Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Helmet Mounting a Tail Light

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-12, 08:06 AM
Trek_geek

Bikes: 2006 Trek 1000 SL, 1995 Performance 505 MTB, 2012 Trek 520 (my daily commuter)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just bought a new helmet that has the size adjustment knob in back. My old one was the type you lifted the latch up and slide apart which gave me room to clip my Planet Bike (PB) Blinky 7. Is there a screw or glue on mount for helmets that I can clip the light on?? I keep a PB Superflash mounted and flashing on my rear rack even during the day time. I add the helmet light when it's still dark out.
Old 04-26-12, 12:13 PM
ks1g
Because I thought I could

Bikes: November, Trek OCLV, Bianchi Castro Valley commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use zip ties through the clip on the back of the light.
Old 04-26-12, 01:00 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Feed a velcro strap through the rear vents and hook the light to it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-26-12, 01:20 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ks1g
I use zip ties through the clip on the back of the light.
Same here.. Works like a charm..

Old 04-27-12, 02:24 PM
telebianchi

Bikes: 2014/17 Trek Domane 5.2, 2003 Fuji Cross, 2019 Trek Fuel EX8 27.5 Plus, 2012 Raleigh XXIX single-speed, 2017 Access Gravel

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 12 Posts
I zip-tied a rack bracket to the back of my helmet. That way the light can go on and off as needed.
Old 04-27-12, 02:40 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by telebianchi
I zip-tied a rack bracket to the back of my helmet. That way the light can go on and off as needed.

Good method.. You can do the same with the zip tie method too. Just take the light off when you want to..
Old 04-27-12, 04:13 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6220 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
The velcro strap method is easier to put on and take off.

I use the same strap as you use for your headlight mount, cehowardGS
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 04-28-12, 12:44 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The velcro strap method is easier to put on and take off.

I use the same strap as you use for your headlight mount, cehowardGS
I am jumping on this..
Old 05-01-12, 09:15 AM
Trek_geek

Bikes: 2006 Trek 1000 SL, 1995 Performance 505 MTB, 2012 Trek 520 (my daily commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was looking through my bike tool box last night and found the Blinky 7 box. Inside was both the hard mount for the seat post and the Velcro bungee. I took the helmet and hardware to my basement shop and started trying different options. I didn't really like any of the temporary attachments as it didn't place the light in an optimal position to be seen. I tried to figure how I might hard mount (screw) the mount and decided on drilling a hole through the mount and then countersinking the hole so a Phillips head screw would sit flush inside the mount. I next whittled off a small knob on the back of the helmet to give me a flat surface to screw into. Using the SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) method I screwed the mount into the back of the helmet. It rapidly became apparent that if I screwed the mount in all the way the light would be angled up too far. So I fired up the hot glue gun and proceeded to glue the light mount to the helmet, using the screw as a temporary alignment post. I built up the glue a little at a time so it wouldn't run and also realize I needed to remove the screw because it would make it hard to get the light into and out of the mount.
I will post a photo of my not so handy work tonight, but the mount survived its first use this morning, in the rain.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo1.jpg (48.0 KB, 201 views)
photo2.jpg (51.2 KB, 189 views)
photo3.jpg (44.9 KB, 189 views)
photo4.jpg (41.0 KB, 184 views)

Last edited by Trek_geek; 05-01-12 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-01-12, 10:54 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just curious.

Has anyone thought about what adding the light to the helmet does to its' crashworthiness? Does adding the light mess with the helmet's ability to handle impact in that area?
Old 05-01-12, 12:15 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek_geek
I was looking through my bike tool box last night and found the Blinky 7 box. Inside was both the hard mount for the seat post and the Velcro bungee. I took the helmet and hardware to my basement shop and started trying different options. I didn't really like any of the temporary attachments as it didn't place the light in an optimal position to be seen. I tried to figure how I might hard mount (screw) the mount and decided on drilling a hole through the mount and then countersinking the hole so a Phillips head screw would sit flush inside the mount. I next whittled off a small knob on the back of the helmet to give me a flat surface to screw into. Using the SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) method I screwed the mount into the back of the helmet. It rapidly became apparent that if I screwed the mount in all the way the light would be angled up too far. So I fired up the hot glue gun and proceeded to glue the light mount to the helmet, using the screw as a temporary alignment post. I built up the glue a little at a time so it wouldn't run and also realize I needed to remove the screw because it would make it hard to get the light into and out of the mount.
I will post a photo of my not so handy work tonight, but the mount survived its first use this morning, in the rain.
Nice work, looks great and very functionalbe.
Old 05-01-12, 12:30 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by HawkOwl
Just curious.

Has anyone thought about what adding the light to the helmet does to its' crashworthiness? Does adding the light mess with the helmet's ability to handle impact in that area?
Well if that is the case, I am in the doghouse big time!!

This morning, I left the house at 5:25 am, pitch dark and raining. I had no less then THREE lights attached to my helmet!!!

Yup, 3 of them. I have a nice large head 18650 torch facing forward, a small 3x aaa torch facing rearward, and a SF blinky copy in the rear. All 3 on the helmet. That is 5 AAA batteries, along with a 18650 battery on the top of my head!! . Didn't noticed any weight, and I didn't crash to find out where or what would be going on with the lights in a crash either. However, I could see nicely. As I had two 18650 torches on high facing forward on the front of my bike. Also another SF copy blinky on the seatpost. I could feel cars coming up in back of me, as I was taking the full lane. When I hear that deaceleration of the cars, I smile. The is no doubt in my mind that these cars see me, and respect my space on the road, and don't infringe.
Old 05-01-12, 12:48 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Busch & Müller Topfire is 4 LED's and a battery , Quite a bit less bulky.
Part # B&MT
https://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m.asp
scroll to the last item..

Tucks right into the vent holes..

Last edited by fietsbob; 05-01-12 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-01-12, 08:06 PM
twoblacklabs

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Secteur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've mounted one to my helmet also using zip ties and superglue. While it's about as Fred as you can get, it really makes it EASY to see me on the road. When commuting in low light or dark, I tilt head from side to side and up and down when I know there's a car coming up behind me. That way it draws even more attention.
Old 05-02-12, 07:30 AM
ModeratedUser150120149

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just curious.

Originally Posted by cehowardGS
Well if that is the case, I am in the doghouse big time!!

This morning, I left the house at 5:25 am, pitch dark and raining. I had no less then THREE lights attached to my helmet!!!

Yup, 3 of them. I have a nice large head 18650 torch facing forward, a small 3x aaa torch facing rearward, and a SF blinky copy in the rear. All 3 on the helmet. That is 5 AAA batteries, along with a 18650 battery on the top of my head!! . Didn't noticed any weight, and I didn't crash to find out where or what would be going on with the lights in a crash either. However, I could see nicely. As I had two 18650 torches on high facing forward on the front of my bike. Also another SF copy blinky on the seatpost. I could feel cars coming up in back of me, as I was taking the full lane. When I hear that deaceleration of the cars, I smile. The is no doubt in my mind that these cars see me, and respect my space on the road, and don't infringe.

Lots of lights, bright clothing and reflective material are all good things as far as I'm concerned. Except for the guy last winter who was riding on the shoulder opposing traffic with red blinkies on the front of his helmet and white lights on his handlebar.

I wonder how much, if any, helmet protection a person gives up by putting things on the helmet. What kind of trade off we are making?
Old 05-02-12, 08:04 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I wonder how much, if any, helmet protection a person gives up by putting things on the helmet. What kind of trade off we are making?
Heck, it's more ablative material, it might ADD protection! Seriously though, I doubt it makes any significant difference. The helmet is already designed to hit concrete, possibly curb lips, car parts and possibly other protrusions. Hitting a plastic blinkie that's going to just crunch probably won't affect crashworthiness at all.

Also remember that helmets like the Bell Metro came with an actual blinkie attachment point, I assume that they got their certification with the blinkie in place, so apparently strapping blinkies on the outside doesn't affect it that much.
Old 05-02-12, 09:27 AM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I was banging this bike yesterday, in the rain, and riding it this morning too.

Big 18650 torch on my helmet facing forward. Small torch facing rearward on blinky, and blinky copy on rear of helmet and one on the seatpost. Also, two 18650 torches facing foward on high. Merging into traffic doing 50mph and have to take the full lane, the rear torch is doing its work.

Once I make my move into the traffic, the cars have to see me, because I cannot get up to 50mph no way under the sun. The cars have to slow down, period. How do I get them to slow down? The rear torch, two rear lights, hand signals and a little zig zag!! No, I am not brave, this route is the only way out of my development..

Old 05-03-12, 08:51 AM
Trek_geek

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cehowardGS
..... and blinky copy on rear of helmet and

Looking at your helmet rear blinking light, I would be concerned that these lights are designed to be viewed straight on or from the side (the way the LEDs are facing). I tried real hard to guess the position of my helmet and make sure the light is close to the position it would be, say mounted on my rack. I know I am off a few degrees on the right/left axis.

Last edited by Trek_geek; 05-03-12 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-03-12, 12:57 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Lots of lights, bright clothing and reflective material are all good things as far as I'm concerned. Except for the guy last winter who was riding on the shoulder opposing traffic with red blinkies on the front of his helmet and white lights on his handlebar.

IMO, riding in opposing traffic, is a no-no. With flashing/blinky lights, a super-no-no.

Don't think we are giving anything away in adding to the helmet. In fact, if you did crash, the things on your helmet will take some of the blow, at least I think that is the way it would be. However, extra lighting on the helmet goes a long way on helping a rider's safety. Corners are one, just like you say you wiggle your helmet, when I do the same and that bright torch facing forward puts a big bright print on the ground that is very noticable from all directions. I also do a little zig-zag too.
Old 05-03-12, 01:00 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Trek_geek
Looking at your helmet rear blinking light, I would be concerned that these lights are designed to be viewed straight on or from the side (the way the LEDs are facing). I tried real hard to guess the position of my helmet and make sure the light is close to the position it would be, say mounted on my rack. I know I am off a few degrees on the right/left axis.

You are right about that. That particular helmet I have not made holes in the back for a mount. I just connected it with velcro, and it is pointing upward. That is just temporary..I want it aiming straight backwards with the beam, not skyward like it is now. Temporary for sure.. ...
Old 05-03-12, 01:18 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
My night helmet:

https://s256.photobucket.com/albums/h...view=slideshow

Old 05-03-12, 06:43 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I like, I like!!

I like how low you got the torch on top too.. Going to work on cutting down the mount on mine to the torch closer. But, nothing like have a nice torch going where you look..
Old 05-06-12, 09:21 PM
cehowardGS
Motorcycle RoadRacer

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
10 Wheels, I am moving up the light chain!

I just got the JM05 Clone, cut down a two fish type mount, and slapped it on one of my helmets, and oh boy.
The JM05 clone is a 26650 light. Form factor is nice and short like I like it..

Old 09-22-12, 12:32 AM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I like the self-leveling of the PB Blinky 3H, but it's so damn dim compared to the PB Superflash. Anybody figured out a way of adapting a 3H's self-leveling mount to work with the Superflash?

PB Blinky 3H w/mount
Attached Images
3010.jpg (12.3 KB, 331 views)

Last edited by K'Tesh; 09-22-12 at 12:38 AM.
Old 09-25-12, 04:47 AM
smasha
Vegan on a bicycle

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 22 Posts
unless you're using a red-zone-4, i'd be suspicious about mounting lights on a helmet. most lights are VERY directional, and outside of the tiny hot-spot they quickly become invisible. that's assuming that it's not obstructed by backpacks, etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.