Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Zertz inserts

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-19, 07:52 AM
villiano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zertz inserts

yHi all, my first post. I have a 2009 specialized tricross carbon bike. Nice bike. It has the zertz inserts in the seat stays. Does anyone know if those rubber silicone thingys can be serviced or replaced? I'm concerned that as they get old, they lose their elasticity. Any information on those things appreciated.
Old 11-19-19, 08:30 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by villiano
yHi all, my first post. I have a 2009 specialized tricross carbon bike. Nice bike. It has the zertz inserts in the seat stays. Does anyone know if those rubber silicone thingys can be serviced or replaced? I'm concerned that as they get old, they lose their elasticity. Any information on those things appreciated.
I wouldn't mess with it, not sure they do anything with regards to dampening to be honest. I'd just keep the bike clean in general.
Old 11-19-19, 08:48 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
The general consensus is that Zertz did minimal road dampening, even by Specialized dealers. As far as losing elasticity, the Zertz are a very firm elastomer that should last as long as the frame. So, like the above poster said, just keep the bike clean and ride.
Old 11-19-19, 09:05 AM
villiano

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you know if they were ever sold as a separate part? I contacted Specialized and they didn't tell me much. Just that they don't have them anymore. Can they be removed from the frame? I assume during the manufacturing process, they were inserted in the seat stays after the frame was built. But maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the seat stays were molded around them. Is there any risk of riding without them? Thanks much.

Last edited by villiano; 11-19-19 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-19-19, 09:10 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
I would not ride without them as I imagine they provide some form of structural integrity to the stays.
Old 11-19-19, 09:17 AM
Sapperc

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4 Comp, Trek 930, Nishiki International

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Zertz inserts do have a design effect on frame dampening. Some are replaceable some are not. Problem is availability. Even Specialized has left zertz behind with their newer frames. How effective zertz are really depends on how and where you ride and total rider/bike weight. Elastomer does harden with age and weather, so it’s possible under the wrong conditions that they will have little to no dampening effect. A dealer is unlikely to be of much help. Best idea is probably to contact Specialized directly with your concerns. Be prepared for a possible marketing runaround as you try to find real assistance. Good luck!
Old 11-19-19, 09:19 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
As far as I can tell, the seatpost Zertz just slips in, and can be pushed out.

I don't know about other Zertz.

However, I'm not sure replacement parts are available. You can ask Specialized. I have seen them yellow with age.
Old 11-19-19, 01:19 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
As a former Specialized dealer at the time the Zertz were in voque, they were not available as replacement parts. Cannot imagine they are available now. You can remove them and ride without and find that there is little to no difference in vibrations being transmitted through the frame.

According to a Specialized designer back in the day, Zertz are not a structural component.
Old 11-19-19, 04:47 PM
mrt2you

Bikes: trek 720 multitrack hybred, 92 trek 2300, 2010 specialized roubaix, 2014 specialized roubaix

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
on my 2015 specialized roubaix expert with a sl4 frame. the zertz are held in by screws on the frame. you can remove then pretty easily.
Old 11-19-19, 09:32 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,996 Times in 2,667 Posts
I don't know that you will find any replacement inserts, I have not seem them offered that I can tell. Then again I don't really get much call for them even as a Specialized dealer. However I like most other folks didn't find Zertz to be anything of use. Maybe it did something but it would probably be tough to quantify. You can see the newer Specialized stuff has moved away from the Zertz so likely it was a marketing thing which they didn't really need.

What ol' Mikey needs to do is give a bigger budget to Erik Nohlin and co. let them design some awesome steel and maybe ti bikes (and other adventure/all road whatever in crabons) and let the Swiss division rock the e-bikes and fire whoever came up with the Alibi (I know rock hard solid tires aren't a new thing they are quite ancient and were handily replaced by that new fangled Dunlop invention called pneumatic tubes and tires) Also find a legal department that knows when to hold 'em, when to fold 'em, when to walk away and when to hide.