Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

Rate the last movie you watched

Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

Rate the last movie you watched

Old 05-06-19, 09:21 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I watched Deadpool 2 last night. I'm not much for comic book movies, but they poke fun at themselves and that makes it enjoyable. 7/10.
Old 05-06-19, 09:26 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
We watched Crazy Rich Asians over the weekend (my wife's choice). I found it pretty cliched and predictable, but at least the actors were a lot more diverse that I'm used to seeing (plus, I love Ken Jeong). Had it been made with white people and set in Connecticut, I totally could have seen it being a Lifetime or Netflix originals movie.
Old 05-06-19, 09:44 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2807 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecrate View Post
I watched Deadpool 2 last night. I'm not much for comic book movies, but they poke fun at themselves and that makes it enjoyable. 7/10.
Now you see I never understood that since when you think about it comic book movies are just extension of real-life stories and events.

I think Spiderman represents this better than any of the other characters. He has super strength but otherwise just a normal youth with growing teenager relationships, issues and problems.

As for Deadpool, he's one of "comics" of the comic book genre. And since its a comedy (vulgar comedy), most people can relate to it. Not the highest testament to society when you consider it is one of the most successful movies of the group.

Of course, movie watching and enjoyment depends on individual taste, so no explanation is necessary for what someone like or does not like.
Old 05-08-19, 10:45 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
Of course, movie watching and enjoyment depends on individual taste, so no explanation is necessary for what someone like or does not like.
Try to keep that in mind before you badger another poster for an explanation of their like/dislike/rating of a movie or book.
Old 05-08-19, 10:34 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike View Post
Try to keep that in mind before you badger another poster for an explanation of their like/dislike/rating of a movie or book.
Badger? You really need to open your mind more. It was a question, and is part of the exchange I remember from school, the point of which I think you've forgotten. And as I recall you claim to be fawned of classic movies, so I'm astounded that you would say something like that.

Have you ever taken a cinema appreciation course? Would it surprise you to know that its a lot more than just a class to watch movies?

You have to write papers (6-8 pg.) and give presentations on those movie telling what learned and/or found interesting about them. The students are encouraged to ask questions. So you'll have to excuse me if my expectations are beyond the limited scope you expect.

If one word or one sentence is all someone wants to share that's their choice, but would you be encouraged to go out and watch (or not see) that movie?

My goal here is to expand my perspective of film from the posts of others; and hopefully, to learn some new that I didn't understand or notice before. That's the point of my question.
Old 05-09-19, 06:20 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1330 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
This used to be a low key place for people to mention movies they liked until you came in and started attacking people's choices and complaining when they didn't provide enough details (or details that satisfied you) about the movies they'd watched.
Old 05-09-19, 07:24 AM
KraneXL

One question does not constitute badger and neither is an inquiry an attack or a complaint. I also assume the person posting isn't in first grade. But if someone doesn't want to answer a question they're free to say so or just ignore the post. I even made that much clear in my post. Even so, there's no rule against asking a question.
Old 05-13-19, 07:52 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Bikes: '06 Novara Divano, '96 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Incredibles 2. 7/10. It was entertaining but nowhere near as good as the first one.
Old 05-13-19, 11:19 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Incredibles 2. 7/10. It was entertaining but nowhere near as good as the first one.
That so often is the case. In fact, I can't instantly think of more than a few squeals that were better than their original. Although many are rated successful by their box office draw (the result of the original), rather than the actually quality of the production.

I'm probably more discrimination than many, but I look for substance, story and some continuity to the original (I appreciate maintaining the original main cast). Very important I think for a sequel, and goes beyond just pure entertainment.

Although what may be associated with the improvements of some sequels is mostly bigger budgets and subsequently better special effects, locations, cast, technology, etc. .

Still, the are exceptions when budgets are cut in some places, such as X-men where the original had a much better sound track (THX) which they discontinued in subsequent film. Even so, no amount of effect wizardry can overcome a bad story.

Most viewers don't care that much about sound, but for me, that's the only reason I still go to the movies. I always check the sound system when I choose a theater. Not that important in a drama, but can play a big part in an action/adventure film.

Of course, there are those films with multiple sequels, where film 3 may be better then 2 or the original, but that's a whole different discussion all on its own.

Here's my top favorite sci-fi part II, that I felt did better than their original. Do you have a list? What do you think?

T-2
X-men II
Blade II
Aliens
Jurassic Park II
Matrix II
Old 05-13-19, 11:10 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

The Snowman, based on the Jo Nesbø novel featuring the Norwegian detective Harry Hole. Though the critics panned it, my wife and I enjoyed watching it on a BluRay from the library. 8/10.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I enjoyed it more than the last time I saw it back in its theatrical release in 1966. Back then it was a real disappointment as a follow up to the outstanding For a Few Dollars More. This time, the restored film on DVD looked outstanding and I accepted the movie on its own merits without comparing it to its predecessor. 8/10.
Old 05-14-19, 02:22 AM
KraneXL

Glass

I could fill a database on all the things that was wrong with this movie, and why I didn't like it. Suffice it to say there's a reason why it went from theatrical release to Amazon in less than 4 months.

In the original Willis and Jackson played lead roles. In the sequel, they're merely supporting characters.

On the other hand, it did have one redeeming quality: James McAvoy and his brilliant portrayal of Kevin Wendell Crumb, a character with a multiple personality disorder. Is it worth watching just for that reason alone? No, it is not. 5/10.

Last edited by KraneXL; 05-14-19 at 04:49 AM.
Old 05-14-19, 04:29 AM
ooga-booga
lead on macduff!

Bikes: come and get 'em

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 23 Posts
The Snowman, based on the Jo Nesbø novel featuring the Norwegian detective Harry Hole. Though the critics panned it, my wife and I enjoyed watching it on a BluRay from the library. 8/10.

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. I enjoyed it more than the last time I saw it back in its theatrical release in 1966. Back then it was a real disappointment as a follow up to the outstanding For a Few Dollars More. This time, the restored film on DVD looked outstanding and I accepted the movie on its own merits without comparing it to its predecessor. 8/10.
wow...over fifty years since you last watched it. that's a decent amount of water under the bridge. some questionable inclusions/edits but still a classic of the genre. still like lee van cleef's role/performance the best.
Old 05-14-19, 10:25 AM
colorider
smorenivore

That so often is the case. In fact, I can't instantly think of more than a few squeals that were better than their original. Although many are rated successful by their box office draw (the result of the original), rather than the actually quality of the production.

I'm probably more discrimination than many, but I look for substance, story and some continuity to the original (I appreciate maintaining the original main cast). Very important I think for a sequel, and goes beyond just pure entertainment.

Although what may be associated with the improvements of some sequels is mostly bigger budgets and subsequently better special effects, locations, cast, technology, etc. .

Still, the are exceptions when budgets are cut in some places, such as X-men where the original had a much better sound track (THX) which they discontinued in subsequent film. Even so, no amount of effect wizardry can overcome a bad story.

Most viewers don't care that much about sound, but for me, that's the only reason I still go to the movies. I always check the sound system when I choose a theater. Not that important in a drama, but can play a big part in an action/adventure film.

Of course, there are those films with multiple sequels, where film 3 may be better then 2 or the original, but that's a whole different discussion all on its own.

Here's my top favorite sci-fi part II, that I felt did better than their original. Do you have a list? What do you think?

T-2
X-men II
Blade II
Aliens
Jurassic Park II
Matrix II
I agree with you on those two. I was a big fan of the first Jurassic Park and Matrix. While I like the X-men I can't say one stands out that much more than the others. I liked The Empire Strikes Back better than A New Hope. But yeah not many sci-sequels stand up well to the originals.
Old 05-14-19, 11:02 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
There is a really cool documentary on Netflix IIRC where the town/region in Spain where this movie was shot (regarding the Sand Hill Cemetery scene) has this huge cult following. People often travelling out there to be where and see the area this was shot in. Over the years, of course, nature took it's course and a group of people made the realization that if it weren't restored it would be gone forever. The entire show is about how this group raised funds and gathered volunteers to dig back up the stones and recreate the scene as closely as they could to movie parameters. Was quite good.

I have always enjoyed the movie and the series surrounding that character, but found that seeing the doc made the enjoyment that much more.
Old 05-18-19, 02:52 PM
Twosheds

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just watched Overlord, started well, but kinda went off the boil at the end. Still enjoyed it though
Old 05-20-19, 07:59 AM
colorider
smorenivore

Saw Black Klansman on Friday. 9/10. I thought it was really well done.
Old 05-21-19, 05:49 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 9286 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts

T-2
X-men II
Blade II
Aliens
Jurassic Park II
Matrix II

Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan !!
Old 05-22-19, 10:08 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

My wife and just watched two new (to us) movies on BluRay disks from the library and enjoyed both.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, 9/10. Some good extra features including an entertaining 29 minutes "short" film by the same director.

Bohemian Rhapsody. We weren't/aren't big fans of Queen, but the musical numbers were good and the story was entertaining. 9/10.
Old 05-23-19, 03:46 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Abe_Froman View Post
Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan !!
I'll give you that. But I must include that as an ardent ST fan I thought the first movie was pretty unremarkable.
Old 05-23-19, 06:19 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 9286 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
I'll give you that. But I must include that as an ardent ST fan I thought the first movie was pretty unremarkable.

Agreed. And of course I'll also submit that the second series was better than the first.
Old 05-24-19, 09:21 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
My sister came over last night to watch a movie. When we get together we intentionally try to pick a really bad one for laughs. Last evenings selection was Battlefield Earth. This is based on the book by L. Ron Hubbard and had John Travolta as the space villain. It is hard to describe how really bad it was. Bad lines, bad acting, unbelievable and confusing plot line for a start. 1/10 for the movie itself. However, for unintended laughs it was off the scale. Very "entertaining".
Old 05-29-19, 03:18 PM
colorider
smorenivore

Saw Jurassic World the other day. Pretty lame but I sort of expected that. The first one was the only one I liked. 4/10
Old 05-29-19, 03:38 PM
Nolecountry13

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Documentary

I watched Knock Down the House last night - about average Americans running for political office using grassroots campaigns against established party candidates on both sides. It doesn’t matter which way you lean, this was a fascinating look at how conviction can overcome complacency. 10 out of 10.
Old 06-06-19, 09:51 PM
trsidn 
Jeff Vader

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8, Trek SU200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1042 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Airplane...10/10
Simply brilliant
Old 06-07-19, 12:57 AM
KraneXL

Pursued 2004

6/10

'Pursued" is one of those moving that bores you for 3/4 of the moving and then gets good for the last quarter. If you have the patience to sit through some of the most redundant scenes of a psychopathic headhunter in relentless pursuit of his charge, it will deliver some modicum of excitement in the end.

Genres

Drama, Suspense

Starring

Christian Slater, Gil Bellows, Estella Warren

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.