Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

It really is the engine

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

It really is the engine

Old 06-12-19, 10:23 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,130 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
Now that would just be silly, everyone knows aero is faster
You can do both, you know. That's allowed.
Old 06-12-19, 10:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
It's interesting the amount of pushback this thread is receiving, almost like people don't want to admit that the gear doesn't make as much of a difference as the rider does.

So the group was having a really good day yesterday, which helped me set some PRs. Well, except for the finishing sprint, which I won, guess everyone was blown up by then after helping me ride so fast.
Well it's conversation. You just never know where it's going to go once you voice it to the masses. You as the OP should certainly steer it to stay in line with what you are expecting. But don't be surprised if more are interested in the side conversation.

I did like your title though. For the most part and to a large extent it is the engine.

I don't think your PR's are so much about the type of bike as they are about how those two bikes fit you, are equipped with the proper gearing and yes even the proper tires for the route you ride. I wouldn't use a TT bike for a typical group ride. IMO a gravel bike is not much different than a road bike. Mostly just allowances for bigger tires. Between TT bike and the gravel bike, I'd expect the gravel bike is more appropriately geared for the route you ride.

But since I don't know what they actually are, those statements are just supposition on my part. You'll need to fill in the blanks.
Old 06-12-19, 10:37 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
True, and it felt pretty good. Only the second sprint zone I've won so far. But I also like to do a lot of pulling, so I'm usually pretty beat when everyone takes off.

Always. Everyone at work asked me if I got rid of my blue bike (I bring my bike into the office when I'm riding after work), and I said nope, there is no getting rid of them, just getting more! lol
I love the Thursday night Airport Ride, but I usually can't make it due to shuttle duty for kids' soccer practice. But one night I was finally able to make it and took off on the intermediate sprint and won it with clean wheels. Then a buddy rode up and said, "Good job. The thing is, we don't sprint that sign anymore."

D'oh!
Likes For caloso:
Old 06-12-19, 10:49 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Well it's conversation. You just never know where it's going to go once you voice it to the masses. You as the OP should certainly steer it to stay in line with what you are expecting. But don't be surprised if more are interested in the side conversation.

I did like your title though. For the most part and to a large extent it is the engine.

I don't think your PR's are so much about the type of bike as they are about how those two bikes fit you, are equipped with the proper gearing and yes even the proper tires for the route you ride. I wouldn't use a TT bike for a typical group ride. IMO a gravel bike is not much different than a road bike. Mostly just allowances for bigger tires. Between TT bike and the gravel bike, I'd expect the gravel bike is more appropriately geared for the route you ride.

But since I don't know what they actually are, those statements are just supposition on my part. You'll need to fill in the blanks.
Excellent point, guess I was just taking it personal, I should know better.

While I use the aero bike for TTs, it's not a true TT bike, it's a Fuji Transonic aero road bike. I've just put deeper wheels and clip-on aero bars for my club's TT series. At some point, I'll probably pick up a dedicated TT bike, but I'd also like to stay married, so that'll probably have to wait until next year lol

I'd have to agree, even looking at my Revolt, it looks like a pretty typical road bike, until you notice how much clearance the fork and chainstays have. Stack is only 26mm taller than my Fuji, so it's just a bit more relaxed. With the 28mm road tires, it's really just a comfortable endurance geo road bike.

Originally Posted by caloso
I love the Thursday night Airport Ride, but I usually can't make it due to shuttle duty for kids' soccer practice. But one night I was finally able to make it and took off on the intermediate sprint and won it with clean wheels. Then a buddy rode up and said, "Good job. The thing is, we don't sprint that sign anymore."

D'oh!
LOL At least you got a good workout in!

I do a fast group ride with my LBS, and haven't quite learned the sprint zones yet, nothing is announced or marked, they just know when to go. Some strong guys in that group too, which is good, helps me push myself.
Old 06-12-19, 10:57 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,904 Times in 2,539 Posts
PRs in group rides? The group speed has far more to do with our speed than our effort. Example: a race I rode twice. Second time would have ticked every PR. 26.6 mph for 105 hilly miles. All I did was ride near the front, make the split with 15 miles to go and not get dropped over those final miles. Yes, the hardest thing I've ever done. But a finisher the year before finishing 10 minutes slower would have soloed the last 15 miles and won by 10 minutes. Both races, over 100 riders. Second race, 3 hours, 56 minutes and change. All 30 of the remains of the field finished under ~3:58. First race, 4:19 in pouring rain. Field sprint. Now the second race set the course record. Old record was a minute or two slower. John Howard - who went away with John Allis with 50 miles to go!

Now, if the OP was driving the pace most of the ride, OK, the PRs are relevant.
Old 06-12-19, 10:58 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I think people are getting hung up on the group ride thing that you got an advantage over a solo ride. But I think your larger point is true about the engine. I recently did a road race with an entry level 2018 Allez, so it's about 22lbs. I finished in the upper half of the field, 90sec behind the winner, but any lack of contention was due to my own fitness and likely not any equipment limitations. If I had been doing anything other than sweet spot training, I might have had the extra physiological gear needed to be in contention. But, I was curious about upgrading my wheels from the stock box section ones, and I'm honestly not convinced any upgrade will really give me an appreciable difference. When I ride solo, I don't care about speed for a few tenths of mph difference, and when I'm in a group other factors come into play. I've posted this under a couple of wheel related topics and it hasn't triggered any responses.
Old 06-12-19, 10:59 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
A gravel bike on GP5000's is likely about as fast a setup, given what was pictured, than some folk's older road bikes on pretty generic road tires and box rims. Not everyone on an A ride is on a Venge/Propel/Timemachine with deep dish wheels and aero/race geometry and fit.

In fact, those tires on CRR alone could be up to 10w+ per tire faster than another road tire. So 20w faster.

If you came in saying you went off the front, solo, for a 1/2 hour before getting caught on the gravel bike and were rocking 32mm+ gravel grinder tires at a minus 10 to 15w penalty per tire then I'd have been more impressed.

I've brought the CX bike to the A ride before thinking it was gravel night. Oops. Did just fine, could break away when the road grade went positive just fine. The 1x was annoying trying to go downhill.

If you want to prove it's really the engine, try it again on your gravel tires and try to stay at least a 1/4 mile off the front solo for at least 1/2 hour or so. Not cheating a stop light or some crap either.

If you can........then you're at the wrong group ride.

Everybody knows that a mixed surface geometry drop bar bike with road tires does the job 99% as well as a dedicated road machine does. That's not a revelation.
Old 06-12-19, 11:01 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
So between the two bikes, is there significant gearing differences? Or do you think your performance difference was more from the tires or how your sit on the two bikes?
Old 06-12-19, 11:09 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
If the bike is 4lb heavier, and any of these strava PR's are hills, then you would have been even faster on your lighter bike. Not sure what the point is here, you had a good ride, maybe the group was faster, maybe you had a tailwind, maybe you ate your Wheaties today, it doesn't matter. If you rode a 4 lb lighter bike, and did the same course under the same conditions, your times would have been faster. Unless of course your bikes are not set up the same or the position is not optimized, etc. etc. But, all other things being equal, a 4-lb lighter bike will be faster, especially going uphill.
Old 06-12-19, 11:20 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
A gravel bike on GP5000's is likely about as fast a setup, given what was pictured, than some folk's older road bikes on pretty generic road tires and box rims. Not everyone on an A ride is on a Venge/Propel/Timemachine with deep dish wheels and aero/race geometry and fit.

In fact, those tires on CRR alone could be up to 10w+ per tire faster than another road tire. So 20w faster.

If you came in saying you went off the front, solo, for a 1/2 hour before getting caught on the gravel bike and were rocking 32mm+ gravel grinder tires at a minus 10 to 15w penalty per tire then I'd have been more impressed.

I've brought the CX bike to the A ride before thinking it was gravel night. Oops. Did just fine, could break away when the road grade went positive just fine. The 1x was annoying trying to go downhill.

If you want to prove it's really the engine, try it again on your gravel tires and try to stay at least a 1/4 mile off the front solo for at least 1/2 hour or so. Not cheating a stop light or some crap either.

If you can........then you're at the wrong group ride.

Everybody knows that a mixed surface geometry drop bar bike with road tires does the job 99% as well as a dedicated road machine does. That's not a revelation.
They are def good tires, I like them. The other guy that was on a gravel bike was on 32mm gravel tires, but he's a strong rider. It was a bit of a revelation to me, but as I mentioned, I think it was just my preconceived notion that a gravel bike would be slower.

Originally Posted by Iride01
So between the two bikes, is there significant gearing differences? Or do you think your performance difference was more from the tires or how your sit on the two bikes?
Transonic has 52/36 and 11/28, the Revolt has 48/32 and 11/34. I spin out at about 35mph on the gravel bike, but that wasn't really an issue, the extra gearing may have helped on a couple of the climbs tho. In truth, I would say my performance was probably about the same overall, guess I was just surprised that the gravel bike wasn't much different from the aero bike. The extra comfort definitely helped on some of the rougher sections.
Old 06-12-19, 11:36 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
In a group ride, I'd think that the number of PRs you get will be dictated by the group's pace, not your own performance on any given bike.
I tend to think this way. In a large ride that is moving quickly, my wattage is pretty low and easily sustained. I am not working hard, the guys at the front are.
Old 06-12-19, 11:58 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I was just really surprised that I did so well on the gravel bike, being under the common assumption that my aero bike would be so much better on the road.
#1 Aero improvement you can make? Helmet. #2 ? Wheels. The frame falls behind these two. You gave your gravel bike a pretty good aero upgrade just by swapping wheels. That plus not getting beat up (aka the bike deflecting all around instead of tracking in a straight line) helped. And you were probably well rested and fueled. Sometimes you just feel good.

Could you tell you were faster during the ride? That's always fun, when you feel faster, then you check the numbers afterwards, and you were.
Old 06-12-19, 12:36 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
In fact, I think if you're a rider on a group ride who constantly drops the group somehow when on your roadie/race bike.......start bringing the slack geometry slow tire bike for a better workout and maybe better tactics. You ride differently when you're able to just attack and disappear versus having to in-fight and conserve/burn.

It's fun once or twice to drop the group up all the hills, but after a while you're just doing intervals alone. It's more fun being "in the mix".

It sounds like a "flex", but it's a valid point to intentionally handicap yourself on a group ride to make it interesting. Nobody is winning anything. Strava PR's or KOMs don't win races or get you a PR in a time trial.
Old 06-12-19, 12:43 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 2,994 Times in 1,850 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
In fact, I think if you're a rider on a group ride who constantly drops the group somehow when on your roadie/race bike.......start bringing the slack geometry slow tire bike for a better workout and maybe better tactics. You ride differently when you're able to just attack and disappear versus having to in-fight and conserve/burn.

It's fun once or twice to drop the group up all the hills, but after a while you're just doing intervals alone. It's more fun being "in the mix".

It sounds like a "flex", but it's a valid point to intentionally handicap yourself on a group ride to make it interesting. Nobody is winning anything. Strava PR's or KOMs don't win races or get you a PR in a time trial.
This is good advice. I sometimes (but not always) deliberately bring a slower bike to a group ride that I know is going to be less intense than my capabilities. Not only because it slows me down a little, but also because it is less responsive and reminds me that the point of the ride is to be social or just to get in some base miles. Unlike the OP, my CX bike is markedly slower (steel, heavy, upright geometry but more to the point, 35 mm gravel tires) than my road bike. It's a good choice for some group rides. Not for others.
Old 06-12-19, 01:10 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
I've often heard people say that it's the engine, not the bike. Last night was a good example.

I took my gravel bike to the A group ride, because my aero bike is setup for a TT on Thursday and I didn't want to mess with it. So I put on my road wheelset with 28mm GP5Ks (measure at 30mm) and ended up setting nine segment PRs, riding my non-aero, 4lbs heavier, endurance geometry gravel bike.

I think part of it is the whole "comfort = speed" thing. Some of the roads we were on are pretty crappy, on a road bike you have to be careful and you get a lil beat up in some sections. On the gravel bike with bigger tires and compliance built-in to the seatpost and bars, I was very comfortable and had no problem pushing through the rough sections.

Yes, in a lab, aero trumps all, but in the real world, sometimes it's a lil different. That being said, I'm still riding my aero bike with 88mm wheels and clip-on aero bars for the TT.
Are you riding in St Paul, MN? 'cause that's exactly my experience on the rough roads around St Paul (I've been on washboard gravel roads that's easier to ride than St Paul's paved roads. ). I took the heavy gravel bike for a group ride while waiting for part for the road bike, the "slow" gravel bike isn't the big penalty you'd expected (based on marketing hype). I'm not the strongest rider with our group but I ended up riding off the front and having to back off. The result for me, I'm riding much lower tire pressure on my road bike for the St Paul group rides and getting more PRs.
Old 06-12-19, 01:55 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Are you riding in St Paul, MN? 'cause that's exactly my experience on the rough roads around St Paul (I've been on washboard gravel roads that's easier to ride than St Paul's paved roads. ). I took the heavy gravel bike for a group ride while waiting for part for the road bike, the "slow" gravel bike isn't the big penalty you'd expected (based on marketing hype). I'm not the strongest rider with our group but I ended up riding off the front and having to back off. The result for me, I'm riding much lower tire pressure on my road bike for the St Paul group rides and getting more PRs.
In the constellation of bad roads in the Twin Cities metro, Saint Paul gets special mention for being abysmal this year. It's truly hazardous. Patching from the rough winter has helped quite a bit in many spots around town. Except in St. Paul.

What St. Paul group rides do yo do?
Old 06-12-19, 02:37 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
In the constellation of bad roads in the Twin Cities metro, Saint Paul gets special mention for being abysmal this year. It's truly hazardous. Patching from the rough winter has helped quite a bit in many spots around town. Except in St. Paul.

What St. Paul group rides do yo do?
I ride with the Birchwood Wednesday night HILLZ group. All the best hills are in St Paul .... and the worst road conditions!
Old 06-12-19, 02:37 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
On the geometry tangent: What is the wheel base of the two bikes? Chainstay length? Head tube angle?

I've been of the mind that longer chainstays help with tracking a straighter line at the expense of a "feeling" of responsiveness. I have 2 bikes both with 20 inch (50cm) chainstays by design. I find they easily & deceptivly ride 18-22 mph on the flat/level but "feel" around 14 or 15mph.

Also the relaxed head tube angle may kick your front wheel further ahead (by comparison) making for a longer more stable bike that so you again, ride a straighter line. Also rough surfaces (which you say you ride on) is less likely to knock you to a new direction. Slacker HTA results in a bike that "rails" corners better (meaning at the expense of easy mid-corner corrections)...All this, of course, dependent on appropriate rake & trail being smartly chosen.

I ask because if your gravel bike does indeed have longer chainstays & slacker headtube than your aero bike it may help to explain your surprise. In short: In your particular situation, your gravel bike cutting through terrain may mean more than your aerobike cutting through the air.

I'm sure someone here will pipe in to educate me on my "wrongthink" but in anycase, for whatever reason, it sounds like you have a nearly optimal ride for conditions.

Rock on!
Old 06-12-19, 03:30 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I ride with the Birchwood Wednesday night HILLZ group. All the best hills are in St Paul .... and the worst road conditions!
Hah. I sometimes ride the TCBC "Gears Tears and Fears" hill climbing ride on Tuesday nights. I'm sure it's the same hills and the same road hazards.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 06-12-19, 05:14 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 914 Post(s)
Liked 1,130 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
#1 Aero improvement you can make? Helmet. #2 ? Wheels.
Depends on which helmet and wheels you started with. That's particularly so for helmets, which tend to be much more individualized. That said, for most riders, in most common sizes, clothing matters roughly about as much as a helmet, and handlebars matter roughly about as much as wheels.
Old 06-12-19, 07:12 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
...handlebars matter roughly about as much as wheels.
Huh, that's interesting.
Old 06-12-19, 07:35 PM
Zaskar

Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
Depends on which helmet and wheels you started with. That's particularly so for helmets, which tend to be much more individualized. That said, for most riders, in most common sizes, clothing matters roughly about as much as a helmet, and handlebars matter roughly about as much as wheels.
And position matters more than all of those... combined.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 06-12-19, 08:56 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
And position matters more than all of those... combined.
Have you found a position you can ride without handlebars? I haven’t. Where do you attach the brake levers?
Old 06-12-19, 09:39 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
Have you found a position you can ride without handlebars? I haven’t. Where do you attach the brake levers?
You don't attach the brake levers. You just hold them in your hands.
Old 06-12-19, 10:10 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
when its a great rider on a lesser bike its the rider , when its a less rider on a great bike its the bike !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.