Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First bike - is a 2001 trek 2000 a good choice?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-10, 05:57 AM
doctorbonez
noob

Bikes: 2006 Trek 1000, 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara, 2006 Citizen Gotham folder (her)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm considering getting a gently used 2001 trek 2000 (https://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/B...2000&Type=bike). I'm coming from mtn biking, so I don't know all that much about road bikes, is there anything to look for when buying a used road bike? Any thoughts on this particular model? Is $350 a fair price for it?

Thanks!
Old 08-09-10, 07:17 AM
Spire
山馬鹿

Bikes: Nakagawa

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2002 Trek 1000 (I think it has the same SL frame) and it certainly has kept up over the years.

Sometimes though I think the similarly priced Specialized Allez would have been a better choice though... Check that one out too and see which one fits better.

Is $350 a fair price for it?
Entirely depends on the condition, can we have more details like mileage, wear etc...

Old 08-09-10, 07:37 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Gently used, less than 500 miles ridden downhill only and only in the dry...

In all honesty many bikes sit propped up against the garage wall so the age might not be an issue. Components wear and tear will tell you more than the frame.
Old 08-09-10, 07:39 AM
Spire
山馬鹿

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
500 miles after 9 years?

Old 08-09-10, 08:04 AM
doctorbonez
noob

Bikes: 2006 Trek 1000, 2001 Gary Fisher Tassajara, 2006 Citizen Gotham folder (her)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i havent gone to look at the bike yet, but the seller says its 9/10 and been used maybe 200 miles. Anything a newbie can look for in terms of wear and tear?
Old 08-09-10, 08:09 AM
musicmaster

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Condition of the rear cogs, scratches / dents in the frame. Brake wear
Old 08-09-10, 08:12 AM
Spire
山馬鹿

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by doctorbonez
i havent gone to look at the bike yet, but the seller says its 9/10 and been used maybe 200 miles. Anything a newbie can look for in terms of wear and tear?
If its only had 300km in 9 years, I would be wary for rust and that the components of the bike still work.

at 300km there should be pretty much no wear on the bike itself so look for any indications that this may not be the case.

Old 08-09-10, 08:32 AM
doctorbonez
noob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I'll take a look at this bike tonight and hopefully itll be as advertised without rust. Thanks for everyone's input so far!

Any thoughts on this bike vs. a newer used allez (if i can find one around the same price point?) Any difference between the older tiagra vs. newer sora components?
Old 08-09-10, 09:04 AM
Spire
山馬鹿

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good Luck!

Old 08-09-10, 07:57 PM
doctorbonez
noob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Took a look at it tonight. The bike doesnt look like there was too much wear, but it doesnt look like it was well cared for.. little nicks and scratches on it, probably from putting the bike down roughly.

Also, there was some play where the fork mates to the headset, it almost seemed as if there was something loose, but i didnt have the appropriate equipment to mess around with it and a quick call to a road bike friend told me to be wary since it could mean something expensive to fix. so I declined to purchase, however, after they got home, they said they used a wrench to tighten it and its fixed.

If its fixed i may consider buying it. Everything else seemed up to par, shifters worked flawlessly and brakes were fine. No real cable rub. Nicks and scratches here and there, but nothing big enough to indicate a big accident. Not sure what worn cogs look like, but these looked pretty good.
Old 08-09-10, 09:18 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Did you ride it? That's an aluminum fork on an aluminum frame. It's going to transmit every bump and pebble to you. If you rode it and you like that kind of ride, go for it. Me, I'd pass. BTW, the price is pretty good but just tightening the head may or may not "fix" the problem. Check the bearings in the steering by moving back and forth off the ground. As you turn the bars, try to feel if there are any flat spots in the bearings. If there's a problem, it's hard to hide it. Also check for play in the head by rolling the bike forward then jam the front brake (front only) and watch to see is excessive steerer/fork movement.
Old 08-09-10, 09:52 PM
doctorbonez
noob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did get to ride the bike, but it was just around the parking lot. I haven't been on a road bike in 10+ years (back when i was a kid riding my dads road bike) so i dont really know how its supposed to feel, but on the parking lot for the 10 min i rode it felt fine. I did note that once in a while when i braked (maybe it was into a turn?) i noticed a clicking from the fork, which was probably that fork/headset play. I can actually see maybe 2mm of space between the fork and the headset.. with some grease peaking out when i touched it. fwiw, the play in the fork seemed to be a lateral movement,and not an up an down movement (if that helps at all in figuring why it was loose).

I'll be sure to get a feel for the bearings if i go pick it up.
Old 06-22-19, 06:26 AM
danco

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A short while ago, in I bought a distressed 2001 model of the Trek 2000 Alpha SL.
It needed a bit of TLC and I replaced front derailleur, but it has become a favorite in my bike stable.
Do insist upon repair of the headset which was mentioned as suspiciously "loose."
otherwise, it becomes your problem so it can help negotiated a further reduction in seller's asking/accepting price.
They are solid bikes, and easily up-gradable when and if you should desire to do so.
Good luck.
Old 06-22-19, 07:44 AM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by doctorbonez
Ok, I'll take a look at this bike tonight and hopefully itll be as advertised without rust. Thanks for everyone's input so far!

Any thoughts on this bike vs. a newer used allez (if i can find one around the same price point?) Any difference between the older tiagra vs. newer sora components?
Good, used road bikes at reasonable prices are all over Craigslist in your area (NYC, Hudson Valley, Jersey, CT). The value of bicycles drop like a rock once they roll out of the showroom - good for a buyer like you.

If you are not sure what you want/need I suggest that you not rush into buying the first bike you see - tons of options for you out there.

Since you have 12 posts you can post photos of what you are looking at (or Craigslist/Offer Up links) and ask the BF members to advise. State your height, inseam, price range, and style of riding/location you want to do.
Old 06-22-19, 10:11 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy a nearly 20 year old bike. Not even for 100 bucks.
Old 06-22-19, 12:09 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Fortunately, the bike was only 9 years old when the OP posted
Old 06-22-19, 12:15 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Not a big fan of quill stems. In fact I hate them lol. But in the $350 price range it's actually tough to find a good road bike so I think this is a good deal so long as there are no major issues with the bike. That looseness could be the headset bearing but we'll see. Just be advised you will probably want to replace the seat, probably the cassette/crank to suit your riding style, etc. eventually. If you decide this sport isn't for you it shouldn't be hard to sell that bike for what you got it for.
Old 06-22-19, 05:04 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
Fortunately, the bike was only 9 years old when the OP posted
So true! I always forget to check the dates on the original posts. But in reality the same questions and issues get re-hashed on BF over and over - so does it really matter that a post is 10 years old?!
Likes For jlaw:
Old 06-23-19, 06:47 AM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by jlaw
So true! I always forget to check the dates on the original posts. But in reality the same questions and issues get re-hashed on BF over and over - so does it really matter that a post is 10 years old?!
Maybe. When considering the cost of the bike in question 9 years ago vs. today.