Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

"Dear Carleton"

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 11:53 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
OK. I get it.
Old 03-17-16, 06:24 AM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhatsYoCadence
Literally some old Pro carbon bars! I also don't like the way they look. I want them to be just black, instead of having white and gold decals all over them.
All black is a good look. I also have the matching track stem, which I think brings the color scheme together. That said, I might end up using my Cavendish road stem since I like the curved lines a little better.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Pro Cockpit.jpg (99.2 KB, 292 views)
Old 03-19-16, 12:36 AM
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi
All black is a good look. I also have the matching track stem, which I think brings the color scheme together. That said, I might end up using my Cavendish road stem since I like the curved lines a little better.

Your bars don't have gold on them like mine. Tradesies?
Old 03-19-16, 07:43 AM
dunderhi

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Your bars don't have gold on them like mine. Tradesies?
Nah, I'm a silver medal type of guy. Gold would be too much pressure for me.
Old 03-19-16, 06:00 PM
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dunderhi
Nah, I'm a silver medal type of guy. Gold would be too much pressure for me.
Hahah, i hate this gold. Hey what width are those bars? Mine are 40, which is too big for me. I'm like 5'5.
Old 03-19-16, 06:22 PM
Trackliche

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, i'm 99% done with building my new bike for track racing.

I'm down to the handlebar/stem, in which I have two options.

Option A) Carbon track drops with a -10º stem
or
Option B) Aluminum road drops with a -17º stem

Both options will give me the same amount of drop (give or take). What would you personally do in this situation?

A few minor details- I raced the alu drops all last year and loved them. Bought the carbon drops (from MarkWW!) recently and haven't even ridden them yet. I can tell you the grip is way thicker and is supposed to be used without tape, however the grippiness is starting to fade. I don't want to HAVE to wear gloves. Should I tape them with a thin cloth?

What would you personally do?

Thanks!
I've used bedliner in a can to good effect. Plenty grippy, pretty inexpensive, super durable. Gloves are up to you.

-TC
Old 03-19-16, 07:39 PM
dunderhi

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hahah, i hate this gold. Hey what width are those bars? Mine are 40, which is too big for me. I'm like 5'5.
I'm a pretty big guy, so I think mine are a bit narrow at 40cm c-c. Last year, I rode 42cm c-c and the year before that I rode deep drop Cinelli's at 43cm c-c.
Old 04-22-16, 10:21 AM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear Careton,
Will I see you at the Keirin next week? Or will you be too busy playing tennis?
Old 04-22-16, 10:26 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Quinn8it
Dear Careton,
Will I see you at the Keirin next week? Or will you be too busy playing tennis?

I definitely won't be there racing. But, I'll certainly come and watch!
Old 04-22-16, 10:37 AM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking forward to riding that track! Should be a couple fun nights of racing
Old 04-22-16, 03:03 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm really bummed I won't be able to make it back this year. I'll be too busy drinking in the dominican republic.
Old 04-22-16, 07:26 PM
Quinn8it

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MarkWW
I'm really bummed I won't be able to make it back this year. I'll be too busy drinking in the dominican republic.
Bummer!!!
I was supposed to go 3yrs ago and had a situation at work that forced me to cancel last minute...
Old 04-22-16, 09:39 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Quinn8it
Looking forward to riding that track! Should be a couple fun nights of racing
It will be, for sure!
Old 05-29-16, 05:13 PM
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, I'm finding that I have good acceleration and good-enough-to-win top end. My problem is my lungs are done before the race is. What should I do for training to help with that? I have a trainer, but it's not quite tight on my bike so I end up leaning to the left a little when I ride it- so I prefer not to, but will if you say to.
Old 05-29-16, 07:10 PM
carleton
Elitist

So, I'm finding that I have good acceleration and good-enough-to-win top end. My problem is my lungs are done before the race is. What should I do for training to help with that? I have a trainer, but it's not quite tight on my bike so I end up leaning to the left a little when I ride it- so I prefer not to, but will if you say to.
It's not up to me.

You need some sort of conditioning. All sprint and now conditioning makes Jack a dull boy.
Old 05-29-16, 11:36 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
What kind of races? Sprints ~ trainer intervals 30s on 60s off @ 60-80% of your top speed. 5min warmup, 8 and working up to 12-14 reps, 5min cooldown. For longer enduro type races, do more road riding, especially crit style. High intensity, shorter 1-1.5hr duration
Old 06-05-16, 06:39 PM
Not the Slowest

Bikes: 2002 Seven Axiom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As stated there are a number of things that can still be done. As a side note, get the trainer issue resolved. Sounds like the trainer you have will not lock your track/or road bike properly. In anycase I believe using the road bike on it makes more sense and resolve that issue.
Old 06-05-16, 08:34 PM
GENESTARWIND

Bikes: purty blue undefeated II 57cm

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Squats and dead lift > leg press! What are those numbers sit. I assume pretty high
Old 08-30-16, 10:37 AM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Bikes: BT Stealth

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dear Carleton....

Atm I'm trying to source a front race wheel, I'm keen on a zipp 808 as I have a zipp rear disc (am actually keen one a food 5 spoke, but I'm poor). However in my searches I've found a 1080 going for a great price. The depth of the wheel isn't much of an issue for me as I have a campy posts front I can use if it's windy. My issue is the stiffness. By no means am I putting out pro numbers but I am a sprinter. I'm currently sitting between 80-85kg.
I read on the "informal wheel review" thread that they feel squishy in the corners when pulling some gs. Is this a major issue or just a small gripe? How would the "squichyness" compare to that of a mavic ellipse or a campy pista?
Old 08-30-16, 12:44 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Huskey
Dear Carleton....

Atm I'm trying to source a front race wheel, I'm keen on a zipp 808 as I have a zipp rear disc (am actually keen one a food 5 spoke, but I'm poor). However in my searches I've found a 1080 going for a great price. The depth of the wheel isn't much of an issue for me as I have a campy posts front I can use if it's windy. My issue is the stiffness. By no means am I putting out pro numbers but I am a sprinter. I'm currently sitting between 80-85kg.
I read on the "informal wheel review" thread that they feel squishy in the corners when pulling some gs. Is this a major issue or just a small gripe? How would the "squichyness" compare to that of a mavic ellipse or a campy pista?
Deeper isn't necessarily better when it comes to aero equipment. The sweet spot for deep dish wheels on outdoor tracks is somewhere between the Zipp 404 or 808.

Riding a 1080 on an outdoor track would be very similar to riding a front disk...on an outdoor track. Any gust of wind will affect your steering and scare the bejeezus out of you. Feels like someone grabbed your handlebars and pushed them to the side

My advice:

- If you are a smaller rider 160lbs or less (ballpark number), go with a 404 type wheel. 808 will be too big and a gust of wind will blow you around.
- If you are larger than 160lbs, go with an 808 type wheel because you are heavy enough to deal with a gust of wind.
- Pass on the 1080 for any size.

This isn't an exact science. This is just my anecdotal experience. I've seen smaller riders on 808s and they hated being blown around (one rider immediately came off the track and raced the rest of the day on her training front wheel). I've seen 180lb guys get the willies riding 1080 front wheels.

The 1080 simply isn't worth it...especially if you are on a budget and are looking for a regular-use race wheel.

Further, I don't mean get 404s or 808s. Just use their depths as a reference when buying Zipp or other brand wheels.

Everyone seems to be OK on 5 spoke wheels with regards to gusts of wind from the side.

Last edited by carleton; 08-30-16 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-30-16, 12:54 PM
carleton
Elitist

Also, the 1080s weighed the same as the 808s. This means they used the same amount of material and simply stretched it thinner. Hence the mushiness that I experienced. I'm much heavier than most. But, I had a 180-190lb teammate say he felt the same thing when he borrowed the wheelset.

If you have 808 and 1080 in-hand at the same time, you can tap on the carbon and feel the relative thinness of the 1080s.
Old 08-30-16, 05:09 PM
brawlo

Originally Posted by Huskey
Dear Carleton....

If it's only a front wheel you're chasing, then don't forget you can also use road front wheels with the bolt skewers. That should broaden your horizons quite a bit and allow you to scour the triathlon sales pages where the gear turnover is quite high. Also, once you go past 60mm, the aero gains are almost negligible, so say a 90mm front gives very little advantage over a 60.
Old 08-30-16, 07:52 PM
Huskey
Great at turning left

Bikes: BT Stealth

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah the 1080 is a road wheel. Triathletes seem to have slot of money to throw around to have just a high turn over. Shame they can't ride....

I've used an 80mm wheel with my disc before borrowed it at training and didn't have any issues in regards to wind (was actually windy that day)
I wasn't too keen on the 1080 at first but I figured I'd look into it. If it does the job and it's there for the right price then why not.
Anyway I'm going to give it a miss, I'm 185ish and only going to get heavier and my state titles will be on boards. Don't really want to second guess my equipment when doing 60+ through the corners.

Thanks for the fast feedback though, unfortunately I couldn't find anyone local with one I could try out or ask their opinion
Old 08-31-16, 01:01 AM
brawlo

How much do you want to spend? Maybe look at a reputable Chinese front wheel from the likes of Light Bicycle (that's who made my rims) or Farsports. Upgrade to a reasonable hub and off you go. Quality replacement wheel bearings if the stock ones are dodgy are pretty cheap. Go for the U shaped rim offerings for better performance in crosswinds if you'll be using it outdoors. My Chinese 88mm rims laced to DA hubs have rocketed my 120kg ass to an 11.92 F200 without a problem
Old 09-12-16, 03:23 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
What does a pursuit bike a Cat 1 rider would use look like?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.