Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Experience wearing the Osprey Transit/Torque/Spin?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-10, 09:32 AM
Alec E

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been trying to find a medium-sized bag to wear, while cycling, that is both waterproof and that zips shut (I'm afraid of some of my small electronics falling out of a conventional messenger closure should I place this at my feet on a bus/train/etc). Long ago I saw the Osprey Torque (the Transit and Spin are identical, but larger/smaller), but had forgotten about it until I came across one again today. It's apparently been discontinued and is quite cheap online now. It also seems to be what I want. Trying it on in a store, however, I wondered if it would really be comfortable to wear. I find mainly positive reviews of it online, but I also found this, which somehow has the ring of truth: "It just won't work if you're riding a bike... it is absolutely not a messenger bag suitable for carrying across your bag on a bike. it's meant to hang off your side when you walk to the train station or across campus, whatever. if you try to use it like a normal messenger bag on a bike it feels like a giant shelf with one single point of contact. It's constantly swinging everywhere because it doesn't form to your back nor are the straps really designed to cinch to your body like a timbuk2 or chrome."

On the other hand, the reviewer seems to be complaining about the rigid and ridged backside which might be a benefit in hot weather. Either that or he felt that the bag wouldn't rest against him except for one end of it, which was actually rather the experience I had wearing the (empty) bag in the store.

So I'm interested in whether or not it's suitable for being worn across the lower back, messenger-style, and whether or not it's sufficiently water repellent. I had an Osprey Porter bag which got soaked surprisingly quickly the one time it was exposed to rain. I do see from the archives that someone here has used a Torque as a Pannier, but I don't think I'm interested in trying that at the moment.

Thanks.
Old 03-20-10, 09:12 PM
knucklesandwich

Bikes: Kona Jake (2006)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a piece of crap, and definitely not bike specific.
I had a Torque and got rid of it. Not waterproof in the least, and when I emailed Osprey about it they claimed it wasn't made for hardcore commuting...dunno why the hell they would make waterproof zippers (which quickly shed their waterproof seals/edging) if the rest of the bag didn't keep water out.
The main strap was fairly comfortable, but when loaded and on the back, the whole bag would fold slightly and push the points where the strap met the bag into your body. The bag is rigid too, meaning it's essentially the same size loaded as unloaded, for what thats worth.

Decent bag for 1-3 night plane trips, but I found myself using my smaller Mountainsmith lumbar pack for commuting as often as possible, until I got a Bailey Works.
The larger Mountainsmith might be ideal, if you don't have to carry a laptop.
Old 03-20-10, 09:15 PM
Alec E

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for the frank reply. I'll look at those two brands you've mentioned.