Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

What?! A Fatbike 29er?!

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

What?! A Fatbike 29er?!

Old 08-13-15, 08:39 AM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What?! A Fatbike 29er?!

So, I was arrogantly laughing at Salsa's Pony Rustler. A 27.5 wheel size with a 3-inch tire? It's the rise of the in-betweeners on the quest for more money!!!

Then I realized, they're going to get my money, too. Sort of.

The 27.5 wheel size with a 3-inch tire has about the same overall diameter as a 700c tire with a 2.2-inch tire. So, most frames can take a 27.5+ tire and wheel! Whoa! A revelation!

Here, you can see a 27.5+ 2.8-inch tire from WTB vs a traditional 29er wheel.

So, over the next month I'm going to get a 27.5+ wheelset built and start testing tires for off-road touring on my Surly Karate Monkey. I think I'm gonna go 2.8 in the back and then get something really meaty up front, like a 3.25, to keep my BB height up. Anyone else do something like this, or plan to?
Old 08-14-15, 08:40 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 744 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Been thinking about it for my specialized enduro, but that's not for touring. Hubs and rims? Both have been blowing up with changes. The new plus sized setups have 110 front and 148mm rear hubs. Currently running velocity p35 rims on my KM, with geax tattoo tires at 2.3" wide, sort of like a hookworm in tread. Toying with the idea of bike packing with my Farley 6. Running some smooth 3.5" v rubber speedsters. Maybe. Need to work out the rack/bag setup for it though. The new rims for the 27.5 + are wide, like 35-50 mm, what are you planning on running?
Old 08-14-15, 10:04 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been touring on a 29+ bike with 3" tires for 3 years now and love it. It rolls fine for 100kms+ pavement days, loves dirt roads and rocks techy singletrack very well due to the large diameter wheel. I can't see myself going back to "skinny" tires for the kind of touring I do.

I haven't tried B+ tires/wheels and probably won't unless I get a FS bike to tour on. However, I don't see any reason not to stuff a set into your KM if you get a BB height you are happy with and there is lots of clearance in the rear for it.

My buddy rode a B+ Rocky Mountain Sherpa on our last tour and he liked it a lot.
Old 08-14-15, 10:53 AM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I should add that a 3" tire has far more in common with a normal width MTB tire than it does a fatbike tire. So you get a much more nimble fast rolling wheel, but you lose most of the float that fatbikes have to conquer soft conditions.

For a wide variety of conditions a 3" tire is an amazing compromise between skinny and fat tires that I think makes a great choice, but if you need to ride deep sand/snow there is no comparison to a 4" or 5" fatbike tire.
Old 08-14-15, 12:09 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RM sure changed the Sherpa in the last few years.
Old 08-14-15, 08:28 PM
bmike
Bye Bye

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2.8 in the rear of a KM? Man that would be sweet. I hope it works out.
Front - if you have the clearance in the fork - or get a new fork with the clearance - just rebuild your front wheel with s 45 or 35 inside dimension rim - something like the WTB Scraper or Velocity Dually (or whatever it's called now). Then you can just swap tires. Although a wheel swap is even easier.

Plus is pretty fun. Really happy with my Krampus. SS riding it now. The rohloff wheel will go back on in the fall for some trips.