Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gazelle - Champion Mondial - Tandem, Documentation

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-18, 12:33 PM
TimMK

Bikes: Roadbikes: Gazelle Champion Mondial (1982), Gazelle Tour de l'Avenir (1977), Pinarello Gallileo (2009); Tandems: Gazelle Champion Mondial (1982), Gitane Mont d'Auvergne (1973), Trek T1000 (2002)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

This forum has been really helpfull to me so far, so as a thank you, I want to document the renovation of my Gazelle "Champion Mondial" tandem. If this is not the right place for it, please let me know and I'll stop.

I bought the bike around Easter 2018 since I was looking for a vintage race bike which I wanted to ride with my wife. The former owner had bought it to ride a big cycle event in the Netherlands with his daughter, but he told me, that she was to small for it. Little did I know, but after a few emails back and forth he told me, that he was 80.

The bike has a frame hight of 60 cm at the front and a very unusual 58 cm at the back. I already know that it will be to small for me. I'm 1,92 m and usually ride bikes with 66 cm frame height, but I gave up on finding a suitable old tandem. People just were smaller back then. My wife is 1,66 m, but she has long legs (I know, I'm lucky) and will manage. We've been riding tandems since 2004, but this will be our first real racer.

The tubing is "Reynolds 531 Tandem" and our bike is from 1982 which is the first year these Tandems were built. It has been through a few hands who did not really care about keeping things in an original state. Restoring it as far as practicable will be my mission. The original components were from Galli which is new for me, but I was very lucky to find a complete Galli group from the same time.

This is what the bike looked like when we bought it:

I've completely taken it apart during the last days and startet disassembling, cleaning, polishing and re-assembling the parts. Today, I gave the frame and fork a bit of TLC. Washed it with water, cleaned greasy stains with Petroleum, degreased it, polished the paint and put some primer on the scratches were the bare metal showed. The next step will be finding a paint fitting the color tone, but my hopes are high. Gazelle called it "Beryl Green" which seems to be a common color for cars during that time.

Front drop out from Campagnolo:

Aft drop out from Campagnolo:

Excenter holding the fron bottom bracket:

Unfortunately, I was not able to unscrew the two bolts clamping the front bottom bracket. It seems to be a 5,5 mm Allen key, which I don't have...yet, but it seems like they exist.

So far, I've gone through the following parts:

Stoker Brake lever from Weinmann:

This is not an original seat post and until now, I'm not 100% sure about which diameter I should use. "Reynolds 531 Tandem" tubes seem to have a smaller inner diameter than the usual Champion Mondial 531 tubes (27.2 mm).
Old 06-17-18, 12:34 PM
TimMK

Bikes: Roadbikes: Gazelle Champion Mondial (1982), Gazelle Tour de l'Avenir (1977), Pinarello Gallileo (2009); Tandems: Gazelle Champion Mondial (1982), Gitane Mont d'Auvergne (1973), Trek T1000 (2002)

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Galli front derailer. It was a fun puzzle, but believe me, I documented every step disassembling it.

Everything back in place:

The Galli rear derailer uses rivets, so I could not disassemble it as far:

And put back together again:

I got a set of original Galli gear levers with my component group, but I had these Campagnolos from another Champion Mondial and I think they are more fance, so I will take these:

Galli front crank. I really like the looks of them, but I'm afraid that it will be very hard to find fitting replacements for the chain ring.

Galli aft crank, right side (44 and 52 for extra strong legs...):

Galli aft crank, left side:
Old 06-17-18, 12:34 PM
TimMK

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Aft bottom bracket, not original I guess, but it will work for now:

Front bottom bracket, possibly original?

Not the original stem, but since I'm usually riding bikes with 6 cm higher frames, I wanted to take care for my back and will use this one:

I had this mount for an air pump left and since I like it, I guess I will use it:

Don't forget the bell when you are riding fast!

I will post updates when available!

Regards,
Tim
Old 06-17-18, 02:21 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,611 Times in 1,765 Posts
Thanks, Tim! Enjoying the report and looking forward to the result.

Old 06-17-18, 06:07 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Yer frame's got a mixtie arse and a trapezium middle. Though knowing how puddled dutch bike brands usually are I suppose you're lucky not to have rubber bottom bracket cups and bolted on seatstays an all. Does my head in.

Bet those handlebars can carry loads of shopping.
Old 06-18-18, 02:36 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Still an awesome bike @TimMK

Looking forward to seeing more pics of it.

Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
Yer frame's got a mixtie arse and a trapezium middle. Though knowing how puddled dutch bike brands usually are I suppose you're lucky not to have rubber bottom bracket cups and bolted on seatstays an all. Does my head in.
Bet those handlebars can carry loads of shopping.

What are you talking about? The Champion Mondial is a racing tandem with lightweight tubing.

This bike was probably changed to a more upright bike in its later years as the owners got older.
Old 06-18-18, 03:00 AM
TimMK

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
@Cute Boy Horse: I hope you are wrong, after all, it's a Champion Mondial. My "single person" CM has a truely awesome frame which is increadibly stiff, so this keeps my hopes up.

However, I really do wonder, how it will ride. The frame is really light weight (4,5 kg) and the tubes are very delicate and thin. The frame of our Gitane Mont d'Auvergne (1973) weighs twice as much and has a lot of these "outer" diagonal tubes. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 06-18-18, 03:23 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
Nice! Hope to see where you will get the colour, I _think_ my tour de l'avenir has the same, greenish, colour.

And yes, I will follow this build-up.
Old 06-18-18, 03:28 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1980s DeRosa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA SBDU Team Pro

Mentioned: 207 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 654 Posts
@TimMK "Unfortunately, I was not able to unscrew the two bolts clamping the front bottom bracket. It seems to be a 5,5 mm Allen key, which I don't have...yet, but it seems like they exist."

Never seen a 5.5mm hex key. Since it's a Haden British made BB shell and eccentric it's probably an inch standard 7/32" hex key (5.6mm).

Nice find. Dutch bikes don't get much respect here in the realm of Italianate worshipers but top end Gazelle bikes were very well made.

I have 2 NOS Gazelle frames, a 1973 Champion Mondial "A" model and a 1994 Champion Mondial "AB". Going to sell the 1973 and build up the 1994.

I had neighbors in the late 1970's who were retired classical musicians. They worked and taught in Paris for about 20 years where they got to know Rene Herse. He built them a very special tandem using the last set of oversized lugs and Reynolds 531 tandem tubing that he had. The man was blind so he was the stoker. It was ~50cm in the front and ~62cm in the rear - all chrome plated.

verktyg

Chas. ;-)

Old 06-18-18, 04:29 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
That seems like a lot of work to disassemble even the derailleurs. Still, that seems like a nice bike worth the trouble. I wouldn't worry about originality for things like that Shimano BB. I haven't been stopped by the C&V Originality Ploice since, oh, maybe July 2012. V's comment on the eccentric bolts is probably right on.

Keep us posted.
Old 06-18-18, 07:30 AM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JaccoW
Still an awesome bike @TimMK
What are you talking about? The Champion Mondial is a racing tandem with lightweight tubing.
I know what A Champion Mondial is. I also know that the frame looks absurd, they've reinforced the rear triangle with an extra set of stays in the style of a mixtie, while forgetting to do any triangulation in the middle at all. I also remarked that dutch bikes are typically made even worse - i described two notorious features of them.

Does that help you out, or shall we get the cast of sesamstraat in to sing a song about it?

It's likely a very good bike, but the design is strange and ugly.
Old 06-18-18, 07:53 AM
TimMK

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I also know that the frame looks absurd [...] I also remarked that dutch bikes are typically made even worse [...] but the design is strange and ugly.
I guess, I'm lucky that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? I find the bike extremely delicate and elegant.
Old 06-18-18, 08:02 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Does that help you out, or shall we get the cast of sesamstraat in to sing a song about it?
I don't know what your problem is but I'm sure you have trouble pronouncing it. /offtopic

You are generalising Dutch bikes based on... I don't know what. There are plenty of high quality faster Dutch bikes but the majority are extremely sturdy bikes designed for daily use in all kinds of weather.

I just don't see how your comments are even remotely relevant to the bike OP posted here.
Old 06-18-18, 08:45 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by verktyg
@TimMK "Unfortunately, I was not able to unscrew the two bolts clamping the front bottom bracket. It seems to be a 5,5 mm Allen key, which I don't have...yet, but it seems like they exist."

Never seen a 5.5mm hex key.
??? My Craftsman set comprises: 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-20-18, 08:29 AM
TimMK

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
No progress regarding the color tone. I just got back from the color store, but "Beryl Green" did not get me any further. They had a color chart, but it was hard to decide, if the color matched the one of my frame. "Beryl Green" seems to have been a very common name. Among others, Chrisler, Mercedes and Saab used the name, but of course it does not mean, that their color tone will match the one of my frame. Maybe I'll just stick to covering the scratches with primer.
Old 06-27-18, 03:37 PM
TimMK

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I just learned, that the original front axis of the bottom bracket (Galli) would be ISO standard, while the new replacement aft axis (Shimano) would be JIS. Since all cranks are Galli, they would be ISO, so putting the aft cranks on the JIS axis could lead to breakage of the crank.

Any thoughts on that?
Old 06-27-18, 06:40 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by TimMK
I just learned, that the original front axis of the bottom bracket (Galli) would be ISO standard, while the new replacement aft axis (Shimano) would be JIS. Since all cranks are Galli, they would be ISO, so putting the aft cranks on the JIS axis could lead to breakage of the crank.

Any thoughts on that?
Not necessarily a problem. Check how well the crank arm fits over the taper. If it fits oh let's say two-thirds of the depth then you're probably okay. Also check whether it goes on too far and hits the inside edge of the taper where it flares out. If it does that it means the crank isn't seated properly. But if neither of these inside fit or outside fit seem like a problem then you may be okay.
Old 06-27-18, 09:20 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Sheldon has a discussion of mixing JIS and ISO. An ISO crank arm will sit slightly more outboard on the JIS spindle because of the width of the spindle, but the taper angles are the same. Breakage is unlikely but it is generally advised that you don’t do repeated switches between the two.
Ideally, to preserve your chainline, you would adjust your spindle length to compensate for the fact that the arm is sitting about 4mm further outboard.
Putting a JIS arm on an ISO spindle is the opposite situation, and where you have the risk of bottoming out on the spindle shoulder.
Old 06-28-18, 12:15 AM
TimMK

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by due ruote
Sheldon has a discussion of mixing JIS and ISO.
Thanks, found it: Square Taper Bottom Bracket Interchangeability

I'll check that out, but as far as it seems, sticking an ISO crank on a JIS axis is more the "safe" way to go. And at least I know what might be the problem, when I have problems with the chain line.
Old 07-05-18, 03:52 AM
TimMK

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
A bit of progress

I wasn't to productive with the tandem during the last few days, since I am still waiting for a package with spare parts. The 298 mm spokes seem to be out of stock but I found them at another distributor, so I'll be able to build the wheels soon.

However, in the mean time I may have found out, what causes the problem with the seat post diameter posted here. The bolt clamping it is built like this:

When fastened, the thicker parts of the shafts touch, so it's not able to clamp the frame sufficiently. So I guess the right diameter is 26.8 mm since the usual 27.2 is to thick and 27 mm isn't really common. Additionally, I wasn't really sure about this bracket holding the pully for the brake cable: It has a little slit for the sprocket (?) of the seat bolt, which usually locks into the slit in the eyelet of the frame. As far as I know, this slit points forward, but the slit in the sprocket points downward. I filed a second slit pointing forward, so everything is mounted in the correct way.

Otherwise, I've cleaned and assembled the following parts:

Mafac Racer brake operated by the stoker.

Original front brake from Galli which was already fitted to the bike:

The original headset was replaced by some no-name headset, but luckily I had a Galli headset which came with the other Galli parts I bought. It fits perfectly, but mounting it needed a few attempts, since the bearing surfaces are not very distinct. So when adding the greased balls, you are not sure they are positioned correctly, this comes when mounting the counterpart.

Aft Galli brake. Unfortunately, I broke the bolt of the original brake when trying to loosen the counter screw. Luckily I had two spare brakes (front and aft) which look a bit more sturdy than the old ones, so I think about replacing the original front brake aswell.

Aft stem, sweety isn't it.

Last edited by TimMK; 07-05-18 at 03:59 AM.
Old 08-13-18, 01:43 AM
TimMK

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Finally some progress (holidays...). In 1 month, we want to ride the big 160 km tour during a vintage event, so I have to finish the bike soon in order to train and gain some experience with it.

I'm currently building the wheels. I found some original Mavic Module 4 rims with 40 holes. The front wheel get's a Sansin hub (un-used) and the back an XT hub (used). At this moment, the front wheel is already finished, but I'm struggling a bit with the rear wheel, getting the spoke tension of both sides right, while keeping a centered rim...

Old 08-17-18, 05:27 AM
TimMK

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Sorry for being a bit lazy regarding the photos and documentation, but I did not have the patience to document every step, I just wanted to finish the bike.

And here it is:

Gazelle Champion Mondial Tandem
Color: Berylgreen
Gears: Galli (2x7)
Brakes: 2x Galli, 1x Weinmann
Weight: 17,5 kg

We tested the bike yesterday evening while it got dark, so we only drove around the block. It rides quite well, as always, changing gear is a bit of teamwork, but the frame is astonishingly stiff. When measuring the weight, my jaw dropped, as far as I remember, our Trek T1000 weighs more... I guess we'll have to be a bit thoughtfull when riding this delicate beauty.

Last edited by TimMK; 08-17-18 at 05:30 AM. Reason: forgot pictures
Old 08-17-18, 05:54 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@TimMK - Very nice! I find Tandems to be interesting with the frame design and components. None are really ugly until you get to the bottom of the bucket.

Like the dual calipers on the rear wheel!

I always disassemble FD's and RD's as far as the rivets, easier to clean/lubricate. I don't always assemble them correctly either. Helps to understand the design and operation as well. Great clean up!

Show us more of the generator mount on the fork.

Explain the cords on the pedal axles between both stocker and captain cranks.

There is a tandem forum but I don't think they appreciate C&V as much as here. I would encourage more Tandem participation.
Old 08-17-18, 05:59 AM
Brands

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Awesome!!
Old 08-17-18, 06:13 AM
TimMK

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
@TimMKExplain the cords on the pedal axles between both stocker and captain cranks.
That's an old tandem trick: They are rubber cords (got them in the sailing shop) and they hold up the aft pedal "baskets" (?). Otherwise, the aft baskets will hit the road when you ride the tandem allone. I will change their knot on the front pedals, so they will keep the pedal horizontal. Makes it easier to get the foot into the basket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.