Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Summer Touring in Long Sleeves?

Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Summer Touring in Long Sleeves?

Old 02-22-17, 09:52 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The thinest icebreaker long sleeve shirts are ok at 70 or 80 or something. When it is 100 in the jungle, silk is the way to go. 1,000,000 chinese can not be wrong. Silk is unquestionably cooler.

On my lower arm and around my elbows there are noticable wrinkles, sun damage from years of bicycles, motor bikes, lawn mowers, and such. Above the farmers tan line and on my legs, not so many wrinkles. Old people warned me about sun damage, I choose not to listen.

The chinese guy must have short arms, get your silk shirt 1 size to big.
Old 02-22-17, 10:04 PM
mdilthey

Bikes: Nature Boy 853 Disc, Pugsley SS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Everyone thought I was crazy when I went to Israel. Long sleeves, big hat, long pants. I was the only person that wasn't constantly battling dehydration and heat sickness when temperatures went over 100, on top of the Mediterranean humidity.

Old 02-22-17, 10:06 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Sharpshin View Post
The shirts are plain ol' oversized (2X for me) $25 Magellan fishing shirts.

Mike
This is definitely the way to go. Found my yellow long sleeve fly fishing shirt on the clearance rack. It's yellow!
Old 02-23-17, 01:57 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2771 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 115 Posts
I wore my long sleeve Champion jersey today when the temp reached 90F (even for Texas that's unusually warm in February). Felt comfortable. Surprised me because I mostly got 'em for winter base layers. But they'd be cool in summer with just an occasional squirt from a water bottle on the arms, back, etc.

I plan to get a couple more of the Champion jerseys for summer. I burn easily and my arms are getting that mottled, papery old dude look. I'm only 59, not ready for that.

BTW, these aren't cycling jerseys, just long sleeve active wear shirts (listed as Champion Men's Double Dry Long Sleeve Tee on Amazon). Casual fit, wicking fabric, very lightweight but tough. I crashed onto the pavement in one a few weeks ago, no rips, holes or snags. Not bad for $10-$15. That's better than my Garneau cycling jerseys which do snag and get pinholes easily from crashing.
Old 02-23-17, 02:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8608 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Shimagnolo View Post
https://www.desotosport.com/products/sds-leg-coolers

You can find them most often at online stores who carry triathlon products.
They look darned near sheer, but are remarkably effective at blocking the sun.

Heh. Several years ago my local bike had arm warmers made for the give away for the club century. They must have been made of something like this fabric because they really did make your arms cooler when you wore them.
Old 02-23-17, 08:18 PM
NoControl 
Look Ma! No Hands!

Bikes: Troll, Raleigh Twenty, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Yep. I cover up in the sun. Many days fishing in the blazing sun and one realizes that sunscreen is a joke. A little permethrin around the edges and you're bug-proof as well.
Old 02-25-17, 12:05 PM
Brett A

Bikes: Many of different types

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I rode through Death Valley last September. It was between 110 and 120 while I was riding. I wore a light gray long sleeve waffle weave base layer shirt and, because it's all I has with me, black fleece leg warmers we use here in New England when it's 40. I also had a hat under my helmet that shaded my face. I made of point of drinking a liter of water an hour and I was quite comfortable. It was a high point of my ride in fact.

I would never want to have exposed my skin to that heat. I did see a few regular/fast road riders come through in the other direction wearing typical spandex clothing with bare arms and legs and thought what a bad, bad idea.

But here in rural Massachusetts when it's 90+ and very humid, long sleeves don't really seem like an option. It's difficult enough for the sweat to cool your body because it simply doesn't evaporate. Putting cloth over it only seems to make it worse.
Old 02-25-17, 01:58 PM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bet those riders in regular short sleeve spandex will get some killer tans....literally.
Old 02-25-17, 04:25 PM
djb

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka View Post
I have sunsleeves which I've worn in temps up to 30C. Unfortunately they don't breathe particularly well, so 30C is about the hottest I could stand. However, under 30C, they're great ... I don't burn through them and don't have to use sunscreen while I've got them on.

When it gets hotter than that, I switch to sunscreen.

A good part of feeling cool while riding is not getting burned.

I also know that a lot of people who work outdoors prefer loose, long-sleeved cotton shirts.
Am presently riding through Central America and my white sun sleeves are ok up until about 30c or a bit more, higher than that and I find it cooler with sunscreen on my arms.
Unfortunately I didn't bring a loose long sleeved shirt, would have been interesting to compare.

All I can say is that the sugui white sun sleeves on a really really hot climbing day with still air are just too much and I over heat more.
Old 02-25-17, 04:39 PM
NoControl 
Look Ma! No Hands!

Bikes: Troll, Raleigh Twenty, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
How is silk for SPF rating, and are there any silk shirts available that are worthy of outdoor adventures?
Old 02-25-17, 07:27 PM
BikeLite

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the sugoi (sp) is tight fitting, I would hate it too. Silk is likely to have a poor upf rating. Linen might be good.
Old 02-26-17, 03:12 AM
RohloffRoller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also in Australia, Victoria, aged 74 and I have seen too many of my contemporaries having bits cut off parts of their bodies so I ride in long sleeve cycle shirts and I wear lightweight ripstop material trousers over my knicks.

Mike
Old 02-26-17, 07:17 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by axolotl View Post
No, DC did not used to be "generally overcast" in the summer.
OK, not like Seattle but it's still gotten hotter & sunnier over the decades. Sign o' the times is that locally, Bermuda grass is taking over most yards. BTW I made the mistake of buying a non-visor "road" helmet, surprising how annoying low sun can be. Saw a couple of riders wearing "Da Brim" or similar this week & it's only February!

The black vs white clothes topic is intriguing, I used to think the pro Sky team was dumb to wear black jerseys, perhaps not.
Old 02-27-17, 10:33 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan View Post
BTW I made the mistake of buying a non-visor "road" helmet, surprising how annoying low sun can be. Saw a couple of riders wearing "Da Brim" or similar this week & it's only February!

I enjoy the visor, riding a road bike with MTB helmet. If I cared about fashion I wouldn't be riding around in tight, bright clothes!
Old 02-27-17, 12:27 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, Perfekt 3 Speed -age unknown, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I was in Florida Everglades and Florida Keys a couple weeks ago. Some days were in high 80s with low 70s (F) dewpoints. Hottest bike tour I have ever done.

I wear short sleeves and shorts in that kind of weather. My touring partner also wore short sleeves and shorts on the bike.

In the campsite, I wore shorts and short sleeves while my touring partner wore long pants and long shirt sleeves. But I think he wore the longer sleeves and long pants more for the bugs than for the heat. First day I got eaten by the bugs pretty badly, I was quicker to put on repellent starting the next day.

On a couple trips I have used a white (short sleeve) jersey, it felt cooler in the sun than colors. I disagree with the comment above that black is cooler.
Old 02-27-17, 11:47 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb View Post
I enjoy the visor, riding a road bike with MTB helmet. If I cared about fashion I wouldn't be riding around in tight, bright clothes!
Yeah, I don't get the fashion objection to visors. A Tour de France broadcast mentioned that Lance sometimes wore MTB helmets, I would have never noticed.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN View Post
I was in Florida Everglades and Florida Keys a couple weeks ago. Some days were in high 80s with low 70s (F) dewpoints. Hottest bike tour I have ever done.

I wear short sleeves and shorts in that kind of weather. My touring partner also wore short sleeves and shorts on the bike.

In the campsite, I wore shorts and short sleeves while my touring partner wore long pants and long shirt sleeves. But I think he wore the longer sleeves and long pants more for the bugs than for the heat. First day I got eaten by the bugs pretty badly, I was quicker to put on repellent starting the next day.

On a couple trips I have used a white (short sleeve) jersey, it felt cooler in the sun than colors. I disagree with the comment above that black is cooler.
Toured So Florida during 35 C/95 F heat wave & white long sleeves seemed to help. A lot of FL outdoor workers wear extensive sun protective clothing. In summertime the Southern & Mid-Atlantic sun can be even more relentless.

I'm dubious about the black clothes theory, I think the increased solar heating often outweighs white clothing supposedly reflecting body heat back inwards. This summer I might try out some white nylon warmup pants.
Old 03-06-17, 05:21 PM
Airdog320
Grumpy

Bikes: Surly LHT, Shogun Ninja, Santana tandem (in storage)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer seersucker long sleeve shirts because the puckers in the fabric help hold the cloth off of the skin. My next choice when facing long sun exposure times are Columbia etc. fishing shirts with a SPF of about 50. Don't forget sun screen protection for hands, knees, nose, ears and neck. Here in Florida there are far too many folks that look like "fine Corinthian leather", I don't intend to be one.
Old 03-06-17, 08:44 PM
kevrider

Bikes: way too many

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i hike in a loose-fitting, long-sleeved shirt. i wear a white, long-sleeved under armor short, under my short-sleeved jersey, for riding in summer.
Old 03-12-17, 09:13 AM
BobbyMo

Bikes: Specialized AWOL

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Spent a lot of time in Africa & Saudi Arabia (not biking). The locals all wear long sleeves. Loose fitting white or tan clothing will keep the solar radiation off of your skin, while still allowing sweat to evaporate. Consider linen. Its worked for centuries.