Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Widest Rim Size 70's Jeunet

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-23, 10:01 PM
glmoore0001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I have a mid-70s Jeunet Bicycle. I believe it has inch or inch and 1/8 rims? The bike has been set up well and rides great but I'd like something a little better for the bad roads where I live. I am willing to throw a little bit of money on it to get the job done.
I do have a "Specialized" brand bicycle which is more tolerant to the local roads, but I want to be able to ride this bike.
What is the most durable (widest/tallest?) Rim/Tire combination possible on my old road bike?
Thank you... Gary

Last edited by glmoore0001; 11-02-23 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Trying to get my idea across
Old 11-03-23, 02:59 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Upload pictures of your bike - particularly of the fork and rear brake bridge, so others can have a look at the space between the tyres and the frame.
You won't be able to post them until you've made 10 text posts; but someone else can go to your gallery and re-post them in the meantime.
If it originally was built for 27" wheels, as long as you can get long brakes you can go with smaller wheels (700c/650b) and MUCH bigger tyres.
27" Kenda K184 are available in 1 3/8" width, likely tougher than whatever you've got now, pretty cheap on that auction site.
Old 11-03-23, 06:40 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Load images into an album here until you pass 10 posts and a bit of time.
Old 11-04-23, 08:02 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
My guess is that the Jeunet has 27 inch wheels and came fitted with 27 x 1 1/4 inch tires. The rims are likely steel and probably patterned (the pattern improves braking performance). Simply put, that is a pretty durable rim/tire set-up, however; the wheels are heavy (compared to those with alloy rims) and that will negatively impact ride quality. Others may disagree...

Or, if you like the mountain bike and the road bike, but seek more durability, you might do what I did to this old Rocky Mountain.

Before...

After...
I rode the bike, with the drop bars for a week, or so, then someone came up to me and asked if the bike was for sale. Bye bye Rocky.
Old 11-04-23, 02:03 PM
glmoore0001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Asap

Originally Posted by oneclick
Upload pictures of your bike - particularly of the fork and rear brake bridge, so others can have a look at the space between the tyres and the frame.
You won't be able to post them until you've made 10 text posts; but someone else can go to your gallery and re-post them in the meantime.
If it originally was built for 27" wheels, as long as you can get long brakes you can go with smaller wheels (700c/650b) and MUCH bigger tyres.
27" Kenda K184 are available in 1 3/8" width, likely tougher than whatever you've got now, pretty cheap on that auction site.
I bought a home 7 hrs away and the bike is there. As soon as make it back I will post photos and measurements. Thanks.. Gary

Last edited by glmoore0001; 11-04-23 at 02:07 PM. Reason: correcting grammar