Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-07, 05:38 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
That's a toughie, since I've been plateaued for 6 months! @ ±215
Originally Posted by FatChanceEddy
I'm 6'4" and currently at ±240#, down from nearly 275# at the beginning of the year (go me!) and I'm riding one of my Yo-Eddy Fat Chances (red lava, light blue, and root beer) nearly every day. I couldn't tell you the last time I drove my car...and even though I have been managing to get a LOT of miles in every week, I seem to have plateaued in the weight loss department.

The first 20-25# disappeared pretty quickly, but I'm wondering if I can manage to drop another 15-20#. Might be difficult to drop much more weight seeing as how my legs have gotten noticeably larger since the beginning of the year.

How can I get leaner? I've been on this "plateau" for at least a month or two and I'd love to get under 230# again.

On another note, I was moderately annoyed that at a local race, the classification for Clydesdales started at a rather "svelte" 200#. WTF? I haven't been under #200 since I was a sophomore in high school.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 08-06-07, 08:07 PM
Halthane

Bikes: 2001 Giant OCR w/105-10spd, Schwinn High-Plains Built for Commute plus 3 Others in Various Stages of Rebuild/Repair

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Well, you're in the wrong Lafayette! I live in Lafayette, as well, but in Indiana! If I lived in Colorado, we'd hook up though, but a 50 miler IS a bit short for my taste.
When my parents moved from west Lafayette to Houston the guy at the moving company in Houston was very confused when my parents told him they thought it would take them two days to drive south as He thought the were in Louisiana.
Old 08-06-07, 08:30 PM
Thomasdregos

Bikes: Sears mountain bike, Nishiki Meridian hybrid, Schwinn CrossFit hybrid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
223lb. and dropping

I caught the cycling bug two years ago when I weighed about 255lb. I started doing a 50% bike commute to work (12mi. or 7.5mi. one way depending upon the intersection I started from that day) and just rolling about town (today's ride https://maps.yahoo.com/broadband#mvt=...61&mag=5&env=a). That ride was in 102 degree weather with 56% humidity. I was wiped out after that ride! Thankfully I got to stop by a friend's house during route for a head dip in a swimming pool for some midride relief. Today I weighed in at 223lb! I was also stuck on a plateau at 225lb. for almost a month. My goal is 180lb (normal) but I would really like 170lb. (prime!).
Old 08-06-07, 09:10 PM
Wogster

Bikes: Old Bike: 1975 Raleigh Delta, New Bike: 2004 Norco Bushpilot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by FatChanceEddy
I'm 6'4" and currently at ±240#, down from nearly 275# at the beginning of the year (go me!) and I'm riding one of my Yo-Eddy Fat Chances (red lava, light blue, and root beer) nearly every day. I couldn't tell you the last time I drove my car...and even though I have been managing to get a LOT of miles in every week, I seem to have plateaued in the weight loss department.

The first 20-25# disappeared pretty quickly, but I'm wondering if I can manage to drop another 15-20#. Might be difficult to drop much more weight seeing as how my legs have gotten noticeably larger since the beginning of the year.

How can I get leaner? I've been on this "plateau" for at least a month or two and I'd love to get under 230# again.

On another note, I was moderately annoyed that at a local race, the classification for Clydesdales started at a rather "svelte" 200#. WTF? I haven't been under #200 since I was a sophomore in high school.
Weight and leanness don't always go hand in hand, muscle weighs more then fat, so, you can be leaner and actually gain weight. You should probably visit your doctor, and get a body fat percentage test done, this is a better indicator of leanness then weight. While your there, have your cholesterol, blood pressure, and long term blood sugar checked. If your cholesterol, blood pressure and blood sugar are fine, and your body fat is reasonable, then don't sweat the weight.

If your body fat is high, but the others are okay, then you need to look at your diet, changing something there, will probably help. Maybe talk to a registered dietitian, who specializes in sports nutrition to get some fresh ideas.
Old 08-07-07, 11:19 AM
donhaller 

Bikes: GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Damn it! I fell off the wagon again for almost three weeks!! I was doing so good again, I was up to around 100 miles a week and then I fell apart. My wife changed jobs and has our routine all messed up! Plus the weather is pretty muggy and in the 90s this past week or so. Anyhow, I pulled my lame butt off the computer long enough yesterday to get in 15 miles and feel like I can still ride a bike. I have gained ten pounds since I did my Lake Tahoe Century at the beginning of June. I need to get back on the stick and watch what I'm eating too. Thanks for being here and listening to my crap!!

Back on the bike again this week.
Old 08-07-07, 12:36 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Originally Posted by donhaller
Damn it! I fell off the wagon again for almost three weeks!! I was doing so good again, I was up to around 100 miles a week and then I fell apart. My wife changed jobs and has our routine all messed up! Plus the weather is pretty muggy and in the 90s this past week or so. Anyhow, I pulled my lame butt off the computer long enough yesterday to get in 15 miles and feel like I can still ride a bike. I have gained ten pounds since I did my Lake Tahoe Century at the beginning of June. I need to get back on the stick and watch what I'm eating too. Thanks for being here and listening to my crap!!

Back on the bike again this week.
It happens, Don!

Old 08-08-07, 01:23 PM
Sandwarrior
Bent Ryder

Bikes: Bachetta Agio

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't ridden since I came home from work last Saturday . I think I got dehydrated and suffered a major muscle spasm in my left upper back, left rib cage and left shoulder. Today is the first day I have been really pain free. I hope to ride the bike again into work tomorrow. I am going to give it one more day of rest.
Old 08-08-07, 08:59 PM
e0richt

Bikes: Dawes Lightning sport, Trek 1220, Trek 7100

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Motophoto
Ok, I know there are quite a few riders over 200 pounds out there, who are you and what do your ride, we dont want the skinny twigs to have all of the fun . Why do you ride or get back into riding, was it for exercise to loose weight or have you always been riding? At what weight exactly does one become a Clydesdale?

Here are some photos of my bikes.

Well I guess I dont have this photo posting thing down, sorry. Here is my story I am 40 years old now weigh in at 250 pounds and am six foot tall. I am also dealing with a fused left ankle(ankle does not move) and bad arthritis in my right knee so the doctor said about the only thing I could do for exercise was ride a bicycle or get in a pool. So the bike it was nobody needs to be subjected to me in a speedo the bike shorts are bad enough .
well, I am 315, 5'9''. I ride a Dawes Lightning Sport that I bought off ebay. I used to do weight training on and off to try to keep in shape but I found that even though its "well known" that you need to build muscle mass to burn calories even when at rest, it never really helped with that... I just tended to bulk up... I don't like running for a few reasons, one of which is that I would really hate meeting up with someone while jogging because I was self conscious and it would take a bit of time to get some distance from the person... I liked the speed of being on a bicycle and if I needed a quick rest I could coast for a bit and then continue with the exercise... I also liked the mechanical aspects of keeping a bike in shape. It kind of reminds me of when I used to work on my car when I was in college (things were quite a bit simpler then).
Old 08-08-07, 09:13 PM
donhaller 

Bikes: GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope

Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Motophoto
Ok, I know there are quite a few riders over 200 pounds out there, who are you and what do your ride, we dont want the skinny twigs to have all of the fun . Why do you ride or get back into riding, was it for exercise to loose weight or have you always been riding? At what weight exactly does one become a Clydesdale?
Funny, I have seen this post for a long time, but never actually saw what the OP was about.

I started at 265lbs and 5'8" tall now I'm 265lbs and 4'3" tall --- only kidding
I got down to 212 in June right before my Team in Training Century, but I have gained back some and am currently at 224lbs.

As for my bike, I ride a Giant TCR C1 Full Carbon bike with Zsyrium Elite wheels
- This is the best bike I have owned.
Old 08-12-07, 06:29 PM
spyponder
wide, ride, clyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi all,

I am at 280 now, down from about 315 a year and a half ago, lost mostly through jogging and diet changes. I love the jogging but my knees are feeling the strain and I'm getting into biking to mix it up a bit. Getting back into road riding after about 20 years. I put slick tires on my old Gary Fisher hardtail mtn bike about a month ago. I have been getting out a few mornings a week, enough so that I decided it was time to get my first road bike since the old steel Univega I bought with my paper route money back in the early '80's. Yesterday I brought home a new Specialized Sequoia, and I'm looking forward to the first ride tomorrow AM.

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now and want to say thanks for all the useful info - this forum has been a great help to this Clyde! I hope to start adding my .02 more often.

Cheers,
Spyponder
Old 08-12-07, 07:17 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Welcome aboard! Definitely post and contribute here!

Old 08-12-07, 08:48 PM
Halthane

Bikes: 2001 Giant OCR w/105-10spd, Schwinn High-Plains Built for Commute plus 3 Others in Various Stages of Rebuild/Repair

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spyponder
Hi all,

I am at 280 now, down from about 315 a year and a half ago, lost mostly through jogging and diet changes. I love the jogging but my knees are feeling the strain and I'm getting into biking to mix it up a bit. Getting back into road riding after about 20 years. I put slick tires on my old Gary Fisher hardtail mtn bike about a month ago. I have been getting out a few mornings a week, enough so that I decided it was time to get my first road bike since the old steel Univega I bought with my paper route money back in the early '80's. Yesterday I brought home a new Specialized Sequoia, and I'm looking forward to the first ride tomorrow AM.

I've been lurking on this forum for a while now and want to say thanks for all the useful info - this forum has been a great help to this Clyde! I hope to start adding my .02 more often.

Cheers,
Spyponder
So what's happening to that old univega then?
Old 08-13-07, 06:19 AM
spyponder
wide, ride, clyde

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good question. It is either still in my mother's basement, or was trashed by one of my nephews or nieces long ago. Next time I visit Mom I'll check it out. That thing was a tank but it got me where I needed to go all through high school.
Old 08-20-07, 02:33 AM
leamcorp

Bikes: Fuji Team Trek FX Bianchi MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, just dropping by from South Jersey.

I never knew I was a clyde till I saw this forum (never heard of that terms before). I'm 42, 5' 7" or 8" depending on my posture and weight 202lb at this point. The weight is kind a funny thing for me as when I started cycling (seriously in June), I actually weighted 185lb. I don't pay too much attention to the weight as I see that my body tells me different - go figure. I typically ride all over South Jersey (Salem/Cumberland counties) and do about 120-160 miles per week. Unfortunately, the day is getting shorter, so I'll have to leave earlier from work soon.

I haven't ridden with any group as I wanted to get better before joining a club/group - hopefully next season I'll be able to keep up with some of the folks here for next year gatherings.

As for my ride, I have a 2006 Fuji Team road bike. I don't know much about bikes, but I believe its a full carbon bike (Was going to buy Specialized Aluminum bike, but this was on sale, - so I spaved). I didn't know there was weight related issue with bikes (or I would of never bought a carbon bike), but so far I haven't had any problems other than couple of flats. I also have 2 other hybrid bikes for around town/trail rides (Bianchi/Trek).

Cheers!
Old 08-22-07, 12:44 PM
dsilver668
Chasing the Peloton!

Bikes: K2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well This is my first post here. I am a sturdy guy at age 35. I am currently 212 lbs or so. I finally got off my $$s on July 2nd and decided to get back into shape. There were lots of things I had to change about myself. In November of 06 I quit smoking. I was around 190 / 200 then. My weigth would go up and down. Well now it went up and up.. I hit 222 at my maximum. I finally figured out I was horribly miserable at my job and needed to change something and quick. I quit my job and started a new one on July 2nd of this year. The cool thing was they had a gym. I work in Emeryville CA and we all walk together to go to lunch and my stress is way down. I go to the gym three times a week and started eating better. I quit the comfort or stress eating I was doing and I try getting out on my real bike at least once or twice a week. I have a K2 mountain bike, but I want to get a road bike. Since July 2nd I went from 222 to 212. YIPEEE!!! I have more engergy and just feel better. My goal weight is 170 or their abouts as of course muscle is heaver etc. For me I just grab the flab and see if it has gone down. Call it a pinch test if you will. Of course a body fat percentage test is better, but as an overall guide it helps. The major thing I have had to deal with is portion control. In the US portions are always huge. Go to almost any place to eat and the plates are huge. Even though you may want to eat it all your body doesn't need it. It has been my biggest struggle, but I am getting there. I also always eat a full bowl of salad and then a portion of vegitables prior to eating the good stuff. This keeps me from eating to much since by the time I hit the higher callory and fatty foods on my plate the hunger pangs are gone since I ate salad and vegitables prior. I was also hearing on the news that us guys who eat vegitables like brocholi and such have a 40% less chance of getting colon cancer that spreads to other parts of our bodies. Sounds good enough to me to eat my veggies. I usually ride out on Foothill expressway in Los Altos which is a great ride. Not to hilly and there are tons of folks out on bikes so there is community there to. I am thinking building up a Pedal Force QS2 frame with SRAM Grouppo. It will get me the best possible components with my choice of things like wheels and tires.
This brings me to my question:
For those of you out there what type of wheels would you suggest. When I look online I think the "training" wheels would be best. They keep my costs down and since they are "training" wheel sets I think they make them stronger to last longer and not worry some much about weight. I am thinking something in the Campagnolo line might be good. but then again I am no expert.
Old 08-22-07, 12:53 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Sounds like you're doing quite well! Welcome aboard!

Old 08-22-07, 10:11 PM
dsilver668
Chasing the Peloton!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Tom.. I just keep on pedaling and it is working.. I know I will hit a wall every now and again but dang I am having a blast.
Old 08-23-07, 04:39 AM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by dsilver668
Thanks Tom.. I just keep on pedaling and it is working.. I know I will hit a wall every now and again but dang I am having a blast.
We all hit that wall every so often

Old 08-23-07, 07:00 AM
deanack
Cycling since 1978

Bikes: 1981 Custom Assenmacher, 27", full Campy Super Record. Canondale Tandem, 25.5"-21.5" , Giant Yukon MTN Bike 24", 2010 Trek 2.3 64cm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everyone,

I'm
Old 08-23-07, 07:10 AM
deanack
Cycling since 1978

Bikes: 1981 Custom Assenmacher, 27", full Campy Super Record. Canondale Tandem, 25.5"-21.5" , Giant Yukon MTN Bike 24", 2010 Trek 2.3 64cm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, try again, I'm 6'5" and 225lb. I have been riding long rides since 1978. I have just started commuting to work in late June, 10 one way. I feel great! I got a Gaint Yukon 24" to ride to work. I also have a custom built Assenmacher with Campy Super Record 27" frame from 1981 and a Kurahara 25.5" x 21.5" Tandem from 1984 all with SPD pedals. My weight goes from 219 to 235, but I have been at 225 for over a year.
Old 08-23-07, 11:23 AM
Tom Stormcrowe

Welcome to Clyde's, dean!

Your Campag is making me drool!

Old 08-23-07, 01:17 PM
dsilver668
Chasing the Peloton!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome Dean..
Honestly we all get stuck here and there. Just keep at it. So long as you are enjoying riding your body will be happier for it.
Old 08-24-07, 12:25 PM
PIKE 4 Life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am from St. Louis, i was wondering if anyone knew of any good places to ride around here besides creve couer and forst park. Also I started riding in Late June i started on a MTB and weighed around 305, and now i am currently down to 280, through cycling, eating better not always to healthy, and weight lifting. I just ordered a new road bike a Fuji Roubaix Pro 2006 and i cant wait to get it since my 15 year MTB quit on me a couple of weeks ago.
Old 08-24-07, 12:26 PM
PIKE 4 Life

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yeah and im around 6'2 or so
Old 08-26-07, 07:57 AM
Froggy

Bikes: Trek, Bacchetta

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rides in St Louis

Pike,

Check out Routeslip.com. Dozens of routes all throughout the St Louis area as short or long as you want 'em. Also, Trailnet.org has a schedule of many organized rides.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.