Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale Synapse?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cannondale Synapse?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-10, 08:46 PM
fujiteamrc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cannondale Synapse?

Hello Everyone, I have a Fuji Team RC and have never really felt comfort with it. I have ridden about 3000 miles on the bike and haven't been able to get use to the twitchy steering. I have only been road cycling for about 2yrs and this was my first bike(got a good deal) without doing research. The bike is a racing bike. I'm a pretty good rider and usually do well in the local "fast" group weekly rides, but have never been able to feel comfortable because I don't really trust my bike's steering. I�m not all over the road but just don�t feel relaxed with the group. I know some of the problem is that I�m not the best bike handler. I have been doing some research on the Cannondale Synapse and it seems to be more like what I need. The Synapse has a more upright riding position and a longer wheelbase for greater stability. I was wondering if any of you have experience with the Synapse and could the Synapse make a decent race bike? I test rode the Synapse today and thought it had great stability, but didn�t like the upright position, but there was several spacers which could be removed to make it more aggressive. I don�t really race, but I do ride with a very competitive group of which most race locally and would like to have a bike that is race worthy if I decide too. So, Do you think with the proper components the Synapse could be a decent race bike?
Thanks
Old 03-20-10, 09:17 PM
knucklesandwich

Bikes: Kona Jake (2006)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Take $100 to your local fitter before you go and buy another bike.
Old 03-20-10, 09:31 PM
fujiteamrc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, My Fuji is a 56cm and the Synapse that i'm looking at is a 58cm. The LBS thought that i am more in need of a 58 because of my height I am 6'1" and I have tried to get the Fuji 56cm to fit by changing stem,seat position, and seat height and have followed the basic rules for bike fit. The LBS thought that the size of my Fuji may have been alot of my trouble. As soon as LBS saw me they thought I needed a 58cm but can you tell by looking at someone the size frame they need?
Thanks
Old 03-20-10, 09:40 PM
mehran9o

Bikes: Giant Defy 2 (2009)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking for an entry level road bike couple of days ago. The local dealer offered me a Specialized allez and Cannondale synapse 6. I was fit on both bikes and I felt more comfortable on the synapse. It was more stable than Specialized allez but less aggressive position as you said. It also has a wide space between the fork and the tire, so you can change the tire to a wider one if you ever need to. I don't know if it is a good racing bike but I think it is a comfortable bike.
I actually ended up buying another bike but that's just because the other bike was a bit cheaper with better components.
I'd say synapse series are decent bikes. I also liked their appearances.
Old 03-20-10, 09:46 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
no, but general rule of thumb is that top-tube length is what you use for first approximation, and it's largely a function of the length of your upper body. seat tube doesn't matter as much as long as it's not an integrated seat mast.
Old 03-20-10, 10:49 PM
DevDel

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Five, Cannondale Rize Four

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They do steer nicely, but the aluminum version is heavy...I think it would last forever. It's made to ride comfy, you can bounce up and down and watch the fork flex and I'm sure the rear does the same. I only dabble in MTB racing, but if I went road racing, I wouldn't roll out a Synapse.

The aluminum version also comes with long reach brakes and will leave you unable to run most if not all top of the line brakes from popular groups.
Old 03-20-10, 10:57 PM
fujiteamrc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, My LBS as an 2009 Aluminum Synapse for $799; the Synapse 6 2010 carbon cost $1599 I was thinking about the aluminum frame what do you guys think? Or do you the carbon is worth the extra money?
Thanks
Old 03-20-10, 11:00 PM
DevDel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fujiteamrc
Hi, My LBS as an 2009 Aluminum Synapse for $799; the Synapse 6 2010 carbon cost $1599 I was thinking about the aluminum frame what do you guys think? Or do you the carbon is worth the extra money?
Thanks
The carbon cures the almost 2lb weight handicap of the alum version, but it's still not a racebike. I'd love to have a Hi mod version...perfect century bike.

Old 03-20-10, 11:32 PM
fujiteamrc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What do you think about the CAAD 8 it suppose to straddle Elite and Performance geometry. Would it be a better choice than the Synapse? Im looking for something not as twitchy as a full blown racer but still not a plush bike.
Thanks
Old 03-20-10, 11:38 PM
roadiejorge 
stole your bike

Bikes: Orbea Orca, Ridley Compact

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Getting used to the twitchy feel is the cheapest option considering most true racing bikes have shorter wheelbases than more comfort oriented bikes. I find myself on my race oriented bike more than I do on the more "stable" one because I like the quicker steering response but to each his own. You can set up the Synapse in a more aggressive position and can race on it, just depends on how much saddle to bar drop you're looking to get out of it.
Old 03-20-10, 11:46 PM
fujiteamrc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, How much of a weight difference do you think the Carbon Synapse would have on the Aluminum Synapse?
My plan is to take all my Dura-Ace components off the Fuji and build the Synapse. Does anyone have an idea what a nicely done component wise synapse would weight? Weight for Carbon & Aluminum? Or just give me a good guess.
Thanks
Old 03-21-10, 07:23 AM
ALPhillips

Bikes: 06 C'dale Synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, How much of a weight difference do you think the Carbon Synapse would have on the Aluminum Synapse?
My plan is to take all my Dura-Ace components off the Fuji and build the Synapse. Does anyone have an idea what a nicely done component wise synapse would weight? Weight for Carbon & Aluminum? Or just give me a good guess.
Thanks
My Synapse + DA is around 16 lbs.
Old 03-21-10, 09:44 AM
dark13star
Mountain Goat

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 3 Carbon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Carbon Synapse with Ultegra and a lightweight wheelset is 16.5 lbs. Don't forget that team Liquigas raced the Synapse in Paris Roubaix a few years back, so it can be raced. It just has a bit longer wheelbase than most race bikes. There is plenty of room to drop the bars, and you can even take off that big cone spacer and replace it with a smaller one.

I love my Synapse, but I did not like the aluminum one that I tested. The carbon is really smooth. The aluminum felt harsh on rough surfaces.
Old 03-21-10, 10:05 AM
SVThis

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 710, 2010 Scott CR! Team

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You might also want to look at a 2010 Scott CR1. More comfort oriented than last years model and would fit into the Synapse catagory but at the same time be a little more performance oriented IMO. Worth a look. Test ride both and see what you like.
Old 03-21-10, 10:25 AM
DevDel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For comparison to the carbon numbers above, my alum syn was mid 19's w/ ultegra and 1400 gram wheels, light stem, seat and bars. I swapped the ultegra and wheels over to a caad 9 frame and lost two pounds over the syn build.

Even cannondale dealers don't seem overly fond of the new caad 8, one told me the frame was a lunker. There's too many left over bikes, with the poor economy and all, not to just buy a better model.
Old 03-21-10, 12:31 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 1,286 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by DevDel
it's still not a racebike.
Tell that to this guy https://www.teamsetanta.org/pages/team/davec.html who recently upgraded to CAT3 after racing on a Synapse for the past 2 seasons.
Old 03-21-10, 01:27 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SVThis
You might also want to look at a 2010 Scott CR1. More comfort oriented than last years model and would fit into the Synapse catagory but at the same time be a little more performance oriented IMO. Worth a look. Test ride both and see what you like.
Add the Look 566 and Specialized Roubaix to that list (I'll bet there are a bunch of others, too).

I haven't ridden a carbon Synapse yet, and it's been a couple years since I tried an aluminum one (and almost as long since I've tried a Roubaix). I got to try a 566 just yesterday, but still no rides on a CR1. I'd say that any of them are nicer for all-day riding than my CAAD8, though. If it weren't for other nice carbon bikes like the Tarmac, I'd definitely be picking one of these to be my next nice road bike.
Old 03-21-10, 02:32 PM
firebolt428

Bikes: Cannondale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is my 2nd race season on my Cannondale Synapse 3. Its a good bike. Mine is a bit heavy at around19lbs but overall its been a great all around bike..

Old 03-21-10, 03:06 PM
fujiteamrc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode the Alum Synapse and it was a 58cm; I felt ok on the bike but have been use to a 56cm. When I straddle the 58cm i was touching the top tube where as on my 56cm I have about an inch. The LBS thought the 58 fit perfectly but I thought it was too big; they didn't have a 56cm to try. I did one of the online bike fit sites and entered all my body measurements and it came up with a 56.4 cm. So, now i'm even more confused. There is a good deal on the 09 Carbon Syn 6 for $1250 and thought this might be my best choice, if it is my frame size. Do you think the 56 would be fine? I have about 1 inch on my 56cm frame. Also, I think now I would rather have the carbon due to weight and smooth ride.
Old 03-21-10, 03:11 PM
Miller2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Synapse Hi Mod carbon. it is VERY comfortable. My other bike is a Ridley Excalibur. Other than the comfort difference between the two I have noticed that the Synapse does not corner nearly as well as the Ridley and it may not even climb as well, although I'm on the fence about that. It is so smooth and really soaks up vibrations from road imperfections.

With SRAM Force mine weighs in the low 16lb range.
Old 03-21-10, 03:14 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I rode the Alum Synapse and it was a 58cm; I felt ok on the bike but have been use to a 56cm. When I straddle...
You don't ride with your feet on the ground.

Standover height was a (mostly) reliable size indicator back when all bikes had horizontal top tubes. The Synapse's top tube doesn't slope much, but it's still not horizontal.

FWIW, I'm also 6'1". I tried to make a 56 cm CAAD8 fit me, but a fitting at my LBS would have given me a LOT of saddle setback and a huge 140mm stem. They swapped it for a larger frame, and it's been a lot better. BUT, as usual, your body proportions may be different enough from mine that we can't compare frame sizes.
Old 03-21-10, 05:25 PM
stewpot
has a gear fetish

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an '08 carbon 3 synapse and have altered it by taking a lot of the spacers out and dropping the stem. My bike came with ultegra compact so I swapped from the 50-36 chain rings and put 53-39 on with 175mm cranks. I love it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2387.jpg (108.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 03-21-10, 07:22 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Potentially relevant thread that I started yesterday, asking about differences between "relaxed" and "race" geometries (I mentioned Specialized Tarmac vs. Roubaix; that would be like Cannondale Six vs. Synapse) --

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ers&p=10557714
Old 03-21-10, 07:32 PM
EKCooper

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale Synapse 7 w/ Ultegra Upgrade

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Synpase 7 upgraded to ultegra and it's still pretty heavy compared to all of these 16 pound bikes people keep posting. I'm thinking about getting something more aggresive for triathlons (cervelo S1 maybe), but would still not use anything other than the Synapse for long rides. It's very comfortable (I chose it over the CAAD9) and I feel great on it now that it's upgraded and has a good saddle.
Old 03-21-10, 07:43 PM
bowman57
LIVE TO RIDE PERIOD

Bikes: CANNONDALE SYNAPSE with full Ultegra, 2010 Scott CR1 Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2007 Synapse and i have to say it is great bike you can't take anything away from it, but my new 2008 left over SIX13 is my favorite bike now. I only 500 miles on the SIX13 and have over 8000 miles on the Synapse all can say is the Six13 is in a league of its own, a ride like carbon with the performance of a CAD9. All i can say about this Cannondale had some thing going on with the SIX13 bike frame and then drop it to go overseas and make more money on cheap labor.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.