Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

what’s the best cyclocross frame to transfer my fixed gear components to?

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 07-27-18, 03:10 PM
atxdmd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i have the dawes sst fixed gear from bikesdirect. it’s an ok starter bike, but I’m ready to upgrade it to something a little more decent. from what I understand cyclocross bikes are performance bicycles; as such, they are generally fast and relatively light. Second, they are designed to be carried; this is more useful than you would imagine, especially if your home or workplace requires you to carry your bike up stairs. Next, they are designed for both the road and path; the knobby, slightly wider tires and wider handlebars provide significantly better control for those times when you need to travel on dirt. Plus, they are strong enough to endure the punishment of city riding (jumping curbs, potholes, gravel, etc).

this sounds like exactly what I want.

Old 07-27-18, 03:20 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,635 Times in 4,050 Posts
I'd just sell the SST and buy an SS CXer.

If you're in PA by any chance, there's this Crux for $600. Looks like it needs one more tooth to hit magic ratio, though. or a half link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/183937968413697/

Old 07-27-18, 03:58 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4783 Post(s)
Liked 3,904 Times in 2,539 Posts
I'm probably stating the obvious but you do know that very few off the shelf CX bikes have horizontal dropouts and therefor make poor fix gears. Yes, there are ways to make a vertically dropped frame work but they are all real compromises. Horizontal dropouts, either rear opening track ends or front opening horizontal road road dropouts make adjusting the chain "tension" (really "slack") easy. 50 years ago, CX bikes came with horizontal dropouts. No longer.

With a vertically dropped bike, you have two ways to get the correct chain tension. Use one of the few chainring and cog combinations that add up to getting the chain right (and limiting you to a select number of gear combinations) or using an eccentric bearing (either bottom bracket or hub). The eccentric bearing is one where the axle of the either hub or crankset is not along the center of the BB shell in the bike or the dropout. So by rotating the entire bearing unit, you can vary the location o the axle and add or subtract slack to your chain. Expensive and one more thing to have to play with but they work. (The BB one might require a tandem style bigger BB shell. White Industries makes the hub version.)

If I were in your shoes, I'd change my target or wait until I could afford a custom frame. (I used old horizontally dropped sport frames for years. Peugeot UP-8, a Japanese built Schwinn, a Sekine, a Miyata 610, a ~1990 Reynolds 501 Peugeot and now have a 400 level Trek. 7 years ago I had that 501 Peugeot loosely copied with a custom very long road style dropout as a super road fix gear. Expensive, yes. But it gets around your issue completely.

Ben
Old 07-27-18, 04:52 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespe...part-time.html

You may want to think a little more about what you actually want to do before soliciting advice.
Old 07-28-18, 12:30 AM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Check out Black Mountain Cycles. The Monster Cross original has horizontal dropouts and is $595 for frame + fork.

Monster Cross Frame Tech - Black Mountain Cycles
Old 07-28-18, 09:30 AM
atxdmd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespe...part-time.html

You may want to think a little more about what you actually want to do before soliciting advice.

on that thread, people made the great point that I should aim higher than a kilo tt. this is what i came up with!
Old 07-29-18, 10:50 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Back in the day, the cool kids all had Surly fixed gears. The Cross Check frame was a popular option for an easy single speed/fixed gear setup that can handle wider tires.
Old 08-02-18, 06:52 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
The bike you describe is perfect for your needs. Personally, I got a BD Fantom Pro CX bike off of craigslist for $450. I got lucky there - that bike will do just about anything.

What size tire do you run? I find that older CX bikes are kind of limited in tire size, being built around 33mm. That is perfect for urban riding, but for rougher gravel I prefer a CX bike with at least 40mm clearance. Keep that in mind.