Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

ABUS bicycle helmet longevity

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-19, 12:33 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts

I have a ABUS HS-10-S-Force Peak that was made in 12.2009.

It says that it conforms to EN 1078.

I guess it's going on 10 years and hasn't had any serious falls. How long should it last?
Old 02-10-19, 12:58 PM
Carverbiker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
All the recommendations I have seen suggest replacing helmets about every three years. From what I understand, it is the UV rays from the sun which deteriorates the foam in the helmets. As such they may not protect you in the same manner a new helmet would.

Having said that, I have a few helmets that I wear that have surpassed that length of time that I use as light duty commuting and general purpose riding. I figure my chances of having a hard crash are much less than when aggressively MTBing.
Old 02-10-19, 01:21 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7

I guess it's going on 10 years and hasn't had any serious falls. How long should it last?
As long as it can be adjusted to fit, it should indefinitely provide the same level of risk reduction as when new. See the Helmet sticky thread for discussion about just what that level is believed to be by BF posters.

Helmet salesmen would like consumers to periodically replace the helmet and have raised all sorts of stories about undetectable "deterioration" of the materials in order to prompt such purchases; believe it if you need justification buy a new helmet.
Old 02-10-19, 02:17 PM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
Three years seems like great advice...for the helmet marketing team. Here's a good link where they suggest that older helmets are only inadequate insofar as the newer designs provide superior protection.
Old 02-12-19, 09:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Generally I would replace every 3-5 years. It is a safety item people I get we all love to be cheap and some of us love to be really cheap (rinse out your condoms they are good for at least 6 more go's) I know we love to believe that the replacement time is all marketing hype so we can save the few bucks on a new helmet but why always so cheap? Sure if it comes down to getting food and shelter vs. buying a new helmet then yeah food and shelter but if not replace your helmet sometimes. Unless you never sweat and never use the helmet in the sun or places that have UV rays and are in very mild temps, you probably want to replace with some regularity.

I know that helmet has your special funk and is growing some really cool mushrooms and is super vintage from the 80s but you don't have to Eroica everything!
Old 02-13-19, 08:58 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7

Barring the fitness of the straps, the plastic shell, and the glue that holds it together, it should last indefintely. Polystyrene has a lifespan of longer than your life.
Old 02-13-19, 09:19 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,040 Times in 1,430 Posts
A couple of posts mention UV rays deteriorating the foam inside the helmet. I'm wondering how the UV rays make their way inside the helmet. Sounds like creative marketing to me.

-Matt
Old 02-13-19, 04:02 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
You're likely to get responses from a few years, to use it till you crash. You'll likely even hear that the recommendations to replace the helmet is a conspiracy promoted by helmet manufactures to get more of your money.

It is a fact that the shock absorbing properties of the foam in the helmet change over time and that is why a manufacturer typically has a recommended replacement time. Does that mean a helmet offers no protection after x years? Of course not. Just that it doesn't offer the same level of protection. Can you know exactly how much protection is lost after x years? Not that I know of.

Personally I tend to follow the manufacturers recommendation, but everyone makes their own choice in regards to safety and risk. I was in a serious motorcycle crash about 6 years ago and fairly confident I would not be writing this if not for the full face helmet I was wearing so I'm a bit biased on the helmet subject.