Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

Podcasts

Old 11-09-18, 10:16 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Just started listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History Blueprint for Armageddon I. It's about WWI, its lead up and how warfare had changed in the 99 yrs since the previous wars involving the worlds major powers (Napoleonic wars). Pretty fascinating stuff.
Old 11-14-18, 12:32 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2772 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
Missing Richard Simmons was better than I'd expected, mostly for the wrong reasons. In part it's an example of how *not* to do a journalistic podcast. The creator/producer/investigator is too personally invested, asks the wrong questions, fails to ask the right questions, yet somehow manages to make it compelling. In the end it's a lesson in the burden of celebrity. Worth a listen for that reason alone.
Old 11-14-18, 02:40 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2811 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 54 Posts
I used to be a big fan of late night take shows and radio broadcast. Once that went out of favor I never really expanded to podcasts. I do watch Rogan's youtube vids every now and then but I think I grew out of it. I do still learn a great deal from the guest's specialty knowledge.
Old 11-14-18, 05:58 AM
Wilmingtech

Bikes: 2013 Ridley Helium, 2017 Blue Pro-Secco EX, 1987 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Cyclingtips podcasr
This American Life
Car Talk - You can still listen to the archives

Most of the other podcasts I listen to have already been mentioned.
Old 11-17-18, 11:31 AM
Kedosto
Ambulophobic

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 55 Posts
Just stumbled onto this thread. I really enjoy listening to podcasts during my commute and I'm a "rain or shine" kinda guy, so I listen to a lot of podcasts. I have little tolerance for amateurish production values or low quality subjects. Here's my current list -

This American Life - What can be said about TAL that hasn't already be said. Simply the best of the best. Three stories on a theme, excellent production quality, really sets the podcast bar.

Snap Judgement - Think TAL with an urban vibe. Produced locally with very high quality and interesting subjects. Great bumper music beats.

RadioLab - Nourishment for an info junkies soul. Clever, interesting, thought provoking. Never a dull subject.

Reply All - "A podcast about the internet..." An internet based look at modern society, hosted by a couple of good guys.

Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! - Comedy quiz/game show focused on current events. Light, funny, a great mental diversion.

99% Invisible - A look at the invisible forces that affect our lives. Design, architecture and more. Produced here in Oakland.

Freakonomics Radio - An exploration of social, behavioral, micro and macro economics that affect our world. Interesting and informative.

The Daily - A New York Times podcast. Current news and events. (Sometimes a little too heavy on the emotional drama for my taste)

Embedded - Take a news story and dig deeper. Do they go deep enough? Not always.

Decoder Ring - Cultural issues; what they mean and why they matter. They're new at this but so far, so good.

Heavyweight - Jonathan Goldman's wry sense of humor flavors stories of people getting the chance for a "do over."

Rough Translation - How the news and current events we're talking about here are being talked about elsewhere in the world. It's not always about us.

-Kedosto

Last edited by Kedosto; 11-18-18 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-20-18, 05:14 AM
KraneXL

Sometimes Joe is spot on, other times he's in left field. I don't listen to anything when I go riding. I prefer to see stuff. Besides, there's just to many hazards to risk the distraction in the big city. Maybe if I were riding on a closed-course?
Old 12-20-18, 12:12 PM
smoore

Bikes: Primary ride now a LOOK 585-Love it.

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
No...never listen to anything while riding. I don't understand how anyone could ride on road and feel safe while doing so?
Old 02-13-19, 08:20 AM
londonist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My favorite murder - very niche though
Old 02-28-19, 06:14 PM
no motor?

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Just started listening to Dan Carlin's Hardcore History Blueprint for Armageddon I. It's about WWI, its lead up and how warfare had changed in the 99 yrs since the previous wars involving the worlds major powers (Napoleonic wars). Pretty fascinating stuff.
I listened to that over the summer and was fascinated by it. The whole series is over a days worth of shows and I tried to make sure I could make it to the end of an episode to avoid loosing my place on the lousy MP3 player I used when listening to it.
Old 02-28-19, 09:18 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by smoore View Post
No...never listen to anything while riding. I don't understand how anyone could ride on road and feel safe while doing so?
That's where your choice of music comes in. You choose "riding" music something where you won't get to engaged. I have a transistor radio but have yet to ever use it. Wired headphones are illegal, and so would add an extra level of difficulty in proving innocence in the event of a traffic mishap.
Old 03-01-19, 09:33 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
I listened to that over the summer and was fascinated by it. The whole series is over a days worth of shows and I tried to make sure I could make it to the end of an episode to avoid loosing my place on the lousy MP3 player I used when listening to it.
I've made it through Episode IV so far. It's fascinating, although his descriptions of the carnage during trench warfare at Verdun and the Somme gets a bit nauseating at times.
Old 03-01-19, 11:24 AM
no motor?

Yeah, it's pretty graphic. I listened to most of it sitting on the couch by my cat. She could tell I was reacting to something bad even if she didn't know exactly what I was reacting to.
Old 03-01-19, 12:17 PM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Surly Trucker, Wednesday, Trek Verve Plus

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kentucky Sports Radio - Sports, politics, and local stories.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

The Sprocket Podcast - Cycling related

FATBIKE.COM

Singletracks - Mountain Biking

Behind the Handlebars

Bald Move - Movies and entertainment

Plant Talk

KBOO Bike Show
Old 03-08-19, 03:20 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor? View Post
Yeah, it's pretty graphic. I listened to most of it sitting on the couch by my cat. She could tell I was reacting to something bad even if she didn't know exactly what I was reacting to.
That was a lot of sitting for you and kitty. The posters here piqued my interest in these podcasts about WW1 so I went to the Dan Carlin site and downloaded the six episodes of Blueprint for Armageddon; 1.24 GB and 23:06:50 length. I will probably listen to them on a long cross country drive.
Old 03-08-19, 03:30 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
I've made it through Episode IV so far. It's fascinating, although his descriptions of the carnage during trench warfare at Verdun and the Somme gets a bit nauseating at times.
I've been to Verdun. The battlefield is more cratered (from artillery) than the Moon; there isn't 3 feet of level ground anywhere. The Douaumont Ossuary at Verdun holds the remains of more than 130,000 unknown French and German soldiers from the WWI battle in Verdun. Visitors can see the massive pile of bones inside through exterior windows on the structure.
Old 03-08-19, 08:01 PM
no motor?

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
That was a lot of sitting for you and kitty. The posters here piqued my interest in these podcasts about WW1 so I went to the Dan Carlin site and downloaded the six episodes of Blueprint for Armageddon; 1.24 GB and 23:06:50 length. I will probably listen to them on a long cross country drive.
oh yeah, we did it in stages.
Old 03-11-19, 08:26 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
I've been to Verdun. The battlefield is more cratered (from artillery) than the Moon; there isn't 3 feet of level ground anywhere. The Douaumont Ossuary at Verdun holds the remains of more than 130,000 unknown French and German soldiers from the WWI battle in Verdun. Visitors can see the massive pile of bones inside through exterior windows on the structure.
I'm not surprised from his description of the effects of the artillery there - craters, blood, guts, excrement, gas, etc. Just a massive bloodbath.
Old 04-25-19, 01:23 AM
atsui

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BBC podcasts and others for improving my english skills
Old 04-25-19, 01:56 AM
phile

Bikes: van moof dropdown, btwin triban 100

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
this right here is a ****ing masterpiece of historical analysis and storytelling. everyone should give at least one episode a listen.

also seconding 99% invisible from a few posts back

and also on my list:

last podcast on the left - true crime and paranormal the guys behind it are really funny
imaginary worlds analysis and history of various forms of fiction
lore - slightly odd history/stories
Old 04-25-19, 08:04 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 341 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 25 Posts
@atsui what BBC podcasts are you listening to?

My most recent find? Business Wars. All about competition between business titans. Think McDonald's vs Burger, Hasbro vs Matel, etc. Very interesting listening.