Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New to disc brakes.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New to disc brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-19, 07:32 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
New to disc brakes.

My new bike has hydraulic disc brakes and they have a very slight drag. They have a spot that drags slightly and I wanted to know if, other than changing the rotor, I can do anything to adjust for it. I have loosened the caliper, applied the brake and retightened, pulled the pads and spring to be sure the spring is applying pressure but I think the rotor is the only way for me to have 100% freewheel. The rear wheel is not an issue just the front. I am an old rim brake guy so this is all new to me. Also, I am being very picky here as this is not a major rub just something I notice when the bike is on the stand and the wheel is moved very slowly.
Thanks in advance, Frank.
Old 01-19-19, 07:40 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
Disc brakes do have a slight drag all the time. The same is true in automobiles. Not sure when slight becomes to much. Roger
Old 01-19-19, 08:58 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4209 Post(s)
Liked 3,875 Times in 2,315 Posts
Disk pad rub is just like rim brake pad rub but less easy to deal with. Make sure the rim/disk is straight. Just like with rims some people are better at bending disks into best alignment. Disk calipers can be cocked WRT the disk. But most have some sort of caliper alignment ability, moving the caliper within the mounting bolts' slots as example (and some like Avids also have a ball and socket mounting washer system to allow radial alignment). Using the caliper mounting bolts and the slots they reside in also serves to best center the pads over the disk. But just like linear or canti rim brakes either pad's movement can be affected by grit or grime independent of the other pad's movement. because the pads move so much less then those of a rim brake these little things are of greater value, WRT pad rub. Removing the wheel and reinstalling can change the disk/pad spatial relationship. This is one reason why through axles with their greater ability to settle into the same position repeatedly are favored. Andy
Old 01-19-19, 10:25 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
New bike, this should be something that is resolved pre-delivery. From the sound of what you're saying, it's a slight warp int he rotor, not unusual, and you may find that a new one has similar issues, you can get rotor alignment tools from Park and others to bend them into alignment.

Bit confused about the 'spring' you mention, as there are no springs in Hydraulic or mechanical disc brakes systems, in Hydraulic, the pistons are controlled/pushed by hydraulic fluid (DOT 5.1 for Avid, mineral oil, Shimano, Magura and most others), for mechanical, the pistons are normally pushed in/manually adjusted by rotating using hex screws.
Old 01-19-19, 10:43 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning
Disc brakes do have a slight drag all the time. The same is true in automobiles. Not sure when slight becomes to much. Roger
A hydraulic or mechanical disc brake on a bicycle, when properly set up, has zero contact between the rotor and the brake pads unless the lever is pressed.

To the OP, you can just true the rotor. I give mine a needed tweak now and again with a crescent wrench. It's not difficult.
Old 01-19-19, 12:34 PM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Thank you all for the responses. It is a very miniscule rub so I believe I will leave it alone unless it gets worse. As far as the "spring" I mentioned, it is a double fork looking piece that has two legs that ride on the plates that the pads surface is bonded too. It is used, from what I can tell by it's position in the caliper, to help the pads retreat after application. The temp of the brake fluid is also low as it is cold here so that might be a contributing factor to the issue.
Thanks again for the information, Frank.
Old 01-19-19, 02:00 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Very basic ..loosen mounting bolts hold brake on while you retighten those bolts..
Old 01-19-19, 02:03 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
rotor rub

This morning at end of OC, MD boardwalk.

I have a 2006 bike with disc brakes, my first. I still have the original rotors and pads from when is was new. I have other bikes, so, it does not get a huge amount of miles every year. I usually have to take the bike off the work stand to insure the wheels are remounted in proper alignment. My front wheel brake does have a bit of a squeal when it is on the stand, especially if the wheel is turned either way and when it spins at low speed. I stopped worrying about that as long as it rides true. I have been riding this bike a lot for the past couple of months as I mounted racks, bags, lights, etc. to make it a commuter/errands bike. I am going to replace at least the pads, probably the rotors also, but I want to get through the winter months first.
Old 01-19-19, 02:15 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
Thank you all for the responses. It is a very miniscule rub so I believe I will leave it alone unless it gets worse. As far as the "spring" I mentioned, it is a double fork looking piece that has two legs that ride on the plates that the pads surface is bonded too. It is used, from what I can tell by it's position in the caliper, to help the pads retreat after application. The temp of the brake fluid is also low as it is cold here so that might be a contributing factor to the issue.
Thanks again for the information, Frank.
Is that really a spring or is that simply the mounting clip that secures the pad in its holder? If you can tolerate the minuscule (gotta love spell check) rub you will probably find that it goes away as the pads wear, or as they bed into place.
Old 01-19-19, 02:31 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Very basic ..loosen mounting bolts hold brake on while you retighten those bolts..
I had done this and it did make it much better. I made this post to see if there was something more I could do but I do not feel the rub is anywhere enough to have me try out my non-existent rotor skills.

Thank you, Frank.
Old 01-19-19, 02:33 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Is that really a spring or is that simply the mounting clip that secures the pad in its holder? If you can tolerate the minuscule (gotta love spell check) rub you will probably find that it goes away as the pads wear, or as they bed into place.
Thank you for this. I was thinking along these lines but being new to discs I thought I would ask.
Thanks you, Frank.
Old 01-19-19, 02:35 PM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by delbiker1

This morning at end of OC, MD boardwalk.

I have a 2006 bike with disc brakes, my first. I still have the original rotors and pads from when is was new. I have other bikes, so, it does not get a huge amount of miles every year. I usually have to take the bike off the work stand to insure the wheels are remounted in proper alignment. My front wheel brake does have a bit of a squeal when it is on the stand, especially if the wheel is turned either way and when it spins at low speed. I stopped worrying about that as long as it rides true. I have been riding this bike a lot for the past couple of months as I mounted racks, bags, lights, etc. to make it a commuter/errands bike. I am going to replace at least the pads, probably the rotors also, but I want to get through the winter months first.
Nice looking rig and thanks for the response.
Frank.
Old 01-19-19, 08:10 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
I had done this and it did make it much better. I made this post to see if there was something more I could do but I do not feel the rub is anywhere enough to have me try out my non-existent rotor skills.

Thank you, Frank.
If you want to try and get rid of that slight rub you might try rotating the wheel to the middle of the area where the rotor rubs before doing the loosen/brake/tighten routine. Or the rotor may need a tweak with an adjustable wrench as advised above.
Old 01-19-19, 08:56 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Before you try bending the rotor, make sure the wheel is seated in the dropouts properly, and make sure the caliper is PERFECTLY aligned. I do this by taking the pads out, and looking to see gaps between the caliper and the rotor on both sides. If the caliper itself scrapes the rotor, it is badly out of alignment. Don't squeeze the brake levers while the pads are removed. Also, sometimes you have to reset the pads by prying them apart slightly, if no amount of manual alignment works.

Properly adjusted, they should be dead silent and not rubbing anywhere.
Old 01-20-19, 07:35 AM
Helderberg

Originally Posted by wgscott
Before you try bending the rotor, make sure the wheel is seated in the dropouts properly, and make sure the caliper is PERFECTLY aligned. I do this by taking the pads out, and looking to see gaps between the caliper and the rotor on both sides. If the caliper itself scrapes the rotor, it is badly out of alignment. Don't squeeze the brake levers while the pads are removed. Also, sometimes you have to reset the pads by prying them apart slightly, if no amount of manual alignment works.

Properly adjusted, they should be dead silent and not rubbing anywhere.
Thank you. I will try this and see what I find.
Frank.
Old 01-21-19, 09:45 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
You might also find a tiny allen head set screw on the caliper that when loosened allows you to use a larger allen wrench in the side that when screwed in or out moves the pad on the inner side (wheel side) in and out of the caliper housing for fine tuning. Mine was set too far out from the factory and the rotor rubbed it slightly until I adjusted it properly and then did the hold the brake lever thingy.
Old 01-21-19, 10:21 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Ride it.

It will go away.

-Tim-
Old 01-30-19, 01:12 PM
Helderberg

Final report. I put a few more miles on the bike and then readjusted the caliper with it hanging on the spot it was rubbing and then rode it some more. It is perfect now so all is good.
Thanks again for all the good information, Frank.
Old 01-30-19, 01:41 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Make sure your thru axles are torqued correctly. Then check to see if there is a perceptible wobble with the disc using a light in relation to your pads. Next do the loosening of your caliper trick where you loosen it, spin the wheel then apply the brakes while tightening the caliper back up. If it still rubs on one side you may need to clean the pistons because one may be actuating more than it should or the other is just sticking. Park tool has a good video on cleaning and "working" the pistons to get them to actuate properly again. After cleaning the pistons and "working" them to ensure proper actuation, press the pistons in on both sides all the way, remount the wheel, torque the axle properly, spin the wheel and apply the brake. If that doesn't fix it you either need to straighten or replace your rotor because it's bent, or there is something going on with your wheel.

Edit: disregard since you appeared to have it fixed.
Old 01-30-19, 02:43 PM
Carverbiker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
All good advice here and you have seemed to solve the problem, however I will also add that when tightening down the bolts on the caliper to do so slowly and in an alternating pattern front to back. If you tighten one of the bolts all the way, the last bit of torque can sometimes pull the caliper with it just a touch to throw off the alignment. Also sometimes paint on the mounting post will make an uneven surface and torquing the bolt on the caliper will cause it to move slightly or tilt slightly be a bit causing it to rub.

If if problem is severe enough you can have the post faced at the LBS and or flatten the back of the caliper to remove any surface irregularities, even flat things are not always flat.