Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Crash In Leading Group - New York 5 Boros Bike Tour

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Crash In Leading Group - New York 5 Boros Bike Tour

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-12, 11:13 AM
VeeDubOne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Do the NYC century in Sept (other people have mentioned it in this thread). Longer, fewer people, and no closed roads (it does use bike lanes and paths in many places).
Originally Posted by VeeDubOne
OP, Hope you & bike recover quick.

I've done this ride about 4yrs back, before they instituted the lottery system. Congested as heck, as there are the inevitable bottlenecks as a thousand bikers converge and try to squeeze thru single file in some parts. Lot of waiting at the start. Between the two, I prefer the NYC Century in Sept... a more manageable 5000 show up, and starts are staggered and generally there is not a whole lot of mayhem (not familiar with waht happens upfront in the lead pack doing 25mph of course...)
Been there, 4 of them ...doing it again this year. Its a rush initially with all the traffic, though it turns into a slog with all the stops by the time you are in the fourth quarter. You need hardy tires though. The first time i did, i ended up with 2 punctures followed by a cut tire, while i had 2 spare tubes! The dollar bill came in handy. Used Gatorskins next times.
Old 05-08-12, 10:11 PM
noise boy

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 300 Posts
Originally Posted by DGlenday
Rode the "New York 5 Boros Bike Tour" today.

32,000 cyclists riding 40 miles on closed streets in New York City. I wasn't a very fast ride, but it was quite nice.

I was in the leading group right behind the convoy of police cars, and about 8 miles from the end ...and CRASHED at about 22mph!

It was a tight group, and 3 people in front of me came down - I believe because of a wheel touch. I managed to swerve around them, but the guy behind me wasn't able to stop in time and took me down with him - then someone came over me. I think 8 people came down. Had to walk 4 miles back to my hotel, because the SAG wagon was more than an hour away and there are no subway stations in that area. So my knee and elbow are a bit banged up and I'll be pretty bruised in the morning.

Worst - my bike's rear wheel looks like a Pringle - it's buckled out of recognition.

Was anyone here in 5-boros the ride? Or were you in the leading group, and perhaps involved in the crash?
Was that under the overpass on the BQE? We rode by what looked like a massive pile-up there and we were in the front group leaving Astoria. This was our second time, we blew off the start and just picked up the front of the ride at the top of Central Park, no drama all day, no bottlenecks. At most of the rest stops we ended up waiting for the next section to open (they stagger the road closures to keep costs down). It was a lot of fun, we will probably do it again next year, makes a nice part of a long weekend in NYC.

Last edited by noise boy; 05-08-12 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-08-12, 11:08 PM
DGlenday

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noise boy
Was that under the overpass on the BQE?
Yep - that was us.
Old 05-09-12, 04:30 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I've done all three rides mentioned, TdeBronx, NYC Century and the 5 boro multiple times. The NYC Century is probably the best from a riding standpoint as you never have any bottlenecks, and it is pretty well organized until the various groups all meet up at the same point in Astoria. There it seems hectic as the 100 milers, 50 milers and a few others all gather together and separate again. Overall though it is a good ride at a brisk clip, and the 100 milers are usually a better trained group.

The Tour de Bronx isn't so much a ride as a gathering, as they hold up the group at various checkpoints. The first time I did it I had a blast, the second time I kept losing my partner, and the third time was a real drag when they couldn't even get the directions straight. The third time I decided to join the shorter ride after I fell for club tombay, and managed to be the first rider at the finish! They must have been holding the shorter ride group somewhere as I wasn't even riding fast but was ahead of them as the longer ride left first. I just wanted to get out of there.

But of the three, the 5 boro is the most fun. Just don't expect it to be a fast ride, accept the fact that there are bottlenecks, and enjoy the views. I usually do this with one of my kids, and they keep me going as 42 miles is a lot of miles to them and they want to finish.
Old 05-09-12, 01:47 PM
noise boy

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 300 Posts
Originally Posted by DGlenday
Yep - that was us.
Bummer.
Old 05-09-12, 07:07 PM
knucklesandwich

Bikes: Kona Jake (2006)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thenomad
what keeps a bunch of people from pirating?
32,000 Freds would suffice to keep me away.
Old 05-11-12, 06:01 PM
ticktockpedal

Bikes: Tarmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
Registered riders have to wear an event bib and must attach numbered
stickers on their helmet, bike and bib. There are security personnel stationed
around the course to kick out riders without the proper bib/stickers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdA_r...hannel&list=UL
nice video. nice use of the coldplay cover.
Old 05-11-12, 06:14 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ticktockpedal
nice video. nice use of the coldplay cover.
Thanks, I thought it was timely.....