Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Leakproof lunch container

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Leakproof lunch container

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-19, 11:18 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Don't heat your food in a plastic container. Leached plastic in our food might cause cancer. My cow-orkers thought I was weird for having ceramic and pyrex dishes of my own at work, but I'm not going to eat out of plastic.
I won't serve my child food from microwaved plastic, but I'll cheat for myself sometimes.
I did recommend earlier dumping contents from leak proof container into dishes. I carry liquid and semi solid food in a Nalgene in backpack.
Old 02-20-19, 11:22 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7351 Post(s)
Liked 2,479 Times in 1,439 Posts
@RubeRad:

Gluten is not bad for most people.

MSG is not bad for you at all.

We don't know for sure about plastic but it seems like a bad risk. I like breaking rules, but when you've had cancer in your family, it makes sense to be cautious, even if it may not be necessary.

I eat food that some consider spoiled, with no ill effects, so you know I'm not a vociferant rule follower.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-20-19, 11:49 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts
@RubeRad:

Gluten is not bad for most people.

MSG is not bad for you at all.

We don't know for sure about plastic but it seems like a bad risk. I like breaking rules, but when you've had cancer in your family, it makes sense to be cautious, even if it may not be necessary.

I eat food that some consider spoiled, with no ill effects, so you know I'm not a vociferant rule follower.
So we have a lot in common (we knew that already), but have made different judgments about whether microwave plastic cancer risk is an urban myth or an open question. Here's Harvard with some more information about what it takes to get FDA approval for a "microwave safe" label.
Old 02-20-19, 12:02 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I just make sure my plastic is BPA-free and then I don't worry.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/collectio...-food-storage/

I'll probably die from the copious number of pints that I drink rather than a tinge a BPA that's in my container.

I'm willing to take that risk.
Old 02-20-19, 12:44 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Thanks, @RubeRad.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 02-20-19, 03:49 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by acidfast7
I just make sure my plastic is BPA-free and then I don't worry.

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/collectio...-food-storage/

I'll probably die from the copious number of pints that I drink rather than a tinge a BPA that's in my container.

I'm willing to take that risk.
I like to drink my IPAs out of BPA -- gives it that extra, je ne se quois, Tang?

The tingle is how you know it's working!
Old 02-20-19, 06:06 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I'm planning to find out whether my hereditary heart problems kill me before coronary artery disease, personally. It's what's inside the container...

Actual conversation with my wife:
"Has this yogurt gone bad?"
"Yes, that is how it became yogurt."
"Can you smell it?"
"No."
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 02-20-19, 07:38 PM
jetta_mike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I freeze all my work meals. The two major benefits are no need for ice packs and nothing ever leaks.
Old 02-20-19, 09:14 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 329 Posts
The aforementioned pyrex glass dishes with snapware lids work best for me. These are the ones sold at costco in the US. Although they are also available in plastic dishes, I prefer glass for the several reasons.
  • As others have already mentioned, microwaving in glass is much safer than plastic. I like to use higher levels of heat for some foods.
  • Eating with a fork causes thousands of tiny little nicks and scratches in plastic which end up harboring bacteria if not properly sanitized-- glass is the obvious choice.
  • The lids have never leaked for me, except when I failed to properly inspect and clean the rubber seal inside the lid to ensure it remains free of debris/food particles prior to closing.
  • Over time, plastic tends to retain a faint stench from previous contents. I can only imagine the tiny nicks and scratches over time greatly exacerbating this.
For extra insurance, I try to keep food in my handlebar bag so things remain relatively upright and always use an extra plastic bag as backup. Worst-case, my old cannondale bar bag can be easily dismantled and thrown in the washer.
Old 02-21-19, 03:23 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
@RubeRad:

We don't know for sure about plastic but it seems like a bad risk. I like breaking rules, but when you've had cancer in your family, it makes sense to be cautious, even if it may not be necessary..
We know BPA is bad for you because it's been studied, but the chemicals that have replaced it haven't been studied to that extent and the public is being used as test cases for the long term effects now.
Old 02-22-19, 02:54 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by no motor?
We know BPA is bad for you because it's been studied, but the chemicals that have replaced it haven't been studied to that extent and the public is being used as test cases for the long term effects now.
This reinforces my decision not to heat food in plastic. I also avoid eating from it when it's reasonably convenient to do so.

Old 02-24-19, 12:21 AM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Collapsible silicone containers, microwavable, space-saving, such as this.
Old 02-25-19, 10:12 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
I still remember the day in elementary school when somebody apparently knocked my lunchbox off the shelf and put it back. When I opened my thermos bottle, it was broken and my soup had glass shards all mixed in. I was devastated.

So microwaving plastics might leach some kind of chemical that might (or might not) cause cancer, in some number of decades, into my food? I'll be happy to eat glass-free food and take the risk that it might give me cancer before something else kills me. At my age, that seems like a safe bet.
Old 02-25-19, 10:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
hmmm. middle school, while sharing a table w friends, I inadvertently reached over a classmate's tray to get something. he accused me of a sleeve touching his food & insisted I get him a new tray of food. I laughed it off, but then wound up w his tray of food on my lap. had to spend the rest of the day wearing a spare shirt my best friend loaned me, but it was two sizes too small & looked ridiculous. I did not intend to disrespect that other guy but he felt slighted. as juveniles, we were just immature enough not to know how to handle the situation. but I distinctly remember one of our teachers remarking that I reminded him of Clint Eastwood, w/ steely resolve. did I even know what that meant? if he had not said that would I have gotten another tray? anyway, I think that other kid eventually got expelled for other stuff. but after that, I was certainly more careful about reaching over or around anyone else. if it happened today, I would have no problem getting a new tray of food. good luck to kids in schools, nowadays ...
Old 02-25-19, 12:15 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
To each their own. I've brought my lunch to work for years, and rarely will warm it.
Old 02-25-19, 01:19 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by panzerwagon
As others have already mentioned, microwaving in glass is much safer than plastic. I like to use higher levels of heat for some foods.
  • Eating with a fork causes thousands of tiny little nicks and scratches in plastic which end up harboring bacteria if not properly sanitized-- glass is the obvious choice.
I'm a microbiologist and would like to know your evidence for this?
Old 02-25-19, 01:24 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Basically, I find glass dirty to make, transport and recycle. I don't see any advantage to glass/wood over plastic especially in home usage (in durable goods).

Old 02-25-19, 01:53 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

I'm a microbiologist and would like to know your evidence for this?
Two pieces of info here:
  1. Eating out of plastic causes thousands of nick and scratches. Source: I have eaten out of many plastic containers over my lifetime. Whilst I haven't actually counted the number of scratches, there appear to be many many of them, and they tend to grow more numerous with time.
  2. Scratches in reusable containers tend to encourage formation of biofilms. Source: Multiple sources can be found online, but here's one that implies that conclusion: https://www.ccsenet.org/journal/index.php/jfr/article/view/43221
I do share your distaste for glass production and use due to environmental concerns. I'm glad to report that I've never broken a single pyrex container despite numerous small drops and bumps in my pannier bags. Thus, I'm hoping there is no further environmental impact from me :-D
Having said that, I've probably jinxed myself and something will happen on my ride home today :-(

Last edited by panzerwagon; 02-25-19 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-25-19, 02:04 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Two pieces of info here:
  1. Eating out of plastic causes thousands of nick and scratches. Source: I have eaten out of many plastic containers over my lifetime. Whilst I haven't actually counted the number of scratches, there appear to be many many of them, and they tend to grow more numerous with time.
  2. Scratches in reusable containers tend to encourage formation of biofilms. Source: Multiple sources can be found online, but here's one that implies that conclusion: Assessment of Salmonella spp. Attachment to Reusable Plastic Containers Based on Scanning Electron Microscopy and BAX® PCR | Clayborn | Journal of Food Research | CCSE
I do share your distaste for glass production and use due to environmental concerns. I'm glad to report that I've never broken a single pyrex container despite numerous small drops and bumps in my pannier bags. Thus, I'm hoping there is no further environmental impact from me :-D
Having said that, I've probably jinxed myself and something will happen on my ride home today :-(
Thanks for the citation.

But, every time your transport that Pyrex/Ceran container that weighs more there's an impact, at least as significant as biofilms. My GI tract is loaded as is any surface that is in contact with the environment.

I think we think that same way, but I feel that exposing people to microbes is a very good thing and that people should eb continuously exposed. Thus, I consider enhanced biofilm growth as irrelevant especially compared to any bike surface which is much more coated.
Old 02-25-19, 02:05 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Even the dining implement will be coated? So, what's the big deal?
Old 02-25-19, 02:35 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Basically, I find glass dirty to make, transport and recycle. I don't see any advantage to glass/wood over plastic especially in home usage (in durable goods).
Your graph is analyzing beverage bottles, which get destroyed and remanufactured for every retail sale, but for the purposes of this discussion, we're talking about storage containers which might see from just a couple uses (new-style reusable/disposable 'GladWare'-style retail packaging) to many decades (Tupperware or Pyrex). I have to think that the longevity of glass is an environmental/sustainability advantage here.

Also in your graph, what does that largest component 'Packaging' mean? Running industrial machinery to automatically sanitize, fill, seal, label and pack for shipping? None of that applies for home leftover use, except water and energy involved in hand- or machine-washing, and use of detergent.
Old 02-25-19, 02:38 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Even the dining implement will be coated? So, what's the big deal?
I'm one of those old kooks in my office who keeps a complete placement of stainless cutlery at work because he refuses to eat with plastic like the other peasants :-D
Old 02-25-19, 02:44 PM
acidfast7
Banned

I'm one of those old kooks in my office who keeps a complete placement of stainless cutlery at work because he refuses to eat with plastic like the other peasants :-D
Yeah. Stainless will be biofilm coated as there's no way that a standard dishwasher and soap removes a biofilm from stainless. Also, does anyone eat with plastic? Our workplace provide stainless cutlery and ceramic plates for all.
​​​​​​
Silver or gold would be more microbe-resistant, which probably helped a long time ago.

I just submitted a paper about silver nanowires against MRSA this week.

​​​
Old 02-25-19, 04:41 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts

The frequent fate of lunch containers in my home. In this case it was serving as the countertop butter dish. I’ll let you know in a few years if the dog gets clogged coronaies

Old 02-25-19, 05:54 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

My work provides plastic 'cutlery', but I'm one of those cheap kooks that keeps a couple complete placements of stainless cutlery at work because he refuses to throw away single-use plastic like the other consumeristic drones.

FWIW (not much, I'm sure) I am more annoyed by upstream inefficiency (materials, energy, labor, transport, money) than downstream (landfills). Maybe nowadays typical plastic forks and spoons are biodegradable, I don't know. But why waste so much effort in the meantime?

I also keep a 6" ceramic chef's knife (like $10 from harbor freight) and flexible (nearly disposable) plastic cutting board at work. Comes in handy all the time. And I've developed a napkin-free methodology for slicing and eating mangoes at my desk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.