Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Have you ever see one fail like this?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Have you ever see one fail like this?

Old 06-17-19, 07:23 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The OP is either trolling or, because of his emotional ties to the unfortunate rider, he's holding on to some illogical hope that it really was a JRA failure so that he can blame someone, anyone.
Trolling? Really? So you think I asked my cousin to break her fork, go over the bars and end up in surgery to I could troll this forum?

Look, I don't know what really happened since I wasn't there. You weren't either. So while we can all make assumptions, none of us can state for sure what really happened. That's all I've said all along. And yes, it does look like something got in the spokes that caused it to break.
Old 06-17-19, 08:03 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20805 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Trolling? Really? So you think I asked my cousin to break her fork, go over the bars and end up in surgery to I could troll this forum?
I don't know you, I don't know your cousin and people get weird kicks.

Look, I don't know what really happened since I wasn't there. You weren't either. So while we can all make assumptions, none of us can state for sure what really happened. That's all I've said all along. And yes, it does look like something got in the spokes that caused it to break.
This is the first time that you've acknowledged the likelihood that something got kicked up in to her wheel. Every other post has been, "nope - she didn't hit anything." "Nope, the other riders didn't see anything get stuck in her wheel." "Nope, you weren't there so failure is a possibility." etc, etc. IOW, denying the most likely cause (by a large margin) in favor of perpetuating a mysterious JRA failure. Sorry, but that does seem a bit trollish.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-17-19, 08:21 AM
dmanthree

Sigh...

I don't know you, I don't know your cousin and people get weird kicks.

This is the first time that you've acknowledged the likelihood that something got kicked up in to her wheel. Every other post has been, "nope - she didn't hit anything." "Nope, the other riders didn't see anything get stuck in her wheel." "Nope, you weren't there so failure is a possibility." etc, etc. IOW, denying the most likely cause (by a large margin) in favor of perpetuating a mysterious JRA failure. Sorry, but that does seem a bit trollish.
Sorry, all I've said is that we can speculate, and I've never denied that anything is possible.

But please, "get weird kicks?" Are you for real?
Old 06-17-19, 08:34 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20805 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Sorry, all I've said is that we can speculate, and I've never denied that anything is possible.

But please, "get weird kicks?" Are you for real?
Based on your responses, I'm feeling more and more certain that you're not for real... or you're super naive. Either way, not worth the time. Have fun. Bye.
Old 06-17-19, 09:36 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Why is the fork and its material and failure even being discussed?
It is obviously the the symptom of the incident not the cause.
Whatever jammed in that wheel would of put the rider over the bars regardless of the fork material.
I have a friend who broke his back (fortunately healed ok) when a tyre iron got flicked off the road by another rider and went through his front wheel.
His fork was also smashed but that is irrelevant to the outcome.
That was my initial thought as well. If anything, the fork failing may have prevented an even worse crash. If the fork survived, the bike could have bucked the rider up into the air a bit higher and led to a harder impact on the pavement. With it failing, I would assume the rider just went straight forward and down, as if the front wheel washed out in a slick corner.
Old 06-17-19, 11:46 AM
dmanthree

Bye

Based on your responses, I'm feeling more and more certain that you're not for real... or you're super naive. Either way, not worth the time. Have fun. Bye.
Sorry, all too real.
Old 06-17-19, 01:42 PM
Duragrouch

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 309 Posts
The wheel in question is none of these things. Even if it were, it still wouldn't explain how the super-duper sturdy rim would be intact while several spokes were blown out.
Of course it's explained (if the rim is rigid enough and is impacted from the front); The rim is impacted and stops, unyielding due to rigidity. (Just the rim can be very rigid, and fully spoked it is more so, because as one side is impacted inward, the rim 90 degree forward and back (on top and bottom) resists the rim ovalizing due to the spoke tension.) The rest of the bike keeps going, most specifically the hub, blowing out the aft spokes beyond their ultimate tensile strength. But... aha... if the fork bent first, it wouldn't be stiff enough to yank the spokes. If the spokes broke first and the fork kept going into the frontal impact to bend the fork, the spokes on the front side would be buckled. I yield to your logic sir. I think there was something in the spokes. EDIT: Maybe. Just looked at the pic again, there's just enough spokes still on the back side to keep the front spokes from buckling. Tough call. No buckled front spokes, the aft ones aren't bent either.

Last edited by Duragrouch; 06-17-19 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-18-19, 02:38 PM
edscott.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I hope your cousin does ok.

We will never prove the cause, but based on the picture it really does look consistent with the reflector causing the crash.
Nah. Those cheap plastic reflectors cannot cause a carbon fork to break and knock out all those spokes.
Old 06-18-19, 02:43 PM
edscott.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
I’ve seen pics of a CF fork failing like this after a squirrel jumped into the wheel. While one might expect the spokes to cut the squirrel in two, the wiry little bastard stayed intact (but dead) and the fork gave way instead. Looks to me like something more substantial than a squirrel got into the wheel and started shearing off spokes. Every time the next spoke came up, the object was slammed into the back of the fork before the spoke failed. 6-8 broken spokes and 6-8 impacts against the fork later, it was the forks turn to fail. I would’ve said a stray tree branch, but a branch stout enough to do this damage would hardly be missed. Maybe a piece of metallic road flotsam, like a tool (wrench or screwdriver)?
The wheel is a 32 spoke variant. A squirrel won't fit into the space between the spokes (maybe a rat will, but who ever heard of that?). Maybe on those 20 or 16 spoke wheels a squirrel might fit, but the squirrel perpendicular velocity would have to be much greater than the spoke angular velocity to make it into the space between the spokes. Definitely something for a Marvel film.
Old 06-18-19, 02:53 PM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by edscott.
Nah. Those cheap plastic reflectors cannot cause a carbon fork to break and knock out all those spokes.
IT'S A ****ING ALUMINUM FORK FOR THE 100th TIME IN THIS GD THREAD!!!!! A L U M I N U M.

Last edited by cb400bill; 06-19-19 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Do not bypass for censor
Likes For cthenn:
Old 06-18-19, 03:42 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
I would try to sue TREK
Old 06-19-19, 01:36 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by cthenn
IT'S A ****ING ALUMINUM FORK FOR THE 100th TIME IN THIS GD THREAD!!!!! A L U M I N U M.
All the more reason not to use a carbon fork.
If this could happen to aluminum, god knows what the outcome would have been had it been carbon.
The OP would surely have had to donate a kidney at the very least.
Assuming he had normal kidney function, was over 18, in good health, a compatible blood type, and not a habitual drug user.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 06-19-19, 02:13 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by redlude97
Pretty ignorant to lump taiwan in with china...in addition to it being pointed out a dozen times it was an aluminum fork
I just read the first post which gave no indication of what material the fork was. But my comments still stand. So you are saying there is some kind of prestige having a Made in Taiwan sticker versus Made in China sticker lol. I want some of that Koolaid.
Old 06-19-19, 02:33 AM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts

The collision could have happened so fast she didn't realize what happened especially if she is going at a decent speed obviously. That is why most people probably say they are just "riding along" and it broke. Pretty obvious a collision occurred of some sort, whether it be from an animal, object, etc. In this case any fork would of probably failed. So not Trek's fault, not aluminum's fault, not crabon's fault, just bad luck. I use a carbon fork myself and have decided not to switch it out since this fork was in fact aluminum.
Old 06-19-19, 07:23 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
All the more reason not to use a carbon fork.
similarly for steel and magnesium. We should all stop using forks, they are inherently dangerous.
Old 06-19-19, 08:00 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
similarly for steel and magnesium. We should all stop using forks, they are inherently dangerous.
Incorrect. A steel fork would not have done that.
Steel is real.
NASA has done tests and they have never been able to make a steel fork fail. They have even tried atomic energy.
I think the only known steel fork failure in history was due to an errant Chuck Norris roundhouse kick.
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 06-19-19, 08:12 AM
edscott.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Aluminium, carbon, steel, titanium: there is no way a plastic reflector would cause the break.
But the material being aluminium makes more sense: incorrect heat treatment with a cold spot at the height of the break would cause a discontinuity in the crystaline structure of the metal, creating a a weak spot prone to fracture. It makes sense that the fork broke at the same height on both sides, indicating fatigue along this weak spot finally gave way.

Also notice that broken steel forks in other images are not completely severed. This is due to the resilent quality of steel, completely lacking in aluminium.

I really don't get it why someone would use an aluminium fork instead of good quality steel or even CF, just because it is much cheaper to make for the manufacturer.
Old 06-19-19, 09:16 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by edscott.
The wheel is a 32 spoke variant. A squirrel won't fit into the space between the spokes (maybe a rat will, but who ever heard of that?). Maybe on those 20 or 16 spoke wheels a squirrel might fit, but the squirrel perpendicular velocity would have to be much greater than the spoke angular velocity to make it into the space between the spokes. Definitely something for a Marvel film.
I agree- it would have to be a pretty determined and athletic squirrel to insert itself between the spokes on a 32-spoke wheel at speed. I also don't think something as relatively squishy as a squirrel would've sheared off multiple spokes like we saw here. Also, I imagine the squirrel corpse would have been evident, which apparently it wasn't. I'm sticking with something harder and less obvious, like a stray piece of metal, was flung up and into the spokes.
Old 06-19-19, 09:32 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Why is the fork and its material and failure even being discussed?
It is obviously the the symptom of the incident not the cause.
Whatever jammed in that wheel would of put the rider over the bars regardless of the fork material.
This.

Hope she's recovering well, and willing to get back on a bike--
Likes For superdex:
Old 06-19-19, 10:10 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
Whether this was caused by a squirrel or not, it's a little chilling because I have 5 or 6 mini-heart attacks during every ride these days when suicidal squirrels dart in front of me at the last second. Have visions of that cracked fork with the squirrel wedged in the spokes.
Old 06-19-19, 01:34 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
I propose that fork for an Honorary Carbon degree.
Likes For Reynolds:
Old 06-19-19, 02:50 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,601 Times in 3,466 Posts
Substitutes

IT'S A FU**ING ALUMINUM FORK FOR THE 100th TIME IN THIS GD THREAD!!!!! A L U M I N U M.
Hi,
I can appreciate the frustration, really can. lol. But in the future please just let our filter do it’s work and leave out the partial spellings that are really the same as saying the actual word. Personally I like to use the substitutes “frikkin “ or “freaking”. lol

Regards,
BillyD
Likes For BillyD:
Old 06-19-19, 02:53 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3650 Post(s)
Liked 5,388 Times in 2,733 Posts
If the aluminum fork presents itself as carbon, is that structural appropriation?
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 06-20-19, 09:02 AM
cthenn

Bikes: 2023 Canyon Aeoroad CF SL, 2015 Trek Emonda SLR, 2002 Litespeed Classic, 2005 Bianchi Pista, Some BikesDirect MTB I never ride.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 647 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD
Hi,
I can appreciate the frustration, really can. lol. But in the future please just let our filter do it’s work and leave out the partial spellings that are really the same as saying the actual word. Personally I like to use the substitutes “frikkin “ or “freaking”. lol

Regards,
BillyD
Gotcha. This thread has run its course anyway, so I'll move on.
Likes For cthenn:
Old 06-20-19, 01:48 PM
dmanthree

Heh, heh...

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
If the aluminum fork presents itself as carbon, is that structural appropriation?
I'll ask my cousin if the fork identifies itself as carbon.
Likes For dmanthree:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.