Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

3T Bike interview with Gerard Vroomen 2017

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-19, 08:00 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts

Whether you like the frameset or not. This interview by Gerard Vroomen is an example of how an engineer explains the bike, and not a sales person.

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/22...ture-road-bike
Old 02-05-19, 08:26 PM
Carverbiker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Old interview, you do know about Team Aqua Blue, they could not wait to get off the 1x bikes. I own his Open UP frame and have it built as a 1x currently, great off road but the big jumps in the cassette make it less than ideal on the road.
Old 02-05-19, 08:52 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
at 4:40 you see the scratch on the fork from the very tight tire clearance. One tire size deviation away from an oldschool tire brake.
Old 02-06-19, 08:53 AM
Garfield Cat

Originally Posted by Carverbiker
Old interview, you do know about Team Aqua Blue, they could not wait to get off the 1x bikes. I own his Open UP frame and have it built as a 1x currently, great off road but the big jumps in the cassette make it less than ideal on the road.
Does that mean he suggests that adjustments will be made to address that?
Old 02-06-19, 09:18 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2483 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Does that mean he suggests that adjustments will be made to address that?
The only logical adjustment to address the problem of large jumps between cassette sprockets would be to use a smaller cassette and two chainrings.
Old 02-06-19, 10:31 AM
Carverbiker

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
The only logical adjustment to address the problem of large jumps between cassette sprockets would be to use a smaller cassette and two chainrings.
Bingo! Exactly what I was going to say!
Old 02-07-19, 07:31 AM
Garfield Cat

In that video, Gerard in minutes: 2:30 to 2:46 talks about the development going on in the gear industry and how he cannot disclose anymore about his own development in this area. He continues to assert that the future is the 1 by front on road bikes.

Let's see what the industry is working on on those first 5 steps.
Old 02-07-19, 02:33 PM
Carverbiker

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I wonder if he was referring to the new Sram AXS 12 spd Etap system that was introduced yesterday? However, it was unveiled as a 2x system for the road.
Old 02-07-19, 09:45 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
He said they were making a cassette where all the big jumps were between the bigger cogs ... probably because in competition, where every bit of efficiency counts ... two-tooth-gapped lower cogs were losing races. But is efficiency not as important, if not more important, while climbing?

One-by might have a future where he suggested it would---in the $1000 "First Real Bike" market. I don't know anyone who couldn't figure out derailleurs, but maybe a 1x set-up will help (marginally) to convince people who are borderline about buying a bike ... maybe the test-ride will be more fun because there is less to mess up. How many of those folks are shopping for $1000 bikes, though?

Except for top-end competitors, the tiny aero gains aren't excuse enough, IMO ... and for the people whose paychecks (or simply whose preferences) might depend on tiny increments of speed, the aero gain might be offset by the inefficient gearing.

Sounds to me like another engineer who came up with another "perfect system," which in his mind is "The Answer," but in real life is the wrong answer.

In no way trying to ridicule the man or his machine ... but i don't think his vision for a better tomorrow is as "better" as he thinks.

That interview was from August, 2017. I didn't see any 1x bikes at the Tour Down Under in January, 2019.

I wonder why more wasn't made of him saying discs were unnecessary? As I recall, he said rim brakes were adequate for the pro peloton.
Old 02-08-19, 07:24 AM
Garfield Cat

Cycling Weekly:

The third 3T bike using SRAM Red eTap AXS is a single ring variant of the Strada Team. The cassette is 10-33 while the chainset has a 46 tooth ring. There are the same 3T Discus C45 wheels and 3T finishing kit.Launching the new bikes, 3T’s Gerard Vroomen pointed out that the increase from 11 to 12 speeds was more important for single ring users than adding two more ratios to a double ring group. Increasing to 13 speeds would add even more versatility. The cross-compatibility of the new groupset with Eagle AXS MTB is another opportunity, says Vroomen.

Read more at https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/p...gd24pM7ojEM.99
Old 02-08-19, 08:27 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
You know how to solve this? Get Nuvinci's prices down on the internal hub drivetrains and get their weights way down. Then you could have infinite range in the rear instead of jumps. Those run on 1x usually on their e-bikes.

I have 1x on the Cyclocross/gravel bike. Simple, effective. But on road, it's a no.

A good example of needing the range is my road ride the other day. I'm trying to hold an RPM/gear/power for a hard tempo and SS ride. With 1 tooth in that range, I'm good. If it was two, I'd be screwed.

Remember, a tooth in the back is two in the front. People see the huge front ring on the TT bike and ask "you really can push that gear???". Uhm, yeah. An extra couple in the front is only like 1 tooth in the back.

That's a big misconception about bigger front rings.