"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Should I quit racing?

Old 04-09-19, 09:46 PM
UmneyDurak
RacingBear

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Have you tried zwift?
Old 04-09-19, 10:35 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 495 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UmneyDurak View Post
Have you tried zwift?
You shut up
Old 04-10-19, 06:33 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
I guess I'm weird then. I don't mind training just to see what I can do. Doesn't have to be one my one of my pitiful low number of two races per year. It's just more fun to be fast. I can see and experience more on a ride (or a run) being faster or more capable.

How is a 1 mile jog around the same block any fun? Now if I can run a 10k no problem and venture out further or into parks/trails more.....more opportunity. Same on the bike. If a metric century is nothing, all sorts of local possibilities open up.

A new PR on a 1.5mi hilly neighborhood loop, same loop but as a 10mi route, PR's on the TT bike, hit up the mountains again sometime for some climb PR's, repeat a fondo for a PR on finish time, beat 2 hours on a duathlon, bag a top 10 on a really legit local segment.........etc....

I can entertain myself plenty.

In the car world of tuning imports, you learn real quick you will NEVER be the fastest. Both money and time input. Money to the car and time at the track. You get content with smaller goals or other fun targets instead.

That 1.8 4-cylinder was never going to make 800whp, but I got it close to 500whp on 93 octane.

Same with me on the bike. I won't ever be a P/1/2 racer, but I can certainly work towards breaking 22min for a 10mi TT, then 21.5. I'll likely never see 20min or less.

But, I've gotta try to break 23min first. I've broken 24.
Old 04-10-19, 09:31 AM
aaronmcd

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^ if you are hitting PRs that's one thing. I hit all my PRs within a year of starting.

Also riding a hundred on saturday isn't a big deal. It takes very little training to do that compared to race training. Just ride a half decent amount for a month and give yourself enough time before the sun sets. Training for racing is like 10x harder.
Old 04-10-19, 10:37 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd View Post
^ if you are hitting PRs that's one thing. I hit all my PRs within a year of starting.

Also riding a hundred on saturday isn't a big deal. It takes very little training to do that compared to race training. Just ride a half decent amount for a month and give yourself enough time before the sun sets. Training for racing is like 10x harder.
When I first started riding, I would do something like 1000 miles before August 100 mile century ride (hotter than hell). And doing 20mph average for that was my big achievement. Now resuming riding again years later, and getting racing scene (cat 3). I'm 100x more fit and fast than I was back then. The difference between your good rec rider vs. racer is quite large. It takes a lot of work to increase FTP from 220w to 300w.
Old 04-10-19, 10:57 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Not for nothing Aaron but if all of your PRs were set in your first year of riding and you've been following your own plan, isn't that an argument in favor of being coached? If you ever choose to jump back in might be something to consider.
Old 04-10-19, 12:13 PM
aaronmcd

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin View Post
Not for nothing Aaron but if all of your PRs were set in your first year of riding and you've been following your own plan, isn't that an argument in favor of being coached? If you ever choose to jump back in might be something to consider.
Ha yeah maybe, but idk if I could trust a coach. Unless maybe I interview them with questions like, "what do you think of short cranks?" Lol. Or "can you get more aero on a TT bike vs a road bike setup in the same position down to the last mm? If so, how come physics breaks down?" Or, "why are my glutes weak af?"