Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best cycling culture in America

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best cycling culture in America

Old 07-06-05, 03:35 PM
skinnyone
Dude wheres my guads?

Bikes: Not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Laggard
Boulder used to be the center of U.S. pro cycling.
Second that.. sunshine 300 days a year...climbs or flats are minutes away... Lots of buff/hardcore/outdoorsy people...Many many more people cycling and dedicated bike lanes in some highways.. Heck you consider yourself good? you can find somebody who will kick your a$$ ... Most of CO is great..
Old 07-06-05, 03:36 PM
skinnyone
Dude wheres my guads?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinky
New England
<plug> We even have a magazine for it (see my sig) </end plug>
NE sucks... ... seriously...
Old 07-06-05, 03:51 PM
sorebutt
Über member!

Bikes: 2004 Albert Eisentraut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveE
I'll put in a plug for the S.F. Bay area, especially the Peninsula ('cause I live near there!). Lot's of good climbs (Mt. Hamilton, Mt. Tamalpais, Mt. Diablo, the Santa Cruz Mtns.), riders (Freddy Rodriguez (Emeryville), Levi Leipheimer (Santa Rosa), bunch of Sierra Nevada riders (including Eric Wohlberg), Webcor, many Masters racers, good number of local races (including SFGP, Sea Otter Classic), clubs (racing and touring), velodrome (Hellyer Park), centuries and double centuries (Tierra Bella, Sequoia, Grizzly Peaks, Wine Country, Devil Mountain Double, Terrible Two, throw in the Davis rides, Santa Cruz Mtn. Challenge, Strawberry Fields, Cinderella (for the ladies), and on-going regular rides that have developed a life of their own (The Noon Ride, The Valley Ride, The Spectrum Ride, The Morning Ride).

AND, "share the road" drivers awareness, marked bike lanes everywhere, traffic light bike triggers, great LBSs, and even Dave Zabriskie moved here..
Old 07-06-05, 04:00 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Virginia. When I first rode out here with Twahl, I was shocked at how orderly and clean it was here. And with all the paths, bike lanes, riders, etc., plus the "Share the Road" signage, it's a pretty cool place to ride.

Koffee

Old 07-06-05, 06:57 PM
sestivers
Ono!

Bikes: 2006 Cannondale R800

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
It rains every 4th of July - which is well past Memorial Day. This year was the exception.

The big misconception about the Northwest is that it "rains less" here than it does in other places - like New York for example. This is true, but I would ask you this...

Would you rather have 50 days of harder rain or 100 days of lighter rain? The amount of rain here is reasonable. The number of dreary misty days can get unbearable.

55/Rad
I actually lived across the water from Seattle, on the north end of a peninsula. The Olympic Mtns cause several micro-climates in the area. An example is west of the mtns is an actual rain forest, and on the northeast side is an actual desert. I received some of the benefit of the "desert" area where I lived and had considerably less rainy days than towns to the south. Port Orchard, where Patriot lives, gets 3X as much rain as Hansville, which is about 30 miles north. I don't know exactly how much more it rains in Seattle, but I guess I may be different from others in I'd rather have rain where I don't need an umbrella than rain where I get ******d even with an umbrella. My guess is you're exaggerating a bit about the 4th of July. 2 of my 3 July fourths there were sunny and 75 degrees, the 3rd one I cannot confirm since I was underwater thousands of miles away.

The bicycling is pretty good, but I've never ridden in the winter there. I'll probably do it when I move back since I started riding in the winter here and the winter weather is pretty similar. That's one other nice thing about the PNW: it rarely gets below 40 deg.
Old 07-06-05, 07:37 PM
mirona
I can't find my pants

Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skinnyone
NE sucks... ... seriously...
One more vote for NE sucks.
Old 07-06-05, 08:23 PM
tourist
Closet Bike-a-holic

Bikes: '02 Cannondale R700 Road Warrior

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ...jeff
I second Austin.
I can't speak for the rest of the country, but in Texas I'd definitely agree on Austin.

www.friscocycling.com

www.hopefellowship.net
Old 07-06-05, 08:31 PM
OB1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
chattanooga TN, great people, lots of climbs
Old 07-06-05, 08:48 PM
youm0nt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think boulder and colorado springs are the heavens for endurance athletes.
Old 07-07-05, 12:04 AM
pinky
Ink-Stained Wretch

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Curiously why does New England bike culture suck?
Old 07-07-05, 06:11 AM
Induray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gapowermike
I like South Georgia. What it lacks in climbing it more than makes up for in unpopulated countryside with very little traffic. And the State/(with Fed help) government spends a ton of money to keep the roads freshly asphalted.
What part of Georgia is that? I found Warner Robins area unfriendly to cyclist. Rumble strips as wide as the shoulder roads pushes you into heavy traffic areas. Even in back country roads I found you have to constantly cross interstates or high traffic roads. However, I did enjoy the rolling hills and some of the views were very nice. I must add that the only bike shop in the area was very friendly and their weekly riding groups were excellent. Nice group of people. But WR is going through major road expansions and it appears that cyclist are not being considered, so it will be a matter of time....
Old 07-07-05, 07:07 AM
Spin_Dr_Tio

Bikes: Leopard Carbon, Airborne Zeppelin, Ibex 880 (Yeah, I like the little man)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently presented at a conference in Tucson, AZ and was completely taken in by the profuse cycling culture!!!

I have lived in south FL and cycling there is mostly a counter-culture, at best. The past two years I have resided in SC and, therefore, I have ridden most of the places mentioned in this thread in SC, GA, and NC. Sans select pockets in NC, cyling in these states are -- again -- counter-culture.

I haven't ridden in CO or some of the other more western states mentioned, but if they are anything like Tucson insofar as a cycling community (i.e., huge bike lines everywhere occuppied by an impressive diversity of cyclists - even in the heat), then the southeast is not even comparible.
Old 07-07-05, 07:45 AM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad

Would you rather have 50 days of harder rain or 100 days of lighter rain? The amount of rain here is reasonable. The number of dreary misty days can get unbearable.

55/Rad
Cleaning the bike after light rain is as much of a pain as after heavy rain, so I would pick 50 days of heavy rain.
Old 07-07-05, 08:17 AM
skinnyone
Dude wheres my guads?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pinky
Curiously why does New England bike culture suck?
Well... Many reasons...

1). Drivers suck ...
2). Roads suck ... No bike lanes, narrow roads and shoulders, potholes abound...
3). Weather sucks ...

These 3 alone should be reason enough...

4). Attitude sucks ...
5). Not enough people on bikes esply young women...
Old 07-07-05, 08:47 AM
mirona
I can't find my pants

Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by skinnyone
5). Not enough people on bikes esply young women...
Yea, this has to be the #1 reason. Besides, have you been anywhere else besides NE on a bike? Just doesn't compare. Anywhere but here... Of course, NE is rideable or else we wouldn't be talking here, but it just isn't the haven for cyclists like some of the other places listed. We're talking about exceptional places and NE is far from that.
Old 07-07-05, 09:35 AM
skinnyone
Dude wheres my guads?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mirona
Of course, NE is rideable or else we wouldn't be talking here, but it just isn't the haven for cyclists like some of the other places listed. We're talking about exceptional places and NE is far from that.
True dat... I lived and rode around Boulder and CO, so I was spoiled to begin with...

Last edited by skinnyone; 07-07-05 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-07-05, 09:42 AM
DerekU2

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Dauphine, 1997 GT Timberline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Boston, and I find the area okay for cycling, but the winter is long and brutal. My girlfriend is from Tucson, AZ and that area seems pretty nice. Sure, it can be very hot, but I think there's a decent ammount of varied terrain in the foothills and then you can hit the mountains for some SERIOUS climbs.
Old 07-07-05, 09:47 AM
ChAnMaN
Specialized Member

Bikes: 2004 Specialized Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have always been under the impression that colorado, boulder in particular, was the place to go for good cycling "culture"
Old 07-07-05, 10:15 AM
gapowermike

Bikes: Trek 1000 & 4100 & 5500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Statesboro/Savannah area. I'm from Waycross -- also pretty good although flat. We've got a nice LBS in Statesboro and the available low traffic options going out of town are plentiful. WR and Macon would be tough because of the sheer number of people, not to mention the interstate highways. I've found that it doesn't matter where you live or ride as long as you can enjoy yourself on a bike.
Old 07-07-05, 11:18 AM
spacefuzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Madison, WI. good cycling culture, tons of riders, paths and bike lanes everywhere in the city. the weather isnt the greatest in the winter but all of our good roads make up for it. we are also right next to superweek, 2.5 weeks of bike races every day.
Old 07-07-05, 11:45 AM
Stealthman_1
12 2005 DC Finishes

Bikes: 1998 Cannondale V1000, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, 2004 De Rosa King

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The San Francisco Bay area can not be beat in my opinion for all around cycling culture. SF lacks very little, and what it does lack is within 3 hours unless you have to ride below sea level in the desert and that is 6 hours.
Thousands of riders - check
Comfortable riding weather 12 months a year - check
Climbs over 3000ft - check
sustained grades over 10% - check
stoopid grades over 30% - check
velodrome - check
coastal riding - check
forest riding - check
alpine riding within 3 hours - check
wine country riding - check
century every weekend - check
double century within 3 hours drive - five
robust mtn bike scene - check
MUPs, bike trails, lanes - check
Old 07-07-05, 02:13 PM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
San Diego.

If you are into racing, riding hard and suffering. There is no better.

Great terrain. An opportunity to ride every day with top riders. and perfect weather.

There is, no lie, a group ride of at least 50 people every day of the week somewhere in that town that will be like a race.

Euro teams come to SD in the winter to train and the local talent is some of the world's finest.

In season, there are races, triathlons and duathlons every weekend. Plus, money races South of the border if you are so inclined.

Oh yeah, the mountain biking is great too.

-Z