Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you know chocolate is good for you?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you know chocolate is good for you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-23, 03:35 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 505 Posts
Like coffee, (ESPRESSO STRAIGHT) - to add anything is unacceptable.

100% Cacao Nibs period -- https://www.vitacost.com/now-foods-o...raw-cacao-nibs
Old 11-12-23, 04:19 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,868 Times in 3,013 Posts
Originally Posted by OldTryGuy
Like coffee, (ESPRESSO STRAIGHT) - to add anything is unacceptable.

100% Cacao Nibs period -- https://www.vitacost.com/now-foods-o...raw-cacao-nibs
I thought cappuccino was allowed before midday.
Old 11-14-23, 06:28 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Yeah, no. White chocolate is made from the fat extracted from cocoa beans but without some manufacturing steps. So it is chocolate.
It may be a chocolate product; but it sure doesn't taste like chocolate to me. I'll still eat it, but not even close to 'real' chocolate.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 11-14-23, 06:49 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
Many (many!) years ago I had a chocolate calendar. I wish I'd saved one month; it said something like, "Carob is a material which, when treated with the proper chemicals and treatments, some say tastes like chocolate. The same can be said of dirt."

I think the same of white "chocolate."
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 11-14-23, 09:35 PM
Alan K

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 333 Times in 259 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Chocolate is kinda like coffee. If you enjoy either more because the latest study indicates it's healthy to consume, better enjoy it this week. 'Cause another study is coming out next week with the opposite conclusion.
Yes, it all depends on who one pays to get the “study” done.

I been hearing for ages that drinking some wine is good for your heart.
This is incredibly deceptive statement pushed by the wine industry. What they never mention is that beneficial effects are all related to polyphenolic antioxidants found in the skin of dark grapes, which you can buy and eat as fresh fruits or drink fresh juice for far less and never get drunk.
Old 11-15-23, 06:44 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Alan K
Yes, it all depends on who one pays to get the “study” done.

I been hearing for ages that drinking some wine is good for your heart.
This is incredibly deceptive statement pushed by the wine industry. What they never mention is that beneficial effects are all related to polyphenolic antioxidants found in the skin of dark grapes, which you can buy and eat as fresh fruits or drink fresh juice for far less and never get drunk.
It’s more because you have been listening to the wrong sources of information. The scientists have been clear on this for years.
Old 11-15-23, 08:10 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Many (many!) years ago I had a chocolate calendar. I wish I'd saved one month; it said something like, "Carob is a material which, when treated with the proper chemicals and treatments, some say tastes like chocolate. The same can be said of dirt."
Money saving tip for those who like to treat their food with "proper chemicals" to make them taste like something else:
A baked potato (or anything else) with A-1 Sauce poured on top tastes just like a steak with A-1 Sauce poured on top.
Old 11-15-23, 09:07 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Money saving tip for those who like to treat their food with "proper chemicals" to make them taste like something else:
A baked potato (or anything else) with A-1 Sauce poured on top tastes just like a steak with A-1 Sauce poured on top.
I've pointed out to vegan friends that most steak sauces are, indeed, vegan.
Old 11-15-23, 03:21 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by PeteHski
It’s more because you have been listening to the wrong sources of information. The scientists have been clear on this for years.
I would suggest you explore a bit further into the sources of funding of such “science”.
Furthermore, do you see any fundamental issues with consuming many different fresh fruits and berries that provide all the same or equally effective antioxidants for a lot less money?

You may also wish to familiarize with science related to not so beneficial effects of alcohol even in quantities that fall below legal levels for driving.

Combining the two aspects, consuming fresh fruits, berries and vegetables gives a clear advantage but everyone to their own…
Old 11-15-23, 03:27 PM
Alan K

If nature evolved man (or woman with the entire current battery of pronouns) to be vegan, it wouldn’t have him (add the rest of the corresponding descriptors so as to not feel offended) canines.

Being a vegan is an interesting evolutionary anomaly; a century ago without the knowledge of chemical synthesis or isolation procedures, it would be lethal and therefore, a dead end.
Old 11-15-23, 03:37 PM
Alan K

Respectfully, disagree!

I have never quite understood the need to delude myself into believing something else that it is not, when it is delicious on its own when prepared well in any number of ways.

The more you try things like fake meat loaf and such, the more it means that you crave the the real taste of meat. Either go for the real thing or learn to enjoy plant products the way they are… and they are very tasty! 😉
Old 11-15-23, 03:56 PM
PeteHski

I would suggest you explore a bit further into the sources of funding of such “science”.
Furthermore, do you see any fundamental issues with consuming many different fresh fruits and berries that provide all the same or equally effective antioxidants for a lot less money?

You may also wish to familiarize with science related to not so beneficial effects of alcohol even in quantities that fall below legal levels for driving.

Combining the two aspects, consuming fresh fruits, berries and vegetables gives a clear advantage but everyone to their own…
I think you misunderstood my post. I was referring to dubious sources of info about wine being a health benefit. We appear to agree.
Old 11-15-23, 04:26 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2485 Post(s)
Liked 2,956 Times in 1,679 Posts
I think you misunderstood my post. I was referring to dubious sources of info about wine being a health benefit. We appear to agree.
Them's fightin' words around here.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-15-23, 06:05 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Respectfully, disagree!

I have never quite understood the need to delude myself into believing something else that it is not, when it is delicious on its own when prepared well in any number of ways.

The more you try things like fake meat loaf and such, the more it means that you crave the the real taste of meat. Either go for the real thing or learn to enjoy plant products the way they are… and they are very tasty! 😉
The point is fake meat loaf covered in A-1 Sauce, plant products covered in A-1 Sauce, and steak covered in A-1 Sauce all taste the same : like A-1 Sauce. Doubling down on the point is : why would anyone waste money on high priced meat and kill its taste with something like A-1 sauce. If the taste ofA-1 Sauce is what a person craves it would make more sense to pour it on something cheap like gruel or Wonder Bread.
Old 11-15-23, 06:57 PM
PeteHski

Wtf is A-1 sauce?
Old 11-15-23, 11:31 PM
Alan K

The point is fake meat loaf covered in A-1 Sauce, plant products covered in A-1 Sauce, and steak covered in A-1 Sauce all taste the same : like A-1 Sauce. Doubling down on the point is : why would anyone waste money on high priced meat and kill its taste with something like A-1 sauce. If the taste ofA-1 Sauce is what a person craves it would make more sense to pour it on something cheap like gruel or Wonder Bread.
I suppose you are correct in the context of those who use A-1 sauce with their steaks..
We do not destroy good meat by covering it up with this concoction. But I can see that if one gets used to eating steaks a specific way, he will continue to do so.
My brother-in-law is a good example of it. In a nice restaurant when the waitress served his filet mignon and he asked for ketchup, she was taken by surprise. But that’s how he likes his steaks. 🤪
Old 11-15-23, 11:46 PM
Alan K

Wtf is A-1 sauce?
It’s brownish goopy stuff with which some people like to cover their steaks.
I don’t know for sure if derived from normally edible items or some fancy chemistry is also involved.
[If I had a bottle of it, I would have given the list of ingredients - it may have interesting/amusing.]
Old 11-16-23, 12:08 AM
Alan K

Craving A-1 steak sauce aside, the nutritional value of meat and tofu are drastically different. So one can’t very well add A-1 to their veggie loaf and assume that they are going be fine in the long run. This is why vegans end up with certain deficiencies, such as Vitamin B12, which for most omnivores is abundantly present in their diets (meat and fish). If they pursue vegan life-style for about a year without using chemically synthesized (many of them are also philosophically against “better living through chemistry”) vitamins etc, signs of deficiencies become overtly visible.
Old 11-16-23, 12:26 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Craving A-1 steak sauce aside, the nutritional value of meat and tofu are drastically different. So one can’t very well add A-1 to their veggie loaf and assume that they are going be fine in the long run. This is why vegans end up with certain deficiencies, such as Vitamin B12, which for most omnivores is abundantly present in their diets (meat and fish). If they pursue vegan life-style for about a year without using chemically synthesized (many of them are also philosophically against “better living through chemistry”) vitamins etc, signs of deficiencies become overtly visible.
Personally, I manage the chore of taking a daily multivitamin. I figure it's a decent trade-off to the health risks of a meat-based diet (cardiovascular disease, colorectal cancer, type 2 diabetes).

Old 11-16-23, 02:11 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Wtf is A-1 sauce?

A condiment product that originated in the U.K almost 200 years ago and still sold there; who knew, eh? A-1 Sauce
I heard that Google or Duck Duck Go is available there too
Old 11-16-23, 08:28 PM
Alan K

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Personally, I manage the chore of taking a daily multivitamin. I figure it's a decent trade-off to the health risks of a meat-based diet (cardiovascular disease, colorectal cancer, type 2 diabetes).
I have more friends who are vegetarians than the ones like me, who ear everything.
In my opinion (observations of my fair few year, and my elders in my family, going back 2 more generations), the key, as you can well imagine, is moderation in everything.
As long as one eats a varied diet that includes most things seasonably available, and includes rich sources of proteins from animal sources (eggs, milk cheese, chicken, lamb, beef, fish and other sea food items), exercises regularly, one is very likely to do well. It is also, to a degree, a matter of balance of energy - if we eat more than our daily energy needs, we star growing side-ways.
I wouldn’t trivialize genetic propensities but practicing a healthy life-style can even mitigate or at least delay the inevitable.
How one achieves these goals, varies widely with health de jour gurus routinely skewing the age old sound wisdom… but gradually even those fads change.

I don’t know how many of you remember the U Minnesota pioneered food pyramid about 4+ decades ago, the FDA actively pushed it. Cholesterol became the public health enemy number one. All supermarkets became about cholesterol-free items, you could buy egg whites in a box minus the yolk and so on.

The most laughable advertisement I noticed during that era (late 70s) was on TV a company that sold corn oil (Mazola, still remember the name for their sheer gall in conning public) - they only made one additional claim compared to their other competitors: New and Improved, Now No Cholesterol!
Their oil bottles had the same claim in large letters. The first time, I saw that my immediate comment was that what kind of a moron will fall for it! Well, within a year (I think), Mazola’s market share increased by more than 20%!

I never completely stopped eating eggs or red meat. But I never ate huge quantities before this new found wisdom, nor do I that now. I knew enough to know that some of the things being pushed then, were frankly, rubbish!

The so-called science in MN study was, shall we say, less than sound but it seems, purposely. It took more than 2 decades to publicly and fully debunk that “study”. But the results for public health have been catastrophic. When you reduce or eliminate meat and fat from diet, you are left with only carbohydrates… and in comes the sugar revolution, followed by exploding obesity; no pun intended, it’s really sad when you see a 4-6 year old child who is almost as big around as tall.

Over the years, our educational system is systematically dumbed down - the masses become less able to critically analyze the issues they face; and on the other end of the spectrum, the governmental agencies typically entrusted with protection of our citizens and nation, seem to be becoming negligent, by design.
Old 11-16-23, 11:02 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2585 Post(s)
Liked 5,644 Times in 2,922 Posts
OMG! Not FDA, CDC, IRS or OSHA approved. When you drop dead, you will thank me.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 11-17-23, 10:24 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Simple solution for the simple minded seeking out "what is good for them" as recommended by a favorite or trendiest scientist, fitness guru or Internet/TV personality:
Every day for breakfast have a bowl full of the latest recommended vitamin pills or dietary supplements covered with A-1 Sauce. It will taste just like steak or fish and chips (covered in A-1 sauce.)
Old 11-17-23, 12:47 PM
Alan K

Simple solution for the simple minded seeking out "what is good for them" as recommended by a favorite or trendiest scientist, fitness guru or Internet/TV personality:
Every day for breakfast have a bowl full of the latest recommended vitamin pills or dietary supplements covered with A-1 Sauce. It will taste just like steak or fish and chips (covered in A-1 sauce.)
That is very funny 😁

I am sure you know that in US, we produce the most vitamin and mineral enriched pee compared to anywhere else in the world!
Likes For Alan K:
Old 11-17-23, 02:26 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
It's far safer and a lot healthier to eat meat than to take artificial supplements and eat fake foods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.