"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Bike travel case

Old 11-16-18, 11:11 PM
Maaku

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My RoadMachine with hydraulic disc inside my Post Carry Co. case. No airline fees so far and it's fully protected.
www.postcarry.co

Old 11-17-18, 08:55 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Maaku View Post
My RoadMachine with hydraulic disc inside my Post Carry Co. case. No airline fees so far and it's fully protected.
www.postcarry.co

Just saw the video on your website. That is a lovely design. Sad that we have 2 Pikas AND 2 Orucases already, though, I am tempted to sell the Orus and buy these.

Issue is that I live in India and getting stuff here is always a hassle.
Old 04-03-19, 12:18 AM
Stebo81

Bikes: Cervelo R5, BMC Team Machine SLR01

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
What case not to use

I'm looking for a new case as well for an up coming trip from Sydney to Melbourne. I know what case i could not use ever again and that is the soft case from scicon - scicon aerocomfort.
I took my pride and joy over to Munich last year and returned home with a cracked carbon frame, broken front derailleur and 2 months of going through the insurance claims.
The scicon appealed to me initially because of the convenience. All i had to do to pack the bike from take the wheels off and place them in the side pockets. But convenience comes at a price.

Hard cases all the way from now on. Thanks for the recommendations in this thread it really helped me choose my next case.
Old 04-03-19, 06:41 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Stebo81 View Post
I'm looking for a new case as well for an up coming trip from Sydney to Melbourne. I know what case i could not use ever again and that is the soft case from scicon - scicon aerocomfort.
I took my pride and joy over to Munich last year and returned home with a cracked carbon frame, broken front derailleur and 2 months of going through the insurance claims.
The scicon appealed to me initially because of the convenience. All i had to do to pack the bike from take the wheels off and place them in the side pockets. But convenience comes at a price.

Hard cases all the way from now on. Thanks for the recommendations in this thread it really helped me choose my next case.
Hard cases are no foolproof protection or even more protection. With the power equipment used to transfer luggage, if it gets caught it will just as quickly lead to a
damaged bike. Bike manufacturers ship thousands upon thousands of bikes in nothing more than cardboard boxes.

With what the large hard cases cost to ship, doesnít take long to pay for a bike on most airlines either.

Solid heavy duty dropout protectors are key. As are cases where the forces are distributed. The more compact the case the less likely to get jammed in the luggage transport system. The more disassembled the bike is the better protected it will be.

Check our Orucase Airport Ninja.

Alao have your own quality insurance and donít depend on the airlines.

Generally airlines get it right. Itís far better now than it was even 10 years ago.

J.
Old 04-03-19, 07:47 PM
Doge 

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 2938 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Sometime this last year the major airlines changed their oversize freebie for military (my kid, I pay). I am complaining about the change, not their right to do it.
Weird though. They went from std 62" to 80" is free for military. Every airline varies, so a lot of reading.
United - on orders - Up to 115.0 linear inches (292cm) L + W + H
Not on orders - 62"

"On orders" is also a tricky.

So now I got to find smaller bags the existing were fee free.
https://postcarry.co/products/transfer-case
Old 04-03-19, 07:54 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Post Carry and the Orucase Airpoet Ninja are the two that I know of that successfully exploit the 62Ē rule. As well, because they arenít rectangular and both are slightly over the spec, baggage agents just pay attention to the weight (for workers comp injury reasons and fuel) and not so much the size.

J.
Old 04-04-19, 09:56 PM
Stebo81

Bikes: Cervelo R5, BMC Team Machine SLR01

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Check our Orucase Airport Ninja. - thanks for the recommendation, i'll check this one out as well.

Alao have your own quality insurance and don’t depend on the airlines. - i couldn't agree with you more. Pay the extra premium for travel insurance and have the bike fully covered. It also helps to get a repair quote from your local bike shop. This i think made the difference for me. The insurance paid out the repair costs of my 6 year old bike which was equal to the purchase cost of the bike back in 2012.