Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Hopping bunny not seen by drivers

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-10, 01:38 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...-glendale.html

Too much. Look at the picture-- it's obvious the driver wasn't paying much attention. There's a small army of cops on motorbikes just behind the bunny.

Of course, there are complaints about this "sting".

Enjoy.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 04-02-10, 03:25 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Now repeat as needed... and do the same for cycling... put an officer on a bike and have him/her take the lane... check for motorist reaction.

Make sure there is a big press write up afterward... so the public gets the message.
Old 04-02-10, 04:01 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
So, this is of course disturbing without the bunny costume being involved. In CA at least, all street corners have crosswalks. There are marked and unmarked crosswalks, or implicit and explicit ones. ( So says the driver's manual handed out at the DMV. ) Pedestrians always have the right of way. But that isn't really the case on the street; if you step out into a crosswalk ( marked or not ) blindly every day, you'll regret it before very long. And anything that makes it safer for people to walk in the walking zone, is a good thing.

On the other hand, the rabbit costume is a bit of a cheap prank. Whoever designed this sting didn't think "We'll dress our guy up as a mascot, and it'll stand out so much that non driver will possibly fail to notice." They knew people wouldn't notice, and that dressing up as a bunny would make headlines.

A similar experiment was done in Seattle, where a clown on a unicycle made circles around a sculpture in an outdoor park. Researchers stopped everyone who crossed the square, asking them whether they'd seen the clown. Only 25 % of people on cell phones noticed the clown. ( Just like those drivers who didn't notice the bunny, thanks to their evil cars? ) But then only 51 % of people walking by themselves saw the clown. Half the people walking by with nothing obvious to distract them, failed to notice a clown moving about a statue on a unicycle, which is as unusual to see as a seven foot rabbit walking across the street.

Human attention is a strange thing, and the brain seems to prioritize it in funny ways.

Now of course drivers don't have the right to hit people ( or rabbits ) with their cars, in or out of crosswalks. But dressing up like a giant little furry mammal doesn't really change anything. And it's kind of a tried-and-true stunt borrowed from psychology.
Old 04-02-10, 04:42 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like how the one councilman described it as "breathtakingly dangerous"... obviously because most drivers are awful and fail to yield to pedestrians! Too right, DUH!
Old 04-02-10, 04:48 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Yeah ... the council member is probably from a residential area where people are especially in love with their cars. "What right do they have to ticket drivers just because they broke some minor law?" I wonder exactly what the councilman meant by dangerous, though. Dangerous to the police to walk in a crosswalk? Everybody else has to.
Old 04-02-10, 05:16 PM
xray1978
Degenerate Grouch

Bikes: Kona Hahanna, Schwinn Speedster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Police furries? What is this, are we now allowed to live out our fetishes at work.
Old 04-02-10, 05:34 PM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. First off, put someone in a suit restricting their visibility and then have them walk out in front of a car? What would have been wrong with simply sitting at a crosswalk and ticketing drivers who did not yield for actual pedestrians?

And what does the last part of the story have to do with the rest of the article?

"Izekelian generally walks his dog every morning before opening his shop, Central Automotive and Electric. But his dog jumped in front of him one day at Central and Garfield and was hit.

“If I was a little bit ahead, I would have been hit,” he said.

After his dog was hit, he grabbed it, jumped in his car, tracked down the motorist and called police."

The guys dog jumped in front of a car and was hit. He didn't have control of it, he's lucky he didn't cause a more serious accident when the driver tried to avoid. And his statement about if he'd been a little bit ahead he'd have been hit was ridiculous, he would have looked before crossing, right? Right?
Old 04-02-10, 07:03 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Seems a little silly, using the bunny suit and all, but overall, it makes sense. It did prove the point, though -- too many drivers don't pay attention, thinking they're entitled to just go-go-go. (BTW, IMO, 2 is too many -- 1 can be chalked up to random freak chance.)

The outrage of the councilman is laughable; what he was REALLY saying was, "How dare these... these POLICE actually try to enforce traffic law instead of letting my constituents motor about as they damned well please?"
Old 04-02-10, 08:13 PM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RacerOne
This is one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. First off, put someone in a suit restricting their visibility and then have them walk out in front of a car? What would have been wrong with simply sitting at a crosswalk and ticketing drivers who did not yield for actual pedestrians?

And what does the last part of the story have to do with the rest of the article?

"Izekelian generally walks his dog every morning before opening his shop, Central Automotive and Electric. But his dog jumped in front of him one day at Central and Garfield and was hit.

“If I was a little bit ahead, I would have been hit,” he said.

After his dog was hit, he grabbed it, jumped in his car, tracked down the motorist and called police."

The guys dog jumped in front of a car and was hit. He didn't have control of it, he's lucky he didn't cause a more serious accident when the driver tried to avoid. And his statement about if he'd been a little bit ahead he'd have been hit was ridiculous, he would have looked before crossing, right? Right?
Quite possibly wrong. It could be he and the dog were in the crosswalk, crossing, and the driver refused to yield, hitting the dog. If the dog was on a leash, it could easily have surged, even six inches ahead of the ped might have been enough. You're making quite a few assumptions to exonerate the driver. The story isn't clear one way or another on this item.

What is clear is this is a dangerous stretch, with "five pedestrian involved collisions" already this year. And the drivers were given ample time to stop; the bunny didn't start crossing unless the cars were at least 164 feet from the intersection. It was planned quite carefully, although the bunny suit is a nice little seasonal publicity stunt.

The complaints of the city councilor remind me of a situation we had here in Virginia, where the General Assembly raised the fine for driving without a liscence to one thousand dollars. Motorists howled over this unfair infringement on their "rights", and the fine was quick rescinded.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!

Last edited by Poguemahone; 04-02-10 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-02-10, 10:44 PM
genec
genec

Somehow that bunny suit reminds me of a certain purple gorilla...

https://viscog.beckman.illinois.edu/flashmovie/15.php
Old 04-02-10, 10:51 PM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Poguemahone

The complaints of the city councilor remind me of a situation we had here in Virginia, where the General Assembly raised the fine for driving without a liscence to one thousand dollars. Motorists howled over this unfair infringement on their "rights", and the fine was quick rescinded.
Here locally, the fine for driving on a suspended license is having your car impounded for a mandatory 30 days at a 30 dollar a day storage rate. If you cannot pay the storage fee, your car will be auctioned off after a designated amount of time.

Last edited by dynodonn; 04-02-10 at 10:54 PM.
Old 04-02-10, 11:24 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by genec
Now repeat as needed... and do the same for cycling... put an officer on a bike and have him/her take the lane... check for motorist reaction.

Make sure there is a big press write up afterward... so the public gets the message.
Portland does lots of pedestrian stings, but, despite lots of promises, they have yet to mount a bicycle sting. I even went for a ride-a-long in a patrol car once about six years ago with a bicycle officer, pointing out places to do it, but it never happened. Quite simple really, get a plainclothes cop on a bike to take the lane somewhere it's obvious the lane is too narrow for sharing, and bust motorists who violate the cyclists ROW by passing to close, tailgating, honking or harassing the cyclist verbally, etc.
Old 04-03-10, 01:04 AM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by milkbaby
I like how the one councilman described it as "breathtakingly dangerous"... obviously because most drivers are awful and fail to yield to pedestrians! Too right, DUH!
Yeah, I was curious about that myself. Don't any and all sting operations involve some degree of risk?
Old 04-03-10, 06:25 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Digital_Cowboy
Yeah, I was curious about that myself. Don't any and all sting operations involve some degree of risk?
Sure, but in this case the irony is the councilman was acknowledging the problem while denying the "cure."
Old 04-03-10, 07:10 AM
SlimAgainSoon

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Good for the cops ... enforcement and education, with a sense of humor. Unusual combination.

Too bad about the council member all in a twit ... and if his streets are so F-ing dangerous, maybe he should do something about it.

And when politicians use phrases like "breathtakingly dangerous," well, they just like to hear themselves talk.
Old 04-03-10, 09:40 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think the cop in the bunny suit was being hazed.
Old 04-03-10, 09:59 AM
rob!

Bikes: 2015 Niner RLT9 / 2006 Felt F5C / 2012 Stumpjumper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is an "unmarked" crosswalk? The crosswalk lines are on the road but there is no sign pointing it out?
Old 04-03-10, 10:18 AM
closetbiker

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Somehow that bunny suit reminds me of a certain purple gorilla...

https://viscog.beckman.illinois.edu/flashmovie/15.php
Yup. Just about the same thing.

People just do not see what they are not expecting to see. That's why I don't get too caught up in the high visibility vest, multiple light thing.

Not only that, each time I've been hit, I've asked the driver/cyclist, "didn't you see me", to which they always have replied, "Yes."
Old 04-03-10, 11:57 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Maybe if a cyclist was in the crosswalk cutting out into cross traffic like the bunny there would be some relevance.

How does this test relate to a cyclist who is traveling with traffic in the main travel lanes where drivers are always looking? My experience (especially with high visibility gear) is very little.
Old 04-03-10, 12:01 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 942 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
Yup. Just about the same thing.

People just do not see what they are not expecting to see. That's why I don't get too caught up in the high visibility vest, multiple light thing.

Not only that, each time I've been hit, I've asked the driver/cyclist, "didn't you see me", to which they always have replied, "Yes."
So they don't see what they aren't expecting to see, yet they did? Please explain.
Old 04-03-10, 12:56 PM
randya

Bikes: who cares?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rob!
What is an "unmarked" crosswalk? The crosswalk lines are on the road but there is no sign pointing it out?
by law there is a cross walk at every intersection whether it is marked or not. if the intersections are very far apart, a cross walk is anywhere you want to cross. you state law will specify exact distances
Old 04-03-10, 01:02 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Bravo LAPD -- It's about time! As a 5 mi/day walker/jogger, I have to deal with right hooks at every intersection. At least on the bike I can merge leftward to reduce turn movement conflicts and to enhance my visibility. In San Diego we are finally seeing some signs saying, "Turning motorists must yield to pedestrians."
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-03-10, 02:03 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
On the other hand, the rabbit costume is a bit of a cheap prank. Whoever designed this sting didn't think "We'll dress our guy up as a mascot, and it'll stand out so much that non driver will possibly fail to notice." They knew people wouldn't notice, and that dressing up as a bunny would make headlines.
If the claim is they didn't see the big frakin pink bunny then they've just admitted to not paying attention while driving.

I think it's an absolutely brilliant ploy by law enforcement. We had a sting here a couple weeks back, couple of plainclothes offices stood on the sidewalk near a traffic light. They noted the vehicles with drivers talking on cellphones, not using seatbelts or proper child restraints, than radio'd the info ahead to a couple of units up the road. After awhile it looked like the Macy days parade.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 04-03-10, 02:22 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sure, but in this case the irony is the councilman was acknowledging the problem while denying the "cure."
Genec,

Granted an officer or anyone with a full face/head mask is cutting down on their field of vision, one can only presume that the custom wearing officer was in full radio contact with the other officers and that they wouldn't place him in too great of a risk.

Yep, I think that we all know that there is a problem with most of streets where motorists don't yield to the disabled, pedestrians, or bicycles. Falling back on the "everyone is in a hurry to get nowhere fast." Problem, if people would just slow down and take their time a lot of these problems would no longer be a problem.
Old 04-03-10, 02:29 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SlimAgainSoon
Good for the cops ... enforcement and education, with a sense of humor. Unusual combination.

Too bad about the council member all in a twit ... and if his streets are so F-ing dangerous, maybe he should do something about it.

And when politicians use phrases like "breathtakingly dangerous," well, they just like to hear themselves talk.
Yep, we need more education and/or enforcement with a little more degree of humor/entertainment. If for no other reason then to get people's attention.

When I was in NY taking care of my Grandmother we had a local gas station blow up. Everyone tried to blame the customer for using his cell phone while filling his car. To include unfortunately the fire chief and inspector. When several people wrote into the local paper pointing out that The Mythbuster's had already debunked that urban legend. Officials were at first quick to try and point out that they are entertainers not scientists. It took several more letters for them to realize that they are scientists and that they are using entertainment to get their message out.

Shh, that might upset is constituents who love their cars. And they might not vote for him come the next election.

Sadly, I think that that is true for a lot of them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.