Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Klein

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-19, 12:40 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,979 Times in 1,616 Posts
Just in case any Klein fans haven't seen this:

MyHistoryOfKleinRoadBikes

Performance model was offered with at various times with Victory, Ultegra, or Chorus or DuraAce.

My Quantum Pro is still my best bike and main ride at 21 years old and I have hardly any motivation to get something newer.

Built it up from a bare, unused frame: 1998 model in 2003, picked every single component... replaced almost all of them since then too.

Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 05-02-19, 02:33 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
You guys know that's the bike as-bought, right? All the 'touch points' like the seat, bars, tape, are whatever the previous owner wanted. I'd probably change a lot of that,too.

For that bike, for less than $200, complete? I can live with it not being 'perfect' (at least until i can change it)
$200 ! ! ! ? ? ?

Now, it is more than awesome. What's better than awesome? Awesomest?
Old 05-04-19, 08:32 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Performance model was offered with at various times with Victory, Ultegra, or Chorus or DuraAce.
Nice link, and thanks. My Performance was pre-drilled on the ST for a direct-bolt Suntour Superbe Pro FD. The BB is press-fit, so I never bothered to see what brand it was, but it's symmetrical.

Which made it difficult to think about. Why Superbe Pro, and double, on a "touring" setup? Very little range in that. Just two more challenges in building this bike, which was, without a doubt, THE most challenging build I've done.

1-Shifter mounts. I'm no machinist, but that would have helped.
2-Shift cable routing. All I can say is WTF?
3-BB (luckily, it was like new) Left it alone.
4-Finding a triple crankset for a symmetrical BB. I'd been lucky to remember a previous build with RSX 7-sp.
5-Finding and shimming a compact triple FD to fit the odd ST diameter (I used brass), FD is a 7730.
6-27.4 seat post (again, thanks to @nesteel)
7-still working on fenders. 28's won't fit with fenders.

It was worth every bad word I said while I built it.
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Just in case any Klein fans haven't seen this:

MyHistoryOfKleinRoadBikes

My Quantum Pro is still my best bike and main ride at 21 years old and I have hardly any motivation to get something newer.
Built it up from a bare, unused frame: 1998 model in 2003, picked every single component... replaced almost all of them since then too.
I can easily understand why Klein owners keep them and update the components as needed. I ride Thunder Ridge each year, and a guy on a "chameleon" orange Klein has been there 6 years in a row, and went from 7700 to 7800 and now is at 9000 in components. He climbs right up that mountain. That's one of those bikes where people riding by ask "is that carbon?"

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 05-04-19 at 08:35 AM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 05-04-19, 09:42 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Gary's dumping of waste & toxic paint near his shop earned him a Super Fund site demerit ..
Old 05-04-19, 09:52 AM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes

I can easily understand why Klein owners keep them and update the components as needed. I ride Thunder Ridge each year, and a guy on a "chameleon" orange Klein has been there 6 years in a row, and went from 7700 to 7800 and now is at 9000 in components. He climbs right up that mountain. That's one of those bikes where people riding by ask "is that carbon?"
I had a guy say something like that when he arrived at a stop point after a sprint. He scans my bike and says, that is aluminum!!!???
Old 05-04-19, 12:54 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Gary's dumping of waste & toxic paint near his shop earned him a Super Fund site demerit ..
I didn't know that.
Old 05-04-19, 01:57 PM
Cycle Tourist

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Looks every bit as good as a pre-canti Cannonade ST. I've been looking at Kleins for the last couple years, but haven't seen a tourer for sale before.

Any idea what year it is? Looks like early 90s Deore on there, but I'm no expert on that timeline.

Right. 92 maybe 93. I've got some barend shifters coming.
I'm retiring my touring bike to someone moving to South Dakota so it's down to the Dale and the Klein, two bikes i could never touch when I was their age. I must say they held up better than I have..😆
Old 05-04-19, 02:06 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
That frame is awesome!

How long are the crank arms on that bike? In the first photo, they appear to be so long as to not afford any reasonable lean angle while pedaling.

I do not care for the seat post, the seat, the stem, the bars, the white tape, the grey cables, the pump and its location. The rear rack using P-clamps around that beautiful paint when there appears to be two lugs meant for rack attachment is bugging me.

The frame is worthy of better.
I know what you mean. One of the braze ons will not unscrew. I tried pulling and twisting. No go. I rewrapped the clamps with rubber tape. The front forks had no braze ons so the clamps are nesssesary. I like having them so they stay with all the care I can bestow to the frame.
Old 05-04-19, 02:11 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by Bad Lag
I just thought I'd offer a critique, something the OP could think about. Sometimes we don't see things the same way others see them.

No matter, I still like the frame.

The crank arm in that first pic looks like it would barely clear the ground when fully upright. Are they really THAT long? How long are they?
Only 175. My Dale came with 180 on the 63cc frame.
Old 05-04-19, 02:13 PM
Cycle Tourist

Originally Posted by Feldman
What's your old touring bike? Possibly, two touring bikes aren't too much, besides a Klein Performance is something that's different from a pure touring bike and totally worth having on its own. I worked at a shop that sold Klein all through their existence, ca. 1982-2005, and the Performance was my favorite aluminum bike ever. You totally scored!
My old touring bike. It's a Nashbar frame. The only components that stayed: the seatpost, the wheels and the levers, shifters and the handlebars reamerged after trying a butterfly for a year.

Last edited by Cycle Tourist; 05-04-19 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 05-04-19, 03:32 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
Enjoy that lovely Klein for many years and tours!

I rode and loved, mostly, a ‘92 Klein Performance ordered from Chehalis as a frame set. More than 35,000 miles over eleven years with so many club rides, lots of centuries+ including meeting my now-wife on the STP, two 3-week credit-card tours in Europe (one was our honeymoon) and more around the PNW. It is a phenomenal touring bike - extremely stable with a substantial load, and it never felt out of place in fast rides, either.

It’s my adult son’s bike now and better fit for him, and the deep candy red paint still gets compliments. The “mostly” part was the too-small size (should have gone for 62cm), limited tire clearance and slightly harsh ride. Thankfully they’d gone to 130mm rear spacing and conventional lever mounts so upgrades over the years were pretty easy.

Here’s when younger and more flexible me first assembled it with 7-speed Suntour friction, but always with those Ritchey triple cranks (Chehalis supplied the correct BB length for them). It soon got my still-favorite Sachs Ergo 8-speed brifters as in this (sorry, non-drive side) shot in Italy.

Old 05-10-19, 05:00 PM
Cycle Tourist

Thanks guys. It's great to join the Klein Klub. The rivnut got recrimped, the clamps put in the parts bin, the saddle got replaced with a Brooks team pro and the DT got swapped to Suntour barends. I'm still deciding about the suspension seat post and I'm in no rush to change the tape. It does look a little like something I dug outta my first aid kit😂 but I can live with it for awhile. Oh, the FD was pretty rusted so it sports a unknown brand new one.(sunrace?) I know it's not a typical touring bike but I think it would be just fine with a smaller granny when or if I take off for an extended tour.
Old 08-15-19, 09:41 PM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I know many of the Pre-2000 Kleins have funky steerer tube dims and/or headsets and stems. But I’ve also read that some Kleins have bottom brackets that are wider than 68 mm or press fit.

Anything else? Funky seat post dimensions? Are most 90’s road bike Kleins 130 mm rear dropout spacing?

What pitfalls await someone wanting to build up a vintage Klein frameset?