Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2009 CAAD 9 new group

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2009 CAAD 9 new group

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-10, 06:33 AM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2009 CAAD 9 new group

So my 2009 CAAD 9-6 came equiped with Tiagra and a triple. I'd like to replace it for the upcoming season with something that I can grow into and wont outgrow. Basically something I can keep on the bike as long as I keep the bike if I choose to.

Idont know what won''t fit. I assume Dura Ace, Red and Ultegra will all fit a CAAD9 frame. So will a BB30 fit? I really dont want a compact double, just a double. Is any one group more compatible with the CAAD 9 frame than another?

I guess I'd just like to know which will work with my frame, which won't. Then what will work best. Thankis in advance.

RD
Old 02-19-10, 06:59 AM
dantsai

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you're planning on upgrading everything, you can put whatever complete group you want.

BB30 won't work on your frame, though.
Old 02-19-10, 07:04 AM
v70cat

Bikes: S5 VWD & SL-7 S works Red.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Might make more sence to get a new bike,

A carbon 2010 with Ultegria might be the way to go.

That way the frame and components are at high level that you won't out grow.
Old 02-19-10, 07:18 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by v70cat

That might make sense for a lesser frame but no one here is going to out grow a CAAD frame, it's pro proven.

OP all new groupsets will fit your frame (not bb30).

Comes down to preference of functionality. I prefer Shimano but it's personal.

Your choices from major manufacturers are:

Sram - Rival, Force, Red
Shimano - 105, Ultegra, DA, Di2
Campagnolo - Athena, Chorus, Record, Super Record

On Shimano I would say Ultegra is the sweet spot between price and function. That's my opinion.

Not sure where that fits for the other manufacturers. None of those suck, it's good to have choices.
Old 02-19-10, 07:18 AM
MajorMantra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is BF - the CAAD9 is the alpha and the omega.
Old 02-19-10, 07:21 AM
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I vote for Rival.

Old 02-19-10, 08:27 AM
mathwheels

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9 5...duh!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
quick upgrade

not to be living in the past but I'm surprised with having just bought the bike in 2009 that you would need and upgrade this fast. I just purchased a 2010 Cadd9 5 that has, of course the 105 group set. The reason I say this is because i originally wanted to spent about $1000-$1200 but after looking at the longevity of components and performance level jump from tiagra/sora to 105 I quickly realized that for $200-300 more upfront I would not need an upgrade for many years and could get away with a few crit races on 105's.

I found that a much smaller investment up front saves you the much higher cost of post purchase
upgrades.

example going from cadd9 6 tiagra/sora package to cadd9 6 105 package was $250 upgrade at original purchase time saved me over $500-600 post purchase upgrades with parts and labor. wheel upgrade was a factor as well.

at this point i would you could put 105 if you are looking at shimano but would go right to ultegra for the jump in price from 105's. again pay now to save later.

good luck
Old 02-19-10, 08:40 AM
AngryScientist 
Lost

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 45 Posts
reading the internet can be dangerous to your wallet.

just so you know, tiagra is a perfectly functional group, and it makes less than no sense to upgrade until something wears out. even the triple is fine.

the internet community here is quick to discount less expensive and less popular equipment, but there is certainly nothing wrong with Tiagra or a triple aside from a small weight penalty.

what makes you think you want a standard double? is it because you dont do any hill work or is it because Pcad says he rides a standard double?
Old 02-19-10, 08:43 AM
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Please. No one on this forum could "out grow" a Caad9 frame. They may want something different & that is fine.
Old 02-19-10, 08:45 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
is there an echo on this thread?
Old 02-19-10, 09:29 AM
v70cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.cannondale.com/usa/usaeng...D-Six13-Team-2
Old 02-19-10, 09:51 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Given what you're replacing, you may be better off just selling the bicycle you have and getting another one with the parts you want.

Depending on where you buy the parts and what parts you buy, a new groupset is going to cost almost as much as, if not more than, a new bike - You're going to have to replace almost everything: shifters, derailleurs, cassette, chain, crankset, bar tape. Yes, you can find deals on the internet, but if you can't install them yourself, you'll be paying a shop a lot to do it.

That said, Sram Rival is a good value option. And Colorado Cyclist is having a big sale on Ultegra 6700 right now.
Old 02-19-10, 09:54 AM
bismillah

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Upgrade the whole bike with a 2010 caad9-4
Old 02-19-10, 09:59 AM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
"That might make sense for a lesser frame but no one here is going to out grow a CAAD frame, it's pro proven."

Of course, the "pros" all moved on to different and better frames long ago.

If you bought a 2009 bike and are now replacing almost the entire groupset, you bought the wrong bike. It might be cheaper to sell the bike and buy what you really want. Better yet, just enjoy what you have and don't worry about the miniscule difference in shifting that Ultegra would give you.

I have one bike with an Ultegra double and one bike with a Tiagra triple and the difference wouldn't be worth much in dollar value to me.
Old 02-19-10, 10:04 AM
thegunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ljrichar
I vote for Rival.

hey it's my bike! except i vote for force or red
Old 02-19-10, 10:18 AM
Big_Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Why do you want to upgrade? Is there something that does not function as you want it to or is this just a need to have shiny new bits on your bike? If it is the later, you might at well jump to the Ultegra/Force level so you won't need to post again next year. I agree that what you have all the way through the top of the line are functionally adequate for most of us. Moving from a triple to standard double might also leave you wishing you hadn't changed anything if you have hills in your area.

I guess I would put some more miles on it then make this choice a year or two or three down the road.
Old 02-19-10, 11:54 AM
intence

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rival. Probably the best weight/price/performance deal out there right now. You could upgrade to a CAAD9-4, but I think swapping the components out to Rival will be more cost effective if you can do it yourself. The CAAD9-4 still comes with Shimano RS-10 wheels and Tektro brakes.

You could sell all your current stuff on eBay/Craigslist if it's in good condition and use it for your "Rival" fund

It used to be that shifters were quite cheap on eBay, but Performance has had them for $257 or so every now and then. Oddly Amazon has the brakes + Rear Derailleur at pretty decent prices from a reputable seller. No you just need some cranks, or you can use any 10 speed Shimano setup as well (even a compatible double front derailleur should work).
Old 02-19-10, 12:28 PM
liquefied

Bikes: 1989 Team Miyata, 1989 Miyata 1400, 1989 Miyata 1400, 1986 Miyata 610, 2007 Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2009 Tiagra is very similar to the current 105 (5600). I would make the upgrade slowly. Start with a new crankset if you really want a double. Everything else you have will work with the new crankset.
Old 02-19-10, 01:27 PM
v70cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by liquefied
2009 Tiagra is very similar to the current 105 (5600). I would make the upgrade slowly. Start with a new crankset if you really want a double. Everything else you have will work with the new crankset.
Come on nothing wrong with Tiagra, no reason to replace the current system.
Ride it for another year or two and then get a new bike with Ultegra.
Old 02-19-10, 01:47 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2009 CAAD9-5 and plan to ride it until it explodes... which will take forever because only the seatpost is carbon-wrapped... I plan to upgrade the rider first. Thinking maybe the rider's girlfriend is a good upgrade area to look into also...
Old 02-19-10, 01:55 PM
v70cat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by milkbaby
I have a 2009 CAAD9-5 and plan to ride it until it explodes... which will take forever because only the seatpost is carbon-wrapped... I plan to upgrade the rider first. Thinking maybe the rider's girlfriend is a good upgrade area to look into also...
Nothing was wrong with my old bike or this one. My new one is better, but the engine is getting older and older.

Last edited by v70cat; 02-19-10 at 01:59 PM.
Old 02-19-10, 02:03 PM
rangerdavid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys. Yeah, I didn't think that the BB30 wouldn't work. Thanks for confirming that. When I got this CAAD9, I got the Tiagra with the triple because I was very new to the sport and very out of shape. Now, after loosing 35 pounds, and even over the winter, still riding an hour or two each day (lots of trainer time too), I'd like to upgrade the entire group.

Probably nothing like Di2 or top of the line stuff, but high mid range to low high end. That would be what I could keep on the bike forever. Eventually, if and when I'm ready and can justify the purchase monitarily and physically, I'll get a really high end bike with top of the line components like many of you have.
Old 02-19-10, 02:03 PM
benajah
One legged rider

Bikes: Kuota Kharma, Surly LHT, CAAD9, Bianchi fg/ss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

CAAD9 is as good as any but the very best carbon frames. Some others on here suggested Ultegra and I have to agree....if you plan to race it. If not, 105 will save you about 300 and work nearly as well.
I have Ultegra on my year old CAAD9 frame and it is a fantastic crit bike and great for road too, although the geometry is a bit tight and agressive for really long rides like centuries. Al frames can be a little rough but really only a sensitive rider will notice it.
In my opinion a CAAD9 with Ultegra and good wheels is about as good as it gets unless you want to go shelling out 3 or 4 grand for a super high end bike.
Old 02-19-10, 02:04 PM
rangerdavid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And thank Rollin, that's a pretty all encompassing list of what I can select from.
Old 02-19-10, 02:08 PM
benajah
One legged rider

Bikes: Kuota Kharma, Surly LHT, CAAD9, Bianchi fg/ss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrobe
"That might make sense for a lesser frame but no one here is going to out grow a CAAD frame, it's pro proven."

Of course, the "pros" all moved on to different and better frames long ago.

If you bought a 2009 bike and are now replacing almost the entire groupset, you bought the wrong bike. It might be cheaper to sell the bike and buy what you really want. Better yet, just enjoy what you have and don't worry about the miniscule difference in shifting that Ultegra would give you.

I have one bike with an Ultegra double and one bike with a Tiagra triple and the difference wouldn't be worth much in dollar value to me.
Not true. Continental tour teams with big name sponsors, maybe, but go to any domestic pro race and watch the criteriums...you will see plenty of pros on al frames, especially CAAD9s and Gary Fishers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.