Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2017 Specialized Roubaix review

Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

2017 Specialized Roubaix review

Old 08-28-17, 11:11 AM
  #501  
OldTryGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SW Fl.
Posts: 4,394

Bikes: 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 655 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Gr00v3 View Post
Thanks mate, I discovered that yesterday. That fixed the cover rattle, but I still have the creaking/crackling noise in the out of saddle efforts. Yesterday while climbing, I tried putting less weight on the bars, and I think maybe the bottom bracket is making the noise, and traveling up to the bars? I'll probably have my LBS check it out sometime this week if I can find the time
Cranks and pedals checking is a good idea. Might want to also check spokes for tightness.
OldTryGuy is offline  
Old 08-28-17, 12:39 PM
  #502  
Masque 
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Willamette Valley
Posts: 334

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
Make sure there is one of those plastic spacers above the future shock cover. If not, the cover can rattle.
Whoa whoa whoa. No. That's not how it should be. Future Shock cartridge should be aligned properly with one flat face toward the front, stem shim opening to the back, and check the steerer tube collar and compression ring (ring opening should be front or back, not to either side at all). The FS cartridge should be seated low enough that the rubber boot presses down gently on the headset cover.

It should NOT rattle.
Masque is offline  
Old 08-28-17, 01:55 PM
  #503  
ruppster
Bike Builder
 
ruppster's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Marietta, OH
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
Whoa whoa whoa. No. That's not how it should be. Future Shock cartridge should be aligned properly with one flat face toward the front, stem shim opening to the back, and check the steerer tube collar and compression ring (ring opening should be front or back, not to either side at all). The FS cartridge should be seated low enough that the rubber boot presses down gently on the headset cover.

It should NOT rattle.
I'll double check, but thought I followed the instructions. With no shims I could fit a piece of paper or two in the gap, just enough to rattle on gravel roads.

Edit: Went home, disassembled it. It was orientated correctly. Removed the 5mm shim from below. Reassembled. I had to add the weight of my thumb on top of the future shock assembly when tightening the collar bolt to eliminate that tiny gap and subsequent looseness of the headset cover. It does seem to be possible to not rattle and have it completely "slammed". Thanks for the info.

Last edited by ruppster; 08-28-17 at 03:14 PM.
ruppster is offline  
Old 08-29-17, 05:07 PM
  #504  
benadrian
the slow guy
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 63

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, BMC GF02 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gr00v3 View Post
question for all fellow Roubaix owners. I've noticed some noise coming out of my front end when I'm doing out of saddle efforts, whether it's climbing or sprinting. It sounds, for lack of a better description, pebbles in a jar shaking about. Has anyone else encountered this?
Howdy!

I recently got a new 2016 Roubaix SL4 on super deep closeout. I love the bike. However, I started getting mild creaking out of the bottom bracket and drivetrain area under heavy torque. My plan is to start with the pedals and go from there.

GCN has a lot of good creak-stopping video. Perhaps start here.

Cheers!
benadrian is offline  
Old 09-01-17, 11:08 AM
  #505  
Masque 
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Willamette Valley
Posts: 334

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ruppster View Post
I'll double check, but thought I followed the instructions. With no shims I could fit a piece of paper or two in the gap, just enough to rattle on gravel roads.

Edit: Went home, disassembled it. It was orientated correctly. Removed the 5mm shim from below. Reassembled. I had to add the weight of my thumb on top of the future shock assembly when tightening the collar bolt to eliminate that tiny gap and subsequent looseness of the headset cover. It does seem to be possible to not rattle and have it completely "slammed". Thanks for the info.
That's great news! I've seen a few of these headsets set up incorrectly; my LBS gave me a stern lecture on reading the manual every time I adjusted it until I had it all memorized because of how different it was... apparently it's not uncommon to tighten/loosen the headset clamping bits in the wrong order, and that can make things go really wrong, from rattles all the way to bearings-go-boom-too-soon.

I'm so glad you don't have to live with the rattle anymore.

And I'm still chuckling any time someone talks about a "slammed" stem on a bike with 30mm of mandatory spacing : roflmao2:
Masque is offline  
Old 09-13-17, 11:50 AM
  #506  
3949dxer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Burbank and Thailand
Posts: 81

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Sport, Merida road bike, crappy old MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On Monday I ordered a Roubaix Sport (orange/red) for myself and a Ruby Sport for my wife. Since the 2018's are out now I had been thinking to look for discounted 2017's. But then I learned that on the 2017's, the Future Shock was only included on the Elite and above, but the 2018 Sports do have them. Consensus seems to be that that feature really makes a big difference, so we bit the bullet and ordered the 2018's with a small (too small but didn't want to push very hard) discount.

These will replace our Specialized Allez Sport and Dolce bikes, which were stolen a couple months ago. They look like fantastic bikes, and a significant improvement over our old ones. We get them next week, I can't wait. (Been riding my crappy old MTB around town since the rip off, which has been driving me nuts.)
3949dxer is offline  
Old 09-13-17, 11:56 AM
  #507  
Slick Madone
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I bought the 2017 Roubaix Expert and the FS makes a very noticeable difference in ride. Really pleased with the purchase overall.
Slick Madone is offline  
Old 09-13-17, 07:26 PM
  #508  
wheelhot
Senior Member
 
wheelhot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,740

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3949dxer View Post
But then I learned that on the 2017's, the Future Shock was only included on the Elite and above, but the 2018 Sports do have them. Consensus seems to be that that feature really makes a big difference, so we bit the bullet and ordered the 2018's with a small (too small but didn't want to push very hard) discount.
There's no 2017 Roubaix Sport, 2017 Roubaix starts with Elite > Comp > Expert > and so on

For 2018, apparently, it starts with Sport > Elite > Comp > Expert > and so on. The Sport comes at a lower price level than the 2017 Elite though it's specced without the CG-R seatpost and the frame is using Fact 9r instead of Fact10r found in Elite level and above (S-Works uses Fact11r, and Expert as well I think)

Sorry to hear about your previous bike
wheelhot is offline  
Old 09-13-17, 09:05 PM
  #509  
GeneO 
Cyclopath
 
GeneO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,134

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1, Felt 2012 F55X

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post
There's no 2017 Roubaix Sport, 2017 Roubaix starts with Elite > Comp > Expert > and so on

For 2018, apparently, it starts with Sport > Elite > Comp > Expert > and so on. The Sport comes at a lower price level than the 2017 Elite though it's specced without the CG-R seatpost and the frame is using Fact 9r instead of Fact10r found in Elite level and above (S-Works uses Fact11r, and Expert as well I think)

Sorry to hear about your previous bike
Expert has 10r. Only the S-Works is 11r.
__________________
Manbearpig & Redtail
GeneO is offline  
Old 09-14-17, 02:29 AM
  #510  
wheelhot
Senior Member
 
wheelhot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,740

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Expert has 10r. Only the S-Works is 11r.
Yeah, you're correct. The Expert has 10r, apparently, the other model that comes with 11r is the Roubaix Pro model.

Oh and the site has been updated with 2018 Roubaix
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...s/road/roubaix

It seems there are 2 entry level models now
1. Roubaix (Fact 9r)
2. Roubaix Sport (Fact 9r)

Mid Level
3. Roubaix Elite (Fact 10r)
4. Roubaix Comp (Fact 10r)
5. Roubaix Expert (Fact 10r)

High End
6. Roubaix Expert Ultegra Di2 (Fact 10r)
7. Roubaix Pro (Fact 11r)
8. S-Works Roubaix E-Tap (S-Works Fact 11r)
9. S-Works Roubaix Dura-Ace Di2 (S-Works Fact 11r)
10. S-Works Roubaix McLaren Dura-Ace Di2 (that's a mouthful )(S-Works Fact 11r)

There's a new S-Works frameset that has a very nice colourway, but overall I feel 2017 has nicer colourway across the ranges. Too many solid and black colours for 2018 in my opinion.

Curiously, 2018 Models are specced with 160mm rear rotors and they're regular 6 bolt rotors instead of Shimano Center Lock Ice Tech rotors, cost cutting perhaps?
wheelhot is offline  
Old 09-14-17, 07:06 AM
  #511  
GeneO 
Cyclopath
 
GeneO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,134

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1, Felt 2012 F55X

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post
Yeah, you're correct. The Expert has 10r, apparently, the other model that comes with 11r is the Roubaix Pro model.

Oh and the site has been updated with 2018 Roubaix
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...s/road/roubaix
I know, I have the 2018 Expert DI2 on order. Will be a while before they are available. Sure looks like center-lock brakes to me.
__________________
Manbearpig & Redtail
GeneO is offline  
Old 09-14-17, 07:21 AM
  #512  
wheelhot
Senior Member
 
wheelhot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,740

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts


This is how the Expert looks like, you can see 6 bolts on the hub and rotor



This is the Pro, notice the rotor looks different. It seems for 2018 models, only Pro onwards will come with IceTech rotors

Last edited by wheelhot; 09-14-17 at 07:30 AM.
wheelhot is offline  
Old 09-14-17, 08:54 AM
  #513  
kevlar_heart 
Helpless Bike Fiend
 
kevlar_heart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: White Plains, NY
Posts: 284

Bikes: 1989 Specialized Allez, 2004 Trek 7200, 2016 Cannondale CAADX Ultegra, 2017 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post
There's no 2017 Roubaix Sport, 2017 Roubaix starts with Elite > Comp > Expert > and so on

For 2018, apparently, it starts with Sport > Elite > Comp > Expert > and so on. The Sport comes at a lower price level than the 2017 Elite though it's specced without the CG-R seatpost and the frame is using Fact 9r instead of Fact10r found in Elite level and above (S-Works uses Fact11r, and Expert as well I think)

Sorry to hear about your previous bike
I own a 2017 Roubaix SL4 Sport....SL = slightly less (expensive). No suspension, still has Zertz inserts. Lousy pic, the hi rez versions too big for Forum
DSC_1135.jpg
__________________
Never give a gun to ducks No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.
kevlar_heart is offline  
Old 09-14-17, 09:36 AM
  #514  
matt92037
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Expert for sure uses center lock rotors. What you see in the pic on the expert are rivets, not rotor bolts.

Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

This is how the Expert looks like, you can see 6 bolts on the hub and rotor


This is the Pro, notice the rotor looks different. It seems for 2018 models, only Pro onwards will come with IceTech rotors
matt92037 is offline  
Old 09-14-17, 01:02 PM
  #515  
GeneO 
Cyclopath
 
GeneO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,134

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1, Felt 2012 F55X

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by matt92037 View Post
The Expert for sure uses center lock rotors. What you see in the pic on the expert are rivets, not rotor bolts.
Exactly what I thought.

Looks to be a RT68 icetech centerlock rotor.

Last edited by GeneO; 09-14-17 at 01:29 PM.
GeneO is offline  
Old 09-17-17, 08:20 AM
  #516  
wheelhot
Senior Member
 
wheelhot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,740

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kevlar_heart View Post
I own a 2017 Roubaix SL4 Sport....SL = slightly less (expensive). No suspension, still has Zertz inserts. Lousy pic, the hi rez versions too big for Forum
Attachment 580524
Hmm, isn't the 2017 Roubaix SL4 Sport is essentially the same specs as 2016 model?
wheelhot is offline  
Old 09-17-17, 08:25 AM
  #517  
wheelhot
Senior Member
 
wheelhot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,740

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matt92037 View Post
The Expert for sure uses center lock rotors. What you see in the pic on the expert are rivets, not rotor bolts.
Aaah, so it appears you're right. Those are Shimano RT68 , (thanks @GeneO), though looks like it's considered as SLX/105 level whereas 2017 models and 2018 Pro receives RT81 which is XT/Ultegra level. Seriously, why is it so hard for Specialized to do a full Ultegra level spec?
wheelhot is offline  
Old 09-17-17, 10:15 AM
  #518  
GeneO 
Cyclopath
 
GeneO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,134

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1, Felt 2012 F55X

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post
Aaah, so it appears you're right. Those are Shimano RT68 , (thanks @GeneO), though looks like it's considered as SLX/105 level whereas 2017 models and 2018 Pro receives RT81 which is XT/Ultegra level. Seriously, why is it so hard for Specialized to do a full Ultegra level spec?
I wouldn't doubt these bikes don't ship with those rotors. The picture of this bike has been around for some time and they aren't even shipping for a couple of months.
__________________
Manbearpig & Redtail
GeneO is offline  
Old 09-17-17, 03:40 PM
  #519  
kevlar_heart 
Helpless Bike Fiend
 
kevlar_heart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: White Plains, NY
Posts: 284

Bikes: 1989 Specialized Allez, 2004 Trek 7200, 2016 Cannondale CAADX Ultegra, 2017 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post
Hmm, isn't the 2017 Roubaix SL4 Sport is essentially the same specs as 2016 model?
I don't think anything "really" changed. The 2017 was the last of the non-shock bikes....so I've been told anyway. Rides like a demon now that I swapped wheels/tires.
__________________
Never give a gun to ducks No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.
kevlar_heart is offline  
Old 09-21-17, 07:12 PM
  #520  
chong67
Senior Member
 
chong67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 342

Bikes: Trek FX 7.4 + Sirrus Expert Carbon X1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want to get the Roubaix Pro at 6.5K. It got the Di2. But it will be 4.5 yrs from now. :-)
chong67 is offline  
Old 09-22-17, 08:02 PM
  #521  
SWorksRoubaix
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...s/road/roubaix

Curious what explains the $1500 spread between the three S-Works models as well as the additional $500 for Di2 (vs eTap).

Also, all 3 bikes were "developed in partnership with McLaren Applied Technologies", so not sure what's special about "S-Works Roubaix McLaren Dura-Ace Di2"
SWorksRoubaix is offline  
Old 09-22-17, 08:46 PM
  #522  
wheelhot
Senior Member
 
wheelhot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,740

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SWorksRoubaix View Post
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/me...s/road/roubaix

Curious what explains the $1500 spread between the three S-Works models as well as the additional $500 for Di2 (vs eTap).

Also, all 3 bikes were "developed in partnership with McLaren Applied Technologies", so not sure what's special about "S-Works Roubaix McLaren Dura-Ace Di2"
Supposedly the "S-Works Roubaix McLaren Dura-Ace Di2" is a limited edition to commemorate McLaren, it has nothing to do with being extra special or anything.

And all the 2017 Roubaix w/ FutureShock is developed in partnership with McLaren, apparently, only certain models have the sticker tag. Haha
wheelhot is offline  
Old 09-22-17, 09:38 PM
  #523  
SWorksRoubaix
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes ... only the 3 S-Works models have the McLaren sticker

Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post
Supposedly the "S-Works Roubaix McLaren Dura-Ace Di2" is a limited edition to commemorate McLaren, it has nothing to do with being extra special or anything.

And all the 2017 Roubaix w/ FutureShock is developed in partnership with McLaren, apparently, only certain models have the sticker tag. Haha
SWorksRoubaix is offline  
Old 09-22-17, 09:55 PM
  #524  
GeneO 
Cyclopath
 
GeneO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,134

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1, Felt 2012 F55X

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Anybody know about the 2018 pro. The description says it is 10r but the spec further down says it is 11r. I am thinking it must be 10r.
__________________
Manbearpig & Redtail
GeneO is offline  
Old 09-23-17, 01:49 AM
  #525  
wheelhot
Senior Member
 
wheelhot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,740

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix, 2007 Giant Anthem, Polygon Quatro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO View Post
Anybody know about the 2018 pro. The description says it is 10r but the spec further down says it is 11r. I am thinking it must be 10r.
2018 Roubaix Pro? the MSRP USD6,500 one? Then that model is the only non-SWorks model that uses 11r for its frame
wheelhot is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.