Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Truing -- What's standard tolerances for wobble

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-14-18, 07:18 PM
bikerbobbbb

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For lateral and radial wobble, how much is acceptable?

I see this Park Tools gauge supposedly measures to the hundredth of a millimeter.
https://www.parktool.com/product/dia...-stands-ts-2di

I think I was around a mm while truing a wheel today. When I stopped looking so closely I couldn't tell there was a wobble from farther back. Kind of a, "What the hell am I doing?" moment there. Good enough for now considering I've spent more time on that than I anticipated. More true = Less wear and tear? On previous times, I'm pretty sure I found the spot where the rim was welded together because there seemed to be a little bump there, across from the rim hole, that couldn't be adjusted with the spoke nipples.
Old 11-14-18, 07:32 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Rule of thumb is .5mm but thats pretty tight. Seems like your wheel is good to go.
Old 11-14-18, 07:38 PM
keithdunlop

Bikes: 1988 Bottecchia Professional (for Eroica), 2011 Ridley Noah ISP (retired), 2020 Soma Fog Cutter (daily commuter), 2021 Ridley Kanzo Adventure (gravel), 2022 Tideace Aero (main road bike).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 32 Posts
According to Park, "acceptable" true is less than 1.00 mm laterally and .5mm radially.
Old 11-14-18, 07:43 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
As mentioned in another ongoing thread here. 1mm for both is pretty close and if spoke tension evenness is worsened by closer run out then 1mm is good enough. Remember what's the neck of the proverbial hour glass. It's not a rim trued to 1mm... Andy
Old 11-14-18, 07:46 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
I'm sure it depends on the wheel and bike. For a 20" kid's bike with coaster brakes, maybe 1/8" or so.

@DOS is probably correct that 0.5mm is a good target, more or less for a road wheel. 0.25mm? I have had issues with a hop at the seam before, as @bikerbobbbb suggests. Sometimes touching the seam with a file will help.

My last truing, I got down to where I was seeing hop based on the right/left tension discrepancy of a dished wheel, so time to stop.

I'm still not great at getting perfectly even spoke tension, but as I get tighter tolerances, and ping the spokes, I think I can start getting more even tension.
Old 11-14-18, 07:55 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
As a standard for myself, I aim for + / - .002 inch.

Most wheels, whether it's basic and entry rims used, or high end rims, I can achieve this quite easily.

But often times, I'm compromising and sacrificing that and settling for + / - .003, .004 .005 up to .006

Reason is simple....relative tension between spokes each side is WAAAY more important than trueness.

Very rare is a rim that can be trued to + / - .001 or even .000 with all else well and equal. For most rims, trying to true a perfect wheel is to fight surface extrusion in the rim itself.

In other words, you're no longer truing the wheel...you're fighting surface defects.

"Hey molecule, get in line with the rest so I can have my perfectly trued wheel."

However, I will say that DT Swiss bare rims that are sold specifically for custom builds (not rims included in factory built wheels) are where I now most often see rims that can be trued in the + / - .000 to .001 ballpark.

DT Swiss bare rims for custom builds are simply top notch rims. DT Swiss quality is among the best, if not THE best.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 11-14-18, 08:54 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I figure that one mm is good enough since I've rarely seen a tire that doesn't have a wobble of about that much. At one time I was running some 38mm wide tires that just barely cleared the chain stays and I had to deliberately untrue the rim so that the tire edge ran true enough not to rub.
Old 11-14-18, 09:24 PM
mtbikerinpa
Shimano Certified

Bikes: 92 Giant Sedona ATX Custom

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Most of the new rims that we get in my shop can be trued pretty darn close other than the seam. Sometimes I sand/file the seam smooth out of ocd. High performance wheels can get into the .001 or so range but even close to that is splitting hairs. If I get within .020 or .010" its usually good for most users. On my personal trail bike that uses discs, I really don't mind 1mm if the spokes are tensioned solid. Stability is far more important structurally than an imperceivable hop in a rock garden.
Old 11-14-18, 09:35 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,912 Times in 2,544 Posts
I focus a lot more on even tensions and round than the wobble. If the tensions are significantly uneven, it will be an ongoing challenge to keep tat wheel true. Get the tensions good and that is a happy wheel even if it bugs me to look at it. A lot of rims are out of round at the joint, so I will compromise there on being as round as I would like.

Ben
Old 11-14-18, 09:51 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Peripherally related to the thread, these days when someone tells me about wheel problems, my first step is to check their spoke tensions by plucking the spokes. It's good to have a realistic tolerance goal for wheel truth so that people don't panic over a perfectly good wheel, even if we hold ourselves to a tighter tolerance when possible.

For me, it's partly pride, and partly wanting to improve my skills. Also, when someone spins one of my wheels (I work in a building full of engineers), it needs to look as good as a good commercial wheel.
Old 11-15-18, 06:56 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The rim will determine what is possible.

Lower cost rims are made by coiling an extrusion and cutting through the coil with a saw. If they don't account for the saw kerf, the rim will always have a bit of a flat spot at the seam. No amount of fiddling with spoke tensions will replace the metal cut away by the saw.
Old 11-15-18, 07:40 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by bikerbobbbb
I think I was around a mm while truing a wheel today. When I stopped looking so closely I couldn't tell there was a wobble from farther back.
I think you did well. (I've only built eight wheels so far, so take what I say w/that level of inexperience in mind). Forum posts used to have me convinced I needed to chase crazy tolerances, but real life experience has me thinking that less than a millimeter and even tensions are a better goal. If I can hold the wheel in my hands and spin it and not notice anything, then I'm probably going to be happy. I like to think I'm at about the 1/2 mm level on my most recent build. I'm just eyeballing the indicator gap though, so can't be precisely certain of the gap size.
Old 11-15-18, 07:57 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
If I achieve <1mm with good tensions, I quit. In most cases, tires will wobble more than that.
Old 11-15-18, 11:57 AM
Kovkov

Bikes: 1957 Alpa Special, 1963 Condor Delta, 1967 Tigra Sprint, 1977 Oltenia, 1987 Mondia, 1965 Staco de luxe, 1969 Amberg

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 43 Posts
My tolerances are those i don’t feel while riding.
Likes For Kovkov:
Old 11-15-18, 12:08 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
My truing stand isn't set up to measure radial or lateral wobble, so I don't true to any particular numbers.

What I'll do is true until slight movement to the calipers in and out result in either silence or a cacophony of clicks and scrapes that are too frequent and small to fix. I'm sure that's well below 1mm, but again, I don't have exact measurements.

As with others above, some rims (even premium-priced ones) have forced me to compromise a little on even tension or true, to keep one or the other from being horrible. The good news is that those wheels have been perfectly fine on the road, and only bug me when I have them on the stand with the tensiometer out.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-15-18, 01:09 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Touring bike..

On the road when I broke a rear spoke (1 out of 48, it was not significant),
I re-trued it to not touch the brake pads, and rode on
to where I could take off the gear cluster and replace the spoke,
with a spare I had with me..
then re trued it again.. to be like it was originally..
Old 11-15-18, 01:41 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Rim truing tolerance is more critical with rim brakes, obviously. With discs (or coaster or roller brakes) it's probably more a matter of esthetics.
Old 11-15-18, 01:55 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Or obsessiveness.. lots of that expressed here..

Mrrabit sells the wheels he builds , so he meets and exceeds what customers require..
Old 11-15-18, 03:46 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

[QUOTE=fietsbob;20664636]Or obsessiveness.. lots of that expressed here..
Hahahaha! And what's expressed is probably just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.
Old 11-15-18, 03:53 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
I shoot for .5 mm in both directions.
Old 11-15-18, 05:16 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by mrrabbit
As a standard for myself, I aim for + / - .002 inch.
Mr. Rabbit, I was going to say that's nuts, but...

Originally Posted by mrrabbit
5000+ wheels built since 1984...
Ok, when you've done something that many times, and you apply yourself, I guess you get good at it. I doubt anyone riding today would notice the difference between 0.002 and 0,004 inches (that's 0.05 and 0.1mm, btw). So this variation is way below the noise level of other stuff in biking. But if you can do it, great!

The other info in your post (specifically, that consistent spoke tension is as important if not more so than 0.001 or 0.002) was useful. Thanks!

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 11-15-18 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-15-18, 05:32 PM
nfmisso
Nigel

Bikes: 1980s and 1990s steel: CyclePro, Nishiki, Schwinn, SR, Trek........

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
Rim truing tolerance is more critical with rim brakes, obviously. With discs (or coaster or roller brakes) it's probably more a matter of esthetics.
exactly - and drum brakes.

I like my brake pads close to the rims, I just like the feel - so I go for even tension and tight tolerance. I can achieve ±.003" reliably on Velocity rims, not quite as good on Sun CR18 rims.
Old 11-16-18, 05:23 AM
sweeks

Originally Posted by nfmisso
exactly - and drum brakes.

I like my brake pads close to the rims, I just like the feel - so I go for even tension and tight tolerance.
My preference as well. It's more than just "feel" though... it's less frequent adjustment. :-)
(Roller brakes are drum brakes)
Old 11-16-18, 05:59 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Radial and lateral truing and equal tension all have to compromise. I usually get both truings to way under 1mm while keeping tension very even. If I get true to much under 1mm I lose some tension equality.
This is based on guesses since it is hard to measure 1 mm gap, I basically go by having "almost no gap". I notice that lateral trueness is limited by the decal sticker. I end up having it so true that the feelers just hit the sticker.

I noticed for new wheel with quality components it is easier to accomplish. i once trued Walmart steel rim wheels... let's not even go here.

For structural integrity I assume equal tension and radial trueness are more important than lateral trueness. Especially with disc brakes I'd be comfortable with 1mm out of lateral true if radial and tension are perfect.

In the end the tire is not perfect either.

It is an iteration. I start by getting it about lateral true and dished, then radial, then check tensions, adjust lateral and radial trueness and dish, then tension again..... and so on.
Old 11-16-18, 07:38 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
I notice that lateral trueness is limited by the decal sticker. I end up having it so true that the feelers just hit the sticker.
Hah! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has encountered that issue.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.