Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Sinclair A-bike electric suspension seatpost?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-20, 11:44 AM
hkckoo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello, I managed to find a new Sinclair A-bike Electric still for sale in Europe, bought it right away and found several inconvenient features that I didnt realize were there prior to the sale. I guess no one mentioned them in what little i could find from reviews about the bike. I would like to fix them, rather than return the bike, because I really like it for short commutes and the fact that it is so compact is really useful sometimes, but I am struggling as to how.
1. seatpost type/size is rather uncommon, 24mm, I wanted to buy some proper linkage suspension seatpost for the bike, as you can really feel every little vibration and hole on the bike and my back hurts while riding, but I didnt find any seatposts that would fit the frame. Are there really no suspension seatposts 24mm out there? I scoured even aliexpress, but no luck so far. You can really feel all sorts of discomforts riding the bike. I suspects the full rubber wheels are one of the factors that contribute to the vibrations while riding, no air in those.
2. those nuts/metal parts sticking out from pedals and other parts of the frame are horrible.. the manufacturer really never managed to solve the issue during those 10+ years when the bike was produced? im baffled. i found this to be an issue after a minute long ride. my main issue is the pedals, no matter how careful I am, I still manage to hit my feet sometime, my ankles are scuffled bloody and sore. are there any sorts of covers for these? found cover for M5 nuts, but these are round on the outside, diameter is 8mm
3. the seat itself is rather uncomfortable for any ride longer than 15-20 minutes, did anyone manage to find a good replacement?

money isnt an issue. i realize some suspension costs 200-300euro, which is half the price of the whole bike and that seats can get expensive too, but my health and comfort while riding is more important to me. thank you very much for any help, I am new here, I usually manage to solve most of my problems with googling, but I am struggling right here, I guess no one really talks about these bikes online, I guess not many people really own one.
Best regards.
Robert.
Old 07-29-20, 05:54 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I looked for a 24mm suspension seat post on EBay and there are none so that leads me to believe it does not exist. The only bikes I remember with that size are some old French bikes. Roger

Last edited by rhenning; 08-01-20 at 07:09 AM.
Old 07-31-20, 12:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My AlAn bike in the 80'a had a 25,0 seat post because the standard 28.6 OD tubing was thick wall for strength,
1.8mm to calculate it now,,

for a 24mm seat tube ID , consider reaming it out to say 25.4 mm / 1"..
Old 07-31-20, 12:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Or just get a Brooks saddle with springs..
Old 07-31-20, 12:27 PM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
i would choose to use a shim to put a smaller diameter seatpost