Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Campy Chorus or Shimano Dura-Ace

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-17-05, 11:28 AM
ratmffl

Bikes: Cannondale R1000 Full Ultegra w/ Velomax Tempest Comps

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello all, I'm new to the site so I deeply apologize if I am bringing up a sore point of discussion for many regular viewers.

I've ordered a new Indy Fab Ti Crown Jewel w/ Carbon Seat Stays and I have the choice between a full Campy Chorus group or a full Dura-Ace group. I am able to get both at approximately the same price, the Dura-Ace would be a fraction more but not too much. I've been riding on a bike with a full Ultegra kit and I have sort of gotten used to the Shimano shifting levers, although I've heard from many people who ride Campy Record equipped bikes that the campy shifters are miles better, and that the Campy shifting has a smoother overall feel.

However, I also have heard that Campy parts are notoriously hard to work with, and having had my Ultegra bike for a number of years I have become quite adept to diagnosing drivetrain issues and fixing them myself without professional help.

So as you can see, I'm thoroughly divided. Any suggestions from people who have ridden both?? Thanks very much, and like I said I know asking Campy v. Shimano is like asking "The chicken or the egg??" or "Nature or nurture??", but I hope I've provided enough background as to how I am coming at it so someone could give me an educated suggestion. Thanks a bunch.

Ben
Old 08-17-05, 11:33 AM
DinoShepherd
cycle-dog spot

Bikes: Look, Niner, Ellsworth, Norco, Litespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
4 pages. minimum.

-Z
Old 08-17-05, 11:42 AM
Yoshi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I were you I'd probably just stick with what I'm comfortable with. That said, see if you can try out a friends campy bike and see if you like the shifters more.

Oh, and be prepared to be flamed.
Old 08-17-05, 11:46 AM
shabbis

Bikes: Cannondale six13, On-One Dirty Disco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with Yoshi, if you are comfortable with Shimano, get the Dura Ace.
Old 08-17-05, 11:48 AM
FatguyRacer
Mmmmm Donuts!

Bikes: 1998 IF Crown Jewel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As a fellow IF owner i had the same problem 7 years ago. Do I get a new DuraAce build kit or strip off the Campy Chorus from the old bike. I though about it and decided that a new top shelf bike deserved nothing less than a new top shelf grouppo and went with D/A. Still works flawlessly.

'09 Cannondale CAAD9 - Team Latitude/ABRT Special.
'04 Lemond Victorie Ti
'98 IF Crown Jewel (dead)
'92 Trek2100 (TT)
'50 something Gino Bartali (fixer)
'02 Ducati ST4s (Moto-Ref mount)

My Blog
Old 08-17-05, 11:57 AM
Smoothie104
Elitist Jackass

Bikes: Cannondale 2.8, Specialized S-works E5 road, GT Talera

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Isnt this years Chorus last years Record, or something like that?
Old 08-17-05, 12:15 PM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: 2011 Bianchi Infinito, 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll bite. Reasons I prefer Campy groups, especially shifters:

1. Shift many or ALL gears in one motion of the thumb or index levers.
2. Trim front derailleur.
3. Campy really feels more ergonomic. Moving a thumb or index lever is much easier than moving the brake lever, especially when moving up/down multiple gears.
4. A little more exclusive looking. Shimano adorns seemingly _every_ bike. Stand out a little.

Not a bad choice though. Good luck.
Old 08-17-05, 12:19 PM
cslone
Quarq shill

Bikes: 08 Felt F4, 05 Fuji Team SL, 08 Planet X Stealth, 10 Kona Jake the Snake, 03 Giant OCR flat bar.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with riding what you are more comfortable with. See if you can ride a Campy equipped bike and notice a difference.

That being said, my choice would be Campy. I have ridden all kinds of bikes with Ultegra, DA, Record, Chorus and Centaur. For personal preference, I like Campy.
Old 08-17-05, 12:32 PM
K6-III

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chorus, all the way.
Old 08-17-05, 12:33 PM
martin_j001
Allez!!! Allez!!!

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie w/Dura Ace, Benotto w/105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like everyone else said, check out a Campy equipped bike if you can. The shifting and the shifters themselves have a different feel than Shimano. Both are great groups though, and neither would be the "wrong" choice. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy your new bike!!
Old 08-17-05, 12:45 PM
roadracer13
BianchiBeaatch!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smoothie104
Isnt this years Chorus last years Record, or something like that?
Chorus is Record from 2 Years ago. I ride both Shimano and Campy... it is a lot easier to go from Shimano to Campy... than it is to go the other way. You will adapt to the Campagnolo stuff in a matter of a few miles... then you will never want to go back.

One note, Campy is not SMOOTHER than Shimano... no doubt Shimano has the market on that... but gcasillo
listed the real reason why I like Campy better than Shimano... he says it all.
Old 08-17-05, 12:54 PM
oopfoo
Evil Genius

Bikes: Pedal Force ZX3, Gary V Titanio, 1985 Cinelli Supercorsa, 1981 Pogliaghi, 1995 Casati Ellisse, Cinelli Softmachine hardtail, Surly Pugsley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently made the same decision, however coming to it as a long-time Campy fan. Unfortunately, after much riding and researching, I decided that current Campagnolo groups just aren't the jewels that they were in the 80's, when I raced them and Mavic components. Sure, they're nice, but gone are the fine logos and the jewel-like finishes. Gone is the technological edge they used to enjoy. Gone is the mystique of a fine Italian component group, pantographed and perfect on a handbuilt Italian frame. Now it seems like the only thing Campy has is a higher price.

If you want different, get a Stronglight or Stella Azzurra crank to go with your Chorus or Dura-Ace drivetrain. Pick the group that meets your needs and expectations, and don't expect them to be all THAT different.
Old 08-17-05, 01:06 PM
ratmffl

Bikes: Cannondale R1000 Full Ultegra w/ Velomax Tempest Comps

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

I have a friend that has a Litespeed Vortex w/ all Record stuff, so I'll hit him up and see if he'll let me touch it, let alone ride it...

I can't wait to get the bike regardless...but that right there is the problem, the IF factory is overloaded right now, so the ship date I received was October 4!! A small price to pay for what will prove to be an amazing frame, though.
Old 08-17-05, 01:18 PM
CPcyclist

Bikes: Lemond Arrivee, Felt F1 Road, Tomac Revolver(full), GT race (hardtail)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campy is fixable and no harder to work on then Shimano. If you are thinking of Campy go to the LBS find a Campy bike ride it for a while if the brifters are comfortable go for it (Chorus or save $$ by getting Centur). Note the shiffting will feel a little stiffer at first but will become smooth as any Shimano out of the box. If you are more comfortable with Shimano do the DA or save some money and get Ultegra.

IMHO I realy prefer Campy over Shimano but more for the fit of the controls then for anything one would "notice" in the drivetrain.
Old 08-17-05, 01:24 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by oopfoo
, but gone are the fine logos and the jewel-like finishes. Gone is the technological edge they used to enjoy...
yeah, now they just work better. Depends if your priorities are BS or cycling.

technical edge? Shimano woke them up, or we'd all still be using downtube shifters.

I have bikes with both, and it really comes down to your ergonomics and your preference, but there is no blanket statement that can say one is better than another, both are f-in excellent.

Old 08-17-05, 02:04 PM
sunninho
Go Titans!!

Bikes: '04 Eddy Merckx Team SC - Record - Rolf Prima Vigor; Andy Hampsten Cinghiale - Dura Ace 7800 - Rolf Elan Aero

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have both Record and Dura Ace. Happy with both. But for your money and with price being just about equal, I'd go with Dura Ace. The DA 10 speed crank with integrated BB is one of the best out there.

I love how stiff and smooth mine is, and I'm running the DA 10 speed crank with a 9 speed cassette and shifters.
Old 08-17-05, 02:07 PM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I'm a long time STI user that purchased a Chorus group for a new bike. Dispite my best efforts to get used to the Ergo shifters I was often times confused with which lever to push to upshift/downshift (old dogs are hard to retrain). I finally gave up after a half dozen rides and changed out the Chorus parts for Dura Ace 10. In my opinion the DA10 parts are far superior in terms of shift smoothness and shift ease. I also think the Shimano parts are easier to set-up; the floating upper jockey pulley on the rear derailleur makes cable adjustment less critical. My inability to get used to the Ergo levers is not important, but what is important to me is the fact that the Shimano parts just seem to shift smoother with less hand effort. Campy is more tactile; shifting with a clunk. Shimano is smoother and shifts with more of a quiet "click". Also, the Shimano crank with the larger spindle and outboard bearings have noticably less chain rub on the front derailleur. I doubt there is any actual power loss from flex in the Campy bottom bracket but there is clearly less chain rub from the stiffer interface.

Vote with your wallet.

Ed
Old 08-17-05, 02:12 PM
geist
suffering...

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAPO, 2004 Look 468SL, CAAD 8, IRO MV, IRO bfssfg, 80's Panasonic x2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They both rock. Get what YOU like.
Old 08-17-05, 02:29 PM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: 2011 Bianchi Infinito, 2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently made the same decision, however coming to it as a long-time Campy fan. Unfortunately, after much riding and researching, I decided that current Campagnolo groups just aren't the jewels that they were in the 80's, when I raced them and Mavic components. Sure, they're nice, but gone are the fine logos and the jewel-like finishes. Gone is the technological edge they used to enjoy. Gone is the mystique of a fine Italian component group, pantographed and perfect on a handbuilt Italian frame. Now it seems like the only thing Campy has is a higher price.
I agree that vintage Campagnolo parts are a "thing" unto themselves. However, I'm calling you out on price. It's just one example, but cbike.com has Dura Ace groups priced $70 more than a comparable (alloy crank) Record group and $430 more than Chorus groups. You can get Chorus w/ the carbon crank for $130 less than Dura Ace. Chorus is $40 cheaper than Ultegra 10, and I'd take Chorus over Ultegra ten days out of ten.

If you want different, get a Stronglight or Stella Azzurra crank to go with your Chorus or Dura-Ace drivetrain. Pick the group that meets your needs and expectations, and don't expect them to be all THAT different.
I agree that Stronglight and Stella Azzura cranks are an attractive alternative to Campy's pricey carbon crank offerings. I've had both alloy and carbon Record cranks; I could tell little difference except in my checking account. That said, Record alloy cranks are every bit as good as Dura Ace cranks for about $120 less.
Old 08-17-05, 02:56 PM
sydney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ratmffl

So as you can see, I'm thoroughly divided. Any suggestions from people who have ridden both?? Thanks v
Got em both.Do my own wrenching. Campy levers are rebuildable.Have no issues with either one.Campy levers fit myhands better.
Old 08-17-05, 02:58 PM
sydney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcasillo
I'll bite. Reasons I prefer Campy groups, especially shifters:

2. Trim front derailleur.
Shimano has Trim
Old 08-17-05, 03:07 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm running 16 year old D/A and it works PERFECTLY. My next bike will likely have Campy just to see what all the fuss is about. At the upper end of the range on either side I'd wager you're getting really good equipment that'll bring a really big smile.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch View Post
Why am I in your signature.
Old 08-17-05, 03:25 PM
sorebutt
Über member!

Bikes: 2004 Albert Eisentraut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode both systems, today I ride on Campy, and every so often get to ride a Shimano.. I miss the feel of the Shimano hoods, but I like the way Campy shifts.. so, for my next bike I will get whatever the bike comes with. The system will not be a factor in selecting a bike..

If I had 2 bikes, one for "racing" and one for long ride, I would equip the racing bike with Campy and the Centuries bike with Shimano.. But thats me.. I know some people feel a lot stronger about the groups..
Old 08-17-05, 03:27 PM
samp02

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campy.....
Old 08-17-05, 04:10 PM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok I will refrain from posting my 8 page technical article on this. Point is some people like shimano, some campy. There are many reasons for choosing either group and wither group functions about as well as the other, minus the little querks of each group set.

There is no right or wrong on this debate, the best thing to get is the thing that you like the best... not what everyone else says on the subject... Go ride a campy bike, ride a shimano bike and see what you like the best. For 90% of riders each group is basically the same, get what YOU like.

What are the differences you say...?

Shimano
1. STI shifter system, 10 speed, larger hood, smoother shifting overall (open to interpretation).
2. Hollowtech 2 external bearing crank/BB system - some say it is stiffer, lighter
3. Everything else is basically academic and does not really effect the usabilty

Campy
1. Ergopower system, thumb shifter and small padal shifting system, more percise with a little loss of smothness. Many people say these shifters feel more mechanical and percise. The carbon parts are lighter, some say plastically compared to the da10 metal sti's/
2. More traditional style cranket, avalable as compact, carbon ($$$)
3. Carbon bits on deraileurs

Now because campy is the lesser used brand you may have trouble with wheel pits and spare wheels at races. Basically you have to carry your own stuff. With campy becoming more common though this is less of an issue. You will also hear that campy is rebuildable... true, and that shimano is not rebuildable (sorta true, not completly). Of course you do need some level of mechanical skill to rebuild campy parts and it could cost almost 2/3's+ of new.

Good luck with your purchace...

BTW I own 2 DA10 bikes (road and TT) and my next purchace will be a campy groupo...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.