Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on this? May be a scam.

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Old 05-11-19, 04:58 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2418 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got an email from a company that sells on amazon. The email said if I buy this I can get a 100% rebate. The email included a link so I clicked it and it took me to the amazon page. I wrote the company who sent the email and asked about it and they said as long as I give them good reviews on the item they would give me my rebate. Legit?
Old 05-11-19, 05:54 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6365 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
Only if the product is good... why lie on reviews?
Old 05-11-19, 06:04 AM
cb400bill
Administrator

Bikes: Fuji SL 2.1 (carbon fiber), Pinarello Stelvio (steel), Cannondale Synapse (aluminum)

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 28 Posts
I can't tell you whether your offer is legit or not, but the practice of buying positive reviews is a long time problem that Amazon seems to turn a blind eye to.
Old 05-11-19, 06:13 AM
richosti

Bikes: 1974 peugeot noveau folding (restored), 2016 polygon helios a9x, vivente world randonneur patagonia, merida e one twenty 500, new unidentified steel frame??

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it sounds too good to be true??
Old 05-11-19, 06:17 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I have had two different companies on Amazon pure outright hassle me to leave good reviews, after having poor product and poor service from them.
In one case I got a light timer from the company Century. They broke mere hours after I got them. I left a poor review and returned them for warranty exchange (they wouldn't refund). I got the replacements and of those I had a 50% failure rate over the course of a year. Anyway, after I got the replacement they send me probably 50 emails asking me to go change my review. I had to block them to make it stop even after I had told them time and time again that I would not cover the truth of the matter.

Very similar situation with another company that sent me an incorrect item and then gave me hassle not only with the return process, but with the exchange and refund process...up until I left them a poor review. After that they were practically jumping through hoops to attempt to make it right. I simply filed for the refund via Amazon themselves.

It saddens me to know that when I am searching and reviewing products there, based on review, that so many of them are falsified. Really takes the whole point of the process away.

Off of Amazon I had a similar situation with a bicycle shop I dealt with. I ordered some of the bags that go on the rail with the quick connect (the name won't come to me right now) and they showed one product as being the "XL" bag for under the seat, which would have held my phone. The one they sent was just the "Large" bag, and wouldn't. I left them a poor review for the mix up after they simply refused to acknowledge the issue on their end at all. They came back and deleted my review to their page. Bike shop out of New York that does a lot of online stuff now.

Last edited by Juan Foote; 05-11-19 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-11-19, 08:08 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX, 5200 & 7700

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
My first question would be... is what they're selling actually something you need? How did they get your name? Then I would report them to Amazon.

When buying online one of my biggest criteria is can I return it without any hassle? Will the shipping be efficient? That is why I usually only buy consumables from Amazon. When I need anything else I try to make my purchases from a handful of proven vendors that I have a history with.

Believing online reviews or giving them too much weight in your decision may not be the best of ideas. I find that at least 40% (or at least a large majority) of negative reviews are from people complaining about something that was either their fault in not properly assessing what they were purchasing or they're just plain nutty. Initially, I see no reason to give someone a negative review if they are willing to accept a return and either refund your money or send you a replacement..
Old 05-11-19, 12:53 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 6365 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post
My first question would be... is what they're selling actually something you need? How did they get your name? Then I would report them to Amazon.

When buying online one of my biggest criteria is can I return it without any hassle? Will the shipping be efficient? That is why I usually only buy consumables from Amazon. When I need anything else I try to make my purchases from a handful of proven vendors that I have a history with.

Believing online reviews or giving them too much weight in your decision may not be the best of ideas. I find that at least 40% (or at least a large majority) of negative reviews are from people complaining about something that was either their fault in not properly assessing what they were purchasing or they're just plain nutty. Initially, I see no reason to give someone a negative review if they are willing to accept a return and either refund your money or send you a replacement..
"I had a hard time getting it out of the box... so 2 stars..."
Old 05-11-19, 01:50 PM
BenzFanatic

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The fake reviews and bought reviews are going to be the downfall of Amazon. Having the most reliable feedback system was what made them great in their pre-prime days. I wouldn't do it both out of wariness of a scheme and out of principle.
Old 05-11-19, 02:27 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 157 Post(s)
Quoted: 2773 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 116 Posts
Yeah, I've received similar email requests from Amazon vendors/manufacturers. I told them I'd write an honest review. My reviews were generally in the 3 or 4 star range. None of those sellers asked me to review another product. But I got my rebate and my conscience is clear.

I can understand the desperation for good reviews. Amazon's inadequate system doesn't hurt consumers so much as it does sellers and manufacturers. Some unscrupulous sellers game the system to the detriment of other sellers. This hinders consumer choices and the online economy. Amazon needs to sort out that problem.

I've always taken Amazon reviews with a dose of salts. I'll check the Fakespot evaluation site to get a rough idea of how credible the reviews are. And I'll read a smattering of all reviews, from best to worst, to see if they pass the sniff test. If the low reviews are due to silly stuff like complaints about packaging that didn't affect the quality of the actual product, I dismiss those reviews. Same with 5 star reviews without specifics.

Reviews are crucial to some businesses. A friend runs his own highly specialized business and is very web savvy about marketing. He emphasizes the importance of Google, both as a business owner and as a consumer. I've learned a few tips just from listening to him. But he mostly disregards Yelp and other review sites. Google ranking is the important deal, not the others.
Old 05-11-19, 02:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

BTW, another example of how Amazon's inadequate AI-driven system hurts sellers and, ultimately, consumers...

Last summer I got a heads up via Facebook about a rebate for Przewalski bike shorts with 3D padding sold through Amazon. With the rebate the price was only $5. Apparently the ad targeted only a relative handful of Prime subscribers who'd purchased lots of bike stuff through Amazon.

The shorts were very good (and still are, after many rides and washings). I left a glowing review, one of the few 5 star reviews I've posted on Amazon.

And Amazon rejected the review as a "shill". Apparently their dumb-bots spotted too many 5 star reviews and assumed they were fakes. And there was no effective appeal process, either to get my review reviewed and approved, or for the vendor.

That seriously sucks. If I were a seller I'd be outraged.

Recent business media sites have reported that Amazon does a lot more human-driven oversight than they'd led us to believe. For a few years Amazon has touted its AI process for efficiency and objectivity. But it turns out they still rely on human employees to review the effectiveness of Alexa and other features. The problem is that the contractor doing the evaluations is in India. Unless the employees are thoroughly familiar with a variety of American regional idiomatic expressions and accents, how could they possibly rate the effectiveness of a voice driven AI like Alexa?

Some business and tech journalists considered this to be a privacy issue. I don't. I consider it a stupid business issue. I'd already assumed Google and Amazon were listening to everything my phones and computers pick up, along with the NSA and every hacker in Russia and China. So, no surprise that there's a human behind the curtain posing as the Wizard of AmOzon. But I'm surprised they'd contract out the parsing of vocal nuances to some place other than the U.S. Language is language, whether spoken or coded into the ghost in the machine. It makes no sense to hire coders who aren't experts in the language.
Old 05-11-19, 02:45 PM
coffeesnob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime View Post

The product is a pair of headphones. I assume they got my name off of Amazon because I bought a similar pair ( quality,price) last December off of another company so I imagine they know what my interests are and that is why I was chosen for a rebate. I don't need another set of headphones but for free I can always use them. I agree you have to filter the reviews. Thanks all for the replies. I'll post my follow up later in a week or two.
Old 05-13-19, 09:13 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat View Post
The shorts were very good (and still are, after many rides and washings). I left a glowing review, one of the few 5 star reviews I've posted on Amazon.

And Amazon rejected the review as a "shill". Apparently their dumb-bots spotted too many 5 star reviews and assumed they were fakes. And there was no effective appeal process, either to get my review reviewed and approved, or for the vendor.

That seriously sucks. If I were a seller I'd be outraged.
I would email the text of the review to the seller, and let them take it up with Amazon,
Old 05-13-19, 10:31 AM
coffeesnob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I decided not to purchase the head phones.
Old 05-13-19, 07:41 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by RubeRad View Post
I would email the text of the review to the seller, and let them take it up with Amazon,
Yup, did that last year. No idea if there was any resolution. Some vendors have complained that Amazon ignores their appeals for resolution of problems such as fake bad reviews, etc.

I might dig up that review and try to post it again.