Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New Wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-19, 07:28 AM
Greatestalltime

Bikes: Tcr advanced sl & Protos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 33 Posts
C40 vs C24 Dura Ace

I have some c24’s on my nice weather bike and think I love them. However, I only have the Ultegra wheels on my bad weather bike to compare to.

My question is should I upgrade to c-40 and use the c-24 on my 2nd bike.

What are some real world differences. I’ve read as many reviews as I could find. Are the c-40’s that much more aero? Are they worth the 400$ price difference.

The stiffer The better. My 6700 Ultegra s seem very flexy now after getting used to the c24.

I’d say my regular ride is rolling hills with some flats and a few short climbs.

Last edited by Greatestalltime; 02-07-19 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Wrong title please fix. Can’t get any responses.
Old 02-06-19, 05:33 PM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 206 Posts
Stop using Shimano wheels? no need to match your groupset, there are lots and lots of good choices
Old 02-07-19, 08:46 AM
Greatestalltime

Originally Posted by mgopack42
Stop using Shimano wheels? no need to match your groupset, there are lots and lots of good choices
What are some that are comparable, cost effective, and as reliable as the two mentioned.

The 6700 have been abused. Never serviced in over 50,000 miles and other than the non stiffness I’ve noticed recently roll great.

Thanks
Old 02-07-19, 10:47 AM
mgopack42 

Bikes: 2020 Argon 18 Krypton Pro, 1985 Masi 3V Volumetrica, 3Rensho Super Record Aero, 2022 Trek District 4.

Originally Posted by Greatestalltime

What are some that are comparable, cost effective, and as reliable as the two mentioned.

The 6700 have been abused. Never serviced in over 50,000 miles and other than the non stiffness I’ve noticed recently roll great.

Thanks
I am always tongue in cheek with relation to Shimano. I dont like their stuff. I have a nice pair of Campagnolo Bullet 50 wheels that i paid about $825 for new. i think the equivalent in non-Campy (i.e. Fulcrum) is the Red Wind. i like the carbon wheel with the aluminum brake track (not super light, but neither am I! And i have had a pair of Fulcrum wheels that were supre reliable. the only problem with Campy wheels ( and maybe other factory built wheels) is that in the unlikely event you break a spoke, replacements are proprietary and need to be sourced from the manufacturer. Campy has exceptional quality in the hubs and overall build, which is why i am so loyal, even if there is a price premium.
Old 02-07-19, 12:14 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yes, definitely Campagnolo. Perhaps a touch noisy, but they turned a steady-as-you-go cyclist into a slightly-faster-steady-as-you-go one. That, and losing a bit of weight.
Old 02-07-19, 01:40 PM
mgopack42 

I didn't know anything about shimano wheels, so i looked them up. as far as i can tell the C-40 dura ace wheel is less than 40mm deep, and a aluminum / carbon wheel. the online prices i saw with a quick glance was $1000 give or take. the wheels i have and recommend are 50 mm deep, carbon / aluminum, and high quality. they aren't one of the new fangled toroidal profiles, and may not be as wide inside width as some, but these are very good wheels for the average guy that wants good looks and high quality. the thing i like about Campy, is that they support their stuff for a lot longer than the other manufacturers. although i see that changing a bit these days. here is a pic of my bike with the Bullet 50 wheels. i peeled off the decals from the rear wheel, because the wife said "UGLY" but i wish i hadn't! but now you can see them either way Probikekit has them under $775, and an additional $35 off coupon code. no tax, free shipping, mine had no tariff. if you LOVE ceramic bearings the Bullet 50 Ultra is about $1100, still in the C40 range price wise.

I took this pic for the hot or not thread... evidently NOT!
Old 02-07-19, 01:50 PM
Greatestalltime

I am always tongue in cheek with relation to Shimano. I dont like their stuff. I have a nice pair of Campagnolo Bullet 50 wheels that i paid about $825 for new. i think the equivalent in non-Campy (i.e. Fulcrum) is the Red Wind. i like the carbon wheel with the aluminum brake track (not super light, but neither am I! And i have had a pair of Fulcrum wheels that were supre reliable. the only problem with Campy wheels ( and maybe other factory built wheels) is that in the unlikely event you break a spoke, replacements are proprietary and need to be sourced from the manufacturer. Campy has exceptional quality in the hubs and overall build, which is why i am so loyal, even if there is a price premium.
This will be frowned on then. I put Dura Ace group on my De Rosa Protos. I know, sacrilege. When building and after already acquiring a Set Of Shamals at a nice price, Campy switched to their twelve speed and I couldn’t find record eps. So I sold the Shamals at s loss and switched to Shimano. Mixing brands won’t go with my ocd.

My my dream of having Campy was not meant to be. I did keep the wheel bags though!
Old 02-07-19, 01:51 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
I have some c24’s on my nice weather bike and think I love them. However, I only have the Ultegra wheels on my bad weather bike to compare to.

My question is should I upgrade to c-40 and use the c-24 on my 2nd bike.

What are some real world differences. I’ve read as many reviews as I could find. Are the c-40’s that much more aero? Are they worth the 400$ price difference.

The stiffer The better. My 6700 Ultegra s seem very flexy now after getting used to the c24.

I’d say my regular ride is rolling hills with some flats and a few short climbs.
What is your budget, and what is your weight?

If you're in the $1,000 bracket you have tons of options--especially handbuilts.
Old 02-07-19, 02:23 PM
mgopack42 

This will be frowned on then. I put Dura Ace group on my De Rosa Protos. I know, sacrilege. When building and after already acquiring a Set Of Shamals at a nice price, Campy switched to their twelve speed and I couldn’t find record eps. So I sold the Shamals at s loss and switched to Shimano. Mixing brands won’t go with my ocd.

My my dream of having Campy was not meant to be. I did keep the wheel bags though!
I am the same way. all campy or all whatever else. the difference is i like mechanical groupsets... and my older frame wouldn't look right with all those EPS wires and junction boxes and what not hanging off. as far as i can see, electronic groupsets are a solution in search of a problem. If i ever upgrade to a Dogma, then maybe it will be 12 speed EPSand Bora 50's. until then: this bike is already too good for the motor i use it with!
Old 02-07-19, 04:29 PM
Greatestalltime

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
What is your budget, and what is your weight?

If you're in the $1,000 bracket you have tons of options--especially handbuilts.
Yes. Right around 1000-1200. I know many recommend getting handbuilt wheels. I’m pretty sure I’m set on either c-24 or c-40.

Tell me some of the benefits or why you’d say that handbuilts are a better option, please.

Eveeything I read tells me nothing but good about the Dura ace lineup and the c-24’s I own are excellent. Though, like I said, I only have the Ultegra and some factory Giant wheels to compare.
Old 02-07-19, 05:59 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Keep in mind that the C40's are are really C35's.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=143554&sid=f3fcb638452da8be8d8ed51a8601d6a2

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-c60-scam.html

Damage to the DA rim means a complete wheel replacement. I bent a C24 on a pot hole and tried to get the rim replaced. Every wheel guy I mentioned it to just shook his head.

They are light.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 02-07-19 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 08:04 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Nobody does rear hubs better than Shimano, IMO. And those laminated carbon/ally rims are the bomb - it's just a massive bummer they aren't available as spares, dammit.

I reckon you have to spend pretty hard to get better wheels than Shimano. Best bang for buck, leaving aside rim replacement. Shimano's support for spokes and cones is a bit patchy, but their wheels mostly accept standard spokes, and you can avoid the need for cones by making sure the hubs are adjusted right, and servicing them every few years or so.
Old 02-08-19, 03:14 AM
Greatestalltime

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Keep in mind that the C40's are are really C35's.

https://weightweenies.starbike.com/f...8ed51a8601d6a2

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...-c60-scam.html

Damage to the DA rim means a complete wheel replacement. I bent a C24 on a pot hole and tried to get the rim replaced. Every wheel guy I mentioned it to just shook his head.

They are light.

-Tim-
Thank you. I was reading reviews, I guess, about the tubular version which are wider and 37mm.

I guess I’ll get the c24 unless the Ultegra rs 700 is essentially the same except with a slightly lessser hub.

If so maybe those. Thanks a lot though for the heads up on no change to the c-40 clincher
Old 02-08-19, 03:15 AM
Greatestalltime

Originally Posted by Kimmo
Nobody does rear hubs better than Shimano, IMO. And those laminated carbon/ally rims are the bomb - it's just a massive bummer they aren't available as spares, dammit.

I reckon you have to spend pretty hard to get better wheels than Shimano. Best bang for buck, leaving aside rim replacement. Shimano's support for spokes and cones is a bit patchy, but their wheels mostly accept standard spokes, and you can avoid the need for cones by making sure the hubs are adjusted right, and servicing them every few years or so.

Any thought on the RS 700 Ultegra vs the c24? Maybe I should just save the 200$ and make my wife like me.
Old 02-08-19, 10:49 AM
Carverbiker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I own c24’s and love them! Also own c50’s and really love those wheels as well. I should say both are the 7900 version but still going strong. Also own Zipp 303, 404, 808 also very nice wheels.

My thoughts:

Shimano (Dura Ace) wheels are generally regarded for having great hubs, bomb proof, stiff, and less aerodynamic than average same category competitors. Aluminum brake tracks are better than carbon, in my opinion, especially when wet.

Upgrading to c40 is really a rebadged c35 and that really does not help significantly from an aero perspective and may hurt if the ride becomes stiffer, a c50 will for sure.

For a bad weather bike, c24’s are too nice IMHO. I really enjoy the quick spin up and the responsiveness of the 24’s but for foul weather I am not pushing hard just trying to remain upright.

I would not view the c40’s as a significant upgrade from your c24’s.
Old 02-08-19, 11:08 AM
mgopack42 

MICRO RANT:

Not to be critical of the OP, but it seems like he asked for opinions, and has decided to ignore them all unless they align with what he was already thinking... to me, this is a "why bother" I guess we all want our thoughts validated to some extent. some more than others it seems.
it has been established here (if i am not letting my biases intrude, and i understand properly) that the Shimano wheels are not repairable, have some other possible issues with not being as updated as claimed. I mentioned Campy Bullet 50 wheels which are fully supported by the manufacturer, and have replacement parts in case of a catastrophe, and are high quality, AND cheaper to boot. this opinion was dismissed with "I want Shimano". no problem, my feelings aren't hurt, just why bother?
END RANT
Old 02-08-19, 11:23 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
MICRO RANT:

Not to be critical of the OP, but it seems like he asked for opinions, and has decided to ignore them all unless they align with what he was already thinking... to me, this is a "why bother" I guess we all want our thoughts validated to some extent. some more than others it seems.
it has been established here (if i am not letting my biases intrude, and i understand properly) that the Shimano wheels are not repairable, have some other possible issues with not being as updated as claimed. I mentioned Campy Bullet 50 wheels which are fully supported by the manufacturer, and have replacement parts in case of a catastrophe, and are high quality, AND cheaper to boot. this opinion was dismissed with "I want Shimano". no problem, my feelings aren't hurt, just why bother?
END RANT
I don't take BF seriously at all. No one should.
Old 02-08-19, 12:14 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,407 Times in 901 Posts
MICRO RANT:

END RANT
Thank you for your efforts and posting some awesome information for the OP but if he doesnt' want them, it's his choice?
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 02-08-19, 12:27 PM
mgopack42 

Originally Posted by tagaproject6
I don't take BF seriously at all. No one should.
AMEN TAGAPROJECT6... I guess this is a sign that i am looking here way too much for my own good. I need to say "Back off Mark" to myself. thanks for the reminder!
Old 02-08-19, 01:56 PM
Greatestalltime

MICRO RANT:

END RANT
Sorry, after reading your post I did consider mixing Campy wheels with Dura Ace, despite my need to have things match or at least not contrast. I know this is silly, but it’s who I am at this point. I did look at the Bullets and I believe the 50 profile is too deep for the cross windy rides I often take. I also couldn’t find a weight.

Thanks for your response and I’m still considering them. I wish the 35 were the same price.
Old 02-08-19, 02:16 PM
mgopack42 

Sorry, after reading your post I did consider mixing Campy wheels with Dura Ace, despite my need to have things match or at least not contrast. I know this is silly, but it’s who I am at this point. I did look at the Bullets and I believe the 50 profile is too deep for the cross windy rides I often take. I also couldn’t find a weight.

Thanks for your response and I’m still considering them. I wish the 35 were the same price.
I think the claimed weight is about 1700 or 1800 grams. for me the weight wasn't really an issue. (i can lose the difference between a light wheels set and heavier one in one trip to the mens room! I was worried about the profile too. the only time i have any issue is with really strong quartering or cross winds and only then if i am going over 32 mph descending. then it is feather the brakes, and try to relax and let the bike do what it needs. if you want full carbon, the choices are wider. Fulcrum under $900, campy bora 35 for in the 1300 range.
What i think is important, is that wheels have never been part of a groupset. ad at the price point you are looking, dont limit yourself to one brand. get the best deal on the best wheels you can afford! good luck!
Old 02-08-19, 06:14 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts

Yes. Right around 1000-1200. I know many recommend getting handbuilt wheels. I’m pretty sure I’m set on either c-24 or c-40.

Tell me some of the benefits or why you’d say that handbuilts are a better option, please.

Eveeything I read tells me nothing but good about the Dura ace lineup and the c-24’s I own are excellent. Though, like I said, I only have the Ultegra and some factory Giant wheels to compare.
For that money you have the choice of the best alloy rims and best hubs around...that are MUSA (if important) and great warranties besides. You're also touching actual CF rim territory if that interests you. With handbuilts...generic replacements for spokes are easily and cheaply found. Hubs are pick-of-the-litter. Rims are reasonably priced and easily sourced.

For $1200 you can get King or White or i9 or Onyx or DTSwiss hubs with great warranties and support. Also rims like AL33 or R90SL or Belgium+. Could also get a set of White hubs laced to ProWheelbuilder house CF rims for $1300. Shoot my Light-Bicycle set are their CX46 CF rims laced to Onyx hubs and came in under $1200 shipped.

Shimano makes some nice hubs...OTOH in that price bracket everyone does--or should.