitrack "gravel bike"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To the OP: I think that's a great point. "Gravel" is a catch phrase.

I think of "gravel riding" as a combination of the following:

1. hard packed gravel roads (most people seem to agree)
2. Smooth single track dirt surfaces
3. My personal favorite, farm tractor paths or abandoned grassy trails.

I say combination because its quite difficult in most places to walk out the door onto a gravel road and/or stay on it for the entirety of the ride.
Old 04-16-19, 05:18 PM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Cyclist_987
To the OP: I think that's a great point. "Gravel" is a catch phrase.

I think of "gravel riding" as a combination of the following:

1. hard packed gravel roads (most people seem to agree)
2. Smooth single track dirt surfaces
3. My personal favorite, farm tractor paths or abandoned grassy trails.

I say combination because its quite difficult in most places to walk out the door onto a gravel road and/or stay on it for the entirety of the ride.
Yep, when I’m on my gravel bike, with gravel in mind, it is always mixed surface. In a single ride I’ve been on newly paved roads, cracked and pot holes paved paved roads, gravel, dirt, wood chips, wooden boardwalks, grass...and the gravel and dirt were not consistent over the multiple roads or trails.

Last edited by Noonievut; 04-17-19 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-16-19, 09:32 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
I'm definitely in the "civilized" dirt / Midwestern roads camp. If I'm perfectly honest, I would be riding a normal road bike except that the only paved roads around me are 50+mph, two lanes and no shoulder (well, not paved anyways). I don't enjoy being buzzed by every car on the road and holding them all up at the same time so I ride almost exclusively dirt roads where there is less traffic. To me a gravel bike really is a road bike though, just not for paved roads. Maybe more like the bikes they rode in the early Tour de France.

The idea of long rock gardens and such just doesn't seem very interesting to me. I'm not much of a mountain biker and even less when it comes to techy stuff. Being stuck riding at single digit speeds outside of a steep climb is just frustrating. I want to get out and cover distance at speed. My favorite rides are ones that would cover more than a tiny dot when viewed on a map of the state.
Old 04-16-19, 11:22 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4423 Post(s)
Liked 4,527 Times in 3,029 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
I'm definitely in the "civilized" dirt / Midwestern roads camp. If I'm perfectly honest, I would be riding a normal road bike except that the only paved roads around me are 50+mph, two lanes and no shoulder (well, not paved anyways). I don't enjoy being buzzed by every car on the road and holding them all up at the same time so I ride almost exclusively dirt roads where there is less traffic. To me a gravel bike really is a road bike though, just not for paved roads. Maybe more like the bikes they rode in the early Tour de France.

The idea of long rock gardens and such just doesn't seem very interesting to me. I'm not much of a mountain biker and even less when it comes to techy stuff. Being stuck riding at single digit speeds outside of a steep climb is just frustrating. I want to get out and cover distance at speed. My favorite rides are ones that would cover more than a tiny dot when viewed on a map of the state.

Yup, in my younger days I loved trying to clear obstacles with my mountain bike and in the TX hill country there are many. Though I still love riding my MTB and my FAT bike today I just don’t want a triip to the orthopedic surgeon I have had many. I love gravel grinding a mixture or road and gravel that covers distance is cool. Gravel grinding roads can be found anywhere with many miles to explore.
Old 04-17-19, 06:09 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm not sure what gravel even is.

This past Saturday I rode silky smooth pavement, well groomed pea over hardpack, fresh chunk on 15% grades, slag from a marble quarry (that was cool), mud pits, a running stream bed (upstream), bulldozer tracks, through an apple orchard, doubletrack and something that used to be a trail through the woods but eroded into a gully and filled with leaves.

I will say that grassy doubletrack is the most fun.

-Tim-
Old 04-17-19, 09:48 AM
BKE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
I like this answer. I ride a variety of surfaces on my "gravel" bikes.

Brent
My vote for Gravel Pic of the month.
Glad to see you don't ride alone.
Old 04-17-19, 01:45 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
Until very recently, I did not know this was a thing.
Basically, It appears as though this is what I did on my Schwinn Collegiate Sport back in the 1980's. If there was a trail hard enough to hold up my bike on it's 35mm tires, I would ride it. It was great. It also looks a lot like what I did on my mountain bike on the Fire Trails in the Oakland hills.

Kind of a road bike that does more. It may not excel at any one type of riding, but it looks like the "Gravel Bike" is "pretty good" at a lot of riding types.

This topic certainly deserves more study... and has me looking around for an old road bike in need of some work.