Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Caught on surveillance

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Caught on surveillance

Old 03-01-19, 11:51 AM
Hondo Gravel
Voted For Pedro

Bikes: Motobecane Boris Fatbike, Motobecane Omni Strada Pro,Fantom Pro CX, Fantom X7 MTB, Gravity SS MTB.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 66 Posts
Caught on surveillance

I cruise to Walmart I will be recorded then go fill gas recorded again then to the grocery store yes on surveillance again. Wash my truck at the car wash all caught on camera. Yes I’m boring So how many more cameras caught me today? Then I ride my bike in a rural area how many cameras caught me riding by a gate or a home in the boonies? I don’t particularly care I’m not doing anything wrong but once I think about it, it kind of freaks me out
Old 03-01-19, 12:06 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Bikes: Steel

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 132 Posts
First they came for my punctuation but I dont use punctuation so I did not speak out
Old 03-01-19, 12:11 PM
hazetguy 
Custom User Title

Bikes: are filling up my basement.

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 56 Posts
Welcome to 1984.
Old 03-01-19, 01:09 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2772 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
I, for one, welcome our new surveillance state overlords.

Semi-seriously, there are more advantages than disadvantages.

For example, better surveillance cameras would have clearly recorded the driver who hit me at an intersection last year. The one day in three years I didn't record video on my bike ride, which would clearly have shown I had a green light and the pedestrian crosswalk signal, both proving there's no way she should have been turning left against traffic. She was looking down, presumably at her phone, then later claimed "the sun was in her eyes." Like it's an excuse for driving while blind, although everyone else on that same street that afternoon somehow managed to avoid clobbering each other.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for up to three years for an insurance settlement because... something about bicycles should/should not be on (1) the street, (2) the sidewalk, (3) anywhere. And those ambulance and ER bills aren't going away by themselves.

Disadvantages? Sure, a few.

First off all, "privacy" is not a right in public. Never has been. Never should be. That's why we have different words for "private" and "public."

The most significant disadvantage would be the authorities misusing recordings of public activities to identify and harass people who are legally participating in public activities, including demonstrations and protests. That was already a risk and consequence of lawful public activities long before surveillance video. The FBI, government and local law enforcement systematically engaged in misusing surveillance to identify, harass and persecute people and organizations of whom they disapproved.

But that's a consequence of a broken government, not of surveillance itself.
Old 03-01-19, 01:30 PM
mtb_addict 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
being taped keep everyone honest.
Old 03-01-19, 01:34 PM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Bikes: Steel

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 132 Posts
Worked for Nixon.
Old 03-01-19, 05:18 PM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 44 Posts
When we got security cameras for my former condo building some people were pretty concerned and didn't want them covering areas they frequented. Then some of those people got upset when the cameras didn't record everywhere after we had a break in, especially if we didn't have a camera trained on their car/stuff etc...
Old 03-01-19, 05:20 PM
no motor?

Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
I, for one, welcome our new surveillance state overlords.

Semi-seriously, there are more advantages than disadvantages.

For example, better surveillance cameras would have clearly recorded the driver who hit me at an intersection last year. The one day in three years I didn't record video on my bike ride, which would clearly have shown I had a green light and the pedestrian crosswalk signal, both proving there's no way she should have been turning left against traffic. She was looking down, presumably at her phone, then later claimed "the sun was in her eyes." Like it's an excuse for driving while blind, although everyone else on that same street that afternoon somehow managed to avoid clobbering each other.

Meanwhile I'm waiting for up to three years for an insurance settlement because... something about bicycles should/should not be on (1) the street, (2) the sidewalk, (3) anywhere. And those ambulance and ER bills aren't going away by themselves.

Disadvantages? Sure, a few.

First off all, "privacy" is not a right in public. Never has been. Never should be. That's why we have different words for "private" and "public."

The most significant disadvantage would be the authorities misusing recordings of public activities to identify and harass people who are legally participating in public activities, including demonstrations and protests. That was already a risk and consequence of lawful public activities long before surveillance video. The FBI, government and local law enforcement systematically engaged in misusing surveillance to identify, harass and persecute people and organizations of whom they disapproved.

But that's a consequence of a broken government, not of surveillance itself.
They changed the law in Illinois to allow taping the cops, and the cops didn't like it at all. They didn't like the equality of it.
Old 03-01-19, 05:24 PM
Son_Rising

Bikes: Trek 1400, GT Zaskar USA, Specialized Sirrus, Origin8 Scout, Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Vitus Futural, Specialized Crossroads, Raleigh Tristar 3-speed, Sunny SF-B1423C

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Hiking is weird these days with all the trail cameras.
Old 03-01-19, 05:32 PM
hazetguy 
Custom User Title

Bikes: are filling up my basement.

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Worked for Nixon.

hahahaha, wow, thanks, i really needed that!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Originally Posted by Son_Rising View Post
Living is weird these days with all the cameras.
fixed that for you.
Old 03-01-19, 06:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2772 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
A few years ago our apartment complex had a problem with theft. We knew who it was (an ex-con resident and his associates). But the manager needed evidence. So they installed video cameras. First thing the thieves did was steal the video cameras. But to get close enough to steal the cameras they gave the recorded videos clear images of their faces. So they're gone now.

The new managers installed a better security system and nurtured more of a sense of community. Really helps when residents feel more involved, rather than isolated, alienated and disinterested in what happens around them.

My favorite occurred a few months ago when a guy, working as an in-home aide helping elderly and disabled folks, was recorded stealing. Apparently he was well known for the wrong reasons, pretending to be a good guy and church goer while stealing from clients. About 1/3 of the people who turned him in to police were family, friends and neighbors, tagging each other with laughing emojis saying "LOOKIT THIS FOOL NOW!!!". Their Facebook comments were priceless.

Best part about social media? The reckless narcissism it fosters. Hardly a week goes by without an entertaining case of self-surveillance by some dimwit recording himself/herself doing something illegal, then posting it online to brag and then getting busted.
Old 03-02-19, 10:41 AM
no motor?

When my former condo had some breakins the cops were interested in the videos. Even though they couldn't identify the suspects from them, the cops knew it would only be a matter of time until they got caught. And they were right.
Old 03-02-19, 11:28 AM
Sgvpicker

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Evo DURA-ACE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol
Old 03-02-19, 03:42 PM
clemsongirl 

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 47 Posts
our building is impossible to get into without being seen on our cctv cameras….coming into the 24 hour front desk, in the elevators and in the parking levels and we have 24 hour security watching those cameras, observing cars/people coming in the two car entrances, people coming in the three door entrances and they walk the garage levels and the outside of the building. I have no problem paying my share for that in the hoa fees.

i can also see how the city cctv programs, especially in places like London can desensitize a population to increasingly invasive mass surveillance. Encouraging the judgement of what’s normal, who is watching those cameras and why, should be part of there use too. I do strongly support the transparency and accountability of body cameras for police as they can illuminate the behaviours of officers for police and especially public scrutiny.

Last edited by clemsongirl; 03-02-19 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-02-19, 08:18 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 2171 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post

Best part about social media? The reckless narcissism it fosters. Hardly a week goes by without an entertaining case of self-surveillance by some dimwit recording himself/herself doing something illegal, then posting it online to brag and then getting busted.

indeed
Old 03-03-19, 01:05 PM
spinnaker
Every day a winding road

Bikes: 2005 Cannondale SR500, 2008 Trek 7.3 FX, Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 3354 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel View Post
I cruise to Walmart I will be recorded then go fill gas recorded again then to the grocery store yes on surveillance again. Wash my truck at the car wash all caught on camera. Yes I’m boring So how many more cameras caught me today? Then I ride my bike in a rural area how many cameras caught me riding by a gate or a home in the boonies? I don’t particularly care I’m not doing anything wrong but once I think about it, it kind of freaks me out
Brighten up an otherwise boring day for the observer. Pick your nose while on camera.

Last edited by spinnaker; 03-05-19 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-05-19, 09:56 AM
Will G

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And it is just going to get worse. Camera images are sifted through AI software to predict shoplifting.

https://www.bloombergquint.com/techn...al#gs.y3kDuUJL