Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

trek/cannondale bikes

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

trek/cannondale bikes

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 06:41 PM
bicyclebikes
bicyclebikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
trek/cannondale bikes

i have been looking at some of the trek bikes. Specifically the madone 4.5 and 5.1 which are carbon fiber bikes. I have also looked at the cannondale caad-9 4, which is aluminum, but has slightly better components for the price. Some people argue that cannondale is the way to go, while others say that trek is the best. Should i go with the trek or the cannondale for about $2000?
Old 03-22-10, 06:52 PM
hardlined

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm also having this dilemma, though I haven't been looking at that many treks. Mostly comparing the Caad9-4 to say a Synapse Carbon 5. Still can't decide which one I like. I took both for a quick test ride and they didn't feel much different. Synapse was more upright, but supposedly the aluminum frame is supposed to be a little harsh? Like I said short test ride, I couldn't tell.
Old 03-22-10, 06:53 PM
bicyclebikes
bicyclebikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've heard the same thing about the aluminum frames, but i am not sure. I would prefer a carbon fiber frame, but don't want to sacrifice the quality of the components for the frame if i still want to spend the same price
Old 03-22-10, 06:54 PM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You won't go wrong with any of them, shop compare, ride, study.. then buy the most expensive one.
Old 03-22-10, 06:55 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22600 Post(s)
Liked 8,927 Times in 4,160 Posts
BF consensus is CAAD 9.

I would ride one if I could fit a stock frame. Sadly, I am stuck with custom.
Old 03-22-10, 06:59 PM
jdeane4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look at the Cannondale Six Series. A Six Carbon 5 gets you 105 Components and a BB30 crank (lighter/stiffer). All that for around 2k. Carbon will dampen the road vibrations a bit better than Aluminum. I'm riding a Caad9 1 and its not as harsh as I expected. I have had a bad experience with Trek and will never buy one again after dealing with their company.
Old 03-22-10, 07:10 PM
jrobe

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts
I have never ridden the Madones but I used to own a CAAD-9 and now own a Cervelo R3 carbon bike, a Cervelo P2-SL aluminum time-trial bike and a Bianchi steel road bike. They are all nice frames and most people would be happy with any of them.

Some of the roads that I ride on though are fairly rough black-top country roads (older farm roads). The CAAD-9 and the P2-SL are at times pretty harsh in terms of transmitting road vibration. My carbon frame is considerably more comfortable and is always the one I grab for longer rides. In fact, my steel frame would almost always be my second choice for a long ride. I have no idea how the Madones compares.

For what it is worth, I have Ultegra, 105 and Tiagra components on my 3 bikes and there really isn't that much difference. I would prefer a high quality comfortable frame even if it came with a lower level of Shimano components.
Old 03-22-10, 07:35 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ya can't compare the Synapse to the CAAD or the Six series. different geometry, different rides. One aggressive, one relaxed.

likewise, I wouldn't compare Cannondale and Trek. Just sayin..............................
Old 03-22-10, 08:53 PM
knucklesandwich

Bikes: Kona Jake (2006)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hardlined
I'm also having this dilemma, though I haven't been looking at that many treks. Mostly comparing the Caad9-4 to say a Synapse Carbon 5. Still can't decide which one I like. I took both for a quick test ride and they didn't feel much different. Synapse was more upright, but supposedly the aluminum frame is supposed to be a little harsh? Like I said short test ride, I couldn't tell.
Take a longer test ride. If you're going to drop $1700+ for a bike, you're entitled to enough data to make an informed personal decision.
Then, once you've done that, test ride them both again with your own wheels and (if it floats your boat) 25c tires to see how much that might take any edge off the aluminum frame.